PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying CN Follower of Thrym

Blackhawk748
2015-02-25, 10:20 AM
Ill be playing a PF Changeling Sorceress (we're still in 3.5, i just get to use the Changeling :smalltongue:) who was raised by her Green Hag mother and two "Aunts" (they're not evil i swear!) and they are all Followers of Thrym. Now Thrym, at least in 3.5, doesnt seem all that Evil. Ok he did kidnap Freya (i think thats who he 'napped) and try to get her to marry him, but that just means he's bad with women. Anyway, i've found plenty of examples as to what Evil Thrym worshipers do, go screw up Thor's and Loki's temples, fight, drink, make weapons, more fighting (this sounds oddly similar to what Thor's followers do.....) but i cant find what CN followers usually do, even less what spellcasters that aren't clerics would. This gets even harder as my character was raised by a Hag Coven and one of her Aunts is an Annis hag married to a Frost Giant (hes actually a great Uncle, honest), so Thrym is this the god of choice for this family.

Now this is what ive got for them as far as faith goes (and i may be horribly off base here). Now all Thrym followers know that Ragnarok is coming and that after everything will freeze in Fimbulwinter. Now what Elise (my Changeling) and her family do is show people how to not die of exposure (they get paid for this obviously) and sell various magical potions and trinkets that will aid people in surviving the cold. They live a day or so outside of a town on the Southern edge of the Grand Northlands (its a buddies homebrewed setting) so they get merchants and adventurers as customers. Now the people that dont listen to their advice or buy the recommended gear usually die. The Hags have nothing to do with this. They just chalk it up to the victims being stupid and not listening, so no lose there.

So thoughts? Greataxes to throw at me for spouting heresy?

Red Fel
2015-02-25, 01:24 PM
Ill be playing a PF Changeling Sorceress (we're still in 3.5, i just get to use the Changeling :smalltongue:) who was raised by her Green Hag mother and two "Aunts" (they're not evil i swear!) and they are all Followers of Thrym. Now Thrym, at least in 3.5, doesnt seem all that Evil. Ok he did kidnap Freya (i think thats who he 'napped) and try to get her to marry him, but that just means he's bad with women. Anyway, i've found plenty of examples as to what Evil Thrym worshipers do, go screw up Thor's and Loki's temples, fight, drink, make weapons, more fighting (this sounds oddly similar to what Thor's followers do.....) but i cant find what CN followers usually do, even less what spellcasters that aren't clerics would. This gets even harder as my character was raised by a Hag Coven and one of her Aunts is an Annis hag married to a Frost Giant (hes actually a great Uncle, honest), so Thrym is this the god of choice for this family.

Now this is what ive got for them as far as faith goes (and i may be horribly off base here). Now all Thrym followers know that Ragnarok is coming and that after everything will freeze in Fimbulwinter. Now what Elise (my Changeling) and her family do is show people how to not die of exposure (they get paid for this obviously) and sell various magical potions and trinkets that will aid people in surviving the cold. They live a day or so outside of a town on the Southern edge of the Grand Northlands (its a buddies homebrewed setting) so they get merchants and adventurers as customers. Now the people that dont listen to their advice or buy the recommended gear usually die. The Hags have nothing to do with this. They just chalk it up to the victims being stupid and not listening, so no lose there.

So thoughts? Greataxes to throw at me for spouting heresy?

Well, let's go through the details on Thrym. Thing to remember about Ice T is that, like Corellon, Gruumsh, and Surtr, he's a racial deity; that is, first and foremost, he represents the interests of his people. With a few notable exceptions (e.g. Lolth), racial deities - even Evil ones - show a particular tender side towards their demographic. This is particularly true when it comes to Thrym, who represents, among other things, the sheer brutal savagery of the most bitter winter. Think about it, what do we do in winter? We curl up in our hidey-holes with family and friends, giving each other the strength to endure until spring sweeps the snows away. That's Thrym's soft side; he genuinely cares for his people, the Frost Giants (assuming, of course, that they're strong enough to prove worthy of his care).

So what's the core belief? Well, Thrym's followers believe that Surtr and his followers will burn the world to a cinder, and after that will come the Fimbul Winter. They believe that cold is the ultimate power, the ultimate victor, and the ultimate end of all things. It's not that they seek to avoid or prevent the cold, but that those who are chosen by Thrym will be able to endure it.

And the frost giants? They are warriors. Very viking-archetype. They earn a place in the afterlife by doing great and glorious things (by frost giant standards).

Now, let's bring it together. Your story seems reasonable enough, although I question a frost giant and a hag living in happy harmony. (Or harmony of any type, really. But hey, the heart wants what it wants.) Here's the big issue: Frost giants believe that the Fimbul Winter will end everything. Thrym's followers may survive for a time, but even they will eventually succumb. The point is that Thrym's chosen favorites will endure, and everyone else will be swallowed. So here's my question: Why would someone who espouses an only the chosen may survive mentality give the means to survive to non-chosen? Even for a profit, it seems a bit of a tough sell.

Ya dig?

Blackhawk748
2015-02-25, 03:23 PM
Now, let's bring it together. Your story seems reasonable enough, although I question a frost giant and a hag living in happy harmony. (Or harmony of any type, really. But hey, the heart wants what it wants.) Here's the big issue: Frost giants believe that the Fimbul Winter will end everything. Thrym's followers may survive for a time, but even they will eventually succumb. The point is that Thrym's chosen favorites will endure, and everyone else will be swallowed. So here's my question: Why would someone who espouses an only the chosen may survive mentality give the means to survive to non-chosen? Even for a profit, it seems a bit of a tough sell.

Knew i was spouting Heresy :smalltongue: Well guess ill just tweak them a bit, they'll still sell the potions and gear to people, just none of it would be up to protecting people from anything worse than, say, Cold Band 2. Then they'll get a sense of smug satisfaction.

Also the Annis hag is gonna be a pretty decent warrior in her own right, i was thinking Totemist/Barbarian for her. Which is what caught the eye of the Frost Giant. Nerise (Elise's mother) is a skilled healer and hedgewitch (even Giants need healing) and Aunt Helga is a skilled mage, so i figured that the Giants just found them all useful to have around for one reason or another, and they also happen to believe that cold will be the ultimate end to everything so Thrym was a logical choice.

Oh also gonna make them the only shop in town that sells cold weather gear and potions, so if you dont pay their price your not getting any, and its only a small mark up. Honest.

Red Fel
2015-02-25, 04:38 PM
Knew i was spouting Heresy :smalltongue: Well guess ill just tweak them a bit, they'll still sell the potions and gear to people, just none of it would be up to protecting people from anything worse than, say, Cold Band 2. Then they'll get a sense of smug satisfaction.

I can dig it.

Also the Annis hag is gonna be a pretty decent warrior in her own right, i was thinking Totemist/Barbarian for her. Which is what caught the eye of the Frost Giant. Nerise (Elise's mother) is a skilled healer and hedgewitch (even Giants need healing) and Aunt Helga is a skilled mage, so i figured that the Giants just found them all useful to have around for one reason or another, and they also happen to believe that cold will be the ultimate end to everything so Thrym was a logical choice.

Remember, anyone can worship Thrym. Whether he empowers them as his Clerics is a different story. So a Hag worshipping the harbinger of the frozen end of all was never at issue. If memory serves, Hags are ruthless opportunists, anyway.

Oh also gonna make them the only shop in town that sells cold weather gear and potions, so if you dont pay their price your not getting any, and its only a small mark up. Honest.

Honest. That's cute, "honest." Do like.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-25, 04:44 PM
Honest. That's cute, "honest." Do like.

What, they are. :smallbiggrin: Note to self, more bluff ranks