PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Creating a pretty exotic character

CrispyKingPin
2015-02-25, 04:53 PM
Okay so I'm pretty new to the forum so hopefully nobody wants to murder me about anything, but I have been lurking on giant in the playground for years now and decided I wanted to get in here.

Alright so me and my group are starting a new campaign, it consists of a 6 man party, I'll go ahead and tell the roles.
Paladin lvl 4-going into the fist of raziel prestige (I helped him with that.)
A marshal human lvl 4, prestige undecided.
a hellbred warlock lvl 4, prestige is hellfire warlock.
a swashbuckler lvl 4, human.
a rogue lvl 4, wispling.
and me, I'm the wizard, now most roles are filled up that are essential. So I have a lot of open opportunity, and I'm a guy who cannot have something simple. I love exotics. my dm gave me the okay on starting out with the dragonborn of bahamut template for the free flight, but what should I prestige into? haven't picked any feats yet, and my base race isn't decided either, human is always okay, i'm not against it, just have a preferance of exotic races. It doesn't necessarily have to be OP, or straight damage, just anything that is really flavorful and fun to play.

Wacky89
2015-02-25, 05:03 PM
Human is the worst race possible to pick. You lose everything a human has except their base speed pretty much.
I would probably go Grey Elf or Fire Elf. For something more exotic there are the Silvanesti or Sun Elf.
Or just about any other intelligence boosting race.
For referrence:
http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1078216

Chester
2015-02-25, 05:05 PM
Instead of a race, would you consider lycanthropy?

CrispyKingPin
2015-02-25, 05:13 PM

yea I would, I just don't know any lycanthropy race that would be extremely powerful for a wizard, also the DM allows the varient for trading experience for level adjustment when you are triple the level adjustment.
Our DM is very relaxed about most things, he has a stigma against homebrew, but almost all books are okay, even(very seldom) dragon magazines are considered okay. What lycanthropy would you recommend?

Wacky89
2015-02-25, 05:17 PM
what about anthropomorphic bat? Then you're almost a dragon :D

illyahr
2015-02-25, 05:17 PM
If you want straight flavor, I'd recommend a fire genasi light fighter/bard into the Dervish PrC.

CrispyKingPin
2015-02-25, 05:19 PM
what about anthropomorphic bat? Then you're almost a dragon :D

I suppose having that much wisdom would be awesome if I went a certain path where I needed it. It is indeed up there on the list of races I wanted. and like I said I have the okay for a dragonborn template.

CrispyKingPin
2015-02-25, 05:23 PM
If you want straight flavor, I'd recommend a fire genasi light fighter/bard into the Dervish PrC.

I've been feeling playing some kind of wizard lately, and I've never been a fan of bards to heavily.

Crake
2015-02-25, 11:46 PM
Play a savage progression monster race. Are you heartset on going a wizard? Because there are quite a few cool monster races that get cleric casting. if you want to be super silly, the trumpet archon class gets level +2 cleric casting (note level +2, not HD+2, so your LA levels still count toward it), so you're a spell level ahead of the curve.

Seerow
2015-02-26, 12:01 AM
I've been feeling playing some kind of wizard lately, and I've never been a fan of bards to heavily.

Honestly given your party composition, I hope you're either ready to sandbag it as wizard, or consider picking up some other form of arcane caster. A Dragonborn Sorcerer with a low-op spell selection trying to imitate a dragon would fit in perfectly with this party. A Dragonborn Grey Elf Wizard slinging top tier spells is going to make the rest of the party feel worthless.

zergling.exe
2015-02-26, 02:25 AM
Play a savage progression monster race. Are you heartset on going a wizard? Because there are quite a few cool monster races that get cleric casting. if you want to be super silly, the trumpet archon class gets level +2 cleric casting (note level +2, not HD+2, so your LA levels still count toward it), so you're a spell level ahead of the curve.

Actually, it is HD+2:

Spells: Starting at 2nd level, a trumpet archon can cast spells as a cleric of its Hit Dice from class levels +2. It can prepare spells from the Air, Destruction, Good, Law, and War domains as if they were on the cleric spell list, but its does not have access to any domains or domain spell slots.
Emphasis mine.

Though this does mean it can go straight Fighter afterwards and still have full Cleric casting. Or even cheesier to advance Cleric casting from class levels and from this ability.

DMVerdandi
2015-02-26, 04:40 AM
Why did I read "Creating a Pretty Exotic Dancer" ???:smallbiggrin:

Anyhow, How about Dracolexi, from Races of Dragon?
You only loose one spell caster level, but you essentially become proficient at using "dragon words"(Draconic phrases that give power.) It's a pretty cool language based caster class.

Just pick up practiced spell caster before you do.

Also, take the spontaneous divination, and Eidetic Spellcaster ACF's at level 1.

Crake
2015-02-26, 05:29 AM
Actually, it is HD+2:

Emphasis mine.

Though this does mean it can go straight Fighter afterwards and still have full Cleric casting. Or even cheesier to advance Cleric casting from class levels and from this ability.

Ah, you're right, though since it's referring to the monster class, other class levels don't continue to advance it. When an ability refers to class levels, it always means levels in the class that granted the ability. For example, the assassin's death attack DC is 10+int+class levels, that means assassin class levels, not total class levels (which is refered to as character level). I was thinking of ghaele, which is equal to it's class (not HD from class), but only up to 14/20

M Placeholder
2015-02-26, 05:40 AM

If the DM takes control of the character during the phases, thats a bad idea. Waking up covered in blood and with no idea of what happened is not a good idea. Plus, thats quite often a typical night out from where Im from :smalltongue:

In general, if you want to be a character with changing abilities, I would recommend the Hengeyokai from Oriental Adventures, if your DM will allow it. It has a LA +1, but would make a good sorcerer or Wu Jen.

CrispyKingPin
2015-02-26, 09:59 PM
I think going as a ultimate magus might be pretty fun, lots of spellcasting, and overall pretty useful.

CrispyKingPin
2015-02-26, 10:03 PM
So by becoming a old character and having a fire elf as my base race, i've come up with these stats.
str 8
dex 10
con 10
int 22
wis 10
cha 16

gorfnab
2015-02-27, 03:40 AM
I think going as a ultimate magus might be pretty fun, lots of spellcasting, and overall pretty useful.
An Ultimate Magus build I like is:
Wizard (Spontaneous Divination ACF) 5/ Knight of the Weave 1/ Ultimate Magus 10/ Incantatrix 4

For the Wizard aspects of the build I recommend the Easy Bake Wizard route (see handbook in my signature) if your DM would allow it.

Seto
2015-02-27, 03:56 AM
Okay so I'm pretty new to the forum so hopefully nobody wants to murder me about anything

GAAAAAAH ! *jumps at CrispyKingPin with a greataxe*

Erm, sorry. That was tempting.

Andezzar
2015-02-27, 04:28 AM
How about a Tiefling/Aasimar/Necropolitan Wizard focusing on Transmutation? Then you can be as exotic as you like. You get all the forms from Alter Self/Polymorph/Shapechange plus all outsiders or undead.

On top of that, as a Tiefling you get a bonus to your primary stat, an interesting stat and a penalty to a dump stat.

Seerow
2015-02-27, 12:28 PM
GAAAAAAH ! *jumps at CrispyKingPin with a greataxe*

Erm, sorry. That was tempting.

It's okay, you were using a greataxe. We all know you couldn't have been too serious about trying to murder somebody.