View Full Version : Two Worlds Magic Homerule

mjnousak
2015-02-25, 11:51 AM
For those unfamiliar with the titular trait from Pathfinder:

Benefit: Select one 0-level spell from a class spell list other than your own. This spell is a 0-level spell on your class spell list (or a 1st-level spell if your class doesn't have 0-level spells). For example, if you are a druid, you could select mage hand and thereafter prepare it as a 0-level druid spell; if you are a sorcerer, you could select know direction as a 0-level sorcerer spell known.

I was wondering what could be the potential disastrous consequences (or lack thereof) of making this a feat and allowing it to read like this. (This would be applied to a Pathfinder or 3.5 game)

Benefit: Select one spell from a class spell list other than your own that is one level lower than the highest level spell you can currently cast. For example, if you are a 3rd level Druid, you could select Mage Armor and thereafter prepare it as a 1st level druid spell; if you are a 4th level Sorcerer, you could select Cure Light Wounds as a 1st level sorcerer spell known.

Thoughts, Comments, Concerns, This is a bad/good idea because [insert reason here]"?

Firest Kathon
2015-02-25, 12:17 PM
One thing to look out for is spells which appear on multiple spell lists on different levels. Take e.g. the spell Haste (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/haste). If a Wizard would use the feat to take "Haste - Summoner Edition", he would get it one spell level lower than if he took it from his own spell list. Maybe add a provision like "This spell may not appear on your own spell list.".

Almarck
2015-02-25, 12:23 PM
Even still there's the problem of if the spell appears on low casting classes like ranger or paladin. Alot of what otherwise would be high level spells appear as 4th level in paladin.

Granted a wizard doesn't really get too much out of it, but still, this can mean learning magic fang or greater magic fang than the ranger who intends to have it but can't by a few levels.

mjnousak
2015-02-25, 12:33 PM
One thing to look out for is spells which appear on multiple spell lists on different levels. Take e.g. the spell Haste (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/haste). If a Wizard would use the feat to take "Haste - Summoner Edition", he would get it one spell level lower than if he took it from his own spell list. Maybe add a provision like "This spell may not appear on your own spell list.".

I will add that to the definition, thank you.

mjnousak
2015-02-25, 12:55 PM
Even still there's the problem of if the spell appears on low casting classes like ranger or paladin. Alot of what otherwise would be high level spells appear as 4th level in paladin.

Granted a wizard doesn't really get too much out of it, but still, this can mean learning magic fang or greater magic fang than the ranger who intends to have it but can't by a few levels.

As Firest Kathon suggested, putting this:

"This spell may not appear on your own spell list."

In the text may help somewhat.

I can't really argue with the paladin comment as the Holy Sword spell would be snatched up in a heartbeat by any 8th level player (+5 weapon for one 4th level spell? Yes PLEASE)

But I can't really say much for the ranger, you take that class knowing you're gonna be a bit crippled magically by default, and get to get some spells at lower levels for it. (then again I've never played a ranger for that sole reason as if I wanna be a caster, I want to do full casting, not go halfsies on combat and sub-par magic. I'd rather have full combat or full magic [or a better hybrid of them at least])).

Almarck
2015-02-25, 12:57 PM
No. You misunderstand. I bring it up because many parties often have ranger's and wizards. They don't get magic fang I belive so it doesn't show up in their spell list.

Even still holy sword is another thing r brought up. I think restrictive penalties on getting from low casting lists should be steeper.

Zaq
2015-02-25, 01:05 PM
The fact that it has to be a level below your highest level spell available kind of hoses Sorcerers and other spontaneous casters, if you keep the typical 3.5 feat progression. They're even with Wizards at 6th level, but they basically can't use it at all at 3rd level (who spends a feat on a cantrip?), and they're not in a good position at 9th level. Basically, they're in a bad spot at odd-numbered feat levels. There isn't an elegant fix for that, but you should be aware that this is a lot better for prepared casters than for spontaneous casters. (Doubly true if the Sorcerer has to spend a feat to get the spell on their list and then spend a spell known on it.)

Chronos
2015-02-25, 01:59 PM
This is basically how the Extra Spell feat is usually interpreted in 3.5 (with the note that there's another interpretation, arguably the correct one, that requires it to be from your own list), except that that also adds it to your spells known, if needed. It's not broken. Even if you're getting a spell at much lower level than normal off of an obscure list, it's still spending a feat for only a single spell. That's a very high price to pay.