PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Caster Prerequisite Requirements

Drimoran
2015-02-25, 09:51 PM
I have come across different wording about caster prerequisite requirements, and I am trying to look for some sense in this. What would you say is the difference (by RAW preferebly) within the following terms?

Spells: Able to cast Xth level spells
Spells: Ability to cast Xth level spells
Spellcasting: Able to cast Xth level spells
Spellcasting: Ability to cast Xth level spells

Also, I have seen some times that the requirement asks for at least one spell of such a level. What does this mean to other requirements? Are they asking for two? What if there is a class that asks for two? How many spells are they asking when they dont specify? Are they asking for none spells but the ability itself?

Is the "Ability to cast ..." defined properly anywhere? And being able to do it?

The only reference about this matter that I have found in the books is in the Players Handbook, wich doesnt have any prestige classes.
The ability that governs bonus spells (see Chapter 3:
Classes) depends on what type of spellcaster your character is: Intelligence for wizards; Wisdom for clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers; or Charisma for sorcerers and bards. In addition to having a high ability score, a spellcaster must be of high enough class level to be able to cast spells of a given spell level. (See the class descriptions in Chapter 3 for details.) For instance, the wizard Mialee has an Intelligence score of 15, so she’s smart enough to get one bonus 1stlevel spell and one bonus 2nd-level spell. (She will not actually get the 2nd-level spell until she is 3rd level wizard, since that’s the minimum level a wizard must be to cast 2nd-level spells.)

If your character’s ability score is 9 or lower, you can’t cast spells tied to that ability. For example, if Mialee’s Intelligence score dropped to 9 because of a poison that reduces intellect, she would not be able to cast even her simplest spells until cured.
A cleric may prepare and cast any spell on the cleric spell list (page 183), provided that he can cast spells of that level, but he must choose which spells to prepare during his daily meditation.
Spells: Beginning at 4th level, a paladin gains the ability to cast a small number of divine spells (the same type of spells available to the cleric, druid, and ranger), which are drawn from the paladin spell list (page 191). A paladin must choose and prepare her spells in advance.
8. Spells: Spellcasting characters gain the ability to cast more
spells as they advance in levels. Each class description for a spellcasting class includes a Spells per Day section (on the class table) that shows the base number of spells (without bonus spells for high ability scores) of a given spell level that a character can cast at each class level. See your character’s class description in this chapter for details
LEVEL: The next line of a spell description gives the spell’s level, a number between 0 and 9 that defines the spell’s relative power. This number is preceded by an abbreviation for the class whose members can cast the spell. The Level entry also indicates whether a spell is a domain spell and, if so, what its domain and its level as a domain spell are. A spell’s level affects the DC for any save allowed against the effect.
For example, the Level entry for hold person is “Brd 2, Clr 2, Sor/Wiz 3.” That means it is a 2nd-level spell for bards, a 2nd-level spell for clerics, and a 3rd-level spell for sorcerers and wizards. The level entry for magic vestment is “Clr 3, Strength 3, War 3.” That means it is a 3rd-level spell for clerics, the 3rd-level Strength domain spell, and the 3rd-level War domain spell.
Names of spellcasting classes are abbreviated as follows: bard Brd; cleric Clr; druid Drd; paladin Pal; ranger Rgr; sorcerer Sor; wizard Wiz.
The domains a spell can be associated with include Air, Animal, Chaos, Death, Destruction, Earth, Evil, Fire, Good, Healing, Knowledge, Law, Luck, Magic, Plant, Protection, Strength, Sun, Travel, Trickery, War, and Water.
Spell Slots: The various character class tables in Chapter 3:
Classes show how many spells of each level a character can cast per day. These openings for daily spells are called spell slots. A spellcaster always has the option to fill a higher-level spell slot with a lower-level spell. For example, a 7th-level wizard has at least one 4th-level spell slot and two 3rd-level spell slots (see Table 3–18: The Wizard, page 55). However, the character could choose to prepare three 3rd-level spells instead, filling the 4th-level slot with a 3rdlevel spell. A spellcaster who lacks a high enough ability score to cast spells that would otherwise be his or her due still gets the slots but
must fill them with spells of lower level.
Each time a character attains a new wizard level, she gains two spells of her choice to add to her spellbook. These spells represent the results of her research. The two free spells must be of spell levels she can cast.
caster level: A measure of the power with which a spellcaster casts a spell. Generally, a spell’s caster level is the spellcaster’s class level.
known spell: A spell that an arcane spellcaster has learned and
can prepare. For wizards, knowing a spell means having it in their spellbooks. For sorcerers and bards, knowing a spell means having selected it when acquiring new spells as a benefit of level advancement.
spell: A one-time magical effect. The two primary categories of
spells are arcane and divine. Clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers cast divine spells, while wizards, sorcerers, and bards cast arcane spells. Spells are further grouped into eight schools of magic.
spell level: A number from 0 to 9 that indicates the general
power of a spell.
Well, I know is not true information, but I thought I might be handy to have something to hold on to. I do hope you can help me here.

Flickerdart
2015-02-25, 10:44 PM
All of those are the same prerequisite. D&D isn't a computer program, so the syntax the writers use doesn't always line up.

There are classes such as Archmage that require multiple spells, but usually it's just "can cast Xth level spells" for which being able to do even one per day is sufficient.