PDA

View Full Version : Kingdoms of Kalamar Feats

FocusWolf413
2015-02-24, 10:19 PM
Do the feats from kingdoms of kalamar (expert timing, irresistible spell, miser with magic, etc) seem a little unbalancing or overpowered to anyone? Irresistible spell, which removes the save from spells, seems like the worst offender.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-24, 10:23 PM
Do the feats from kingdoms of kalamar (expert timing, irresistible spell, miser with magic, etc) seem a little unbalancing or overpowered to anyone? Irresistible spell, which removes the save from spells, seems like the worst offender.

Welcome to KoK, and ya their mechanics are famously broken, one way or the other. Still love that setting though.

You may want to look at Players Guide to the Sovereign Lands, as that is KoKs 3.5 update, things got a bit better but Irresistible Spell is still nuts (it gives a +10 to the save DC.)

Irresistible Spell at least makes you pay for it at least, Miser with Magic just makes you be level 7 (more or less)

FocusWolf413
2015-02-24, 10:25 PM
I feel like a mailman build with expert timing and irresistible spell would be terrifying.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-24, 10:29 PM
I feel like a mailman build with expert timing and irresistible spell would be terrifying.

Certain builds do use them, personally i dont because i find that +4 spell level to not be worth it (my opinion) also since KoK has no innate Metamagic reduction (except one really bad PrC) so theres no way to reduce that, still very abusable.

CashanDraven
2015-02-24, 10:57 PM
First of all, props on someone bringing up what is likely my favorite setting.

Child of the Earth: Luck bonus to all saves equal to your Con. Sure you have to be from a certain region but still a powerful feat as everyone needs Con.

Fearless: Your are immune to shaken, and all fear effects are lessened by one stage.

Improved Cover: Improve cover by one step, combine with a tower shield for fun.

Iron Touch of Kuk-Ma-Kali: Reduce the crit multiplier of a weapon by one when crit, which in some instances can negate a crit entirely.

Tough As Nails: Weapons that damage you, take half that damage to themselves. Meaning weapons can break when they hit you after enough wailing. With a good enough pool of temp hp (Stone Giant's Girdle anyone?) you can take someone out of the fight.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-24, 11:05 PM
Tough As Nails: Weapons that damage you, take half that damage to themselves. Meaning weapons can break when they hit you after enough wailing. With a good enough pool of temp hp (Stone Giant's Girdle anyone?) you can take someone out of the fight.

Had a Rankki Hobgoblin Fighter with this, did serious damage to enemies that relied on natural attacks (as they took half the damage dealt to me) It was pretty funny because i always had vigor on me, and i think i had another source of fast healing, so the enemy always had it worse.

Also *highfive* love this setting

CashanDraven
2015-02-24, 11:16 PM
Had a Rankki Hobgoblin Fighter with this, did serious damage to enemies that relied on natural attacks (as they took half the damage dealt to me) It was pretty funny because i always had vigor on me, and i think i had another source of fast healing, so the enemy always had it worse.

Also *highfive* love this setting

I don't think it would work against natural weapons, but if a dm let's it roll that way then so be it.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-25, 12:05 AM
I don't think it would work against natural weapons, but if a dm let's it roll that way then so be it.

Its because of the line talking about unarmed strikes, by RaI theres no reason that it wouldnt do the same for natural attacks.

Kraken
2015-02-25, 12:38 AM
The spell swap feat in KoK's Villain Design Handbook essentially allows wizards to use their spells like sorcerers, as long as they can pass a pitifully easy spellcraft check.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-25, 08:52 AM
The spell swap feat in KoK's Villain Design Handbook essentially allows wizards to use their spells like sorcerers, as long as they can pass a pitifully easy spellcraft check.

Pretty much, which is why no PC is ever allowed to take that feat with me. Villains can, but thats who it was for in the first place.

FocusWolf413
2015-02-25, 09:06 AM
I love the setting's flavor, but the feats will be strictly npc-only in all games I run.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-25, 09:14 AM
I love the setting's flavor, but the feats will be strictly npc-only in all games I run.

If you mean from the Villain Design handbook, yes, good plan. If you mean the General ones from PGttSL, thats not a great plan. Just ban Miser with Magic and Irresistible Spell, as that will cover the two big offenders. Expert Timing isnt horribly broken, its just a weird feat that lets you mess with mages (thats who i always used it on).

I believe i said it once, and i shall say so again. Get their 3.5 update, they do fix a bunch of stuff in there.

Doc_Maynot
2015-02-25, 09:15 AM
Movement Check is like an improved Stand Still and I usually take it on my reach fighters if I can.
It lets you do the damage and they stop moving, no save.

And it has Unerring Strike which is like a reverse Power Attack.