PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Starting a Guild

LoyalPaladin
2015-02-24, 10:05 AM
Good morning, Playground!

I was talking to one of my fellow adventurers last night about starting a guild in our campaign. We found a base of operations that is nearly abandoned and we have a pretty good sum of money. Now, while adventuring around the plane of the internet, we have come up with absolutely zero rules on how much it costs to renovate a complex or start a guild.

So now I am coming to you! Do you know if there are preset rules to this? Or is this more of the "ask your DM" category? If it is one of those questions, what would you recommend the costs and stipulations be?

Paladin Edit:
I should probably mention we are playing D&D 3.5!

BowStreetRunner
2015-02-24, 10:45 AM
You can find info on Guilds in Cityscape starting on page 84 and in DMGII page 223.
You can find info on PC organizations in DMGII starting on page 210.
You can find info on Affiliations in PHBII starting on page 163.

LoyalPaladin
2015-02-24, 11:09 AM
You can find info on Guilds in Cityscape starting on page 84 and in DMGII page 223.
You can find info on PC organizations in DMGII starting on page 210.
You can find info on Affiliations in PHBII starting on page 163.
Awesome! I'll give those a read on my lunch!

Red Fel
2015-02-24, 02:56 PM
So now I am coming to you! Do you know if there are preset rules to this? Or is this more of the "ask your DM" category? If it is one of those questions, what would you recommend the costs and stipulations be?

I'd say this is pretty soundly "ask your DM" territory, and here's why: Even if there are rules on creating guilds, it's up to your DM to make something actually happen as a result. You could easily follow the rules, fill out the paperwork, hang out a shingle, and then... Nothing. Or something. The fact is, it could be too far afield from what your DM had in mind for the campaign, it could be beyond his expertise to operate, it could require more time investment than a party of adventurers can reasonably afford, it could be any number of things. You really should clear it with the DM.

And if he thinks it's a great idea? Maybe he'll let you set it up cheaper/easier than the rules otherwise would.

As for costs and stipulations? Well, you haven't actually said what kind of guild it is. People seem to use the word "guild" as though it's some kind of magically precise and technical term that perfectly evokes an exact definition across human consciousness, and it isn't. Is this an adventuring guild? A mercantile guild? An assassins' or mapmakers' guild? Does it function as a referral service, a trade union, a mandatory and government-regulated membership or mutual convenience association? Do you plan to collect dues and have a charter, have an official seal, or just operate on secret handshakes and the honor system? You've said absolutely nothing about the purpose or function of the organization. You might as well have said "Let's start a business," and you'd have told me as much.

In the words of one of my favorite Evil Doctors, "I'm the boss. Need the info."

almightycoma
2015-02-24, 02:56 PM
You should check out strong hold builders guide. It has rule/guidelines for how much spaces cost, and the cost and time of the things you want to put in it. it may be a 3.0 book though I'm not sure.

LoyalPaladin
2015-02-24, 03:12 PM
it could require more time investment than a party of adventurers can reasonably afford, it could be any number of things.
For this, I actually planned on letting my cohort remain behind to manage this as more of a 2nd in command. To maintain the DM's sanity on the field.

You really should clear it with the DM.

And if he thinks it's a great idea? Maybe he'll let you set it up cheaper/easier than the rules otherwise would.
I did send him a message about it earlier in the day. I just wanted to understand any pre-existing rules while I talked to him. To save us both time.

As for costs and stipulations? Well, you haven't actually said what kind of guild it is.
I'd go for more of a helpful adventurer's guild. We could have people to bolster a city guard or save a cat from a tree!

In the words of one of my favorite Evil Doctors, "I'm the boss. Need the info."
You the boss big Red.