PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Choosing a 5e class

Duny
2015-02-24, 03:20 PM
Hi :)

I'm fairly green when it comes to d&d (only played a handful of sessions, but have a fair grasp regarding rules and mechanics, but mostly pathfinder) and i'm rolling a character for our group's first 5e session. So far we have two arcane casters and 3 front-line combatants, and i'm trying to find a class that will help complete the party.
So my question is, regarding class abilities etc., which class would best fit the part?

(So far i'm mostly divided between cleric, druid and bard)

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-02-24, 03:23 PM
(So far i'm mostly divided between cleric, druid and bard)

Yes. Also, rogue. :smalltongue:

Oscredwin
2015-02-24, 03:30 PM
Rogue, Bard, Ranger, and Fighter (as well as multiclassing between them) make good archers, which seems to be left out of your group.

Shining Wrath
2015-02-24, 03:32 PM
So let's rule out front-line fighters and arcane casters and see what's left.
Barbarian - front line fighter
Bard - really draws much of her power from arcane caster, but the game's best skill monkey
Cleric - many different varieties. If all us fails, something here will work. A Knowledge Devotion cleric will let you be a skill monkey, a Life Devotion cleric will keep everyone alive.
Druid - workable; not a healer or a skill monkey, but a fair amount of utility
Fighter - front line fighter
Monk - maybe the shadow archetype, but I think this is mainly a fighter
Paladin - front line fighter
Ranger - an archer build ranger would do good damage and has some out of combat utility
Rogue - hits hard and brings the skills
Sorcerer - arcane caster
Warlock - arcane caster
Wizard - arcane caster

If your arcane casters are damage dealers (Sorcerers, Warlocks, Evokers) go Cleric. If you need someone who can bring all the hurt in a big hurry, Assassin template Rogue.

JAL_1138
2015-02-24, 03:51 PM
Valor Bard does a little of everything, has some healing, hands out extra dice like candy, and is one of the better skillmonkeys. Falls behind a Lore bard a little in that department but is still good. With no cleric, two arcane casters already, and three frontliners, I'd take that over Rogue or Lore Bard (although Lore Bard would be a better caster and healer). You'd be a good candidate to hang back and protect the other spellcasters while doing some damage from ranged attacks, melee attacks if anybody closes in. Your spell list is a pretty good buff/debuff/healing/shenanigans mix with the occasional bit of damage in there, and that's before you start stealing other spells. Combat Inspiration can help the frontliners deal some pain and help the casters keep up concentration spells by boosting their AC.

Duny
2015-02-24, 04:00 PM
So if I would to build a ranged character (with a possibility for healing when in need) would ranger (for ranged dmg) , cleric (for heal), bard(for utility+) or druid be able to pull this of best?

(The ranger's spell list might be a little to scarce?)

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-02-24, 04:12 PM
So if I would to build a ranged character (with a possibility for healing when in need) would ranger (for ranged dmg) , cleric (for heal), bard(for utility+) or druid be able to pull this of best?

(The ranger's spell list might be a little to scarce?)

Ranger would give you solid ranged damage, but only token healing. Not enough spell slots to do much of it, and it would eat into your damage.

Clerics can work at range, either with a Dex build or relying on Sacred Flame, but won't give you much damage unless you're using spells for it (As in a Light or Thunder Cleric). Fantastic Healing and support.

Bards do it all. But generally excel at none of it, unless you are very focused in the optimization. Their spell list is generally geared towards crowd control with a dash of everything else. There's also a lot of ultility spells on the list, but unfortunately being a spontaneous caster means you'll likely never chose those spells. Magical secrets helps a lot with the limited spell list, but comes late, especially for Valor Bards.

Shining Wrath
2015-02-24, 10:18 PM
The best ranged builds are Fighters and Rangers, neither of which gives good healing. I think you'll wind up with either a Dexterity based bard or one of the blasty clerics (Light, Tempest, War) and use your cantrips.

Mrmox42
2015-02-25, 10:42 AM
I agree. I would go Cleric og Bard.

NeoSeraphi
2015-02-25, 11:38 AM
My vote is for Thief rogue. You're in a group with FIVE other players. Combat is going to be a nightmare anyway, so don't worry about your contribution there. Just focus on having tons of fun RPing and breaking in to every building you find.

Flickerdart
2015-02-25, 11:47 AM
You have three front-liners, and arcanists output decent damage too. Don't concern yourself too much with how well you can shoot a bow.

Duny
2015-02-26, 09:45 AM
Thanks for nice inputs :)

I think i'm maybe leaning towards a bard, possibly lore bard

Slipperychicken
2015-02-26, 11:15 AM
A rogue would have a very easy time scoring sneak attacks in this party. A lightfoot halfling rogue doubly so, since he can hide behind allies' legs for free advantage.

Also, I'm wondering what it would be like to play a Halfling fiend-patron Warlock with the Lucky feat. Between automatically rerolling 1s, your three Lucky rerolls per long rest, and Dark One's Own Luck (add 1d10 to one roll per long rest), it would be pretty hard to screw up any important roll.

Duny
2015-02-26, 11:22 AM
A rogue would have a very easy time scoring sneak attacks in this party. A lightfoot halfling rogue doubly so, since he can hide behind allies' legs for free advantage.

Also, I'm wondering what it would be like to play a Halfling fiend-patron Warlock with the Lucky feat. Between automatically rerolling 1s, your three Lucky rerolls per long rest, and Dark One's Own Luck (add 1d10 to one roll per long rest), it would be pretty hard to screw up any important roll.

That's true..
Haha, would definitely be fun to try once :P

Duny
2015-02-26, 02:41 PM
Trying to figure out multi class rules and possibilities.
Would there be any point to "lose" 1 bard lvl and take life cleric for proficiency and spells?
Or is just straight lore bard a better choice?

Madfellow
2015-02-26, 03:14 PM
Trying to figure out multi class rules and possibilities.
Would there be any point to "lose" 1 bard lvl and take life cleric for proficiency and spells?
Or is just straight lore bard a better choice?

Anything a level 1 Life Cleric can give you, a straight Bard can pick it up eventually. I don't think it's worth it.

Oscredwin
2015-02-26, 03:28 PM
Anything a level 1 Life Cleric can give you, a straight Bard can pick it up eventually. I don't think it's worth it.

Heavy Armor prof.

DM12
2015-02-26, 03:31 PM
Heavy Armor prof.

Yes but with all those melee combatants armor is almost completely irrelevant.

JAL_1138
2015-02-26, 03:36 PM
Heavy Armor prof.

Not terribly vital over picking up bard levels faster, but nice to have. Valor bards get medium. Lore bards are squishier, true, but that's what the three frontliners in that party are for (meat shields). Pump Dex high enough and you're reasonably decent without it even as a Lore bard.

Edit: Shadow Path Monk'd