PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Trying to optimize a build concept using Monk, BM Fighter, and Rogue (Assas)

Whistler
2015-02-24, 12:42 PM
So I'm currently playing a campaign as a Wizard and love it a lot, but I want to have a build ready in mind for if/when I start into another one. I want to explore a melee focused character who has a few tricks up his sleeves.

The RP concept is that he's a Bounty Hunter, so non-leathal solutions (restrain, stun, trip) etc. are bonuses, but not 100% needed at every turn. I think I for sure want to have some levels in Monk, as the melee focused one (Open Palm or w/e). Battlemaster or Assassin are what I'm looking at multi-classing into, but I'm just not sure how much. BMs have their maneuvers, which I think sounds like a lot of fun. Assassin would be a more "deadly" vibe to it, but I also like the idea of being a little sneaky when taking down targets. I'd considered a BM/Assassin combo, but I'm not sure how well that would work out. I would also be open to all 3 classes in combination, but I'm not sure how best to build that.

I'm not looking for 100% optimization, but our DM can be pretty hard on us, so survival in combat is pretty important.

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-24, 01:26 PM
So I'm currently playing a campaign as a Wizard and love it a lot, but I want to have a build ready in mind for if/when I start into another one. I want to explore a melee focused character who has a few tricks up his sleeves.

The RP concept is that he's a Bounty Hunter, so non-leathal solutions (restrain, stun, trip) etc. are bonuses, but not 100% needed at every turn. I think I for sure want to have some levels in Monk, as the melee focused one (Open Palm or w/e). Battlemaster or Assassin are what I'm looking at multi-classing into, but I'm just not sure how much. BMs have their maneuvers, which I think sounds like a lot of fun. Assassin would be a more "deadly" vibe to it, but I also like the idea of being a little sneaky when taking down targets. I'd considered a BM/Assassin combo, but I'm not sure how well that would work out. I would also be open to all 3 classes in combination, but I'm not sure how best to build that.

I'm not looking for 100% optimization, but our DM can be pretty hard on us, so survival in combat is pretty important.

Rogue 2/Fighter 3 (BM, menecing strike is key)/Monk (shadow) 15 (this gets you proficiency in all saves at level 20, nice capstone.

Build: Fighter 3 (BM)/Monk 17 (shadow) is nice if you don't like rogue in the mixture, which if you go shadow monk you really won't need.

Rogue allow you to save some ki on mobility and allows you to have expertise. Fighter gives you menecing strike (DC is based on Dex I think). Shadow Monk improves your mobility and utility (and may obsolete Rogue so plan out however you like) along with giving you some goodie martial arts. Although you don't get as many ASI, you won't need them all that much. Go with Wood Elf or Variant Human.

Fluff as needed.

Fighter (BM) 3/Monk (shadow) 17
Fighter (BM) 3/rogue 2/Monk 15 (open palm or elemental)

Since you have monk and all their goodies you probably won't find BM all that fun, on paper they look nice but their selection of abilities kinda suck. Menecing Strike is golden though and they make good support abilities but not very good main abilities.

Also, if you want a Fighter/Rogue that has a bit of fun look at my Rodeo Master build, using the BM once imbriding a creature works out recently well in the one shots I've played in (low and high level).

Whistler
2015-02-24, 01:38 PM
Awesome, thanks for breaking down a few options for me! These all look great. I didn't think ahead far enough to realize Shadow Monk and Rogue might have some overlapping. I'll keep that in mind.

Fighter/Rogue sounds like it could be fun too, and work with my RP/fluff idea well enough, so I'll make sure I check out that build.

Mandragola
2015-02-24, 02:01 PM
Shadow monk/Assassin is a fairly common idea and there's been a thread about it kicking around here. It might be a bit darker than what you're suggesting though. People generally want a minimum of 6 monk levels for shadow step and at least 3 rogue levels for assassin, then focus in one or other. I'm not sure adding BM would really be that great.

You might do something entirely different and be a fighter with the grappler or tavern brawler feat. I've never really looked too seriously at either though if I'm honest.

calebrus
2015-02-24, 02:09 PM
Awesome, thanks for breaking down a few options for me! These all look great. I didn't think ahead far enough to realize Shadow Monk and Rogue might have some overlapping. I'll keep that in mind.

There isn't as much overlap as people suggest.
The only real concerns for overlap are:
1) evasion (which both get at 7, and you probably won't be splitting that evenly so it becomes moot)
2) the level 2 ability Step of the Wind becomes redundant because it costs Ki whereas Cunning Action is free (and simply better)

Whistler
2015-02-24, 02:13 PM
Shadow monk/Assassin is a fairly common idea and there's been a thread about it kicking around here. It might be a bit darker than what you're suggesting though. People generally want a minimum of 6 monk levels for shadow step and at least 3 rogue levels for assassin, then focus in one or other. I'm not sure adding BM would really be that great.

You might do something entirely different and be a fighter with the grappler or tavern brawler feat. I've never really looked too seriously at either though if I'm honest.

Great, I'll dig around for that thread. Any reason to choose open palm over shadow? I kind of like the flavor of open palm, but it would nice if it was actually a good choice to make a build from.

Whistler
2015-02-24, 02:14 PM
There isn't as much overlap as people suggest.
The only real concerns for overlap are:
1) evasion (which both get at 7, and you probably won't be splitting that evenly so it becomes moot)
2) some of the level 2 abilities Step of the Wind and Cunning Action. Step of the Wind becomes redundant because it costs Ki whereas Cunning Action is free.

Thanks, I'll remember that and make sure I split up any multiclassing in a way that avoids redundancies like the ones you listed.

zhdarkstar
2015-02-24, 05:19 PM
Whistler, I have a build that I've been toying with if you want a build that's a little less optimized, but has RP that goes well with your handle. I call it The Drow Daywalker.

Race: Half-elf(Turami/Drow)
Fighter 1/Rogue(Assassin) 5/Monk(Open hand)
Str 10 Dex 16 Con 14 Int 8 Wis 16 Cha 10

Grab a Sun Blade, Goggles of Night, and Cloak of Elvenkind to complete the ensemble.