PDA

View Full Version : [PF] The Dragon Empire, IC II

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Aeryk
2015-05-05, 08:40 AM
River stands near the submersible, simply listening to the conversation around him. He raises an eye when Edmond comes near, noticing the lighter armor, but he doesn't say anything about it.

Archemist
2015-05-05, 10:15 AM
Azrin checks the ropes securing the submersible, and also those that will secure himself and the other swimmers to it. He begins casting the Water Lung spell on the swimmers, mumbling and pointing at necks. It's probably a little disconcerting; he seems a little uncomfortable about the constant spellcasting as well, though he says, "Well, I have to keep going around in order or I'm going to forget one of you, and you wouldn't want that. I'll try to keep up the messaging spell, also, so you won't have to just wave at me if the water breathing one starts wearing off.

"And thanks for the tip about the lights, Hsmorjo - I have some magical light which may help, though I'll wait on that until we're no longer trying to sneak around."

Indori
2015-05-05, 10:22 PM
Orrick finished his goodbyes, thanking Hsmorjo for his service and his advice, and Dean for the same. Soon enough, he had everything strapped down and was following directions to load onto the side of the submersible device.

All set!

H. Von Studley
2015-05-06, 03:41 AM
Ed gives final orders to Alphonse, making sure the man is clear on his mission. Before he leaves, he grabs Hsmorjo briefly and pulls him aside. Lifting his shirt, he reveals a long deep cut along his side and back, over the kidney. He winces slightly as the cloth shirt under the metal comes away from the wound. Although the flesh had begun to knit together a little, blood still oozed from the jagged edges.

He speaks in rough Ulselandic to the nagaji. "Hsmorjo, I hate to ask, but do you have any healing magic left? That orc with the falchion got me pretty badly. I'd do it myself, or ask the doctor, but I think we're both going to need everything we've got to go up against the Blessed Ones. And I also wanted to ask; do you have any advice on who we should try to speak to in the city? We'll likely follow Mossgandra's lead, but better I know in case we're separated."

Ed is currently on 22/39 HP, and his AC is worse now, so a little healing would be helpful if possible. Other than that, I'm ready to move along.

RandomWombat
2015-05-06, 01:43 PM
"Of course, Captain Edmund. If anyone else has injuries they need tended to, I can aid them as well before they leave," reaching out to tap the flesh near the wound, the nagaji turns one of his remaining spells into healing magic.

CLW: [roll0]

RandomWombat
2015-05-07, 12:40 AM
Controls for the Apparatus of the Crab Lobster (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/apparatus-of-the-crab).

Moving and attacking requires the pilots to coordinate, as one will need to move and the other will need to operate the pincers. Turning while moving at the same time also requires two people.

The Apparatus can also Vehicle Ram a target by moving directly into its space. This knocks the subject back and deals 1d8 damage. The knockback can be resisted with a DC 30 Strength check - so, beyond most medium humanoids and difficult even for Large creatures. Resisting stops the Apparatus' movement.
The Apparatus is too low to the ground to trample people under it in normal circumstances.

With their wounds tended to, the group readies to depart. Olivin climbs into the small cockpit of the giant metal lobster, taking a seat next to Mossgandra. Through the glass openings to the front and side he can see the others around him. The elven woman gives him some basic practice walking back and forth across the deck, to get a feel for the clunky controls. Operating this is definitely a job for two people. After some careful maneuvering to keep the ship balanced the two of them climb over the railing and dive off into the water blow. Bubbles rush past the portholes and eventually fade away to display the sandy ground their lobster has sunken to. Some adjustments and an activation of the machine's buoyancy magic bring them to a position floating partially submerged next to the ship, visible from above.

One by one the party jumps down, careful not to break their legs on the metal submersible, and one by one they cling to its sides. With Azrin to provide the breath in their lungs they don't need to worry about surfacing for air - the perfect way to sneak by the naval blockade. And so they descend into the water and venture forth.

There are no brilliant reefs to view here, sadly. They are right next to the rocky coast and the sights mostly consist of dirt, sand, and some coastal fish that flee at their approach. More or less the same species that can be seen back around the Island's coastline. For those swimming outside of the machine the quiet and lack of danger is a relief. A fight underwater wouldn't be fun, particularly against something or somethings with a homefield advantage. Several hours pass as they travel and soon they find themselves in pitch darkness as the light above is too low to pierce the water. Mossgandra switches on the 'eyes' of the lobster, two everburning lanterns that light the way a short distance ahead. It becomes necessary to go slowly right along the coast for fear that they accidentally go too far.

It is some time before the wooden pillars of piers and docks become visible ahead. The ruined wrecks of fishing and trading ships sunk at port by the orcs litter the water here. They're an eerie sight in the darkness, especially for those without a metal wall between them and danger.

Now all that remains is to surface and make their way up onto land. Will they surface the submersible here or have someone swim up and spy an ideal place to crawl up onto land?

"We've arrived at Mirorhen," Mossgandra observes in Ulselandic. Her voice is apprehensive. "I don't know what we're going to find in there after seeing what the strix' biological weapons did last time. Are you prepared?"

H. Von Studley
2015-05-07, 02:40 AM
Cool scene RW.

Ed waves to the others on the outside and the inside of the submersible to get their attention, then points at himself and points up. Without further signaling, he releases his hold on the side of the submersible and slowly, carefully swims upwards to the surface. The trip had been somewhat peaceful at first, relaxing even, but after long hours under the water he now felt nothing but cold and sore.

Anxious to be out of the water, but mindful of danger, he slowly surfaces and turns around in circle, scanning in all directions.

Not sure what kind of checks (if any) you need RW, so I'll roll a few in case.

Swim: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

RandomWombat
2015-05-07, 03:18 AM
Edmund surfaces with practiced ease, even with the functionality of one of his legs limited. He finds that they are currently between a pair of large piers, next to the partially submerged wreck of a cargo ship. There is no shore here, the stone of the city streets forming a sheer vertical surface to his right. It reaches a few feet above the water level, and there is a stone guardrail at the top. It would be trivial for a man to climb onto land, but the Apparatus would have difficulty flailing its way up - particularly without the movement being spotted by the enemy ships just a small ways out at sea.

H. Von Studley
2015-05-07, 03:57 AM
Taking a moment to enjoy the fresh air on his skin, Ed reaches behind him for the length rope hanging off his pack. He wonders at the lightness of it for a moment and then remembers; he had lost 30' of the damn thing to the traps in the silver tunnels. He frowns for a moment, then shrugs to himself. It would still do for his purposes. He loops the shortened rope around his shoulder, takes a breath and dives back down toward the submersible, pulling himself forward with long powerful strokes.

Arriving, he loops one end of the rope around one of the submersible's legs, and the other end around the piers support pole. Giving it a firm pull to make sure it's secure, he gestures to the others to follow and swims for the surface again.

It should be okay underwater right? Let's leave it here. Probably the safest place for it.

Aeryk
2015-05-07, 08:09 AM
River follows along behind the captain, surfacing slowly. He cautiously peers around, seeing what can be seen.

Archemist
2015-05-07, 08:11 AM
It might fill with water when Olivin and Mossgandra leave; other than that, I dunno, seems a shame to leave it down there. Who knows what we'd encounter on land? But I suppose if the piers are impassable, it may be our best bet.

Azrin sticks around to cast Water Lung on Mossgandra and Olivin so they can swim up too. Then he swims up to the surface with Botticelli and Ed. He whisper-messages, "I guess we can come back for it once we scout the shore, and let the people know we (and it) are friendly."

He looks around for sign of guards, populace, cannon guarding the bay, or a way up onto a pier.

Indori
2015-05-07, 09:39 AM
Orrick spent the trip clinging, white-knuckled, to the hull of the submersible, mostly with his eyes closed. When he realized they had stopped, he dared to open his eyes, which stung immediately from the saltwater. Squinting heavily, he saw the Captain return with a rope and silently order them to swim up. As the doctor surfaced, he sucked in a gulp of air. Azrin's magic had kept them all alive in the depths, but it had felt as though he was almost out of oxygen for much of the trip, and the temptation to inhale was difficult to deny.

Is it dark now?

RandomWombat
2015-05-07, 11:54 AM
It is dark out, yes. The sun is down over the horizon.

And yes, the submersible will be flooded with water if opened underwater. They can surface it and climb out, but its buoyancy enchantment will keep at at surface level. They could always hide it under one of the piers.

brandnewb
2015-05-08, 10:36 PM
Olivin will help quietly surface the sub under one of the piers where it can be hidden. Once the cockpit is clear of the water, and he things no-one will notice then he will open the hatch and climb out to join the group going for the raid.

H. Von Studley
2015-05-08, 11:50 PM
Ed will still tie up the submersible, just on the surface this time.

RandomWombat
2015-05-09, 09:40 AM
Mossgandra climbs out of the submersible, but is having difficulty keeping afloat in her armor. She's barely able to tread water with the others, and eventually just grabs onto one of the support pillars to hold herself up. She laughs quietly and asides in Ulselandic, "Ah, this is a little embarrassing." Looking towards the ledge of the port she pushes herself off and struggles again, but eventually makes it there and grabs onto the stone. "I'm ready to go in when you all are."

H. Von Studley
2015-05-09, 05:31 PM
Ed watches her carefully as she struggles to the stone ledge, making sure she stays afloat, but makes no comment on her swimming. He swims over and climbs onto the dock, offering a hand to her as she climbs up. Moving in a quick crouch-run he stays as low and quiet as possible and heads for cover away from the bare edge of the water, away from prying eyes out to sea.

Once everyone is gathered out of sight of the orc ships, he turns to Mossgandra. "You know the city. Where should we head first, and who do we need to speak to? We must be quick, it is already getting late."

RandomWombat
2015-05-10, 10:08 AM
Mossgandra climbs a little better than she swims, and is able to pull herself up without any trouble. Once properly on the docks, she and Edmund get their first view of the city. Its architecture is similar to Stalling, the buildings are stone with wooden rooftops. Many houses have boarded up windows. The most ominous sights to see however are the bodies. Most are dressed in white and grey military uniforms with dim purple strips along the left forearm. Others are dressed in civilian clothing, and all of the bodies are reduced to no more than skeletons. Their clothing is torn in different places on each body, and examination shows a few traces of green and white spores on them. It seems these men were killed by basidironds.

There are no immediate signs of threats here. Several buildings might be places to begin searching: a few homes, one of which isn't boarded up and has one of its windows broken in; an abandoned brothel; and an official looking building that might be where dock records were kept.

"This place doesn't... look good. We'll want to go to the keep at the center to find their monarch, or the outer wall to prepare for the Blessed One's arrival. I know there are people still manning the outer wall, our scouts could tell from outside,"

Archemist
2015-05-10, 11:05 AM
There are no immediate signs of threats here. Several buildings might be places to begin searching: a few homes, one of which isn't boarded up and has one of its windows broken in; an abandoned brothel; and an official looking building that might be where dock records were kept.

"This place doesn't... look good. We'll want to go to the keep at the center to find their monarch, or the outer wall to prepare for the Blessed One's arrival. I know there are people still manning the outer wall, our scouts could tell from outside,"

"Basidironds? I must admit, I'd rather hoped it'd just be a few orcs to kill, here, not murderous mushrooms.

"Where should we begin, Sir? Immediately to the keep, I imagine? Or should we pick our way there via these houses? Someone might still be alive in there..."

As usual, let us know if we should have been making Swim/Climb checks or whatnot, or Perception checks now. Azrin will still flash around with Detect Magic occasionally, to augment his normal low-light vision. What does the party think of him starting up with Light? My instinct is to wait until we're further into the city / away from the sub.

RandomWombat
2015-05-10, 09:38 PM
Everyone but Mossgandra had the ability to swim to the ledge by Taking 10. The Climb DC is 10, so anyone without a negative modifier can do the same there.

Archemist
2015-05-10, 09:44 PM
Everyone but Mossgandra had the ability to swim to the ledge by Taking 10. The Climb DC is 10, so anyone without a negative modifier can do the same there.

Azrin is very pleased, climbing up onto the dock; his shoulders weren't what they once were, especially before almost dying in those metal caves, but he had practiced a little before this trip, knowing he might have to go up-and-down some rigging and such. Even that little bit was paying off now, he felt.

brandnewb
2015-05-11, 09:33 AM
Olivin comes up onto the deck with the others. He says nothing and walks toward the closest body pulling the whip from his belt. He eyes the skeletal remains suspiciously and cautiously gives the foot a nudge with his toe. If nothing happens he will turn to the Captain and say, "Which way do we go? Head toward their defences?"

RandomWombat
2015-05-11, 09:14 PM
Olivin comes up onto the deck with the others. He says nothing and walks toward the closest body pulling the whip from his belt. He eyes the skeletal remains suspiciously and cautiously gives the foot a nudge with his toe. If nothing happens he will turn to the Captain and say, "Which way do we go? Head toward their defences?"

The body's skull rolls away from the body from the nudging, but otherwise the bones prove inanimate. At least there are no necromancers around.

H. Von Studley
2015-05-12, 01:55 AM
Ed turns away from the bodies back towards the party. "We'll have to head for the middle of the city. We need to find whoever is in charge of the defense and warn them. Now hurry. We have to move."

Lingering a moment, Ed reaches down to the skeletal remains of a soldier and pulls free a large leg bone. He inspects it carefully for spores, then (if he finds none) tucks it into his bag and stands to leave.

RandomWombat
2015-05-12, 02:09 AM
Mossgandra has some idea of the layout of the city. There is a main road leading from the port, to the central plaza outside the keep, and on through to the city's main gate. That would be the simplest way to reach the keep and whoever may yet survive within. Alternatively they could follow the smaller side roads branching off throughout the city and approach the keep from another angle. The central plaza fountain would probably attract the basidirond due to it being a source of fresh water, but would also be in plain view of the keep walls. Anyone within could pick off the plant monsters with bows or at least annoy them into leaving. The side roads would be unpredictable, but guarded from view by sky. Night has fallen and it's not clear when exactly the Blessed One and its entourage will arrive.

H. Von Studley
2015-05-12, 02:16 AM
Let's take the main road. I think speed is our best bet right now.

brandnewb
2015-05-13, 11:25 AM
Olivin nods in response to the Captain. With whip in had he begins walking up the main road toward the defenses.

RandomWombat
2015-05-13, 11:48 AM
Following the main road brings the party through the marketplace. The wide stone street is lined with shops that have been either boarded up, abandoned, or broken into. There are also several market stalls dotting the street here and there. Many of the market stalls are dedicated to selling homemade crafts such as ornaments and instruments, and in the case of one stall a variety of alchemicals. The alchemical are locked in a glass case on the stand where they can be viewed, but not easily stolen.

Of note among the shops are an abandoned armorer's store, a weapon shop that was broken into - perhaps by looters looking to defend themselves - and a boarded up store with a second floor that looks to be where the owner lives. Those who know Ulselandic can read the sign of that store: 'Earl's Wands'.

The central plaza is visible in the distance, its fountain still going by the looks of it. For now, all is quiet. If there are any basidirond nearby they have not taken notice to the new intruders in the city.

Archemist
2015-05-13, 12:03 PM
Following the main road brings the party through the marketplace. The wide stone street is lined with shops that have been either boarded up, abandoned, or broken into. There are also several market stalls dotting the street here and there. Many of the market stalls are dedicated to selling homemade crafts such as ornaments and instruments, and in the case of one stall a variety of alchemicals. The alchemical are locked in a glass case on the stand where they can be viewed, but not easily stolen.

Of note among the shops are an abandoned armorer's store, a weapon shop that was broken into - perhaps by looters looking to defend themselves - and a boarded up store with a second floor that looks to be where the owner lives. Those who know Ulselandic can read the sign of that store: 'Earl's Wands'.

The central plaza is visible in the distance, its fountain still going by the looks of it. For now, all is quiet. If there are any basidirond nearby they have not taken notice to the new intruders in the city.

Azrin, figuring his musket has dried out, checks it and loads a regular cartridge. He says, "Hmm, it is eerily quiet here... I would have hoped we'd seen a few more inhabitants and defenders around to meet us. Onwards, I suppose?"

He glances at the potions but wouldn't really consider taking a fellow merchant's wares, anyhow. Though he does activate Detect Magic a couple more times as they pass the alchemicals and the wand shop.

RandomWombat
2015-05-13, 12:44 PM
Azrin can detect the magic in the wand shop through the boarded up windows, but the alchemicals appear to be mixed from 'mundane' reagents with only trace amounts of magic if any. They are not potions, but rather things such as quickfreeze oil and alchemist's fire.

Aeryk
2015-05-13, 04:31 PM
River follows along in silence, doing his best to listen for anything out of place.

[roll0]

H. Von Studley
2015-05-13, 07:28 PM
Azrin, figuring his musket has dried out, checks it and loads a regular cartridge. He says, "Hmm, it is eerily quiet here... I would have hoped we'd seen a few more inhabitants and defenders around to meet us. Onwards, I suppose?"

Ed walks softly, glaive already in hand.

"Aye. It is quiet. Too quiet. Stay sharp everyone."

Always wanted to say that. :smalltongue:

brandnewb
2015-05-13, 08:52 PM
Olivin continues on wordlessly as before, scanning the buildings and windows. He watches for any movement and cautiously continues prepared to strike.

Indori
2015-05-14, 09:50 AM
Orrick followed the small group silently, bow in hand. The quiet of the city was eerie. Never had he known such a place to be so quiet. Indeed, one would need a stone covered basement to find silence in Stalling. Passing behind Azrin near the alchemical shop, he stopped for a moment to look in the window and touched his hand to the glass. Could that have been his life, had he been any less exceptional? Not a scholar, but a merchant? Azrin had followed that path to a degree, but Orrick could not come to terms with the dullness of it. The years of study in darkened libraries had worn that nerve too thin. But this man, this merchant, whoever he was, his life was not so dull anymore, was it? Orrick had gone to war, but the war had come to this man and his family. Another incongruity. Family. Again, Azrin shared the experience, and Orrick could not reconcile it with how he lived.

With a sigh, he turned from the window and resumed the march toward the city's center, leaving a trail of smudges behind his fingertips on the glass.

RandomWombat
2015-05-14, 10:41 PM
Continuing along the main street, everyone reaches the fountain plaza. Fortune seems to be smiling upon them, because there are no basidirond around to threaten them. To their right the small city keep rises up, surrounded by a stone wall. In all it is less of a castle like the one back home and more of a single tower with a walled-off courtyard. A wooden gate separates the keep from the streets, but is man-sized and probably barred from the inside rather than using a mechanism. Continuing down the main street, the buildings on the right side are notable because wooden planks have been set up across from the keep wall to the roof of the nearest house, and nailed there to serve as a bridge above the streets below. It looks like this continues the same way down the main street. It must be how the survivors are moving around without setting foot among the basidirond.

A line of seven human archers is up on the keep wall, regarding the group and talking amongst themselves. They see Mossgandra and her uniform and one of them leans down over the wall, gesturing silently for them to come closer. One of the other archers goes off to the side and descends from the wall.

"I think he's trying to avoid drawing attention by shouting to one another," Mossgandra whispers to Edmund in Ulselandic.

Opposite of the keep is another street leading to a large circular building. Olivin would recognize it as the Mirorhen Colosseum, used for their gladiatorial games.

Down one of the side streets along the way, River sees some movement low to the ground.

Aeryk
2015-05-15, 08:05 AM
Down one of the side streets along the way, River sees some movement low to the ground.

River waits for everyone to pass the side street in order to prevent the group's reaction from being obvious. He then moves up to the Captain, tapping him lightly on the arm.
He whispers to Ed, "Sir, there's something moving in that side street we just passed. I didn't quite make out what it was, but it might be worth checking out. It was low to the ground, whatever it was."

H. Von Studley
2015-05-18, 10:24 PM
River waits for everyone to pass the side street in order to prevent the group's reaction from being obvious. He then moves up to the Captain, tapping him lightly on the arm.
He whispers to Ed, "Sir, there's something moving in that side street we just passed. I didn't quite make out what it was, but it might be worth checking out. It was low to the ground, whatever it was."

Ed stares straight ahead, nodding almost imperceptibly and whispering back to River. "Alright, double back around the alley through another street and see if you can spot it, but be careful not to be seen. We'll be right behind you if need be, but don't try to fight anything on your own. I'll deal with the archers."

Turning deliberately towards Azrin, he bends down to whisper to the gnome. "Any chance you've got one of those messaging spells? I want to stay quiet while I talk to the guards." Then he steps forward towards the wall, although he strains his ears for sounds from behind them.

He calls out softly in Ulselandic (or Messages, Azrin permitting) to the guard who had beckoned. "We are here to help. I have vital information." Dropping his voice even lower, he looks up into the man's eyes. "And I think there's something behind us."

Archemist
2015-05-19, 12:30 AM
Turning deliberately towards Azrin, he bends down to whisper to the gnome. "Any chance you've got one of those messaging spells? I want to stay quiet while I talk to the guards." Then he steps forward towards the wall, although he strains his ears for sounds from behind them.

He calls out softly in Ulselandic (or Messages, Azrin permitting) to the guard who had beckoned. "We are here to help. I have vital information." Dropping his voice even lower, he looks up into the man's eyes. "And I think there's something behind us."

Azrin refreshes the messaging spell, and on River, too, before he goes. He includes the nearer guard if possible, and whispers, "We are friends - we can talk this way by whispering if you point in our direction. We've come to warn of an impending attack. Can we approach your position?"

Aeryk
2015-05-19, 07:48 AM
River nods to Ed, and follows his instruction, finding the nearest street with access to the alley. Once he gets to the alley corner, he hunches down, keeping a low profile and moving as silently as possible, peering into the alley to see what it was that he had spotted earlier.

[roll0]

RandomWombat
2015-05-19, 10:51 AM
Slipping into the alley, River gets closer. Once nearer he can see three full-grown basidirond that appear to be fighting over the scraps of a small feathered creature. They're in a deadlock, snapping at one another whenever one moves in to try and snatch up the food. Thankfully they have not noticed River, so absorbed are they in determining who will have a meal.

The soldier Azrin points out with his Message spell can clearly hear him, but is unable to understand the language Azrin is using. When Edmund speaks Ulselandic his face lights up with recognition and he nods, turning to speak to the other guards. After a moment he mimics their pointing and whispers to Edmund in Ulselandic, "There are Basidirond wandering the city looking for food. We're running low on rationed supplies ourselves. Whoever you are I welcome your aid, but I fear we are only delaying our deaths. Come to the gate, we will let you and your friends inside, quickly."

Another guard descends from the wall to the inner courtyard, to unbar the gate.

Aeryk
2015-05-19, 01:11 PM
River silently ducks back out of the alley, glad not to have been noticed. He then 'messages' Ed on his way back to inform him of what he's seen.
"Three fully grown Basidirond fighting over a dead bird, sir. Probably best to just leave them alone for now."
He returns back to the group.

brandnewb
2015-05-19, 01:44 PM
Olivin moves on toward the gate, he is oblivious to the creatures fighting in the street. While he is moving cautiously in a manner prepared for a fight, he is not moving particularly stealthily. Rather his demeanour is that of a combatant who seeks to force any enemy to confront him in the open where he has room to maneuver.
When Olivin sees the men atop the walls he brightens considerably, however he note the caution and stealth the others are attempting to employ. He begins trying to move toward the wall without being noticed.

H. Von Studley
2015-05-19, 11:20 PM
Ed nods and quietly replies to River. "Good work. Let's get inside the fortifications then."

Ed moves closer to the gate, keeping a careful eye behind him and gesturing for the group to follow.

Archemist
2015-05-20, 11:17 AM
Azrin felt a bit silly - of course these people wouldn't be speaking the same language as in Rhedris. Come to think of it, aside from Mossgandra and Hsmorjo, the group of Northeastern Fog crew might be the first people to have set foot on both islands in many years. He was glad the Captain had been learning the language, and that Mossgandra was around to translate.

What did it mean, though, that there were Basidironds here? Had the orcs found a way to weaponize them, then? That would be truly disturbing. Having them hiding in the deep caves was bad enough, but roaming around the surface, in the middle of town... Azrin shuddered.

He followed along with the rest, into the keep. Hopefully there were enough citizens here to mount a defense. If no one was left here after the long siege, the orcs had all but won already.

RandomWombat
2015-05-20, 01:08 PM
Once the gate is unbarred and opened, the group is quickly ushered in by the man on the other side. His longbow has been returned to its resting place attached to his quiver, and he now holds a tall two-handed spear. On one end is a standard diamond-shaped spear head, on the other is a heavy metal ball designed for bludgeoning. He's dressed in a mostly-white uniform like the picked-clean skeletons found on the docks. The collar and line down the center where the shirt is buttoned up, along with the pants, are a dimmer grey. A dull modest sort of purple marks three lines on the outer side of his shirt's left arm. Over the white shirt he wears hardened leather pauldrons, thin steel leg and arm guards, and what seems to be a set of brigandage underneath it. His left pauldron is decorated with a set of three purple line identical to those on the same arm, as is the corresponding arm guard.

The man gives Azrin a curious look, obviously never having seen a gnome before, but he doesn't bar the way. Mossgandra is given a polite nod of acknowledgement as she passes, which she returns.

"I'd started training with some of their elite warriors here before the siege cut us off," she proudly mentions to Olivin, holding up the bladed gauntlet on her arm. "They must recognize the weapon."

The Scizore is an arm-mounted weapon used by the king's guard here in the city. It's designed for a blend of offense and defense, allowing for fast and precise parrying once the user is accustomed to it, and protecting their arm from attack. The downside is that use of that arm is severely limited while wearing it.

In the courtyard outside the keep tower, a few tents have been set up, and everburning torches are set on stakes here and there. Men and women in civilian clothes mill about. Most are carrying little more than a simple dagger or a random object they picked up to defend themselves, such as a pitchfork or metal pot. Others look to have received some training and equipment, with basic leather armor, a small rounded shortsword for slashing, and a shortbow.

Men in military uniforms are on patrol shifts, either on the wall or keeping order in the courtyard. The walls don't seem to have anything inside of them, with the only interior structure being the tower. There are three entrances, one at ground level and two more from the walls. The tops of the walls can be accessed by means of a single set of stone stairs next to the gate.

After closing and re-barring the gate, the soldier that let them in approaches, accompanied by the one who was Messaging with them. "Who are you? Are you survivors from one of the other cities?" The one who let them in asks.

The one from up on the wall adds, "Did Ulseland send you?"

"Ulseland sent me to get inside the city and see how well you were holding. These men are mostly from elsewhere," Mossgandra nods to Edmund and his group. She says 'mostly' because Olivin is indeed a survivor from another city-state.

brandnewb
2015-05-21, 11:56 AM
Olivin looks appreciatively at the weapon and nods with a smile, “Very impressive. I never had the opportunity to try one of those. I spent my time in the arena with a whip.” Olivin gestures with the weapon he is still holding from being in the streets. “Not the most lethal weapon, but it puts on a good show in the arena. And it won’t pull me to the bottom of the ocean if I fall overboard. Now with what is happening here I am sure your skills will become uncomfortably necessary.”
Olivin nods when Mossgandra introduces the group. “These strangers are from a land some way from here. I am from Alynnon, served there as a merchant sailor. I have spent some time in the arena too. The orcs captured me early in the war, I was a slave until these folk set me free.”

RandomWombat
2015-05-21, 09:43 PM
"A survivor from Alynnon? Thank Erastil, we feared they'd slaughtered everyone like they did in Tiaond," the archer from the wall extends a conciliatory handshake towards Olivin. "It's good to see a live face from outside the walls... feel like a caged animal in here. Enough to make me disapprove of putting animals in the arena ever again." He pauses and his brief expression of surprise sours into one of regret. "I don't imagine things were much better for you out there."

brandnewb
2015-05-22, 05:38 AM
Olivin scowls "No it was not easy for me. I was not in Alynnon when it fell, they got me when my ship was captured. Orcs murder their prisoners with glee, luckily Orcs are also nearly as lazy as they are cruel. A ship is a lot of work, so as long as we were useful they suffered us being alive." Olivins scowl darkens further if that is possible. "If they take this city anyone they don't consider capable of hard labour will most probably be killed out of hand. And even a lot of those who could work will be slaughtered.

Olivin's tone becomes very grim and he addresses every guard who can here him, "If you have anyone you care about in this city then do not surrender. Our victory is their only hope. You do not want to spend the rest of your life with any doubt wether you could have done more to save them." Grief slips evidently into the last part of this statement.

H. Von Studley
2015-05-22, 09:20 AM
Ed listens solemnly to Olivin's speech. Although his Ulselandic isn't quite good enough to catch all of it, the tone clearly transcends language. When the former slave is done, Ed puts a hand on his shoulder and steps forward himself.

"Aye. I am Captain Edmund Grimace of his Majesty's Northeastern Fog. We belong to the navy of the Dragon Empire, an island three days voyage from here. We had been sent to investigate orcish raids and learned of the plight of Mirorhen from liberated slaves, like Olivin here. We come now to aid you, and to pledge our assistance against the orcish horde. Now, you must take me to your leader at once. I have urgent intelligence to share."

RandomWombat
2015-05-22, 12:03 PM
The guards listen to Olivin's speech. Some of them have dejected looks, recalling those they've lost. Others have set eyes full of determination. And then there are those among them who look to be without hope. Now they know that they won't just be killed, but enslaved and tormented, and their morale was low enough already.

"His Majesty, King Kenneth II is resting right now. But crossing the planks," the guard gestures to the 'bridge' leading from the wall down to the next adjacent house, "Lead to the wall. Prince Noland and Guard Captain Samuel are in command of the troops there ensuring the strix can't just fly up over the wall and open the gate. I'm sure they would appreciate any help."

Indori
2015-05-22, 05:46 PM
Orrick followed along wordlessly, taking care to memorize the minutiae of what the others, especially the Ulselandic guard, had to say. Kenneth the Second, king. Noland, prince, son of Kenneth? Samuel, captain of the guard.

H. Von Studley
2015-05-22, 08:18 PM
"You should rouse him. He needs to hear my counsel at once. I will go to the Prince once we've spoken with the King."

RandomWombat
2015-05-23, 01:59 AM
"You're certain it's important enough to wake the King over?" the guard asks.

"It is, yes. Trust me on that. Please, let us speak with the King," Mossgandra requests forcefully from beside Edmund. The guard nods.

"Alright. Come with me," he turns and leads them towards the door of the tower. The ground floor is a single, relatively small throne room. The tall stone throne rests against the back wall, with white cushions and gold along the edges. Certainly not as grand or huge as the throne room back in Stalling, but enough for small audiences. A stairway leads up around the walls of the room and ends in a door to the second floor room. Opposite the beginning of the stairway up is another door, which the guard opens. This one leads down instead. Oddly, the king's quarters must be somewhere below - probably for security. The guard beckons them to enter.

H. Von Studley
2015-05-23, 07:27 PM
Ed stares at the guard in disbelief for a moment, opening his mouth to rebuke him, before luckily Mossgandra cut in. The situation was here was clearly far worse than he had hoped. These men looked like they had been beaten already. The walls had better be in better shape than this, or Mirorhen was in serious trouble.

He nods wordlessly to the guard and follows him into the tower. As the guard shows him to the stairs going downwards he pauses. Down? An odd place to keep a king. Especially when a large part of their defenses were based on staying above the street level. Anyone down here could be trapped if an enemy attacked.

He looks at the guard. "After you, please. We would not want to greet a king unannounced." He stares at the man intently, watching for a reaction.

RandomWombat
2015-05-24, 08:37 PM
The guard raises an eyebrow and shrugs, then walks down the stairs first.

H. Von Studley
2015-05-24, 11:10 PM
Ed relaxes slightly and follows the guard down the stairs, although his steps are still a little wary.

RandomWombat
2015-05-24, 11:17 PM
At the bottom of the stairs is a small landing where the guard awaits. Leading out of the landing into the 'center' point below the tower is a solid, sturdy door. The guard knocks on the door and waits, shifting from foot to foot. He looks awkwardly at Edmund and knocks again.

"Ahem," scratching the back of his neck, the man tries a third time with no response. "As I said, His Majesty is resting. He is a deep sleeper."

Aeryk
2015-05-25, 08:24 AM
River also begins to feel a little uneasy, glancing over his shoulder often. When the guard doesn't get a response, he becomes suspicious, but doesn't say or do anything quite yet.

1. Ready a move action to double back if someone tries to spring a trap.
2. Sense Motive [roll0]

Archemist
2015-05-25, 11:25 AM
"Say there were an imminent orc attack, as in fact there very well is. Would he not want to be woken? Try a little harder!"

Azrin's outrage may lose some in translation, or due to his size, but at this point in the long day he does not care, and is gesturing a bit at the guard for emphasis.

RandomWombat
2015-05-25, 08:16 PM
Not getting much of a read, here. Hard to tell if the guard is genuine or not; everyone here looks tired and low on morale.

Sighing as the little elf shouts at him in words he can't understand, the guard knocks on the door a little harder. He waits a moment and then starts trying again, prompting a Yes!" from inside. Stepping back, the guard kneels in front of the door. Mossgandra follows suit respectfully. Soon after it opens and a balding middle-aged man with platinum blond hair steps out. He's dressed in a purple velvet nightrobe accented with gold trim. Thrown haphazardly overtop of it as a white quilted cloth vest, and the man is brandishing a small steel mace. Glancing around, the King sees the party of newcomers, then rests his still-half-asleep eyes on the guard.

"What is it, guardsman?" King Kenneth asks in Ulselandic, "Are we under attack?"

Indori
2015-05-27, 10:38 AM
Orrick, though he bore no allegiance to the king, bowed in respect.

H. Von Studley
2015-05-27, 10:13 PM
Ed stares a moment, quietly unimpressed with the man before him. Perhaps there was there was more to this King, but for now he did not cut much of a regal figure.

Putting aside the thoughts, Ed steps forward.

"Your Highness, you are not under attack, for the moment at least. My name is Captain Edmund Grimace and these are my officers. We bring you aid and vital intelligence from the Dragon Empire across the sea. We must speak at once. We have little time."

RandomWombat
2015-05-27, 10:46 PM
"Who? What?" the King stares confoundedly at Edmund through his tired eyes, then tucks his mace under his arm and rubs his eyes. Afterwards he takes the mace in his hand again and takes a closer look at Edmund. "Foreigners come to help? Well speak, then, if it's so urgent you had to rouse me from my sleep. The riddle of your appearance here can be solved another time.'

Aside at those kneeling and bowing, the King makes a small gesture and the guard rises at the signal.

H. Von Studley
2015-05-28, 03:39 AM
Ed nods. "Good. We come from a naval ship, sent out to investigate orcish raiders. After a few skirmishes in which we freed Ulselandic prisoners, we learned that your city was under siege. Worse still, we learned that elite magical warriors are due to break into Mirorhen tonight to open the gates and let the hordes inside. We came as part of a two stage plan: first we snuck past the Orcish blockade to help you repel the infiltrators, and then tomorrow morning we will attack with the full force of our navy and break the Orcish blockade. You will be free to evacuate those who need it and bring in any reinforcements you might have access to.

"Right now, we need to move quickly though. We have to warn your defenses about the infiltrators, then find and repel them before they can open the gates. How many gates are there that they could open?"

Aeryk
2015-05-28, 08:11 AM
River stands quietly at the back of the group, and seeing that Ed doesn't bow, neither does he. He also eyes the mace in the king's hand warily, but visibly relaxes once he thinks that this probably isn't a trap. Nonetheless, he continues to observe their surroundings and the guards.

RandomWombat
2015-05-28, 09:41 AM
Listening to Edmund's explanation, the King's expression grows grim, then nearing the end it becomes hopeful. "If we can evacuate by sea, then not all is lost."

"There are three ways into the city: by the single set of main gates, by sea, or by air. The Strix have been starving us out to keep from losing resources on us, but it sounds like they must have grown bored of watching us wither away in here. Guardsman," King Kenneth speaks to the guard that led them down there, "Get everyone on alert, tell them I will speak with them soon. I must make myself presentable." Then he looks to Edmund, "My son and the captain of the city guard are in charge of defending the gates should the orcs decide to charge. Go and inform them as well."

Without further ado, the King returns to his room and shuts the door. With new hope in his eyes, the guard from before starts heading back up the stairs.

H. Von Studley
2015-05-29, 03:38 AM
Ed gives the man a nod and follows the guard back up the stairs. As he walks, he drops back a little and whispers to Orrick. "Watch the people here closely for signs of disease. The poor wretches have been living in awful conditions for a while now, and I'll bet the basididronds don't help. If the King doesn't have ships of his own he may expect us to take refugees on ours. We need to know if any might be contagious before we commit to doing so."

Once the guard has given his message to the waiting soldiers, Ed beckons to him. "Escort us to the Prince and Captain please. We must move quickly, and you'll need to vouch for us."

Roughly what time of night is it?

RandomWombat
2015-05-29, 12:54 PM
Their guide informs the guards outside of the keep door that the King will be making an appearance to speak soon, and to get everyone in order.

"Right this way, travelers, up on the wall," with his first task done the guard climbs up the stairs to the wall around the keep courtyard, heading for the rickety bridge to the nearest rooftop. "Now take it nice and slow, don't want to fall down there." Below them the streets are full of shadows and nooks where the green monsters may be hidden. The going across the rooftops is slow and one at a time.

It should be somewhere between 11 and 12.

H. Von Studley
2015-05-29, 06:54 PM
Ed carefully picks his way along the bridges, doing his best to avoid looking down. At least if one thing could be said for the lighter armor, it certainly made things like this easier. But his defenses would need to be supplemented.

Ed glances over at the rest of the group as they walk, looking faintly uncomfortable. "Forgive me, this is a little macabre, but it's a useful spell."

Pulling the bleached white leg bone from his belt, Ed holds it out and mutters a few words. The bone glows for a moment, then rises up out of his hand and hovers silently an inch from his hip. It follows him closely as he walks. Ed draws his cloak around a little more tightly, partially shielding it from view.

Ed casts Defending Bone (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/defending-bone) on himself.

Archemist
2015-05-29, 07:49 PM
Azrin is fascinated by this new development. "Amazing, Sir! But... what exactly is it doing?" He's always curious.

He is still nimbly tagging along, wishing he perhaps had prepared his own Urban Grace spell this morning; he hadn't figured they'd be walking the rigging or between roofs this morning.

H. Von Studley
2015-05-29, 08:08 PM
Ed sounds less than certain, although he's clearly relieved that Azrin's reaction is merely curiosity."Well, it's the first time I've used it, but if I'm attacked it should intercept and deflect the blow. We'll see though."

It gives Ed DR 5/Bludgeoning for four hours, or until it's absorbed 20 points of damage. Pretty cool spell, although slightly gory. :smalltongue:

Archemist
2015-05-29, 08:20 PM
I had looked it up IRL, of course, but Azrin doesn't have that luxury. :smallsmile:

(At a point when they're not in immediate danger of falling from a plank, say...)

Azrin swings his musket's stock down towards the Captain's toes.

If anyone cares, it's a non-lethal melee improvised-weapon attack: [roll0]
I'm just gonna assume he misses due to the bone, haha.

"Ohh, I see! Clever," Azrin says, as the musket is knocked aside.

Aeryk
2015-05-29, 10:29 PM
River raises an eye at the strange floating bone. As he walks along behind the group, he reflects on it a little.

Magic wasn't really his forte, though he found it useful to be in the company of those who were more well-versed in its ways than he. Even his own limited ability to manipulate elemental energies was difficult to understand. He didn't specifically know how it worked, only that he had some mental control over when it happened, and he generally found it easier in the heat of battle, or moments of elevated stress. He knew that he would certainly never have the capacity to learn it the way a wizard might, and he just didn't have the devotion to any divine force to acquire abilities that way. His strength came more from force of will and spirit than anything else.

He allows his mind to wander a little before remembering that they were still in danger, then focuses on the task at hand, looking down into the streets and allies for potential threats, and keeping a good eye on his footing as well.

RandomWombat
2015-05-30, 12:39 AM
While the party walks along the planks, they hear a sound from one of the side streets below, like snapping wood. A quick check reassures that their 'bridge' has not given way. Someone screams in the same direction.

H. Von Studley
2015-05-30, 07:59 AM
Ed watches with interest as the bone turns Azrin's blow aside and then flies back to his hip. Their experiments are quickly interrupted though by the scream. Ed frowns, his hand going to his glaive as he turns to the guard.

"What was that? Are there still people down there?"

brandnewb
2015-05-30, 11:59 PM
Olivin looks down into the streets, scanning in the direction of the scream. "If there are people down there I am inclined to help them. But we still need to get this message to the Guard Captain and Prince." He turns to their guide, "If we went to try and assist, do you have a quick way to get us back to safety if needed?" To his group he says, "Someone should continue to deliver the message as soon as possible."

Archemist
2015-05-31, 01:17 AM
Scanning the street below, Azrin sights down his musket, intending to use it in the proper fashion this time if orcs appear. "Mr. Drummond, you'd said some of these orcs could turn invisible? Is there any way to tell where one might be?

"I could run ahead but I barely know the language... Olivin or Mossgandra seem like logical messengers. The guards here can lead the way for one of them. Can we ask about whether anybody should be down there, though? And if there's a way for us to get down and investigate?"

RandomWombat
2015-05-31, 01:31 AM
"Some people boarded up their homes, there might be people still alive out there. We just don't have the manpower or morale to get people to sweep the city," their guide explains, looking apprehensively towards the noise. "But there's no direct way back up except climbing or going back to the gate... and that noise is going to draw the freaking plant things."

H. Von Studley
2015-05-31, 08:25 AM
Ed grits his teeth in frustration, clearly torn.

"You're right," to Olivin and Azrin then, turning to Mossgandra, "Go ahead and warn the Prince. We'll follow as soon as we can."

He steps forward, reaching for his length of rope before remembering he'd used it to tie up the submersible. "Quickly, does anyone have a rope? We have to get down there and get whoever that is up to safety. Speed is the priority here, don't engage anything unless you have to. We need to get to that gate."

Archemist
2015-05-31, 10:23 AM
"Quickly, does anyone have a rope? We have to get down there and get whoever that is up to safety. Speed is the priority here, don't engage anything unless you have to. We need to get to that gate."

Azrin says a quick, "Aye, sir" and pulls a rope (attached to a grappling hook) out of his pack. "Let's find something to hook this to and make this quick."

RandomWombat
2015-05-31, 08:58 PM
"Here," the guard points Azrin to the chimney of the wealthy home they're standing atop. "We can attach it there. Thank Bergelmir for hearths."

Mossgandra looks reluctant to go, obviously wanting to help whoever is under attack down there. But she nods slowly to Edmund. "I will ensure they are warned and begin preparations."

brandnewb
2015-05-31, 09:32 PM
Olivin's eyes narrow, "I have been thinking Sir, we are expecting a covert mission by the enemy. What if this is some type of trap or distraction?" Olivin turns to the guard that has been leading them. "How long has it been, or how often is it that you get an indication of people done there? Why might they have not tried to find shelter in an area you have secured?" He turns back to the Captain, "We should be carefull."

RandomWombat
2015-05-31, 10:47 PM
"The plant things just sit there silently in the dark until prey comes by. Going from sealed place to sealed place isn't easy - it's why we had to nail up all these planks. And that wasn't exactly easy either. We lost at least ten men... and more of those awful monsters ate their way out of them." The man visibly shakes while recalling the sight.

H. Von Studley
2015-06-01, 02:20 AM
Ed looks away for a moment while the man collects himself, then turns back to the group.

"Come on, we've got no more time to waste. Anyone who wants to stay up here on overwatch should do so. We may need to get back up the rope in a hurry, and the fewer we are the quicker we'll be. Guardsman, you stay here and anchor that rope. We might need you to pull us up."

Then without anything further he walks to the edge, takes a hold of the rope, glances down, and with a deep, steadying breath he lowers himself into the darkness.

RandomWombat
2015-06-01, 09:21 AM
Edmund descends to the street below, while the guardsman steadies the rope and makes sure it doesn't come loose. Who will join him?

Aeryk
2015-06-01, 09:47 AM
River will go.

How high off the ground are we?

Archemist
2015-06-01, 09:58 AM
Azrin will also go, though he will generally follow behind the two big sailors. As a gnome, he has decent vision in moonlight, but he checks with the Captain: "Sir, shall I make a light? I could do it magically if we'd rather not break out torches (they may still be a bit damp, anyhow), and I could have the lights go on ahead of us, also. Unless you'd rather we not draw attention to ourselves."

RandomWombat
2015-06-01, 10:10 AM
The building is two stories tall, so the party are approximately 25 feet up.

Aeryk
2015-06-01, 10:29 AM
River will look down to make sure there is no immediate danger, then hang down by the ledge and drop down lightly on his feet using the wall to slow his descent, eschewing use of the rope.

Hanging down so he is 20ish feet from the ground, and using his slow fall monk ability to go the rest of the way.

brandnewb
2015-06-01, 12:06 PM
Olivin waits for the Captain to be clear then puts the handle of the whip in his teeth, just before he lowers himself he says. "Make sure the warning makes it to the guards right away." Then he lowers himself down to the road. Once he is on the ground he pulls the whip back out from its place between his teeth and takes a ready stance on the ground. He has a trip combat manouver ready.

Archemist
2015-06-01, 12:25 PM
Azrin descends the normal rope-sorta way, and decides he is going to light the place up a bit after all. He casts a spell upon reaching the ground, and a nearby streetlight that had been darkened now glows magically. As the party proceeds down the road he will keep doing this as necessary at intervals, or unless the Captain tells him to stop. When he lights up a new spot, the previous one goes dark.

He's casting the cantrip Light, of course, and it'll last in a given spot for 40 minutes.

Indori
2015-06-01, 07:01 PM
Orrick readied his bow as the others began climbing down the rope. He whispered to Azrin and Edmund as they went down, "I'll remain above and cover you. Stay in the light as best you can, lest there are any ghost-faced orcs, as you said."

As they disappeared below, he pulled a few arrows from his quiver and gripped them between his fingers with his bow-hand. Nocking one of them, he skirted the edge of the building, gazing out into the darkness ahead of the rescue group for any sign of danger.

Gazing! Perception: [roll0]

RandomWombat
2015-06-02, 01:27 AM
Most of the party is now in the street that runs alongside the perimeter of the keep wall; if they need to flee back to the ropes, the guardsmen on the wall will be able to help cover them. The sounds of panic and cracking wood can be heard from the second intersection ahead, turning off to the left. There is a smaller side street between their position and the origin of the noise, passing behind two large homes. By the smell as they get closer it seems to be a draining ditch where the chamberpots are dumped out of the back windows. Either rain or applied buckets of water (when the smell gets too bad) washes the waste away to a sewage hole. Stalling uses a similar system in the wealthier districts. Some unlucky group of workers has the job of taking the container out of the sewage hole regularly, then delivering it to somewhere it won't bother anyone.

Peering down into the side street, Orrick can make out a single shape leisurely making its way towards the street outside the keep wall. The basidirond's tendrils are reaching around and picking at bits of unpleasant things the ground; finding no sustenance it continues to follow the noise. It will be in sight of the rest of the party (and the four guards on watch at this side of the keep wall) soon. The alley below is at a slant, leading away from the main street and towards a hole leading underground. The smell informs Orrick what this is as well as it did the rest of the party.

H. Von Studley
2015-06-02, 03:04 AM
Ed groans softly as he realises where the quickest route to the cries of distress would take him. Moving quickly but carefully he plunges into the alley, doing his best to keep to the edge of the ditch and above the foul-smelling substance below.

An odd thought pops into his head and he half-smiles to himself at the irony.

Well, at least I'm not ruining my nice armor...

RandomWombat
2015-06-02, 03:13 AM
The distress is not coming from the alley, but rather the next main street down past the alley.

Aeryk
2015-06-02, 08:59 AM
River offers to take point, keeping a low profile and peering around corners before the rest of the group walks behind. As he goes, he glances up at Orrick at regular intervals, watching for any signals.

Stealth check: [roll0]

Indori
2015-06-02, 10:32 AM
Orrick covered his nose and tried his best to breath through his mouth as he looked down over the scene. A scuttling motion caught his eye: a basilirond roaming the refuse laden trench below. Silhouetted somewhat against the night sky, Orrick gave a wave of warning to those below, catching River's eye. He held his right hand down near his ankle and wiggled his fingers, as if pantomiming a crawling spider, followed by a raised, singular index finger. Then he made a pointed, jabbing motion toward the alleyway. His hand, finished signaling, returned to the bowstring, but did not draw it back. Better to wait and see what actions the others would take than to alert the plant-beast to their presence by attacking.

Archemist
2015-06-02, 11:09 AM
Orrick covered his nose and tried his best to breath through his mouth as he looked down over the scene. A scuttling motion caught his eye: a basilirond roaming the refuse laden trench below. Silhouetted somewhat against the night sky, Orrick gave a wave of warning to those below, catching River's eye. He held his right hand down near his ankle and wiggled his fingers, as if pantomiming a crawling spider, followed by a raised, singular index finger. Then he made a pointed, jabbing motion toward the alleyway. His hand, finished signaling, returned to the bowstring, but did not draw it back. Better to wait and see what actions the others would take than to alert the plant-beast to their presence by attacking.

Azrin notices Orrick's hand waving and says, "Oh, right." He casts the messaging spell on the group again. "Mr. Drummond, what is it? Is a basidirond over there? Just one, I hope?"

He makes sure the captain has seen the warning, and alerts him if not. Azrin looks for nearby doorways or cover that would give a view of the intersection of the alley and the main road the party is on, so as to get in position to shoot whatever might come out.

RandomWombat
2015-06-02, 12:46 PM
The street is mostly open here, aside a few leftover bones. The wealthy-looking home they'd been standing atop doesn't have its windows boarded up; the inhabitants live close enough to the keep that they probably went there immediately. There are no side doors on this side, but they could climb in one of the latched windows if they were able to pry it open from outside. The next home on the other side of the alley does have a side door on this side of it, but it may be locked and would require passing the alley. The party could also hide around the corner behind them, on the street leading to the central plaza.

River peeks around the corner unnoticed and sees the basidirond approaching. It's about 30 feet away and isn't moving very quickly (5 ft. per round) as it picks through the refuse and bones for edible scraps. The basidirond notices movement on the edge of its tremorsense even though it can't see River and moves a little more quickly in that direction. It is now 10 feet away from the entrance to the alley.

Indori
2015-06-02, 02:11 PM
Orrick watched River peek around the corner just as Azrin's voice whispered in his ear. He angled his arrow toward it and slowly drew back the string, responding, "Yes, just the one, moving quickly toward you. Shall I shoot?"

In any case, Orrick will shoot the thing as soon as it sees the party or they make their presence known.

H. Von Studley
2015-06-03, 02:42 AM
Where're the noises coming from in the next street? If Orrick shot an arrow over its head and distracted it could we sneak past it? Sorry, I'm having a hard time visualising the scene.

RandomWombat
2015-06-03, 08:59 AM
The noises are coming from the next street over, past the crap alley.

http://s21.postimg.org/b5fg0qnrr/citymap4.png

Archemist
2015-06-03, 05:00 PM
"Here goes nothing," mumbles Azrin towards the Message-ees, as he edges down the side of the street across from the alley. He steps up to where he can see down the alley and says, "Nighty-night," waving his free hand in the air, wiggling his fingers, then bringing the hand down towards the ground.

Figured I'd just kick off with that since it's the sneaky approach. He casts Slumber (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/hexes/common-hexes/hex-slumber-su), which has no HD limit and is a standard action but is otherwise like Sleep. The basidirond (again, if it's not immune to such things) should make a Will Save, DC 15.

Aeryk
2015-06-03, 06:10 PM
River sees the thing shambling a little more quickly in his direction, and ducks back, pointing down the alley and making a gesture with his fist slamming his opposite palm to try and alert those following behind. He gets ready to pounce on the basidrond as soon as it gets to the corner.

Readying an attack action as for a surprise attack when the basidirond gets to the corner within melee range.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

brandnewb
2015-06-03, 08:17 PM
When Olivin sees the signal given by River he begins walking north until he is 15ft back from the entrance of the alley, and visible down it. He spots the creature and readys a trip combat manoeuvre for as soon as it enters the alley opening and is in range of his whip.

Move action into position, so the critter can see Olivin.
Standard action to ready a trip.

The intent is that I will trip the creature right when it runs in front of River.

brandnewb
2015-06-03, 08:20 PM
To save time if he charges and I can do this. Here is the Roll for the trip. He will provoke when he stands back up.

[roll0]

H. Von Studley
2015-06-03, 10:15 PM
Ed steps closer to River, silently drawing his glaive and preparing to strike the creature.

After the trip attempt resolves preferably:
(Power) Attack: [roll0]

RandomWombat
2015-06-04, 09:55 PM
Azrin steps out in front of the alley and wiggles his fingers at the Basidirond, accomplishing nothing. Well, not necessarily true; the Basidirond senses his movement and immediately charges out of the alley where Olivin expertly wraps his whip around one of the creature's three legs and yanks, sending it skidding to a stop on its side. River aims to pounce and stomp on the creature, but it lashes out with its tendrils and he can't find an opening. Edmund has more luck and is able to leave a cut in its side with his glaive.

Orrick and each of the four archers above quickly loose their arrows as the enemy makes itself known. Orrick's arrow pierces directly into the thing's maw, two more arrows from above striking its underbelly and another two clattering off of the stone street. It is heavily damaged already and weakly tries to right itself as its plant juices spill onto the stone street.

Basidirond charges Azrin, but is tripped by Olivin.
River misses.
Edmund hits for 11 damage.
I rolled Orrick's attack he declared, he critically hits for 19 damage.
Two Mirorhen Archers on the wall hit for 13 damage combined.

The Basidirond attempts to stand, provoking attacks of opportunity from Ed and River. Whether it gets its standard action depends on whether they kill it with those attacks.

H. Von Studley
2015-06-04, 10:14 PM
Ed pulls his glaive backwards and then forwards again in a fluid spinning motion, slicing at the already wounded creature as it struggles to stand.

AoO:
Power attacking still, but no bonus from furious focus this time:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

Aeryk
2015-06-05, 09:21 AM
River curses under his breath in frustration, but quickly moves to take advantage of the downed basidirond with a hammer kick.

Damage:[roll1]

RandomWombat
2015-06-05, 01:18 PM
Edmund delivers a downwards slash, nearly cutting the beast in half, and River stomps on the wound, squishing greenish-yellow juices all over his foot. The basidirond quivers and drops to the ground with a whump, dead.

Archemist
2015-06-05, 01:22 PM
Edmund delivers a downwards slash, nearly cutting the beast in half, and River stomps on the wound, squishing greenish-yellow juices all over his foot. The basidirond quivers and drops to the ground with a whump, dead.

Azrin whispers up to Orrick, "Nice shooting! Thanks for the warning."

And to the others, via the more usual mode of talking, "Well done, everyone! Now let's see about that noise up ahead..."

H. Von Studley
2015-06-05, 06:59 PM
Ed grins to himself despite the situation. There was a reason this team kept getting picked for the dangerous missions, and their many fights together were clearly starting to pay off. The basidirond hadn't had a chance.

Azrin's voice shakes him from his thoughts. Gripping the glaive tightly he nods and starts off down the street.

Aeryk
2015-06-06, 08:52 AM
River smears the ichor off his foot on the corner of the building with a disgusted look on his face, then grimly carries on forward. He'll move on up to the next corner where the noises are, listening more intently to what is going on, and looking up to Orrick first for some kind of signal before deciding what to do.

Indori
2015-06-06, 12:16 PM
Orrick smirked as the arrow he had fired pierced the plant-beast, then the rest of the group moved in for the kill. He gave a brief wave to Azrin, then moved on. He took a few steps back, then leapt across the gap of the alley with a running start, easily crossing the distance. He gently crept up the slope of the roof while preparing another arrow, and peered over the edge.

Taking 10 on that Acrobatics check should be plenty.

brandnewb
2015-06-07, 08:01 AM
Olivin watches as the group quickly takes down the enemy. Once it is dispatched he begins moving toward the other ally. He will wait till everyone is in position like before, when whoever is scouting gives the signal he will step out into the open and ready a trip for whatever comes after them.

RandomWombat
2015-06-07, 11:36 AM
Orrick leaps across the rooftops to the next house over while River sidles up to the corner and looks around. Further down the street - mostly composed of two-story houses - is a single story home with boarded up windows. A group of three shapes have gathered around one of the windows and are smashing through it. It's difficult to make out exactly at this distance, as the light of the sun has fallen from the sky and the group is now in the dark. Doesn't take much to guess that the squat tendril-lashing shapes are basidirond, however.

http://s8.postimg.org/ee03ovhit/citymap4.png

That's a door and a boarded up window on the attacked house.

Indori
2015-06-07, 12:49 PM
"Mr. Bluestone," Orrick whispered, crouching down at the edge of the roof. He set off immediately, staying low and picking his way carefully down the roof line, hopping small gaps here and there. He did his best not to alert the basilirond pack to his presence as he headed west. As he went, he continued, "Three more of those creatures are trying to get into a house down the street. I'm moving closer. I can probably catch the lot of them off guard."

Archemist
2015-06-07, 01:30 PM
"Mr. Bluestone," Orrick whispered, crouching down at the edge of the roof. He set off immediately, staying low and picking his way carefully down the roof line, hopping small gaps here and there. He did his best not to alert the basilirond pack to his presence as he headed west. As he went, he continued, "Three more of those creatures are trying to get into a house down the street. I'm moving closer. I can probably catch the lot of them off guard."

Azrin relays the message to his group--"Three more down the next street, says Mr. Drummond. It looks like we can surprise this bunch, which'd be good to do, though I think we should go ahead and be loud about it when we fight them, and then just rescue whoever is in that house and be on our way before more show up."

Archemist
2015-06-07, 11:53 PM
Sorry for the double-post, I just wanted to make sure the distraction didn't get lost by not notifying those who've got the thread on email-update, etc.

Without further ado, Azrin notifies Orrick and the others about his plan to distract the basidirond. He heads back to the rope and climbs up again, and joins Orrick. Then he heads two houses closer to the basidirond, where he ducks down and whispers to the others, "Be ready to run in; I'm not sure how long they'll be fooled by my rendition of Danse Royale." When it seems they're ready, he creates the sound of ten or so musicians playing loudly to the south of where the basidirond are, originating from the wall of the building across the alleyway, at ground level.

Ghost Sound only lasts 4 rounds, but he'll supplement with Dancing Lights next round. Also, I think taking 10 on climbing is ok... if you'd rather I roll, RW, well... let's just assume I fall into the alley a couple times and try again until I get it right. :smallbiggrin:

H. Von Studley
2015-06-08, 12:24 AM
Ed grins as the resourceful gnome begins his distraction and readies himself to run over once the basidironds are out of sight.

Aeryk
2015-06-08, 08:53 AM
River also readies to run to the house if the basidironds go for the distraction. If they don't go for it, he will run past them about 50 feet and act as a more concrete distraction.
(Which he can do as a run action in a single round)

Archemist
2015-06-08, 10:04 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/WTh928fLUBtdoRTEzDeIvuPnc0r-P6w4CpdOm1EL7M8=w1253-h482-no

The star would be the Ghost Sound - though if he can get it further down the alley, he probably will. He'll also be trying to avoid attracting attention up top...
Stealth: [roll0]

He's not supposed to be a clumsy character, he just rolls that way, haha.

RandomWombat
2015-06-08, 12:29 PM
Azrin returns to the rooftops and follows in Orrick's footsteps, hopping from building to building to get where he needs to be. The party prepares to charge in, and Azrin creates the sound of a band playing in the alley just west of where the basidirond are. By the time he gets there the window fortifications have been busted apart and they are crowding around it in preparation to climb in. Two of them turn away from their initial prey upon hearing the loud noise and begin scrambling that way. Upon arriving they see Azrin and begin flailing their toothy tentacles at him as they look around dully for a way onto the roof.

The final basidirond seems to have been unaffected by the illusion and continues to climb through the window, until River runs past. It pauses briefly, but once River runs far out of range in the darkness the creature loses interest and enters the building. Edmund runs down the street and up to the building (presumably accompanied by Olivin), where the two basidirond outside are too busy trying to get to Azrin to notice.

Azrin's noisy distraction doesn't seem to have drawn more basidirond yet. Edmund can see inside through the window where the basidirond is in a small dining room. It senses Edmund approach with its tremorsense and turns to face the window.

Aeryk
2015-06-08, 12:58 PM
River dashes back to Edmund to provide whatever assistance he can, and following Ed's lead.

brandnewb
2015-06-08, 06:59 PM
Olivin accompanies the Captain as they approach the creatures. Once he is standing 15ft from the closest creature he stops. He takes his Whip in hand and cracks out a savage blow attempting to trip the closest of the monsters and bring it down.

[roll0]

Anyone standing beside him when he tries to stand back up will get an AoO. It will also slow him down so we only get charged by one this turn.

H. Von Studley
2015-06-09, 01:52 AM
Moments after Olivin whips the basidirond, Ed stops outside the window, glaive in hand. Gazing past the creature he scans the room and speaks in Ulselandic. He calls out in a low voice, trying not to attract the attention of the distracted basidironds.

"Hey! Whoever was in here come to me quickly! We can protect you, but we need to go now!"

That done, he turns his attention to the plant monster in front of him. They wouldn't be able to get anyone out if it stayed where it was. He jabs at it with his glaive to get its attention and begins moving away from the window, whispering to the others next to him.

"Same plan! We need to get it out of there!"

RandomWombat
2015-06-09, 09:04 AM
River runs up to the window next to Edmund and Olivin, the latter of which lashes his whip around one of the basidirond's legs. It proves too difficult to topple it however, and Olivin's whip comes loose.

The trip attempt failed, their CMD vs trip attempts is 25. Mid-turn update in case Edmund changes his action due to it still being up. Orrick and Azrin still have their actions.
Also, a map of the house:

http://s24.postimg.org/n6ypf9k85/housemap1.png

The outer openings are windows (except the smaller one which is a door), the ones between rooms are doors, which despite the image are currently closed.

Archemist
2015-06-09, 09:50 AM
Azrin casts another spell, gesturing and speaking this time in full view of the basidironds below, summoning a glowing red vaguely-menacing human-sized shape at the deeper end of the alley (so basidironds looking at it would be facing away from the house where the others are). "Wooooooaaaoooo!" Azrin cries, in a faux-ghostly moaning, waving and pointing at the hovering figure.

Also, Ghost Sound music is on round 2/4.

Indori
2015-06-10, 12:19 AM
Orrick drew back his arrow as he slid up next to Azrin, remarking, "Not sure they're falling for it. Perhaps something more direct?" before aiming steeply downward and firing. His shot flew almost straight down toward the pair of basilironds.
Shootin' 'em!

Archemist
2015-06-10, 12:42 AM
Orrick drew back his arrow as he slid up next to Azrin, remarking, "Not sure they're falling for it. Perhaps something more direct?" before aiming steeply downward and firing. His shot flew almost straight down toward the pair of basilironds.

"A welcome suggestion! Now that you're here, it's a fair fight - you can take the one on the left."

Azrin will start shooting... next round, when he has actions again.

RandomWombat
2015-06-11, 09:22 AM
River, Edmund, and Olivin are gathered around the window on all sides, Edmund harassing the basidirond inside and trying to draw it out. The creature instinctively follows and crawls back out of the window.

River and Edmund can make AoO as it climbs out if they choose to. I'll withhold its action until they decide, since River's elemental fist might affect its actions.

Meanwhile, one of the basidirond to the south wanders towards the lights Azrin conjured, which move around to form a vaguely humanoid shape. It attacks the lights ineffectually. The second one snaps Orrick's arrow out of the air with one of its jawed tendrils, spitting out the wood when it finds it inedible. The creature begins trying to ascend the wall, but cannot find purchase on the building's exterior.

Indori
2015-06-11, 09:44 AM
Orrick straightened up with a look of consternation on his face, as if he had been insulted by the basilirond snatching his arrow in mid-flight. Still looking down at them, he hefted his bow in his hand a few times, almost unsure of what to do next. He and Azrin seemed to be keeping the attention of the two creatures below, and they weren't making great strides to scale the side of the building. Across the way, the Captain and the others seemed to have the remaining basilirond under control. With little urgency in his voice, he croaked to Azrin, "I may have to try a different tack." He smirked at the unintended nautical reference and finished, "But I fear an explosion would only alert more of them to our presence."

brandnewb
2015-06-11, 11:10 AM
When Olivin realizes his attempt to trip the creature has failed, and the speed with which it deflected the arrow Olivin let's out what can be neatly described as a sailors curse. With determination he steps up to the creature attempting to climb the wall. With a hard swing he attacks the creature.

[roll0]

[roll1]

Aeryk
2015-06-11, 01:31 PM
River sees the basidirond coming and remembers Azrin discussing something about them being sensitive to the cold. His fist quickly cools and he attempts to uppercut it, leaving a frosty mist in the air as he swings.

Attack:[roll0]
Elemental Fist:[roll2] Cold

Aeryk
2015-06-11, 01:33 PM
Are we also flanking? Also, are there multiple opportunities? eg, one for the basidirond climbing through the window in a threatened square and one for moving out of a threatened square? Just trying to imagine the set-up. Also, does Ed's action count as aiding another? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Aid-Another)

Sorry, I know I'm grasping at straws here :smallbiggrin:

RandomWombat
2015-06-11, 09:24 PM
Only 1 AoO for moving out of a threatened square (that being the square just inside the window, into the square just outside of the window). Flanking applies, but you still fall just short of its 18 AC. I'd rule that Edmund/HVS can make his AoO an Aid Another action if he so chooses, which might let you hit.

H. Von Studley
2015-06-11, 10:38 PM
Ed lifts his glaive strike as the basidirond clambers through the window, but just before he swings he spots the icy mist forming around River's fist. Grinning despite the situation, he hold the polearm horizontally in two hands and shoves the creature off balance.

Aiding River:
[roll0] (flanking included)

RandomWombat
2015-06-11, 11:11 PM
Catching the critter with the flat of his glaive, Edmund pushes it into River's punch. The chill sinks into the basidirond's body and it shudders slightly, then with sluggish movements lashes out at River. Despite the movement being slow at first its jaws hit with surprising momentum and grip into River, tearing out a chunk of flesh.

Hallucinogen Cloud and Spores on Basidirond 2 are subdued for 2 more rounds after this one.
Basidirond 2 hits River for 15 damage.

Basidirond 1 is attempting to scale the wall, and Basidirond 3 is attacking the Dancing Lights.
It is the party's turn again. Olivin, River, and Edmund are adjacent to Basidirond 2.

Archemist
2015-06-11, 11:33 PM
Azrin shrugs to Orrick. "Regarding bombs, do as you like, though it seems this one has a trick for dealing with arrows. Let's see how he does with a bullet." He levels his musket at the basidirond trying to climb up. Between the music and lights down below, he's somewhat proud of his distraction abilities, but it's time to get down to business here. After shooting, he reloads.

Edited to add: ...And vows to do better with the next shot.

Attack on Basidirond #1: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]
Ghost sound: 3/4 rounds.
Dancing lights: 2/10 rounds done.

H. Von Studley
2015-06-12, 02:08 AM
Ed's grin vanishes as he watches River take a painful bite. Regaining his composure he whispers to the others "Split up!" before backing away from the basidirond and taking off down the street.

Ed will take the withdraw action, moving 50' away and preferably turning a corner or putting something in between himself and the basidirond to stop it charging.

brandnewb
2015-06-14, 10:35 AM
Olivin watches as the Captain runs on by him. He looks at the creature that just attacked River. He takes his whip in hand and directs another powerfull blow at the creature. Then he takes a move action to go back down thde alley in the direction he came.

Olivin should still be 15ft from the creature. His standard is to keep the full distance of his reach whenever possible.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Move action to withdraw 30 feet back the way Olivin came.

Let's try and isolate one, we can take down lone ones without too much trouble.

Edit: screwed up the damage rolll, but I missed anyway

Aeryk
2015-06-14, 05:00 PM
River is left reeling from the painful attack and angrily makes a flurry of retaliatory strike before stepping back from the basidirond.

Attack 1:[roll0]

Attack 2:[roll2]
Damage:[roll3]

Expending 1 ki point for an additional attack
Attack 3:[roll4]
Damage:[roll5]

Then 5' stepping back.

River (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=969183)

Lawful Neutral Human Monk (ECL 4)

HP 19/36, Initiative +5, Speed 40, BAB +3.
AC 18, Touch 18, Flat-Footed 14, CMB +8, CMD 26
Fort+6, Ref+8, Will+7

Unarmed Strike +7 (1d8+3)
Flurry of Blows +6/+6 (1d8+3)

Effects: None

Abilities: STR 16, DEX 16, CON 15, INT 17, WIS 16, CHA 7

Special Abilities:
Elemental Fist (+1d6) 3/4.
Ki Pool 5/6

Indori
2015-06-16, 02:43 PM
Azrin shrugs to Orrick. "Regarding bombs, do as you like, though it seems this one has a trick for dealing with arrows. Let's see how he does with a bullet." He levels his musket at the basidirond trying to climb up. Between the music and lights down below, he's somewhat proud of his distraction abilities, but it's time to get down to business here. After shooting, he reloads.

Edited to add: ...And vows to do better with the next shot.

Attack on Basidirond #1: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]
Ghost sound: 3/4 rounds.
Dancing lights: 2/10 rounds done.
"We both will need to examine our methods, it seems," Orrick began, chuckling at Azrin's wayward shot. Far below the bullet's impact scarred the mortar of the street. Having decided not to try a bomb for fear of needing the supplies later, he drew another arrow from the quiver at his waist and set it in his bow. He started to draw it back and take aim down the wall of the building, but stopped suddenly and said, "Ah, yes, I've just the thing."

Looking down, he patted the water-logged belts that he wore across his torso. Finding what he wanted, an orange-glazed vial, he examined it to be sure that the seal was intact and that no seawater had infiltrated the container. Satisfied that none had, he carefully unstoppered it and poured the liquid over the steel broadhead. The clear liquid coated point, somehow not dripping off, but seemed to do little else.

Move action to pull an alchemist's fire from a bandolier, and another move action to use Alchemical Weapon. When Orrick fires the arrow, it'll do 1d6 fire plus the normal damage.
Orrick Drummond (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=790225)
Male LN Human Alchemist, Level 4, Init +3, HP 26/32, Speed 30 ft
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 17, Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +2, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 3, Action Points 1
Longbow, composite +6 (1d8+1, x3)
Bomb (8/8) +7 (2d6+4, x2)
Sickle +4 (1d6+1, x2)
Masterwork Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 13, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 8
Condition Scarred Throat (-1 Con drain, difficulty speaking)
Extracts L1: 1/4, L2: 0/2

RandomWombat
2015-06-16, 08:01 PM
Azrin's shot rings out, piercing through the Basidirond and impacting the street below. The sharp crack of the musket will likely draw more, meaning that speed is now even more important. The one fascinated by the lights abandons them and wanders back towards where Azrin and Orrick are, joining the first in hopelessly trying to scale the wall. For all their danger these creatures are incredibly stupid. Orrick takes the opportunity to dress his arrow in liquid flame, and Edmund withdraws around the corner at the end of the street. Olivin follows soon after, still in the open, but at the intersection. His whip strike cracks a few centimeters from the basidirond, drawing its attention away from River, who gives it a quieter pummeling from the opposite direction and springs back using the rebound of his kick.

Following the crack of the whip, the basidirond charges after Olivin, who is nearly able to weave away at the last second but is thwarted by the momentum of his retreat. The tendril slams into his hip, leaving what will be a nasty bruise. With the creature now in view however the guards on the wall open fire. It's starting to look worn down by the heavy damage, and partially because of the cold-induced lethargy.

Their touch AC is pathetic so Azrin hits Basidirond1 for 11 damage.
Basidirond 1&3 fail to climb the wall.
Orrick loads his alchemical weapon.
Edmund and Olivin retreat, the latter missing.
River hits Basidirond2 twice for 13 damage total.
Olivin is attacked for 8 damage by Basidirond2.
The archers on the wall pincushion Basidirond2 for 7 damage between them.

The party is up once more.

H. Von Studley
2015-06-16, 10:50 PM
With the house finally cleared of enemies, and Olivin's basidirond firmly in hand, Ed sprints back towards the house. He vaults through the window, glaive in hand, and calls out again, the same message as before.

If Ed has enough movement he'll try the door on the right.

Archemist
2015-06-16, 11:18 PM
Azrin takes aim once more at the basidirond nearest the alley exit, and pulls the trigger. The loud magical music is dying down and he does worry the noise of the shot will attract attention... but there's not much to be done about that now, what with the music and yelling that's been going on.

"That's right, ye slimy plants! Over here!"

Move action to reload, as usual. And oh! Thanks for the reminder that gun attacks should be vs. Touch AC, at this close range. Yay for that!

brandnewb
2015-06-17, 07:10 AM
Olivin sneers when the creature hits him. He takes a step back to open the distance again between himself and the creature. Then he cracks the whip again attempting to hit it this time.

5 ft step (Olivin can't hit with this whip unless he is at least 10ft away.
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Olivin Instance (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=78018)

N Human Lore Warden Fighter 4

HP 43/51, Initiative +0, Speed 30, BAB 4.
AC 14, Touch 10, Flat-Footed 14, CMB +11, CMD 21
Fort+7, Ref+1, Will+2
+1 Whip +11 (1d3+8)
+1 Whip Trip/Disarm +16
15ft

Spells :

Abilities: STR 20, DEX 10, CON 16, INT 14, WIS 10, CHA 7

Special Abilities:

Aeryk
2015-06-17, 07:54 AM
With some distance now between himself and the basidirond, River draws a shuriken with each hand from the pouch at his belt and whips them at the creature in quick succession and steps 5 feet closer to the window.

Flurry of Shuriken!
Damage 1:[roll1]
Damage 2:[roll3]
Edit: Well, that was pitiful...

Indori
2015-06-20, 03:34 PM
Ugh, I hate to have you guys waiting on me.

Orrick affirmed Azrin, saying, "Ah, there's a fine shot, Mr. Bluestone. Let us see how they react to fire..." Drawing the arrow back in his bow, he aimed once more down the exterior wall of the building at the basilirond that Azrin had so far ignored. Exhaling slowly, as the broadhead at the end of the shaft had begun to smoke, he released it. A burst of flame spat up around the impact spot with a whoosh.

Bow attack: [roll0]
Arrow damage: [roll1]
Fire damage: [roll2]
Orrick Drummond (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=790225)
Male LN Human Alchemist, Level 4, Init +3, HP 26/32, Speed 30 ft
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 17, Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +2, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 3, Action Points 1
Longbow, composite +6 (1d8+1, x3)
Bomb (8/8) +7 (2d6+4, x2)
Sickle +4 (1d6+1, x2)
Masterwork Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 13, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 8
Condition Scarred Throat (-1 Con drain, difficulty speaking)
Extracts L1: 1/4, L2: 0/2

RandomWombat
2015-06-21, 12:49 PM
I wasn't around most of the weekend anyways.

Azrin fires again, the gunshot ringing out throughout the city streets. Orrick's arrow flies past the flailing plants below, bursting against the ground like a small firework. Where Olivin is fighting his basidirond he hears one of the men on the wall call out, "Look out! Another one coming up the way." A glance down the street alongside the keep wall spots a basidirond wandering out of another street a few blocks away. It's not moving with much intent yet, but is likely drawn to the noise. Some shuriken fall short between he and River, and the basidirond writhes when the whip lashes across its body. Its body has shaken off the lethargy of River's cold-enchanted fist and the creature belches a cloud of spores into the air around it. Thankfully the archers are still aiming to help and

Edmund and River converge around the window. The door at the opposite end of the room cracks open and someone is peeking out.

Edmund double moved away last round, so a double move this round brings him back up to the window. River likewise reverses his previous movement, and his shurikens miss.
Azrin shoots Basidirond1 for 11 damage.
Orrick misses Basidirond3.
Olivin hits Basidirond2 for 8 damage.
Basidirond2 releases hallucinogens, and Olivin must roll a DC 16 Fortitude save. If he fails, he spends the round believing he's shrunken to 1/10th his normal size, missing 1 round as he tries to avoid detection from the giant basidirond.
The archers help Olivin, hitting Basidirond2 for 4 damage. It is nearly dead.

Aeryk
2015-06-21, 01:50 PM
River glances inside then says to the captain, "I'll cover the window sir," as he pulls two more shuriken to continue his attack.

Continuing to attack the same basidirond.
Damage 1:[roll1]
Damage 2:[roll3]

Edit: *facepalm* I think River must be throwing them sideways...

brandnewb
2015-06-21, 03:50 PM
Olivin coughs when the creature releases the spores, but quickly holds his breath. He takes a few steps back again putting himself 15ft from the enemy. Once he puts some room between himself and the creature he cracks the whip again intending to bring it down.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Olivin is caught completely off center by the spores, while he is able to stave off the worst of then effects he is unable to connect his attack.

H. Von Studley
2015-06-22, 02:08 AM
Ed waves at the door, calling out urgently in Ulslandic. "Come with me, quickly! We have to go, right now!"

Actions to come depending on what happens next.

RandomWombat
2015-06-22, 12:40 PM
Since Olivin is holding his breath, rolling [roll0] now to see how long before the hallucinogen in his system wears off.
He can hold his breath for 32 rounds, each round taking a standard or full action counts as 2 rounds. So he can hold his breath for 30 more rounds, plenty of time for the spores to wear off if he gets lucky with the dice.

A woman steps out of the door and hurries over to the window. She has red hair, dim green eyes, and a heavy grey and blue winter coat over a simple black dress. A gold amulet set with a sapphire hangs around her neck, and she has several gold and silver rings on her fingers. The woman climbs out of the window quickly and looks to be carrying a hefty book under one arm, with dark blue bindings and gold around the edges. "It's about time they sent someone, I've been trapped in here for an age."

Edmund may take the rest of his action now.

H. Von Studley
2015-06-22, 05:04 PM
Ed stares blankly for a moment, taken aback at the woman's seeming lack of concern. Then, regaining his composure, he puts a hand under her arm and begins hurriedly marching her back towards the street with the rope.

"Move fast and stay behind me, there's a rope up to the rooftops in the next street over." Glancing at the woman as they move his face momentarily registers surprise. Strange to be leaving behind all her possessions but a book. It couldn't be a spellbook, could it? He'd had enough brushes with wizards in the military to know they could make powerful allies, or very dangerous enemies, and they prized their spellbooks above all else.

He pushes the thought aside for the moment and looks back at the group. Silently thanking Azrin again for the Message spell, he points towards River and Olivin and whispers to them.

"River! Olivin! Time to go! Get to the rope!"

I hope photo albums aren't a thing yet, or Ed is going to feel like a bit of an idiot. :smalltongue:

Ed will double move back towards the building they climbed down from, putting himself between the woman and any basidironds they come across.

EDIT: And to clarify, he'll stop his move short if the woman runs out of available movement.

Edmund Grimace (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=789267)

Chaotic Good Human Fighter/Cleric (ECL 3)

HP 26/39, Initiative +4, Speed 25, BAB 3.
AC 16 (18 with shield), Touch 11, Flat-Footed 14 (16), CMB +7, CMD 18
Fort+7, Ref+3, Will+5
Masterwork Glaive +8 (1d10+6)
Throwing Axe +7 (Melee) +5 (Thrown) (1d6+4)
+1 Orcsbane Warhammer +8(+10) (1d8+7(+2d6+2))
Shortbow +5 (1d6)
Chain Shirt +4 (Light)

Effects: Defending Bone (DR5/Bludgeoning, 20/20, 4 hours)

Spells (CL4): (L1) 2/3, (L2) 1/2
(D1) 1/1, (D2) 0/1

Abilities: STR 18, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 15, CHA 10

Special Abilities: Channel Energy 3/3, Ferocious Strike 4/5.

Archemist
2015-06-23, 12:11 AM
Azrin fires again, this time at the thing that had been menacing his crewmates.

Edited to add: With the Northeastern Fog's somewhat typical luck, though, the lead just pings the cobbles down below.

Since Bas#2 is in view and surprisingly not "in melee"... let's see if Azrin can either hook it like the others or help take it down.

Attack: [roll0] vs. touch AC, but it sounded from RW's description like it was out of my 30' point blank range. The musket has out to 40' before it gets range penalties, though.

Azrin Bluestone (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=5153)
M Chaotic Good Gnome Gunslinger 1, Witch 3, Level 4, Init +3, HP 32/33, Speed 20
AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15 (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Size, +2 Natural)
CMD 14, Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +7, CMB +0, Base Attack Bonus 2
Grapple Launcher Experimental Musket (mstwk) (24 cartridges) +6, 7 @PB (1d10, x4)
Light Hammer +2, thrown +5, or 6 @PB (1d3-1, x2)
Dragon Pistol (5 cartridges) +6 (1d4, x4)
Abilities Str 9, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 17, Wis 16, Cha 11
Condition Not too bad. Thankful for rooftops to hide out on.

RandomWombat
2015-06-29, 09:36 PM
Another pair of shuriken skitters along the stone road, Olivin backing away from the basidirond and the two beyond it, which are still a ways down the street. The crack of a whip missing its target almost makes Olivin let out his held breath, but he catches himself and tries not to inhale the spores. Another crack of gunpowder, another plink of bullet against pavement, and the thunk of an arrows digging into plantflesh. Edmund leads the woman towards the rope, holding his breath (I assume) as he enters the cloud of spores. Obviously recognizing them as unsafe, the woman does the same, keeping pace with him easily. The basidirond near Olivin collapses under the weight of its wounds, squirming on the ground in a futile attempt to move, then simply slumping.

River misses.
Olivin misses.
Azrin misses. I'm seeing a pattern here.
Orrick hits when I roll for him, as usual, dealing 8 damage to Basidirond1.

The guards on the wall pepper Basidirond2 with arrows, dealing 9 damage and rendering it Dying.

Basidirond1 and 3 fail to climb the wall.
Basidirond2 bleeds plantjuice.
Basidirond4 and 5 will arrive next round.

Olivin must roll Fortitude again. 3 more successes, including this one, before the hallucinogen is out of his system.

Archemist
2015-06-29, 09:51 PM
Azrin calls, "Get back up here! Time to be moving again! We'll cover you!"

And a little more quietly, mainly to himself and Orrick, "A civilian! And a woman, no less! Glad this little commotion was not for nothing."

I'll take an actual action after I see what the others are doing... I'm glad the distraction has kept the other two basidironds from charging in.

a) Does Azrin think the two new ones are close enough to be worth shooting at?
b) There aren't any basidirond between the party on the ground and the rope, right? (The new ones are coming from the other direction?)

RandomWombat
2015-06-29, 11:08 PM
a) Nah, they're still pretty far.
b) The way to the rope is clear, sans the spores, which may prove a problem if Olivin fails his saves. Edmund, River, and the woman can hold their breath while passing through.

H. Von Studley
2015-06-30, 10:34 PM
Ed glances back over his shoulder as he runs through the spores, taking note of the dying basidirond and Olivin's condition. He moves for the rope as fast as he can, pulling the woman along beside him.

Arriving at the rope, he shoves it into her hands. "Climb! Quickly!"

Then calling up to the guard, "Pull her up, now! And be ready for the rest of us!"

If Ed can't actually make it to the rope this turn, he'll just get as close as he can and get her up the rope ASAP.

brandnewb
2015-07-01, 06:40 AM
Olivin's Save [roll0]

brandnewb
2015-07-01, 06:46 AM
Olivin fights off the effects of the spores for another round. He moves out of the cloud and toward the rope being used to allow the crew back onto the roof.

With a deep exhale he tries to empty any spores that may be remaining in his lungs. Then safely by the ladder and not in the cloud of spores he starts hacking away trying to clear his lungs.

I will do a move action of 30ft toward the rope. Then Take a standard action of Olivin coughing to try and clear his lungs of that crap.

RandomWombat
2015-07-01, 01:28 PM
I'll let you make another Fortitude save for doing that, to lower the duration by 1 round.

Archemist
2015-07-01, 01:35 PM
Azrin sees Olivin emerge coughing from the spore cloud and ending up the straggler in the group headed for the rope. Azrin then checks for the closest basidirond to Olivin (probably just the one at the alley entrance, still), takes aim, and fires again.

He remarks to Orrick,"I suppose we should make our way back to the rope soon, too, before we attract too much more attention. I need to invent some kind of quiet gun as my next project."

Edited to add: Scratch that last bit. The gun misfires, Azrin says, ""Forget that, I need to invent a gun that works, period." Rather than beginning to clear it, he starts heading back towards the rooftop with the rope.

And he'll use his move action to head back 20'.

M Chaotic Good Gnome Gunslinger 1, Witch 3, Level 4, Init +3, HP 32/33, Speed 20
Grapple Launcher Experimental Musket (mstwk) (23 cartridges) +6, 7 @PB (1d10, x4)
Dragon Pistol (5 cartridges) +6 (1d4, x4)
Condition Not too bad. Thankful for rooftops to hide out on.

Aeryk
2015-07-01, 07:27 PM
Seeing that things are more or less wrapped up for the time being, River bolts for the rope.

brandnewb
2015-07-01, 08:44 PM
Olivin's Fort save to reduce duration by a round. [roll0] I should also point out that if one of those things comes near him he will immediately hold his breath.

RandomWombat
2015-07-02, 02:15 PM
Looking at her book, the woman just tucks it under her chin and grips the rope, clinging to it and climbing up. Once she's close enough the soldier helps pull her to safety on the rooftop, where she takes a seat off to the side and opens up her book. Beside her, Azrin's gun makes a helpless clicking noise as it jams. Further along the rooftops Orrick is still keeping the basidirond below occupied. With the sound of arrows hitting pavement.

Below, Olivin doesn't manage to hack up enough of the spores to make a difference, but he's still fighting off the effects for now at least. River arrives at the base of the rope where Edmund and Olivin await. The two new basidirond are nearing them now, and the soldiers on the wall open fire without waiting for the engagement to happen first.

Azrin and Orrick both roll natural 1s.
The woman makes an accelerated climb, making it 15 feet up the rope, and the soldier pulls her up the rest of the way. She takes a double move to make room at the top of the rope, sitting down near Azrin.
The soldiers on the wall deal 2 damage to the new Basidirond4, and 10 damage to Basidirond5.
Basidirond2 oozes plant juice.
Basidirond1&3 fail to climb a wall.

The new Basidirond are 30 feet away from the rope.

brandnewb
2015-07-02, 07:41 PM
Will roll this before I post Olivins actions. [roll0]

brandnewb
2015-07-02, 07:52 PM
Olivin will ready an attack on Bas5 for when it comes within 15ft. And hold his breath when it comes near.

Aeryk
2015-07-02, 09:22 PM
River climbs the rope.

[roll0]

Archemist
2015-07-07, 05:32 PM
Azrin makes a little "S" shape in the air next to Orrick, and gives a short blessing.

Get it? Short? short, eh! :smalltongue:
Azrin is casting Guidance on Orrick for a +1 sometime in the next minute.

RandomWombat
2015-07-08, 01:42 AM
Choosing to stay where the other two basidirond are and keep them from wandering towards the rope area, Orrick uses Azrin's blessing to pelt them with another arrow. Sadly the blessing is not enough to ward off a spree of bad luck.

Edmund tries as hard as he can to climb the rope, but his bum leg keeps slipping as he tries to brace it against the wall, and he falls to his feet only a few feet down. Olivin sees the foes approaching and readies his whip to strike as they come. One of them breaks off to move towards the direction of the arrows, flailing uselessly against the keep wall. The one less injured one gets close enough to be drawn to the tremors of Edmund's falls and charges him. Olivin cracks his whip expertly against the inside of its blooming mouth, breaking a few teeth and leaving a gash from the force.

The woman on the roof takes out a pinch of something from her coat pocket and mutters something over it, causing it to glow. Then she dumps it unceremoniously off of the roof, where it lands on the basidirond attacking Edmund and ignites with a crackling spark. The flames die out, leaving a visible scorch mark across the upper right side of its body. Its gurgling and the ignition again draw the attention of the other one, still some distance away prodding at the keep wall.

Orrick has no luck, despite Azrin's intervention, rolling another critfail at aiming.
Olivin cracks Basidirond4 for a critical hit as it charges, dealing 17 damage.
Edmund is unable to make an AoO, because his glaive is presumably not readied after his climbing attempts.

The hallucinogenic spore cloud settles and fades.

Basidirond4 snaps at Edmund for 15 damage, and he must make a DC 16 Fortitude save or suffer [roll0] Con damage and be afflicted with the spores for 5 more rounds (or until he cures with a save).
Basidirond5 is distracted by the archers for the moment. The archers hit it for a tiny 4 damage.
Basidirond1&2 contest with the wall to reach Orrick and Azrin, but again fail their impossible task.

Woman casts a spell on Basidirond4, causing it to combust for 6 damage.

Aeryk
2015-07-08, 11:45 AM
River turns to look back down the wall he's just scaled and sees the Captain having a tough time with the rope when the basidirond moves in to attack him. Making a snap decision, River draws a deep breath to keep from inhaling the spores, and quickly jumps down to deliver a gravity aided kick from above, tumbling to the opposite side from Ed.

River descends from the heavens to deliver a crushing blow!!!

Acrobatics to reduce damage: [roll2]

Not quite as good as I'd hoped...

RandomWombat
2015-07-08, 11:09 PM
Because falling objects target Touch AC, River hits for 13 damage and is now on the opposite side of the creature from Edmund. Other allies such as Olivin also gain Flanking bonuses, as per the rule Aeryk implements in his own game, which I like. Flanking will only apply once Edmund draws a weapon however.

River didn't need an Acrobatics check to avoid damage, but I was considering a check to avoid being Flat-Footed. We'll say that was the check he just made and he passed easily.

Archemist
2015-07-08, 11:26 PM
Azrin is hesitant to reload and fire his musket just now, since he doesn't see a quick way to fix it at the moment. Plus, the situation on the ground just got a lot more chaotic, as River jump-kicks down gracefully onto the basidirond's head. Azrin stands for a second, looking down at the street, mouth agape--"I didn't think that was something real people did," he says, mostly to himself. "People not in fables, at least." He doesn't sound like he's complaining.

Shaking his head clear, if not his gun, he spends a moment looking around, trying to find some way to help those below. He decides that poor Orrick is most in need of an extra blessing... that last one didn't seem to have worked.

His musket is still Broken, and the pistol only fires a 15' cone... same with Burning Hands. Azrin instead slings the musket behind him and casts Guidance again on Orrick. Also, I hope Indori comes back! The forum dice-roller promises to be nicer, it swears. :smalltongue:

H. Von Studley
2015-07-09, 04:03 AM
Ed grunts in pain as he slides down the rope, pain shooting up his leg. The basidirond comes out of nowhere and crashes against his back, slamming him into the wall and reopening his wound from the orc's falchion earlier that day. He shakes his head groggily as the pain and blood loss threaten to send him spiraling into unconsciousness.

Suddenly River appears from above, landing a hard kick on the plant monster and distracting it for the moment. Grateful for the assistance, Ed grabs the rope, kicks away the basidirond, and tries once again to haul himself up to the safety of the rooftops.

Thanks Aeryk! I reeeeeeally wanted to try and wail on this thing, but my better judgement has prevailed. I (and Ed) feel awful running off and leaving you exposed, but Ed only has 11HP left. One more good hit and we'll be in an even worse situation. Last thing we need is to have to haul his unconscious body up the wall when those other basidironds spot the easy prey.

Climb: [roll0]
Spellcraft to identify: [roll1]

HP 11/39, Initiative +4, Speed 25, BAB 3.
AC 16 (18 with shield), Touch 11, Flat-Footed 14 (16), CMB +7, CMD 18
Fort+7, Ref+3, Will+5
Shortbow +5 (1d6)
Chain Shirt +4 (Light)

(D1) 1/1, (D2) 0/1

Special Abilities: Channel Energy 3/3, Ferocious Strike 4/5.

brandnewb
2015-07-09, 08:54 AM
Olivin continues to hold his breath and goes on fighting the creature. He will take a 5 foot step back if required. With a grimace he cracks the whip again at the Bastirond that he and River have already hit. Attempting to kill it.

[roll0] (flanking included)
[roll1] (I forget if I get a +1 for flanking on damage. I did not include it.)

RandomWombat
2015-07-09, 09:58 PM
Orrick decides that helping the others get up quickly is more important than keeping the two basidirond occupied and moves across the rooftops, rejoining the others. He fires an arrow at the one fighting River and Olivin, which somehow catches some of the powder still floating in the air and spontaneously combusts, disintegrating to ash and sprinkling down on the plant thing's head. How such a level of bad luck can be achieved is beyond mortal comprehension. Turning to face the fallen monk, the basidirond furiously lashes him with one of its tendrils, catching him between the legs and sending him to the ground in pure pain and shock. The second creature rushes towards Olivin, striking him hard in the shin.

Frowning, the woman takes out more of the powder and, standing this time, flings it down at the basidirond standing over River, which erupts in flame and crumples in a charred heap.

River deals 13 damage to Basidirond4.
Olivin deals 9 damage to Basidirond4.
RandomWombat rolls a 1 for Orrick, decides to roll again because this is ridiculous and rolls another 1, then slides a new set of dice over to Orrick, because his are clearly cursed.
Edmund successfully climbs a rope.

Basidirond4 critically hits River for 26 damage (I believe this drops him to -8). River is currently in grave danger.
Basidirond5 charges Olivin for 12 damage.
Basidirond1&3 confusedly scrabble at the wall trying to follow Orrick, but again cannot climb it. Then with their prey gone they begin to wander.

The archers on the wall hit Basidirond4 for 13 damage.
The woman casts her spell again, which Azrin fails to identify. It deals 9 fire damage to Basidirond4 and renders it bleeding out and on fire.

Archemist
2015-07-09, 10:37 PM
Azrin steps over to the rope. He nods to the woman, with a quick, "Keep up the good work, madam!"

He slides down the rope to the street, half falling.

Edited to Add: All falling, really. Azrin winds up prone on the ground, winded but focused on getting to River. He pulls out the curing potion to give to him. He calls to Olivin, somewhat quietly, "Keep this one busy! I'll see to River! Don't attract the other two!"

If this is all a bit much to do in one turn, let me know. Mechanics-wise, say I Jump Down with an Acrobatics check: [roll0] I think if I make DC15 I can just take 1d6 nonlethal and finish my turn normally. Edited to Add: SOOO SOOO PREDICTABLE. My last rolls have been: 2, 1, 6, 4 (and the 6 was on the still-not-good-enough Spellcraft check). I guess I can't complain, if Orrick has had 4x 1's in a row. Azrin will take 2d6 lethal damage, I guess.

If I can pull out the CLW as part of my movement once on the ground, even better. If I can use the Standard Action to give it to River... well, we'll see how I roll. :smalltongue:

RandomWombat
2015-07-10, 02:44 AM
Falling damage: [roll0]
He still as a second move or standard action, so he can either stand or draw the potion.

Aeryk
2015-07-10, 09:04 AM
After delivering the kick from above, River turned to face his foe, but didn't even see the strike that brought him down. White pain flooded his eyes, nearly enough to make him vomit, and then he was out.

Actually I think it should be at -7 hp b/c River was at 19 (if my sheet is correct). Making a DC 17 Con check to stabilize.
[roll0]

Edit: and that brings me to -8...

River (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=969183)

Lawful Neutral Human Monk (ECL 4)

HP -8/36, Initiative +5, Speed 40, BAB +3.
AC 18, Touch 18, Flat-Footed 14, CMB +8, CMD 26
Fort+6, Ref+8, Will+7

Unarmed Strike +7 (1d8+3)
Flurry of Blows +6/+6 (1d8+3)

Effects: Unconscious, Dying

Abilities: STR 16, DEX 16, CON 15, INT 17, WIS 16, CHA 7

Special Abilities:
Elemental Fist (+1d6) 3/4.
Ki Pool 5/6

H. Von Studley
2015-07-12, 10:23 PM
Ed finally hauls himself up onto the roof just in time to see the basidirond bring down River. He opens his mouth to call out to the monk, but before he can formulate the words Azrin leaps past him bravely, heedless of the danger below. With the group clearly in trouble he stands and holds out his arm. The symbol of Gorum tattooed there flashes briefly as he channels positive energy through their wounds, hoping to stabilise River.

As he does so he calls out to the group below. "Grab River and get to the rope!" then turning to the guard, the woman and Orrick, "Everybody pull them up! Now!"

Channel Energy, everyone (including baddies) within 30' healed for [roll0] hit points and 1 point of CON damage if necessary.

I'm not sure if that's too many actions RW, I didn't really know what grabbing/pulling the rope would be.

HP 16/39, Initiative +4, Speed 25, BAB 3.
AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-Footed 14, CMB +7, CMD 18
Fort+7, Ref+3, Will+5
Shortbow +5 (1d6)
Masterwork Banded Mail +7 (Heavy)

(D1) 1/1, (D2) 0/1

Special Abilities: Channel Energy 1/3, Ferocious Strike 4/5.

RandomWombat
2015-07-13, 08:26 AM
Pulling up the rope would be a standard action, and the guard and the woman wouldn't be able to pull up all three of them. Ed's channel would also bring the dying Basidirond back to 1 hit point. It would be dying again next turn due to being on fire, but would threaten River's space (at a -4 prone penalty) and make the task of moving him more dangerous.

Archemist
2015-07-13, 10:47 PM
Azrin hits bottom just in time to hear Ed shout about grabbing the rope.

Edited to Add: The basidirond looming behind Olivin seems more pressing, though. So Azrin holds his hands together out in front of him (still while lying on the ground) and lets out a somewhat comical "Whooosh!" A jet of fire passes just behind the now-encumbered Olivin and envelops the plant creature...

Rolling in OOC thread so as to not clutter this one too much.

brandnewb
2015-07-14, 05:59 PM
Olivin looks at the collapsed figure of River and grunts, he moves over beside the monk and hoists the figure over his shoulder. He says to the small figure of the Gnome, "For small size, brave large." His broken common evident he continues, "Careful, not able carry two."

On his subsequent action Olivin will move over to the rope and grab a hold.

RandomWombat
2015-07-14, 10:37 PM
Olivin rushes past his own basidirond attacker, which lashes at him with its appendages. Another hard strike to the back of his leg, but he catches himself and arrives at River, heaving the half-dead man over his shoulder. Before the creature can charge after him it receives a truly impressive blast of flame from Azrin, and an arrow from pierces its side from above. Hissing, the plant creature instead tackles the gnome. Another volley of arrows sails down from the wall, striking vitals inside the creature and causing it to collapse.

With the threats suppressed, the party is able to haul up Azrin, Olivin, and the bloody battered River.

"Damn," curses their guard guide in Ulselandic. "That was close."

"Glad somebody finally had the initiative to get out there and pull people out before they starve out," the woman chastises him and looks down at River. "Will he live?"

"He's still breathing, barely. I've seen a blow like that kill a man outright... he's either lucky or a right tough bastard."

Olivin takes 13 damage from an AoO as he escapes the basidirond. He grabs River.
Azrin deals 16 damage to the basidirond.
Orrick deals 6 damage to the basidirond.

Basidirond5 charges Azrin for 10 damage.

The archers deal 20 damage including a critical hit and leave the basidirond unconscious and dying.

River can roll two more times to stabilize for these two rounds. He is safely transported to the rooftop either way, thanks to the combined lifting power of everyone up top.

Archemist
2015-07-14, 10:59 PM
Azrin lets out a scream as the basidirond whacks him. Very undignified and high-pitched. While being pulled up, he is visibly in shock and eager to get to safety. He's breathing fast and saying, amidst some Gnomish... curses (for those of you who speak it?), "Ow ow ow let's get out of here - let's just hop right back in the sub and never look back at this island! First metal things and now plants! Next time I am staying in my comfortable bed at my comfortable house! Thank you, kind archers, for slaying that monster! Though you could have been perhaps two mites faster on the draw!" (This last, aimed slightly at Orrick.)

Pausing for a second, the pain overcomes him again. "Ow ow ow I think it may be broken or something!" Azrin's arms did take a mighty blow where the basidirond's tendril smashed down on them, especially the left. He is making a bit of a scene about it, in somewhat poor taste, especially given River and Ed right here too, in very bad shape.

Does River need the CLW? Azrin would be happy to administer it now. Alternately, if Ed wants to channel, we should just move so that we don't accidentally wake up any basidironds. Either way, Azrin could also use some healing, and may take the CLW himself so as to not have a penalty from the "Sheltered" trait.

I don't think his arm is actually broken; should be fine with just normal/magical healing - I'm just playing up his wounded state. :smallwink:

H. Von Studley
2015-07-15, 03:16 AM
Ed grunts as he pulls the trio the last few feet and over the lip of the rooftop. As soon as River is up he picks him up gently, moves him away from the edge and sets him down. Ed kneels over the wounded warrior and his tattooed holy symbol flashes as he channels positive energy through the party's wounds. Not satisfied with their condition after one attempt he takes a breath and does so again.

With that done, he lets himself drop back into a sitting position, exhausted from the strain of their narrow escape.

Eventually, and after a quick glance at Azrin's arm to make sure the gnome wasn't too badly wounded, he stands and turns to the group. "Is everyone in one piece? We need to get to the gate. I don't know what good we'll be in this condition, but we have to make sure that Mossgandra got the message to them." Looking to the woman, he speaks in rough Ulselandic. "Are you alright? We have to keep going now, so we can't escort you to the wall. It's not far if you want to go yourself, although if you have any energy left we could use all the help we can get."

Moving River out of range of the basidirond heals, and then Channeling Energy twice. Any chance I can keep that retconned roll from before RW? :smalltongue: I think we could use all the luck we can get right now.

Channel Energy 2 (or 1, depending): [roll0]HP and another point of CON for everyone.

EDIT: ...yep... definitely in need of some luck.

RandomWombat
2015-07-15, 08:44 AM
Yes, so that's a total of 7 healing for everyone.

After stopping to help haul up the others (not that she lends much strength) the woman they rescued returns to a sitting position on the rooftop. She brushes the hair out of her face only for the night wind to blow it right back in her way. With a huff she turns to face into the wind instead. The guard with them waits nearby for them to tend to their wounds, keeping an eye out for trouble.

"Well, that depends mostly on what you're doing and whether I can be of any help," speaking without looking up, the woman wipes the sweat from her face from helping with the rope, enjoying the cool wind on her face after being stuck indoors for so long. "My name, by the way, is Sarah. What should I call my rescuers?"

Archemist
2015-07-15, 10:17 AM
"Well, that depends mostly on what you're doing and whether I can be of any help," speaking without looking up, the woman wipes the sweat from her face from helping with the rope, enjoying the cool wind on her face after being stuck indoors for so long. "My name, by the way, is Sarah. What should I call my rescuers?"

Azrin calms a bit after the captain's healing magic. Not wanting to beat Ed to the introductions, he initially chimes in, "I saw your fire-spell, so you definitely can help if you can do that again. I don't think I have any more left in me after the day we've had."

(And later) "Oh, and I'm Azrin. I'm not sure who rescued whom, so we're 'even' in my book. Glad we came by at the right time."

RandomWombat
2015-07-16, 12:31 AM
The woman taps the spine of her spellbook wistfully with her fingers, "Only one more of those I'm afraid. I have a few other tricks of course - what sort of wizard would I be if I didn't?" She smiles and adds, "A few simple spells for hampering pursuit in case I needed to escape on my own, and some divination spells. Never a bad thing to have when you're cut off from the outside world. Keeps you in the loop."

H. Von Studley
2015-07-16, 03:03 AM
Ed ignores her for the moment as he examines River's wounds and the effects of his channeling. Despite the energy, he still remained unconscious. The basidirond had hurt him even more than Ed had feared. He holds his hand over the worst and a faint white light pulses for a moment. Finally he stands as the monk begins to stir.

"Good. I'm Edmund Grimace, Captain of the Northeastern Fog. These are my crew: Azrin you know, then this is Orrick, Olivin, and that's River. We've been sent by our nation to aid Mirorhen against the orcs. They're launching an attack tonight, and someone is being sent inside the walls to open the gates. We have to warn the guard and stop them, or the city will fall tonight."

Converting a first level spell to a CLW for River.

Healed for [roll]1d8+4[\roll] damage.

brandnewb
2015-07-16, 06:39 AM
After Olivin sets River down he moves to the side of the group. Olivin begins to tend his own wounds as well as he can. When the Captain introduces himself he gives a wave then resumes his self-administered first aide.

Aeryk
2015-07-16, 07:50 AM
River stirs, then groans, still in significant pain. Once he opens his eyes he bolts up and looks around in a panic. Once he sees that he's surrounded by his allies he relaxes, but stays sitting on the ground for a minute to gather himself. ~I'm going to have to be more careful~ he thinks to himself as he sits by silently, listening to the conversation between Ed and the woman.

RandomWombat
2015-07-16, 01:06 PM
The woman looks thoughtful as she considers Edmund's warning, "Well, I'm not interested in being invaded, so I'll do what I can. My name is Sarah."

"Hey!" one of the archers at the wall calls across the plank to them, "One of the refugees here just keeled over! You have healers, right? I saw healing magic over there!"

This is the cue to send Orrick back to treat the patient, since Indori appears to have vanished. Should he come back Orrick can still reappear later.

H. Von Studley
2015-07-17, 01:50 AM
Haha, I'm glad you mentioned that, cause all I could think was "Nooo! I'm going to have to blow my last few spells to heal an NPC!" :smalltongue:

Seeing Orrick's concern written all over his face, Ed gives him a nod. "Go. They need you more than we do. Come find us later if you can. As for the rest of us, we need to keep moving. River, can you walk?"

RandomWombat
2015-07-17, 03:51 AM
Orrick carefully makes his way back across to the keep wall, the guard helping him over the last step and leading him down to the courtyard.

The other guard who'd joined the group to guide them across the 'bridges' offers River a hand up and Sarah takes a component pouch from inside her coat, rooting around inside it. "Good, I didn't forget anything. I'm ready when you are."

Aeryk
2015-07-17, 08:32 AM
River stands up shakily. "Yeah, I can walk, but I don't know how much fighting I'm going to be able to do. I'm feeling weak and in need of rest, but I can come along anyway."

brandnewb
2015-07-17, 10:27 AM
Olivin offers a shoulder to River. "I help, one day you help me." Olivin will follow the group across the rooftop bridges and toward the keep providing River whatever assistance he will accept.

HP 46/51, Initiative +0, Speed 30, BAB 4.
Fort+7, Ref+1, Will+2
+1 Whip +11 (1d3+8)
+1 Whip Trip/Disarm +16
15ft

Spells :

Special Abilities:

Archemist
2015-07-17, 12:50 PM
River stands up shakily. "Yeah, I can walk, but I don't know how much fighting I'm going to be able to do. I'm feeling weak and in need of rest, but I can come along anyway."

Azrin offers up his cure potion to River. "Right, you look like you could use this more than I, also. The good doctor gave it to me this morning, though it feels like an age has passed since then."

He looks at the musket again, dismayed. He secures it to his pack and draws the pistol instead. "Let's get a view from the walls, out over the sea - we'll decide on a flare colour then."

M Chaotic Good Gnome Gunslinger 1, Witch 3, Level 4, Init +3, HP 18/33, Speed 20
Grapple Launcher Experimental Musket (mstwk) (23 cartridges) +6, 7 @PB (1d10, x4) (Broken! -2)
Dragon Pistol (5 pellet, 5 salt, 2 red, 2 yellow, 2 green flares) +6 (1d4, x4)
Condition Almost shaken there for a bit, but calmer now.

H. Von Studley
2015-07-17, 07:25 PM
Ed gives River an approving nod. "Good. Make sure you stay back though. We're not losing anyone today."

Then turning to Azrin, "Good thinking. The wall at the gates should offer some view, and we'll be able to help defend them at the same time. At this stage I think we'll have to use the orange flare though. We won't have time to rejoin the Fog before dawn."

RandomWombat
2015-07-18, 12:58 AM
Any more preparations, or is the party ready to carry on?

Aeryk
2015-07-18, 10:23 AM
River accepts Olivin's help, then takes Azrin's potion and thanks them both. "Of course, Captain," he replies to Ed.

CLW potion: [roll0]

River is ready to carry on.

H. Von Studley
2015-07-18, 09:59 PM
Ed is ready to go.

RandomWombat
2015-07-20, 01:00 AM
Once River is well enough to walk on his own, the group carries on along the precarious makeshift bridge across the city. They are a doctor short, and a wizardess up, with the shape of the wall visible in the darkness ahead. Torches line the parapets, from which soldiers watch anxiously. The towers placed at intervals along the wall are also manned, and armed with ballistae. Above the main gate is a large cauldron used to dump burning oil or molten metal upon a besieging force - something Edmund would have learned about, but never seen. In the Empire there was no need for such things. The gate itself is heavy and made of thick wood, braced and supported with metal. A mechanism somewhere inside the towers must be used to open it.

Upon the wall and able to look out upon the vast plains, everyone sees only empty darkness. The orcs and strix are out there certainly... but neither of their races requires good light to see. No torches light their siege camps, no movement reveals their troops. They simply lie in wait in the darkness until the city eats itself from the inside out.

"The prince and captain must be talking with your elven friend in the tower to the left here, where they've been planning... not that there's been much to plan. We can't really hope to strike back with what we have left," informs their guide.

Archemist
2015-07-20, 01:40 AM
The gate itself is heavy and made of thick wood, braced and supported with metal. A mechanism somewhere inside the towers must be used to open it.

"The prince and captain must be talking with your elven friend in the tower to the left here, where they've been planning... not that there's been much to plan. We can't really hope to strike back with what we have left," informs their guide.

"Well, we may not need to hold them all back--I think they're planning on sending just a few flyers to try to get the gate open. If we can prevent that, they may be stymied for tonight. And they may soon have other worries, if our ships can break their blockade of your harbor. We just have to keep all these footsloggers out, if I'm reading the situation right. Then again, it's been a long day."

H. Von Studley
2015-07-20, 02:12 AM
"Well, we may not need to hold them all back--I think they're planning on sending just a few flyers to try to get the gate open. If we can prevent that, they may be stymied for tonight. And they may soon have other worries, if our ships can break their blockade of your harbor. We just have to keep all these footsloggers out, if I'm reading the situation right. Then again, it's been a long day."

Ed nods. "If we can hold back their leaders tonight, and break the blockade, we may have a chance. I can't believe there's much loyalty between the orcs: a decisive blow might scatter them. But for tonight, we need to hold these gates."

Ed moves cautiously forward towards the tower the guard indicated.

Aeryk
2015-07-20, 08:09 AM
River follows along quietly, not being much of a strategist, and more of a soul-searcher. The enemy would come, and he would fight them; that was that.

RandomWombat
2015-07-20, 01:13 PM
Within the tower they find a room at the wall's level in which four people have gathered around a wooden table with a map of the city and surrounding land laid out on it. To the left and right are doors likely leading to stairs used to navigate the tower and across from them is another door leading to the wall continuing beyond.

The first man is a man with blue eyes and platinum blond hair tied back in a short ponytail, with a short sword and shield at his side. He is clad in finely crafted scale mail with protective runes carved into some of its scales. He carries himself confidently and his head is adorned with a silver band.
The second man has shorter bright blond hair and brown eyes, dressed in the same uniform as the other guards and soldiers they've seen, but he also wears a leather cap with long patterns of purple on it. A trident is held battle-ready in his hand as he examines the map.
The third man (presumably, though their gender is unclear) wears a masterfully crafted beastplate, vambraces, greaves, a metal tasset, and a full helm in the shape of a grim grinning vaguely human face with a single horn jutting out of its forehead. They wear on one arm the same sort of gauntlet-axe as Mossgandra, and a large quiver at their back holds four javelins.
Lastly is Mossgandra, who looks up when the others enter, as everyone's attention is drawn to the newcomers. "These are the ones I spoke of, foreigners willing to aid us," she introduces them to the others.

"I am Noland Dolnyr, Prince of Mirorhen. This is one of the Praetorian Guard, here to keep watch over me. His name is Gustav," the man of noble bearing introduces himself, then the strange masked man, who remains silent and vigilant.

"And I am Samuel, captain of the city guard," the man with the trident announces, looking over the party. "You are a strange bunch... and is that you, Ms. Nolee?"

"It is, captain. Unlike your men they were able to pull me away from those vermin infesting the city," Sarah and Samuel glare at each other for a moment, then the prince waves his hand between them.

"Enough bickering. We need to get to the root of the problem, now," Prince Noland beckons his new allies to the table. "The mechanisms to open the gate are within this and the tower opposite it. We have the lower level of this tower secured, but some of the plant creatures got into the lower levels of the other during the initial assault and we had to barricade the door shut at this level. The gates can't be opened using only one of the two mechanisms, but if these infiltrators you warned us of get to the other it would make it far easier for an orcish battering ram to break through and finish the job."

H. Von Studley
2015-07-21, 02:50 AM
Ed stares approvingly at the Prince as he introduces himself and describes the defences. This seemed a man after his own heart. Far more concerned with the task at hand than the usual formalities of royalty. Ed strides across the room quickly, standing next to the assembled men and staring down at the map.

"Good. Captain Edmund Grimace, and these are my crew, Azrin, River and Olivin. You've already met Mossgandra, and our doctor Orrick is back at the palace treating your wounded."

Leaning across the table, he points at the two towers next to the gate on the map. "I dont think these orcs are going to be stopped by barricades. We've fought similar ones before, and they had the power to melt through shadow. It was like nothing I've ever seen. Seems likely to me that a door wont even slow them down.

"Can we disable the gate controls altogether?" He gestures towards Azrin, "My man here may be able to do it in such a way that leaves them repairable afterwards. If not, we're going to need to clear out the plants from the other tower and have men guarding the mechanism."

Archemist
2015-07-21, 10:44 AM
"Can we disable the gate controls altogether?" He gestures towards Azrin, "My man here may be able to do it in such a way that leaves them repairable afterwards. If not, we're going to need to clear out the plants from the other tower and have men guarding the mechanism."

"I'd probably have to see the mechanism... can we get inside the other tower from up at this level, then? Or do we have to go in the street again?" Azrin does not look happy about that prospect. "I suppose that'd also rule out my first idea, of just putting some big trees behind the gate to brace it. Ah well. I don't have any of my tools, either, just this hammer."

brandnewb
2015-07-21, 12:47 PM
Olivin comments, "These creatures are not the smartest. Would we be able to fight our way down from the higher levels of the tower? Can the accesses going higher be withdrawn? Or is there even a reason to clear it? The Orcs will have to deal with the creatures if they want to access that side. What if we simply place a couple people to watch and when we see fighting inside we gather the guards. We can fight whatever is left of the orcs after they kill the creatures."

H. Von Studley
2015-07-21, 07:21 PM
"I'd probably have to see the mechanism... can we get inside the other tower from up at this level, then? Or do we have to go in the street again?" Azrin does not look happy about that prospect. "I suppose that'd also rule out my first idea, of just putting some big trees behind the gate to brace it. Ah well. I don't have any of my tools, either, just this hammer."

"We may have to make do with what we've got. Even if in this instance disabling means smashing. Would there be a rope or chain that connects the mechanism to the gate, on the outside of the tower? If there were we could disable the gates without having to fight through the basidironds."

Olivin comments, "These creatures are not the smartest. Would we be able to fight our way down from the higher levels of the tower? Can the accesses going higher be withdrawn? Or is there even a reason to clear it? The Orcs will have to deal with the creatures if they want to access that side. What if we simply place a couple people to watch and when we see fighting inside we gather the guards. We can fight whatever is left of the orcs after they kill the creatures."

"If we have to fight, fighting our way down, or letting them out one at a time sounds like the best way to deal with them. But I am reluctant leaving the mechanism only defended by the plants. The orcs sent them in here in the first place. They may have some way to control the damned things. We can't take that chance."

RandomWombat
2015-07-22, 12:08 AM
[For ease of communication, we will be assuming translations happen where necessary.]

""I dont think these orcs are going to be stopped by barricades. We've fought similar ones before, and they had the power to melt through shadow. It was like nothing I've ever seen. Seems likely to me that a door wont even slow them down. Can we disable the gate controls altogether?"[/COLOR] He gestures towards Azrin, "My man here may be able to do it in such a way that leaves them repairable afterwards. If not, we're going to need to clear out the plants from the other tower and have men guarding the mechanism."

"We know of these 'special' orcs, yes. We had some of our bards examine them back before the war came to our doorstep, when it was just little skirmishes. Their bodies are covered in magical tattoos and war paints that hide them in the darkness."

"They can't pass through solid objects, and ironically the basidirond make great watchdogs to keep them from prowling the city. They can feel movement better than they can see it, I'm sure you've noticed."

"We may have to make do with what we've got. Even if in this instance disabling means smashing. Would there be a rope or chain that connects the mechanism to the gate, on the outside of the tower? If there were we could disable the gates without having to fight through the basidironds."

"Taking apart the wheels we used to turn the mechanisms would make them considerably harder to operate. Without the leverage it would take someone of great strength and manual dexterity to turn the spokes. And a good grip."

"If we have to fight, fighting our way down, or letting them out one at a time sounds like the best way to deal with them. But I am reluctant leaving the mechanism only defended by the plants. The orcs sent them in here in the first place. They may have some way to control the damned things. We can't take that chance."

"If they want this city intact, I'm sure they have a means of dealing with these things besides just burning the place to the ground. I like the idea of picking apart or breaking the mechanism - for now, to buy us time - and posting guards just in case."

"We just need long enough for our new allies to repel the orc blockade and evacuate the survivors, either to Ulseland or to the island. The city may be beyond rescue, but its people are not so long as we hold the wall."

H. Von Studley
2015-07-22, 03:30 AM
"Alright, well that settles it then. We'll need to take apart the mechanisms for both gates and then repel the orcs when they get here. That will mean clearing the basidironds out of the other tower. Do you have an idea of how many there are? We'll do what we can to help, but as I'm sure you can tell the day's fighting has taken it's toll."

Ed gestures to the motley looking group, particularly the blood spattered clothing of himself, Azrin and River.

"If you can grant us healing magic, we'll be able to do more."

RandomWombat
2015-07-22, 11:22 AM
"Only a few got in during the invasion, but even a few is enough to be a huge danger. I can see you've already learned that part," he looks to the exhausted and battered group. "I will have word sent to the keep to send some bards to tend to your wounds. For now, this tower is secure, and we can begin disassembling the mechanism here. That way, your friend there will better know what needs to be done next time." He looks curiously at Azrin, not sure what exactly he is.

Archemist
2015-07-22, 11:47 AM
"Only a few got in during the invasion, but even a few is enough to be a huge danger. I can see you've already learned that part," he looks to the exhausted and battered group. "I will have word sent to the keep to send some bards to tend to your wounds. For now, this tower is secure, and we can begin disassembling the mechanism here. That way, your friend there will better know what needs to be done next time." He looks curiously at Azrin, not sure what exactly he is.

"Small hands. Usually good with machines, though if it comes to 'smashing' my shipmates will likely be better at that. Show me how it works, at least." Azrin sighs somewhat tiredly. "We should do this quickly."

RandomWombat
2015-07-23, 12:57 AM
Guard Captain Samuel opens the door to the stairs, which lead down beneath them, circling the edge of the tower. It's a similar design to the keep tower, but with a smaller radius. As he does so, Sarah turns to leave, "My spells will be of no use to you for the moment. If these tattoos and paints are magic, they will light up like fireflies to a Detect Magic spell. I shall go outside and keep such a spell active. Should anything appear within range I will send word."

"In the event of an attack on the wall, even just from bored orcs, I should be there to direct the men. I will leave you in Captain Samuel's capable hands," giving a nod to Mossgandra and to Edmund, Prince Noland exits the tower with Sarah.

The chamber below is simple. A door, barred and barricaded with a table and some chairs, leads to the city streets. Two Mirorhen guardsmen are on watch here and salute Samuel as he leads the party down. In the center of the room is a large wooden wheel, a larger version of the one that operated the portcullis at the fort the Fog liberated. The wheel itself is wooden, but the spoke is metal and is attached to internal mechanisms within the floor and walls. A pair of tiny metal rods protrudes from the wall on the side that leads to the gate, with an open line in the wall suggesting they can move horizontally.

"The wheel in the opposite tower retracts and extends the bars that reinforce the gate, and this one operates the gate itself, though it won't move while the bars are in place. The indicators there are for the bars and gate to show whether each is open," he points to the rods, "Right now both are closed against assault. If we can remove the wheel - or break it off - it will be next to impossible to turn the spoke until we repair it. And it's not as though we were planning on opening our gates any time soon."

H. Von Studley
2015-07-23, 02:17 AM
"My thoughts exactly. Now if you'll excuse me a moment, I need to prepare for the next battle."

Ed steps back, making way for the work to begin. He finds a section of wall and leans against, it closing his eyes. The pain from his wounds begins to soothe as he offers a silent prayer to Gorum, filling his body with energy for whatever new challenges the night would bring.

While the wheel is being disassembled, Ed is going to take a break and prepare some spells into his empty slots.
L1: Divine Favour
L2: Bull's Strength

Archemist
2015-07-23, 10:16 AM
Azrin helps disassemble the wheel on this side. If it proves to be taking more than a half-hour or so, he'll call it off and see if Ed's mace does it faster. When it seems disabled, let's head over to the other tower.

Are the little rods levers? or just indicators? Smashing a wooden wheel shouldn't be too difficult, hopefully.

RandomWombat
2015-07-23, 11:12 AM
The rods are just indicators that move along with the mechanism. Even if someone had enough super strength to try and operate the mechanism with them, they're high on the wall, so there would be no leverage even if they could reach it.

The bolts holding the wooden wheel to the spoke would be simple enough to remove if Azrin had his equipment with him, probably about twenty minutes. He mentioned that he didn't bring it with him, however.
For breaking purposes, the wheel as the same stats as a Strong Wooden Door. Hardness 5 and 20 Hit Points.

Archemist
2015-07-23, 11:27 AM
Azrin fusses with the bolts a bit, but then just asks the others to try smashing it. "It's frustrating: I have just the tool, but it's back on the ship. I wasn't going to swim along with my whole tool kit. It weighs me down terribly. But between the three of you, I think you could make this pretty useless with just a couple strong blows. Mister River, you might even be able to do this bare-handed," he adds, with a laugh.

The tools easily bump Azrin into "encumbered" territory, especially with the Str penalty from dying. Same goes for his gunslinger kit, though I will probably just spend a Grit point to fix the musket tomorrow morning, rather than wait until we have a spare day back on the ship to spend Crafting. We'll see.

Aeryk
2015-07-23, 01:03 PM
Azrin fusses with the bolts a bit, but then just asks the others to try smashing it. "It's frustrating: I have just the tool, but it's back on the ship. I wasn't going to swim along with my whole tool kit. It weighs me down terribly. But between the three of you, I think you could make this pretty useless with just a couple strong blows. Mister River, you might even be able to do this bare-handed," he adds, with a laugh.

River doesn't wait around for anyone to see say anything else, just gives Azrin a shrug and wails on the thing repeatedly until it breaks. It serves to let out some of his frustration at having been bested by a glorified mushroom.

Just gonna throw 10 rolls at I think an AC of 1 if I'm correct. At a -2 damage to include hardness, so this is straight up damage.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
Edit: So of course I forgot to change the number after I literally just said that...
So that's 1,1,5,0,4,1,3,5,5,4 So he destroys it after 8 quick blows, which takes 24 seconds ;)

Edit 2: grammar

RandomWombat
2015-07-23, 01:50 PM
Proving Azrin right, River steps up and begins pounding on the wooden sections of the wheel, gradually spreading cracks across the surface. Finally he raises his fists and smashes down on it, cracking the wooden wheel right off of the bolts and causing it to fall to the floor, broken into two battered halves.

Samuel scratches the back of his head, at a loss for words. "That... works." He glances over to Edmund, to see if he's finished his meditation.

H. Von Studley
2015-07-23, 10:41 PM
The corners of Ed's mouth creep upwards as he tries to keep from grinning at River's surgical precision and Samuel's reaction. Once he's finished his meditations, he nods to the captain.

"Alright, let's go have a look at this other tower while we wait for the bards to get here. And perhaps you should set up a runner here to alert us in case the orcs somehow slip past Sarah."

RandomWombat
2015-07-24, 06:59 PM
"Aye, we'll be staying here to keep the watch," one of the two guards in the room shakes himself out of the stupor of watching River demolish the machine bare-handedly.

"Let's on to the next tower then," Samuel leads the way back up the stairs and out onto the wall. Sarah is looking down at the main street below them and the side streets leading along the walls, pacing the edge. Her eyes are slightly aglow with magic. The prince is among the other men at the wall and nods to their group as they pass. Entering the other tower they find it identical to the first.

"So do we have a plan to deal with these creatures? Three of them got inside before we managed to shut the door, and one of our men died holding them off. They may have spawned another, or perhaps they simply ate him, or cannibalized one another. I'm not sure how long these creatures can go without food."

http://s13.postimg.org/sjug7j8dy/towe2rmap.jpg

H. Von Studley
2015-07-25, 02:08 AM
Ed stares thoughtfully at the barricaded door, one hand absentmindedly scratching his chin. Plans raced through his mind. When he finally speaks, he paces around the room and the words pour quickly from his mouth

"Alright, I've got a few ideas.
"Plan number one: We open the door, entice the first one out, have someone ready to slam the door and secure it, then have the whole party attack at once. Repeat as necessary. It'll be dangerous, especially if we can't get the door secured quickly enough, but it could work.

"Plan number two: Using gunpowder, or alchemists fire or whatever else we can find lying around, we open a door quickly, throw it at the wooden wheel and then close the door. The wheel burns down and we leave the basidironds there for now. Safer than plan one, but dependent upon finding the right provisions.

"Plan number three: Someone heads down onto the street to the bottom door, opens it up, draws the monsters out onto the street and then runs away. Meanwhile, someone else comes through the top door into the now empty room and locks the bottom door. The man on the street gets pulled up to the ramparts with a rope or let in through the other tower's bottom door. Dangerous for the man on the street, but if he's quick enough, and the person up the top is quiet enough, it should get the creatures out of there.

"Or better yet, plan number four: same as plan three but the man on the street has the invisibility potion Orrick made and we lure them out with one of Azrin's illusions. Invisible man on the street sneaks back in while the basidironds are distracted and closes the door. Once they're outside we can kill them from the walls or leave them for the orcs to deal with. I like this idea the best. It's safest, it exploits their lack of intelligence, and it lets us keep the tower intact. Whoever is down there will need to keep their distance though, these things seem to be able to detect movement nearby."

Towards the end of the speech, it seems like he's half talking to himself. Catching himself, he turns back to the group.

"What do you all think? I'm open to suggestions."

Aeryk
2015-07-25, 01:41 PM
River listens intently, "I could probably do plan 3, sir. I'm the quickest of us. Those things could still sense me, even though I was silent as the grave, so I don't think the invisibility thing will work. If you think it's too risky though, then I would understand."

Archemist
2015-07-25, 02:57 PM
Ed stares thoughtfully at the barricaded door, one hand absentmindedly scratching his chin. Plans raced through his mind. When he finally speaks, he paces around the room and the words pour quickly from his mouth.
"Plan number two: Using gunpowder, or alchemists fire or whatever else we can find lying around, we open a door quickly, throw it at the wooden wheel and then close the door. The wheel burns down and we leave the basidironds there for now. Safer than plan one, but dependent upon finding the right provisions.

"Plan number three: Someone heads down onto the street to the bottom door, opens it up, draws the monsters out onto the street and then runs away. Meanwhile, someone else comes through the top door into the now empty room and locks the bottom door. The man on the street gets pulled up to the ramparts with a rope or let in through the other tower's bottom door. Dangerous for the man on the street, but if he's quick enough, and the person up the top is quiet enough, it should get the creatures out of there. ... Whoever is down there will need to keep their distance though, these things seem to be able to detect movement nearby."

Towards the end of the speech, it seems like he's half talking to himself. Catching himself, he turns back to the group.

"What do you all think? I'm open to suggestions."

"For my part, I've only got a small bit of magical oomph left. I think I could cast a spiderweb spell, which would help slow the basidironds, maybe, and it's also rather flammable. My vote is a combination of 2 and 3 - a distraction below, followed by someone sneaking in from this level and destroying the wheel. Clearing the tower would be a plus, but the main thing is to take out the mechanism. Fire might work, but I'm assuming that burning the tower down, even accidentally, would be bad.

"Alas, I'm not going to be as good a distraction as earlier--I'm not up to making the magical sound and lights again. So one of us will need to be bait, probably.

"Lastly, I do have some gunpowder. I'm not as good an alchemist as Mr. Drummond, but I might be able to rig up some fireworks out of the flares, and arm our bait with a couple of those."

RandomWombat
2015-07-26, 01:51 AM
"If you are not confident in your ability to face them directly, the third plan seems sound. We can have our men make some noise elsewhere to draw the wandering basidirond in the city away while you draw out the ones in the tower," Samuel explains, adding his own piece. "As for fire, I fear the wood may be too thick for a single flask of alchemist's fire. It tends to be a fast burn. I do not know what this powder of yours' is, though. Is it incendiary? And there's little danger of burning down the stone tower, rest assured."

H. Von Studley
2015-07-26, 03:30 AM
Ed nods at all the suggestions. "Okay. Good thinking everyone. I'm sorry that I have to ask you to put yourself in danger again River. If you're not feeling recovered enough I'll go out and distract the basidironds myself."

Using the map for emphasis, Ed outlines the plan.

"Alright. Samuel, you'll organise for your men to draw off the city badisironds so they don't interfere. You should also have some archers ready to provide covering fire for River if necessary.

"River will come out of the bottom door of tower A. He'll head for tower B (B for basidirond), get their attention, and lead them out to the square in front of the gate. Keep as much distance as you can, and keep yourself safe. Once they're out and a good distance away, head back for tower A, or if that's been cut off we'll have a rope waiting from atop the wall. If you're going in via tower A, make sure they've got enough time to close the door and rebarricade before the basidironds catch up.

"Azrin, you'll be on the wall. You can coordinate everyone with Message. If the basidironds get too close to River, you can slow them with your webs or distract them with the fireworks, whichever seems more appropriate. If River needs to get up via the rope, you coordinate a team of guards to pull him.

"Olivin, Mossgandra, a few guards and myself will wait at the top of tower B. When we get the go ahead from Azrin, we'll remove the barricade and get into the room. Olivin and Mossgandra will secure the door, with the help of the guards."

He pulls his warhammer from his belt, spinning it in his hand. The enchanted weapon felt chilled to the touch, as though sensing the presence of the armies of orcs outside the gates.

"I'll take care of the wheel. We'll go as soon as those bards arrive and patch us up a bit. Any questions?"

RandomWombat
2015-07-26, 08:53 AM
"None here. I will go prepare the men for our maneuver," Samuel exits the tower, leaving the group with who they came in with, minus Orrick.

"I'm ready," Mossgandra confirms.

It isn't much longer before the two military bards sent to aid them arrive. Seeing that Edmund, Azrin, and River are in rough shape, they begin applying their healing magic.

Here are some Cure Light Wounds spells to distribute among the party as you feel is needed. If they bomb the rolls, they have two more CLWs in reserve, which will tap them out of 1st level spells.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Aeryk
2015-07-26, 12:58 PM
River nods assent, then accepts what healing is offered (see OOC post) then prepares to follow the plan outlined by Ed.

Not sure what checks I'll need to make, if any, but River should find it relatively easy to kite the basidironds, staying just out of reach and baiting them out.

H. Von Studley
2015-07-27, 02:33 AM
Ed gives the healers a grateful nod. "Thank you. I know you must have friends that need treatment as well. We will not waste it. You should hang around, if you don't have other orders. We may have need of your healing magic again soon."

Ed is ready to go.

Archemist
2015-07-27, 10:44 AM
Azrin also thanks the bards, and gives a nod to the Captain. "Ready."

Once out on the parapet between the towers, Azrin basically readies an action to cast Web down in the street below if basidironds are getting too close to River or, alternately, if they start coming back before the Captain and Olivin have destroyed the wheel. Something to give them just a little more time.

RandomWombat
2015-07-27, 12:31 PM
"Oh, we'll be doing what we do best, dude," one of the bards replies, crossing his arms and giving a sagely nod.

"Rockin' out!" the other adds, playing a very intense riff on an imaginary air lute. His partner joins him by playing a set of air drums, and they exchange a high five.

"That is - they will be distracting the basidirond out in the city with music to draw them away. They're the best suited to making enough noise."

Aeryk
2015-07-27, 09:36 PM
River heads down, cracking his knuckles and psyching himself up to lure the basidironds out at the signal.

H. Von Studley
2015-07-27, 10:20 PM
Lol. I wasn't expecting that.

I want to follow up with these bards, but I don't want to hold things up, so I might post a two part response if you don't mind.

Ed stares for a moment, then offers a bemused smile to the pair. "Of course. Well, I appreciate it. I'm Captain Edmund Grimace. And who might you be?"

And after that conversation...

Ed stands at the door, muscles tensed. He nods to Olivin and Mossgandra and then sends a Message out to Azrin. "We're ready. Tell us when to go."

Archemist
2015-07-27, 10:26 PM
And after that conversation...

Ed stands at the door, muscles tensed. He nods to Olivin and Mossgandra and then sends a Message out to Azrin. "We're ready. Tell us when to go."

Azrin casts his messaging spell again, of course, making sure to catch the other three shipmates especially. He tries to find a spot on the wall from which he can see down into the courtyard behind the gate, where River will be leading out basidironds, and also be close to the doorway so he can see when the Captain (and Olivin and Mossgandra) storm the tower.

RandomWombat
2015-07-27, 11:08 PM
"I'm Nicholas, and this guy here is Jedediah," the first bard holds up his hand in a fist towards Edmund. "We make people not die!"

"Just call us Nick and Jed, man, it's easier to remember," the second mimics the gesture. They appear to be waiting for something.

Later...

River stands at the lower level of the clear tower with Samuel, Edmund and his entourage at the middle level of the threatened tower. Azrin watches from atop the wall between them, with Sarah and the prince nearby. Soldiers stand ready with rope to throw down in case River needs to climb up quickly. Nick and Jed have left over the makeshift bridges after conjuring a marching drum and lute out of nowhere.

In the distance, they begin making as much of a racket as they can, echoing through the quiet of the city night. In fact it sounds like they're intentionally being as discordant as possible to aggravate the basidirond. Or maybe they're just really bad at this. Who knows?

Azrin and those with him on the wall can see some basidirond below coming out of the woodworks. Crawling out of alleys, creeping out of the shadows, and wandering towards the unholy noise. With his quiet feet and swift legs River is unlikely to be detected as long as he doesn't get too close to any of them, which is simple enough.

H. Von Studley
2015-07-28, 01:49 AM
"I'm Nicholas, and this guy here is Jedediah," the first bard holds up his hand in a fist towards Edmund. "We make people not die!"

"Just call us Nick and Jed, man, it's easier to remember," the second mimics the gesture. They appear to be waiting for something.

Ed stares at Nick and Jed's outstretched fists for a long moment. Ulselandic was a strange, hard language, and the culture harder still.

But some things are universal.

He leans forward with both hands outstretched in fists of his own. He lightly, but firmly, taps his knuckles against those of the men in front of him. Then, quickly pulling his hands backwards and upwards, he unfurls his fingers and softly mimics the sound of an explosion. As the last whispers of the detonation fade into the quiet night, he slowly rains his fingers down again.

"Nice to meet you."

RandomWombat
2015-07-28, 01:26 PM
Joining in Edmund's explosion, Nick and Jed laugh good-naturedly. Nick lifts up his hands in a sign of horns, a gesture believed to ward off evil. "Totally excellent, dude!"

"Wanna go kick some butt and save the city?" Jed asks rhetorically - the answer is obviously a resounding yes - as he pounds one fist into the other.

brandnewb
2015-07-31, 06:49 AM
Olivin watches the exchange between his captain and the bards with interest. As the two depart Olivin looks at Ed and comments. "You are more 'groovey' then I thought, I had no idea what they wanted with their fists. I think when this is all over I know who we should go to the tavern with."

When the group prepares to go below to secure the door Olivin follows along. He keeps his whip in hand and ready.

HP 46/51, Initiative +0, Speed 30, BAB 4.
Fort+7, Ref+1, Will+2
+1 Whip +11 (1d3+8)
+1 Whip Trip/Disarm +16
15ft

Spells :

Special Abilities:

Aeryk
2015-07-31, 08:06 AM
River approaches the tower cautiously and opens the door, ready to sprint away at the first sign of a threat...

RandomWombat
2015-08-01, 06:34 PM
Weaving away from any stragglers wandering towards the noise, River glides down the street as though carried by the wind. Coming to rest at the door to the target tower, he pulls the door open. Inside he sees three basidirond around the room, slumped and with their tentacles drooping to the ground. The one nearest to the door twitches at the motion and stirs, twisting around until its forward-facing side looks at River. The creature has a very stunned look about it from being trapped inside without food, but it takes a few wobbly steps towards the door. The others behind it begin to stir as well when they notice the first one moving.

"I sense something!" Sarah calls out from near Azrin on the wall. "I can't pinpoint it yet, but I sense a magical aura entering the area down there! It could be them!" River can hear her easily, as can Edmund's group just inside.

H. Von Studley
2015-08-01, 06:56 PM
Ed scowls and Messages back. "How far? Does River have time to get the basidironds out?"

Archemist
2015-08-01, 09:02 PM
"I sense something!" Sarah calls out from near Azrin on the wall. "I can't pinpoint it yet, but I sense a magical aura entering the area down there! It could be them!" River can hear her easily, as can Edmund's group just inside.

Azrin activates his own magic-detecting spell. "Where?" he asks Sarah. "I don't need to pinpoint it, if I can maybe catch them in my magical webbing."

RandomWombat
2015-08-02, 02:10 AM
Sarah points Azrin towards near where River is below. Azrin can sense the monk's own magic items as well as two unknown auras somewhere within the same area. Then she Messages Edmund, "Two of them. They have to be near. If he moves quickly enough the basidirond might notice them as well."

H. Von Studley
2015-08-02, 06:40 AM
Ed Messages back his affirmation. "Understood. Make sure River knows."

Then he turns to the others and relays what's going on. "Movement outside, probably orcs. Plan still stands though, we just may have to hold the door against them and the basidironds. Take one alive if possible, but don't put yourselves at risk."