PDA

View Full Version : PF advice on spells for constructs

Jlooney
2015-02-25, 12:39 AM
Hey guys, i'm a level 3 generalist in a homebrew game. I'm going more utility wizard and we have another wizard that want's to be more blasty. Can you guys give me some advice for spells that are good against constructs and elementals? The only books i'm allowed to use are the core book, ult magic, ult combat and advanced race guide. I'm kind of at a loss and any advice would be welcome.

JDL
2015-02-25, 01:09 AM
Summon Monster spells. These ignore the magic immunity of many golems, absorb hp damage for your allies, increase your effective actions per round, provide cover against ranged attacks, threaten adjacent squares, and are often full of special abilities. If nothing else, they come in a variety of sizes to increase their effectiveness as trippers, grapplers and damage dealers.

Illusions, in particular figments. Mindless creatures such as constructs won't question why a silent image of a brick wall suddenly appears between itself and your allies. Note whether the spell is mind affecting or not before use, but Silent Image can make a huge impact in battlefield control against mindless constructs. This strategy is subject to your DM not playing the constructs as more intelligent than they should be, however; your mileage may vary.

Edit: Also, allies. I suppose I believe it should go without saying, but anything that enhances your allies' effectiveness in battle boosts your odds of winning. Enlarge Person on the cleric so not only can he threaten 10 ft. with his heavy mace, he can also apply this extra reach to his touch range healing spells. Mage Armor for your monk. Bull's Strength for your fighter. Grease isn't only for tripping your opponent, you can save one to free an ally from being grappled too.

Jlooney
2015-02-25, 09:32 AM
Yea I actually knew most of that but a reminder is always nice. I was looking at more of a spell that is just to mess up constructs.

Helluin
2015-02-25, 12:47 PM
Control construct is from ultimate magic, it's a 7th level spell though...

Psyren
2015-02-25, 12:57 PM
Yea I actually knew most of that but a reminder is always nice. I was looking at more of a spell that is just to mess up constructs.

Well the idea is NOT to go for a spell like that, since any day you prep it and you don't fight a construct, it's a wasted slot. Rather, you go for something like Create Pit that is going to work on a golem just as well as it does on a zombie etc.

Jlooney
2015-02-25, 01:51 PM
Normally I totally agree about a spell for a specific type but being a wizard I'm going to make a wand and scrolls. Also my DM specifically told me to take spells that are for constructs.

Psyren
2015-02-25, 03:07 PM
Normally I totally agree about a spell for a specific type but being a wizard I'm going to make a wand and scrolls. Also my DM specifically told me to take spells that are for constructs.

Wands and scrolls are bad ideas too because your caster level and save DC will be capped at the minimum, making them ineffective and a waste of money. (In addition, wands are capped at 4th level, so you would have to find a spell that fits in that range and is still useful.) If you really anticipate this being an issue you should probably go for a stave, and those tend to be very expensive.

In addition, I would wager what your GM really meant was "take spells that can help you against constructs" - rather than "take spells specifically designed to oppose constructs." The difference is subtle, but will mean a lot to you in the long run.

Jlooney
2015-02-25, 04:45 PM
No he said specifically constructs. Thanks for the advise anyway guys. Guess I'll just have to do this myself.

Psyren
2015-02-25, 04:59 PM
No he said specifically constructs.

I still don't think you understand what I'm saying but very well.

Spells that specifically affect constructs:

Control Construct
Malfunction
Sands of Time
Antitech Field

Spells that affect constructs with the robot subtype:

Discharge
Protection from/Magic Circle Against Technology
Rebuke Technology

Scribe as you see fit.