PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Sarkans [Race]

Vhaidara
2015-02-24, 07:17 PM
EDIT: To clear up any confusion, the race was originally named Draconians

So, we have the descendants of all kinds of creatures: Celestials, Fiends, elementals, bloody vampires, but we don't have a race for those descended from Dragons. So I figured I would make the Sarkans. Fluffwise, they would be similar to 3.5's spellscales, but with a specific dragon heritage. Also, similar to aasimar and tieflings, they can just kind of pop up.

Sarkans will sometimes reference a "Parent Race". This means the race that they are descended from, and must be a standard race (not a mixed breed), such as Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, etc. If you have questions, ask you GM what counts

Base Racial Traits (1)
Ability Score Racial Traits: Varies depending on the element of your draconic heritage
Type: Humanoid (Dragonkin, Parent Race): Sarkans are considered Dragons for the purposes of feats and abilities. Knowledge (Local) determines that they are an unusual specimen of their parent race. Knowledge (Arcana) identified them as a Sarkan, but does not identify the parent race.
Size: Small, Medium or Large, as Parent Race. If Large, the Sarkan suffers an additional -2 to their Dexterity Score
Base Speed: As Parent Race
Languages: Common, Draconic, Parent Racial language. Any from high Int

Defensive Racial Traits (3)
Energy Resistance: Sarkans have 5 Resistance to the element of their Draconic Heritage
Natural Armor: Sarkans often have tougher skin or even scales, giving them a +1 natural armor bonus

Feat and Skill Racial Traits (1)
Greed: The natural avarice of dragons has bled into the Sarkans, and they know well the value of their belongings. They gain a +2 bonus on Appraise checks to determine the price of non-magical goods that contain precious metals or gemstones.

Magical Traits (1)
Draconic Affinity:If a Sarkan has a Draconic Bloodline (such as from Sorcerer or Bloodrager levels), it treats its Charisma score as 2 points higher for all sorcerer spells and class abilities. This trait does not give members of this race early access to level-based powers; it only affects powers that they could already use without this trait.

Movement Racial Traits (4)
Gliding: A Sarkan can glide, negating damage from a fall from any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Most Sarkans possess wings, and this is written with that in mind. However, some Sarkans fly through inborn magic. The choice is made at level 1, and is purely cosmetic.

Sarkans glide at a speed of 30 feet with average maneuverability. Even if a Sarkan’s maneuverability improves, she can’t hover while gliding. A Sarkan can’t glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a Sarkan becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl, and powerful ligaments stiffen them. The Sarkan descends slowly in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter the actual distance of the fall.

Flight: When a Sarkan reaches 6 HD, she gains a fly speed of 30 feet with average maneuverability. A Sarkan can’t fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. A Sarkan can safely fly for a number of consecutive rounds equal to her Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). She can double this length of flight but is fatigued by such exertion. The Sarkan is likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because a Sarkan can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, she can remain aloft for extended periods, even if she can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued.

When she reaches 12 HD, a Sarkan has enough stamina and prowess to fly without tiring. She can fly at a speed of 30 feet (average maneuverability) with no more exertion than walking or running. A Sarkan with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.

Senses Traits (2)
Darkvision 60ft: Sarkans, unlike most creatures, can actually see in the dark in color. It is often helpful when appraising their valuables in the night.

Ability Scores and Energy types: Based on the Energy type of their Draconic Ancestor's Breath Weapon, Sarkans have differing ability score adjustments
Fire: +2 Str, +2 Cha, -2 Wis
Cold: +2 Str, +2 Int, -2 Cha
Earth (Acid/Poison): +2 Con, +2 Cha, -2 Dex
Electricity: +2 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Str

Alternate Racial Traits

Dragon Tail: Some Sarkans possess a powerful tail, a manifestation of their heritage. This gives them a +2 bonus on Swim checks and Acrobatics checks made to keep their balance. Additionally, they gain a Tail Slap attack.This is a secondary natural attack that deals 1d4 damage. This replaces the Draconic Affinity racial trait

Skybourne: The Sarkan has a particular talent and love for flying. She gains +2 to Fly checks. This replaces the Greed racial trait

Weapons of the Drake: Some Sarkans are born with powerful claws or jaws. The Sarkan can choose a bite attack that deals 1d6 points of damage or two claws that each deal 1d4 points of damage. These attacks are primary natural attacks. This racial trait replaces the Flight racial trait.

IZ42
2015-02-24, 10:21 PM
Looks good so far. Do you have a specific bonus for the Greed Racial Trait? Something like a flat +2 to appraise jewelry/precious metals, magical or not. You should also consider that dragons have bonuses to saves against sleep and paralysis, as well as bonuses to perception/darkvision. Maybe factor those in somewhere?

Vhaidara
2015-02-24, 10:24 PM
Looks good so far. Do you have a specific bonus for the Greed Racial Trait? Something like a flat +2 to appraise jewelry/precious metals, magical or not.

I actually started this two nights ago and got interrupted. Forgot to include the mechanical side of that.

You should also consider that dragons have bonuses to saves against sleep and paralysis, as well as bonuses to perception/darkvision. Maybe factor those in somewhere?

Darkvision I forgot about, though the saves thing just seems like something to drive up Race Point cost. I'd be more inclined to make that an alternative for the natural armor.

Almarck
2015-02-25, 12:57 AM
Well this is a neat surprise. Strangely never knew why paizo never made their own dragon rave yet. I mean they've got the time to think of one!

Still, I like the division idea, though a part of me kinda wished it follows chromatic divisions instead of base elements

stack
2015-02-25, 03:32 PM
Bloodline should probably specify draconic bloodlines, not just bloodlines in general.

Many will object to level 1 flight of course.

Nice way to cover the varied parentage.

Goblins have an advantage over slow small races.

Vhaidara
2015-02-25, 03:37 PM
The flight is the most powerful aspect of it, but it's worth noting that Clumsy flight is actually kind of awful. You take a -8 to your Fly skill (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/fly). So on anything but a light armored Dex based character, it's usefulness is surprisingly limited.

EDIT: Also, fixed bloodlines. And that's an issue with goblins more than Draconians.

Almarck
2015-02-25, 04:04 PM
Questiom, why habe a parent race? Was it tp link themoup or replace with half dragons in a thematic niche?

Also, I dont understand do the racial traits of the parent race "bleed"ihto yours? I did not catch text that stated they didn't but that could just be me missing it since its not bolded

Vhaidara
2015-02-25, 04:12 PM
Basically, you get the Humanoid subtype, base move speed, language, and size of the parent race. This is actually a broad stroke change I want to make to Tieflings, Aasimar, and all of the other touched races.

Draconians are not meant to be a pure-breeding race. They're meant to be to dragons what Tieflings are to Fiends.

stack
2015-02-25, 08:29 PM
What about undersized weapons, powerful build, and other size-related traits? Losing undersized weapons would be a boost for gamla-based draconians.

Vhaidara
2015-02-25, 08:46 PM
...Stupid Akashic races and your balancing negative racial abilities.

Vhaidara
2015-02-25, 09:33 PM
Do you think a clause about "Size-modifying racial features" being inherited would work? Things like Undersized Weapons and powerful build

Almarck
2015-02-25, 09:40 PM
Then it means people will roll half giant draconians than other medium sized races for the free powerful build.

I think it might be simpler just give a small, medium, and large option, with their own sizes and speed drawbacks instead of having "parent races" determine those things for them. They still vaguely have the shape of the desired race, cosmeticaly, but people can tell they're not typical members of their society. I mean, as far as I know, Tiefling and Aasamar do not distinguish between dwarven, human, elven, or halfling varieties in a mechanical matter (except for size).

Just give a free racial language aside from draconic to represent their racial heritage and it's enough.

On the plus side, it means that sometimes, halflings might give birth to large sized draconians.

LibraryOgre
2015-02-25, 10:40 PM
Canon draconians (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragonlance_creatures#Draconians) were something like Fiendish Half-Dragons.

Vhaidara
2015-02-25, 10:49 PM
Canon draconians (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragonlance_creatures#Draconians) were something like Fiendish Half-Dragons.

I know the term has been used elsewhere, but I was struggling to find a name that didn't sound stupid.

IZ42
2015-02-25, 11:01 PM
Few Suggestions:

Nagarr: Burmese word for Dragon
Ajagara: Hindi word for Dragon
Sarkan: Modified Hungarian Word for Dragon
Lizus: Polish word for Reptile

Any of those could work with some modification for race names.

Vhaidara
2015-02-25, 11:40 PM
I like Sarkanians.

Wait, does that mean Sark is Hungarian for Dragon?

IZ42
2015-02-25, 11:45 PM
I like Sarkanians.

Wait, does that mean Sark is Hungarian for Dragon?

Actually it was something like Sárkány I believe.

stack
2015-02-26, 08:25 AM
I would say size equal to the parents, with fixed speeds and weapon sizes for each creature size. Easiest would be to exclude large races entirely. I suppose a clause specifically carrying over undersized weapons would work, but it's tricky to make broadly applicable. Anytime you remove racial traits you have to deal with the fact that some are positiv and some are negative. For gamla, you are keeping the size, which is a positive in most cases. There may be a case of undersized weapons that is a balance against a non-size trait though. I am not aware of any right off, but it could happen.

Vhaidara
2015-02-26, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure I want to allow for Large options. If I do, how about these for further stat mods

Small: +2 Dex, -2 Str
Medium: No changes
Large: +2 Str, -2 Dex

Almarck
2015-02-26, 10:51 AM
That would drive up the points ccot and not deter large draconicans. In fact many of them would see the trade off as being fair as it means more strength to throw around. Same for small builds as the extra dex can be used for everything and the strength penalty isn't that bad. Worse when stacked with the right elements.

I think it would just be simpler to attach a negative racial to large size to reduce its cost, leaving medium and small the same as they are now.

Speaking of racial attributes. I just noticed 3 out of 4 elements favor dexterity and none of them favor strength and only one boosts charisma. If this was any other race, I would let it go, but we are dealing with dragon offspring. How often are dragons described as being nimble and dexterous, especially once they get huge?

stack
2015-02-26, 10:52 AM
Granting +4 dex is a pretty big deal for many builds.

Vhaidara
2015-02-26, 10:54 AM
That would drive up the points ccot and not deter large draconicans. In fact many of them would see the trade off as being fair as it means more strength to throw around. Same for small builds as the extra dex can be used for everything and the strength penalty isn't that bad. Worse when stacked with the right elements.

Fair.

I think it would just be simpler to attach a negative racial to large size to reduce its cost, leaving medium and small the same as they are now.

So just tack a -2 Dex onto Large Draconians?

Speaking of racial attributes. I just noticed 3 out of 4 elements favor dexterity and none of them favor strength and only one boosts charisma. If this was any other race, I would let it go, but we are dealing with dragon offspring. How often are dragons described as being nimble and dexterous, especially once they get huge?

I just noticed that too... Changing Cold and Fire to Str and Earth to Cha.

Vhaidara
2015-07-08, 06:25 PM
Okay, made a few changes. Mostly, nerfed flight by copy-pasting the Dragonborn Flight from 3.5.

Also added a pair of alternate racial traits.