PDA

View Full Version : How small (tiny?) can I get?

Dalebert
2015-02-24, 02:49 PM
If I'm playing a gnome transmuter and I keep using my stone to reduce my apparent age until I'm 13, how small will I be?

Also, how much bling do you s'pose I could get offering to make noble women look younger?

jazzymantis
2015-02-24, 03:23 PM
Also, with that in mind, how big are other tiny creatures? How big are pixies, sprites, pseudodragons, imps, quasits, or faerie dragons? Lets say compared to other tiny creatures like a cat, or a mouse? Could a sprite mount a pseudodragon? Would a faerie dragon eat an imp?

For stirge I found the description.

"cross between a large bad and over sized mosquito" -MM

But many of these other creatures do not have size description in the description.

These kind of questions depending on how "tiny" you are.

burninatortrog
2015-02-24, 03:26 PM
These seem like questions for your DM. Also, noble men want to look younger too!

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-02-24, 03:28 PM
Also, with that in mind, how big are other tiny creatures? How big are pixies, sprites, pseudodragons, imps, quasits, or faerie dragons? Lets say compared to other tiny creatures like a cat, or a mouse? Could a sprite mount a pseudodragon? Would a faerie dragon eat an imp?

For stirge I found the description.

"cross between a large bad and over sized mosquito" -MM

But many of these other creatures do not have size description in the description.

These kind of questions depending on how "tiny" you are.

Large enough to fully command a 2.5' by 2.5' area of space.

Shining Wrath
2015-02-24, 03:35 PM
The game has no size category for creatures smaller than "tiny". It is absurd to assume all tiny creatures are the same size any more than an elf is the same size as a dragonborn.

So, your DM will tell you what size a 13 year old gnome is. And your DM will tell you what the smallest thing a Druid can wild shape into might be, and what limitations might be incurred (I'd tend to rule a Druid the size of an ant can't see very far).

Slipperychicken
2015-02-25, 04:14 PM
Also, how much bling do you s'pose I could get offering to make noble women look younger?

I think that, given time, you could get all blinged up.

Also, even if the power has limited duration (I'm AFB right now), I'm sure you could get significant bling by selling artificial youth to sex-workers and their employers.

Dalebert
2015-02-25, 04:58 PM
Also, even if the power has limited duration (I'm AFB right now)

Nope. I assume that one continues to age normally and it is purely cosmetic. So, for instance, if you're 60 and you roll 20, I would assume you are now 60 for purposes of health and life expectancy but you look 40 and next year you'll be 61 (actual age)/41(appearance). Does anyone else interpret it differently?

Slipperychicken
2015-02-25, 07:33 PM
Nope. I assume that one continues to age normally and it is purely cosmetic. So, for instance, if you're 60 and you roll 20, I would assume you are now 60 for purposes of health and life expectancy but you look 40 and next year you'll be 61 (actual age)/41(appearance). Does anyone else interpret it differently?

I finally got to check my PHB, and it looks like you're right.

Madfellow
2015-02-25, 08:27 PM
Just for fun:

The smallest you can be at character creation is 2'9" and 37 lb. if you play a halfling.

If you play a Wild Magic Sorcerer and roll an 11 or 12 on the Wild Magic Surge table, you grow or shrink by d10". Theoretically, there's no limit to the number of times this can affect you, or to how small you can get.

And if you drink two Potions of Diminution at once, there is a 1% chance that their effects become permanent. Potions of Diminution cause your size to halve in all dimensions, your weight to divide by 8, and you become one size category smaller. So the aforementioned halfling becomes 1'4" and weighs only 4 lb.!

Dalebert
2015-02-25, 09:41 PM
The smallest you can be at character creation is 2'9" and 37 lb. if you play a halfling.

I was pretty surprised to find that they made halflings smaller than gnomes. I thought gnomes were the smallest.

That's all pretty cool but I meant specifically via this method. So basically, anyone have any idea how tall a 13 year-old gnome is? I realize the book doesn't go into it and it's not a RAW question. I already know I can ask my DM but I'm asking for thoughts and opinions. I suppose it makes sense to compare the height of a 13 year-old human to a full grown human to get an idea. No? I think I was already 5 feet tall by then compared to an eventual 5'8 but how much can it vary? Maybe I was on the tall side for my age. It seems tall now that I think about it. Girls get their adolescent growth spurt earlier than boys also. Something to think about.

Gritmonger
2015-02-25, 10:37 PM
I was pretty surprised to find that they made halflings smaller than gnomes. I thought gnomes were the smallest.

That's all pretty cool but I meant specifically via this method. So basically, anyone have any idea how tall a 13 year-old gnome is? I realize the book doesn't go into it and it's not a RAW question. I already know I can ask my DM but I'm asking for thoughts and opinions. I suppose it makes sense to compare the height of a 13 year-old human to a full grown human to get an idea. No? I think I was already 5 feet tall by then compared to an eventual 5'8 but how much can it vary? Maybe I was on the tall side for my age. It seems tall now that I think about it. Girls get their adolescent growth spurt earlier than boys also. Something to think about.

My son was already 4'11 by the time he was 13. So, roughly, you'd be looking at maybe a 10% drop in height, maybe 20% on the outside. But it's not like you'd pop into toddler size (~ 50% height reduction)

Dalebert
2015-02-26, 11:48 AM
My son was already 4'11 by the time he was 13. So, roughly, you'd be looking at maybe a 10% drop in height, maybe 20% on the outside. But it's not like you'd pop into toddler size (~ 50% height reduction)

Yeah, I think that's about right. However, I only weighed right at about 100 lbs, almost half my current weight. I think it might be a good way to weigh less and possibly even get into the range of your Unseen Servant being able to carry you. I have to look that spell up again.

Shining Wrath
2015-02-26, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I think that's about right. However, I only weighed right at about 100 lbs, almost half my current weight. I think it might be a good way to weigh less and possibly even get into the range of your Unseen Servant being able to carry you. I have to look that spell up again.

These charts for RW Humans may help you:
http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/set2clinical/cj41c071.pdf
http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/set2clinical/cj41l072.pdf
http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/set2clinical/cj41l075.pdf
http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/set2clinical/cj41l076.pdf

Since boys mature later for girls in RW humans the numbers differ based on sex. Since gnomes take longer to mature than humans your 13 year old gnome will be less developed than a 13 year old human. If you take a 13 year old gnome as being equivalent to, say, an 8 year old human male then reading the charts gives that a 50th percentile 8 year old is about 50" tall, and is about 70" tall at maturity; he'll weigh about 58 pounds at 8, and about 155 at maturity.

So use 70% (50/70) of the height of a mature gnome, and 35% (58/155) of the weight.

Frenth Alunril
2015-02-26, 07:19 PM

Pretty sure dnd halflings have always been smaller than gnomes. I think some recent fiction has truly messed up some classic fantasy. Sparkly vampires, non ravenous werewolves...

I think I'm gonna watch legend again and pretend the last 30 years never happened.

Dalebert
2015-02-27, 04:34 PM
Pretty sure dnd halflings have always been smaller than gnomes. I think some recent fiction has truly messed up some classic fantasy. Sparkly vampires, non ravenous werewolves...

Well, I may be horribly wrong about this but I was under the impression that Tolkien invented halflings (hobbits). Meanwhile, gnome legends have been around for many centuries and to my understanding were very tiny, like leprechauns or something, maybe a foot tall. So they were grown into a more playable size to be PCs. Still seems quite odd to me that they're bigger than halflings.

some guy
2015-03-01, 08:58 AM
Well, I may be horribly wrong about this but I was under the impression that Tolkien invented halflings (hobbits). Meanwhile, gnome legends have been around for many centuries and to my understanding were very tiny, like leprechauns or something, maybe a foot tall. So they were grown into a more playable size to be PCs. Still seems quite odd to me that they're bigger than halflings.

Yeah, it's weird. I always switch the two sizes as a house rule in my games.

Edit: Also, don't forget to reduce your size with Enlarge/Reduce for an extra 50% off! Maybe research a heightened version of the spell with a longer duration.

Dalebert
2015-03-01, 09:52 AM
As a general rule, I apply ADV or DIS based on relative size with regard to stealth if there is at least a difference of two sizes. In other words, a huge creature had DIS against a medium-sized creature and a small creature has ADV against a large creature and so forth. I guess they decided not to specify a bunch of things like this but I wish they had at least put out some suggested guidelines. I feel like a lot of DMs just ignore it completely if it's not spelled out somewhere. I guess that's a holdover from previous editions when they spelled out everything.