PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder The Maelstrom [PF Base Class | Early WIP]

IZ42
2015-02-25, 09:03 PM
After seeing the Dreamweaver class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?400264-Dreamweaver-Aura-Based-Support-Class) by ArcanistSupreme, I felt inspired to make my own, rather different take on an aura based character. This one is a front line fighter, sort of like a bloodrager, with a focus on using auras to buff himself and his allies, debuff the enemy, rip the enemy to shreds in a veritable storm of primal magical energy. I was considering giving this class use of maneuvers, but I'd have to get an expert's advice on that. So, without further Vicodin fueled rambling that some might call ado, I give you:

The Maelstrom (https://docs.google.com/document/d/10MAvUAJwCEphEJY72Bh-ruBhXsvAGZ1pYLfTWKhOP0Q/edit?usp=sharing)

Auras Page (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-WVG5WNrNTr1wKsus4TyGoIfvdFMnB5OwUum0Fiqmuk/mobilebasic)

Primal Paths Page (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aRjqjhDohULgJPNpkKySHH7IIqYU_txHB-1_V10fEyE/mobilebasic)

Thoughts and Suggestions and Concerns are accepted and appreciated, you know me. It's still very early on in production, so I'd like to see a bunch of community ideas on what to do and where to go with it.

bookguy
2015-02-26, 10:23 AM
This looks cool so far. Please continue to develop it!

Almarck
2015-02-26, 10:32 AM
Early WIP for sure. I don't think anyone can fully critique anything except for thematics. So with that in mind what archetype is this supposed to represent? I get the front line combatant part but I have no idea on what to think given you're naming it after storm based phenomena. I'm currently thinking of heavy gish.

Vhaidara
2015-02-26, 10:39 AM
Yeah, much too early to post anything constructive beyond: Don't use Wyld. Misspelled words aren't cool once you get out of high school.

You're still in high school, aren't you :smalltongue:

IZ42
2015-02-26, 12:24 PM
Yeah, much too early to post anything constructive beyond: Don't use Wyld. Misspelled words aren't cool once you get out of high school.

You're still in high school, aren't you :smalltongue:

Nailed it Keledrath. I was currently doped up on Vicodin so my brain wasn't functioning right.

@Almarck: This class is a front line combatant designed to use auras to shred their enemies. The class name is a place holder as of now. I'll get to work on the aura class feature today.

Vhaidara
2015-02-26, 12:27 PM
I was writing that comment, and thought back to the last time I did that.

Vicodin...Wisdom Teeth removal?

IZ42
2015-02-26, 01:13 PM
Nope. Four other teeth though. My wisdom teeth are coming in fine :/

So, who wants to design some auras for me? I'm looking for auras that either debuff the enemy, buff you and your allies, give you some battlefield control, or straight up shred your enemies.

The format should look something like this:

Aura Name
Range: (This range may increase at the major and grand manifestations)
Minor Form:
Major Form:
Grand Form:

Almarck
2015-02-26, 01:29 PM
... In tribute of your teeth pulling, add an aura or ability called "Tooth Cracker"

IZ42
2015-02-27, 10:27 AM
Hey everybody! Update time! I created two separate documents (which I will link in the OP) for Auras and Primal Paths, to save space on the main document. Also changed up how the aura pool works (now functions like a Barbarian's rage) and made the Primal Wild Path Aura. Comments would be great!

Vhaidara
2015-02-27, 12:15 PM
Not the best of starts. I know there's only one aura up, but it's awful.

You spend points from a limited resource pool (equivalent to Barbarian Rages or Bard Performances) to temporarily gain access to a more limited version of something that the Hunter just gets. And it's a standard action? I would NEVER use this aura. Combine that with the fact that it doesn't make a lot of sense to have an Animal Companion tied to an activatable aura. What, you turn it on a normal (not ghost or spirit) wolf jumps out of nowhere? That's not an aura, that's a summoning spell.

Also, the idea of an Aura pool disturbs me. In my mind, an aura based class is largely about passive effects. If you spent the points to power up your aura, that's one thing, but only being able to have it active for an incredibly limited number of rounds per day at low levels makes it feel like a crappy barbarian archetype more than an aura based class.

I'm being honest because I think this has a lot of potential, but I think you're taking it the wrong direction to get a good aura class.

IZ42
2015-02-27, 12:24 PM
Not the best of starts. I know there's only one aura up, but it's awful.

You spend points from a limited resource pool (equivalent to Barbarian Rages or Bard Performances) to temporarily gain access to a more limited version of something that the Hunter just gets. And it's a standard action? I would NEVER use this aura. Combine that with the fact that it doesn't make a lot of sense to have an Animal Companion tied to an activatable aura. What, you turn it on a normal (not ghost or spirit) wolf jumps out of nowhere? That's not an aura, that's a summoning spell.

Also, the idea of an Aura pool disturbs me. In my mind, an aura based class is largely about passive effects. If you spent the points to power up your aura, that's one thing, but only being able to have it active for an incredibly limited number of rounds per day at low levels makes it feel like a crappy barbarian archetype more than an aura based class.

I'm being honest because I think this has a lot of potential, but I think you're taking it the wrong direction to get a good aura class.

Hmmm yeah... The design does bug me. Maybe I'll make the Primal Wild Path ability the animal companion and have it upgrade over a while. That sounds better. Also going to downgrade the aura activation to a move action.

Do you have any suggestions for using the aura point pool to empower the auras?

Vhaidara
2015-02-27, 12:28 PM
Maybe keep your progression, and allow X auras to be active at a time. Add a fourth level to the auras. Your auras default to the one they have unlocked (basic, the 2nd, then third) and you can spend points from the Aura pool to up them to the next level for round/point

So, for example (this is a bad aura)
Aura of You Like Me
Minor: +2 to Cha based checks
Major: +4 to Cha based checks
Grand: +6 to Cha based checks
Grandmaster: +10 to Cha based checks

At first level, you would passively have the Minor Aura, and could spend points as a Swift to upgrade it to the Major. At 7th, the Major becomes passive and your upgrade becomes the Grand. Grandmasters would be a greater improvement because you never get them as passives

IZ42
2015-02-27, 01:35 PM
Maybe keep your progression, and allow X auras to be active at a time. Add a fourth level to the auras. Your auras default to the one they have unlocked (basic, the 2nd, then third) and you can spend points from the Aura pool to up them to the next level for round/point

So, for example (this is a bad aura)
Aura of You Like Me
Minor: +2 to Cha based checks
Major: +4 to Cha based checks
Grand: +6 to Cha based checks
Grandmaster: +10 to Cha based checks

At first level, you would passively have the Minor Aura, and could spend points as a Swift to upgrade it to the Major. At 7th, the Major becomes passive and your upgrade becomes the Grand. Grandmasters would be a greater improvement because you never get them as passives

I changed the Auras class feature so they gain a maximum auras they can manifest. Your idea in spending points to raise the level of manifestation seems like a good idea, but it slightly bugs me. I'll try and come up with something.