PDA

View Full Version : [PF] The Dragon Empire, IC II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

H. Von Studley
2016-02-22, 10:55 PM
Ed reels back, shaking his head to clear the sensation and squinting at the parchment to try to make out the images.

Ruh roh. That doesn't sound ideal. Can Ed tell anything else about the presence or its intentions? I suppose the fact that it's asking to be let in and not forcing its way into his head is slightly less scary, but still pretty worrying.

Sense Motive (if applicable): [roll0]

RandomWombat
2016-02-23, 01:50 AM
Edmund doesn't feel any sort of consciousness in the 'presence'. It feels like looking for a memory that's just out of reach.

H. Von Studley
2016-02-23, 02:27 AM
Recovering from his initial shock, Ed probes the feeling and finds nothing overtly malicious. He hesitantly reaches out with his thoughts, seeking to drag the memory to the front of his mind and lay it bare.

RandomWombat
2016-02-23, 10:24 AM
Reaching out to the memory, Edmund feels pressure in his lower chest, like something is building up. As he opens his mind, the shapes flow into it and arrange themselves into nonsensical patterns, but slowly begin to make sense. Edmund feels the urge to shout at the top of his lungs.

H. Von Studley
2016-02-23, 02:24 PM
Unable to contain himself, Ed leans back and roars out a battle cry, trying to understand the scroll's power.

Archemist
2016-02-23, 02:29 PM
Getting an inkling of what the Captain is attempting, Azrin says reassuringly, "Stay strong, Sir!"

Aeryk
2016-02-23, 04:00 PM
River stands close by, bristling with nervousness as the scroll takes its toll on the Captain. He stands ready to subdue the man if he should lose control of himself.

RandomWombat
2016-02-24, 12:47 AM
River feels the familiar sensation of ki infusing his limbs, released as the captain looses his battle cry. Everyone else near Edmund feels something unfamiliar as their limbs briefly tingle with energy. As soon as it came, the feeling passes. Where once shapes swirled upon the scroll is a blank page slowly disintegrating into dust.

"What just happened? Did it do something to him?" flapping one of her arms in annoyance to dismiss the tingling sensation, Sarah eyes the captain cautiously much as River does.

As though he'd always known how, Edmund can now summon up his ki in a shout that empowers his allies. Once per encounter he may use the Encouraging Roar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/disciplines-and-maneuvers/golden-lion-maneuvers/encouraging-roar) maneuver. Edmund knows that the memories of this technique are not his own, but he finds them quickly integrating with his own muscle memory.

Olivin's experience at the arena means he's encountered similar scrolls and abilities before. He recognizes it now. Some creative fighters learn to channel their body's energy, which they call 'ki', into various techniques. Some of them are able to imprint these techniques onto scrolls to pass on them on to others who might not yet have learned how to harness their ki.

There are other more mundane techniques used by arena fighters and martial artists, which they may choose to record in manuals that explain how they work.

River may have encountered something like this in the past, but he doesn't know much aside from the involvement of ki.

I discussed this a bit with HVS already, but I'm implementing some parts of the Path of War. Anyone who wants to take feats from that source can do so; for the purposes of martial techniques and feats, Knowledge (Local) replaces Knowledge (Martial). Base classes will not be available, but I'm willing to modify the Path of War prestige classes for those interested.

Levels in Fighter, Rogue, and Monk are counted as full initiator levels for any martial maneuvers and stances a character learns from scrolls and feats, and those initiator levels are added to those of any martial prestige classes they may take later. Levels in other classes/archetypes aside from full casters may be counted as partial initiator levels; I'll figure it out on a case by case basis.

H. Von Studley
2016-02-24, 01:50 AM
Ed falls forwards on his hands and knees, breathing heavily. He stays like that a moment, exploring the foreign memory and power in his mind. It felt alien, but at the same time strangely familiar. He slowly stands, a bit shaky on his feet.

"I- I'm alright. That scroll... I think it did something to me. I have these strange memories - a combat technique I never learnt."

He focuses a moment, and tries again. "GORUM!"

Immediately the tingling sensation runs through his limbs. He flexes his fingers, appreciating the new strength and focus, then a moment later it was gone.

"A scroll like that is a rare treasure indeed. Apologies River - I had not intended to use up its magic myself. We should keep searching, see if we can find others like it."

That's awesome. I really like Path of War, and a lot of those Golden Lion maneuvers suit Ed's character well. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new content fit in to our game.

RandomWombat
2016-02-24, 02:03 AM
As a note, I interpret Encouraging Roar and Alpha's Roar as affecting allies, but not the user. The Golden Lion seems to be based around strengthening teammates and helping them function as a squad. Other abilities do note that they include the user in their effect.

Aeryk
2016-02-24, 04:50 PM
Clearly shocked at what has just transpired, River looks at the Captain in wonder and says, "It's alright sir. It did it to me too. There is a certain energy I've learned to channel which my master taught me a lot about called 'ki'. It's kind of like a spiritual force that exists everywhere, and not many people learn to tap into it. It's how I am able to do some of the things I am able to do, and it's not magic... at least, not like your magic. I think you somehow managed to make it flow from you into us, which is incredible. I've never heard of that being done before! Perhaps some powerful master of old found a way of doing it, and this is his way of passing it on, I don't know. I'll be sure to ask Master Rai about it if I get a chance to see him again."

H. Von Studley
2016-02-24, 11:50 PM
Ed nods thoughtfully, taking it all in, then slowly replies. "I think you may be right. The technique wasn't mine, but... it felt like the energy was."

He places a hand on his diaphragm and breathes deeply. "My magic is a part of who I am, but it also feels as though it connects me to something outside, something greater. Every time I access its power, I'm scratching the surface of a force beyond imagining. It's like filling a bucket from the ocean. You could draw water all day, until your arms grew tired and heavy, but it makes no difference - there is always something vast, infinite and powerful just below the surface.

"This ki... It felt like the power was drawn from my will, my focus. My spirit. It is a strange feeling. But there is something personal about it too. Great strength, if one has the will to use it."

He looks up at River and gives the monk a short bow. "Forgive me River. If this is how you fight, then I have truly underestimated the strength of your character. Perhaps, when we get a chance, you could teach me more about harnessing my ki. To combine the strength of the self and the strength of the divine, the inner and the outer... That would be something indeed."

Aeryk
2016-02-25, 08:38 AM
River thinks that over, "Yes, that's basically it. I can't imagine how your magic must feel. I've always been a little... intimidated... by magic. I guess it's just beyond my understanding, but my force of will I can understand much more easily."

In a rare display of affection (let's call it man-fection :P), and without regard for anyone watching, River places a hand on Ed, grasping his shoulder, and says, "And thank you sir, I appreciate your words, it means a lot to me. I have found you to be a very inspiring leader, and quite a capable fighter as well. I could teach you some meditation techniques to focus your will, probably not unlike how you already focus to tap into your magic."

Then abruptly, the moment is over. "Well, let's carry on then. I'll go check out that door." River makes his way to the door to investigate.

So the only thing in that hole was the scroll case then RW? If so, River will jump to the door. He'll spend a ki point to make the final jump, since I don't want to push the odds. Call me superstitious, but the odds of making 3 consecutive checks is only about 60%, even if each individual roll has an 85% chance of success :P The ki will add +20 to his Acro check, putting him at +36.

RandomWombat
2016-02-25, 10:22 AM
Completing the final jump, River finds himself standing horizontally on the door, since there is no platform attached to it to land on. The group will need a way to hold it open before they can jump through.

"So the scroll contained someone's memories?" Sarah asks Edmund while River does what he does best. "Do you only recall the technique, or is there more?"

Aeryk
2016-02-25, 11:09 AM
River checks to see if there is some way to open the door. If there is, he will open it slowly, leaning away from the opening in case a laser beam or some other deathtrap should assault him. After that, he'll peer in cautiously to see what's inside, then, if possible, he'll try and wedge the piton against the edge of the door, or at the hinge to try and keep it open. If all that succeeds he will try and get to the 'ceiling' and check if it's possible to get 'above' it in order to swing the party over.

H. Von Studley
2016-02-25, 09:38 PM
Ed gives River a nod, clearly lost for words.

As the monk jumps away, he turns back to Sarah. "I think so. It feels as though the technique belongs to someone in particular, but I don't know who. And I haven't the foggiest idea how the scroll ended up here. It's something I'd like to follow up though.

"I plan to ask King Kenneth about the scrolls and their techniques - he seems well-versed in history. Likewise with River's master back in Stalling, and my own teacher, a man named Marius Kohl. Marius was the one who taught me to look to Gorum for strength. I had been meaning to see him, to tell him of our adventures and ask him about the amulet in Kenneth's story. I had not heard of the relic, but his understanding of Gorum and the history of our faith is far greater than my own. Perhaps he has heard of these scrolls as well.

"As for me, I can recall the technique, and my body is responding as though I have summoned my ki many times before. Beyond that I cannot say. Is there something specific you would expect?"

He focuses a moment, trying to explore the foreign memories more closely. He reaches out with his mind trying to feel for a hint of their origin or the person who created the scroll.

Lol at 'Man-fection'.

RandomWombat
2016-02-26, 12:35 AM
River can't seem to find a way to simply open the door while effectively standing on the face of it like a floor. This might take some funny maneuvering to figure out how to get the momentum to yank it open without falling out into the void.

Back at the entrance to the physically impossible room, Sarah listens thoughtfully, pondering Edmund's explanation. "It just sounds so... strange, having another person's memory. That was also far easier to learn from than a scroll of magic by the looks of it. As a woman of knowledge, I am obviously curious how it functions."

Reaching into the memory, Edmund cannot recall much outside of the technique, but reaching too deeply causes him to feel odd, like his body is not his own. His limbs feel large and cumbersome for a moment, like they should be sleek, wiry, but no less powerful. It must be the memory of what this person's body was like getting confused with how Edmund's actually is. The feeling passes easily and does not linger once he stops focusing on it.

H. Von Studley
2016-02-26, 02:51 AM
Ed shudders a little as the odd sensation passes and looks back at Sarah. "You won't get any argument from me. And yes, it was much easier than a regular scroll. Once I looked at it I felt a strange sensation, like the memory was asking to be let in. It was a bit dizzying, but not painful. I'd like to learn more about it myself."

He looks up to see River stuck at the door. "River! Hold tight to the door, then tie your lifeline to the handle! I can pull it open from here!"

Alternatively, you could probably do some kind of awesome swinging ninja flip thing to pull it open.

Aeryk
2016-02-26, 09:31 PM
River nods and ties the rope to the door, and holds on tight, waiting for Ed to pull.

H. Von Studley
2016-02-26, 10:34 PM
Ed steps around, finding the best angle, then slowly begins pulling in the rope.

RandomWombat
2016-02-27, 12:29 PM
With a pull, the door begins to swing open, with River crouched on its front. It might be a little dizzying to have the 'ground' moving like that, but he doesn't fall off. To get to where he can enter the door, River will need to climb around to the other side of it. The others can see inside the door now, where another hallway continues briefly before turning left.

For river to climb around the door will not require a climb check thanks to the Spider Climb effect, it will just be a bit awkward.

Aeryk
2016-02-27, 02:14 PM
River makes his way carefully around to the other side of the door, paying special attention to the placement of his hands and feet so he doesn't slip. Once there, he waves his hand in front of the doorway. If nothing happens, he sticks his hand into the doorway and knocks loudly against the wall, or doorframe to see if he triggers any traps. If all is still well after that he will slowly peer in and see what's inside.

After that, he will attempt to get to the 'ceiling' panels of the room he's still in, and see if it is possible to get on top of them in order to swing the party over.

RandomWombat
2016-02-28, 08:50 AM
Knocking on the metal wall, River finds that it does not trigger any sort of deathtraps. Looking around the corner reveals a longer hallway, terminating in another door at the other end.

Returning to the void room, he easily navigates onto the ceiling and peeks up around one of the tiles to see if there is another side. There is indeed another surface to stand on, on the upper face of the ceiling tiles, but he finds it impossible to see any of the layout of the place beyond the self-contained void room.

Aeryk
2016-02-28, 02:37 PM
River reports this fact to the rest of the group, then fishes out the arrow Ed gave him, placing it on the other side of the ceiling tile, then releasing it to see if it stays there.

How wide is this platform at the narrowest spot? River may try and just tie a large loop, then wrap it around the whole platform instead of trying to get to the opposite side himself.

brandnewb
2016-02-28, 02:48 PM
Olivin watches with interest all the goings on. He is a simple sailor, he has seen opponents use ki in the arena but such things are beyond him. He knows combat as a test of strength. His own prowess comes from the application of force and sometimes the application of alcohol.

No-the-less he can't argue with results. River has certainly demonstrated himself to be a formidable warrior. Olivin himself has always been a handy climber, but he could not jump around like the monk ha been doing.

Olivin stands by, waiting to defend his friends from the next threat.

Archemist
2016-02-28, 05:01 PM
Azrin also watches and listens with curiosity as River describes the nothingness beyond the platforms. "What a strange room, to contain an infinite void."

If he sees anything to suggest, he'll do so.

He theoretically knows a bit about rigging stuff together. [roll0]

RandomWombat
2016-02-28, 10:11 PM
The tile is a thin 5-foot square, but Azrin can tell it's not thin enough to pose a threat of cutting into the rope and weakening it. River could secure a rope around it without much effort.

If he's laying the arrow on the 'top' side, above the entire room, it stays there. If he's placing it at his feet on the side facing 'down', it falls onto a platform below. I couldn't quite tell which he meant to do.

Aeryk
2016-02-29, 09:53 AM
Placing the arrow on the 'top' side of the platform, River is satisfied to find that it stays where it is, and he sets about securing his rope around the 5ft platform, then says to the group, "Alright, you should be able to swing your way across now sir!" River will stand on the ceiling and aid with swinging the rope so that the party has enough momentum to make it across. Once that's done, he will secure the rope back to himself, then make his way back to the door.

H. Von Studley
2016-02-29, 06:50 PM
Ed gives River a wave of acknowledgement, then borrows another rope from someone else, mentally kicking himself as he realises he forgot (again) to replace his burned rope. He unrolls it and ties it around his waist. Satisfied with his work, he hands the other end of the safety line to Olivin.

"Just in case something goes wrong. Let it play out as I swing, then you can use it to pull the main rope back so the next person can swing over."

Ed stares out determinedly for a second, mutters a quick prayer, and then swings out over the abyss.

If he arrives safely, he unties the safety line and attaches it to the swinging rope, waving for the others to pull it back and follow. He draws his glaive and stares out at the hall with Detect Magic, keeping a wary eye out for ambushes while the party is vulnerable.

No idea what kind of check (if any) it would be to get across, so I'm happy for you to roll for me RW. My modifiers are:

DEX: +2
STR: +4
Acro (for swinging?): +3 (with Guidance)
Climb (for hanging on?): +4 (with Guidance)

Archemist
2016-02-29, 06:59 PM
"Just in case something goes wrong. Let it play out as I swing, then you can use it to pull the main rope back so the next person can swing over."

Ed stares out determinedly for a second, mutters a quick prayer, and then swings out over the abyss.

"A good plan, Sir." Azrin will probably be one of the last across, giving a little punch "for luck" to the others before they head out.

Guidance-ing them, as with Ed. And then himself, of course. For safety, he ties himself to the second-to-last person and then goes across after them (he has a rope of his own, too).

RandomWombat
2016-02-29, 09:06 PM
Thanks to all the precautions the party has put in place, they are effectively able to retry as much as they need to, though it is a time consuming process. The party gradually makes it across to the door. All I need to know is the order everyone is going in.

Looking down the long hall, Edmund sees nothing that stands out among the ambient magic of this place. As the others begin to arrive beside him, the small section of hallway before the corner becomes crowded. To make room for new arrivals, the line will need to move ahead.

Four people can fit in the section before the corner, before it becomes very crowded. The first few people across will need to risk going a few feet into the new hallway before the last people can come over.

Aeryk
2016-02-29, 09:41 PM
Once everyone is safely across, River files in behind, though he offers to take point again.

River will be last in the door, naturally. Once everyone is in, he can resume scouting if you guys want, though he doesn't have the capability to Detect Magic ;)

H. Von Studley
2016-03-01, 01:26 AM
Until River makes it back to the front for scouting, let's go Mossgandra, Ed, Olivin, Sarah, Hsmorjo, Azrin.

Ed frowns as the party slowly crosses the room. That method was certainly safe, but they wouldn't be making any quick getaways if the need arose. He waves over to River as the monk prepares to cross. "Leave the rope tied up there so we can get back. You might need to jam the end in the door to get it to stay there."

As the remainder of the party swings over, Ed readies his glaive and moves forward down the hall to make room, nodding for Mossgandra and Olivin to follow. He scans the walls carefully for lights or tripwires.

EDIT: Realised that wasn't totally clear. Ed will go forward first, in case something is jumping out to kill us, then we'll switch into the marching order I mentioned. Once River is across he and Mossgandra can switch and we can go back to standard marching order. Aeryk, if you're happy to scout a little ways ahead, Ed can follow close-ish with Detect Magic going.

RandomWombat
2016-03-01, 02:42 AM
Edmund can see some holes in the wall ahead. There hasn't been any particular effort taken to hide them, and he wouldn't be able to tell what's inside unless he gets dangerously close or it comes out - or both. Nothing seems to happen after moving forward, so the group forms up and waits for River to arrive. When he gets there, he moves up to join Mossgandra, Edmund, and Olivin. He notices that the three of them look a little sluggish. Indeed, they feel tired and fatigued.

There is a slight tightness in their chests, and they feel like they're having trouble breathing.

Ed, Mossgandra, and Olivin are fatigued.

Aeryk
2016-03-01, 07:10 AM
River looks at the holes suspiciously, then says to Ed, Olivin and Mossganadra, "Are you guys alright? You don't look so good! Something isn't right here, I think we should back away from those holes. Maybe there's some kind of deadly gas or something coming out of them."

Does River feel any similar effects as he draws near? If not, he may take a deep breath and approach the holes cautiously. Does anyone have a spell that might help or identify what's happening? Or knowledge arcana perhaps?

RandomWombat
2016-03-01, 10:46 AM
River does not experience any negative effects. Approaching one of the holes, he sees nothing of note inside, nor does it lash out at him with anything.

Archemist
2016-03-01, 11:37 AM
Azrin is suspicious of the holes, given the group's symptoms. "Perhaps it'd be best to send a scout quickly past the holes to see if the air gets any better or worse as you go. I've already got a rope on me and could go; if I collapse you could pull me back easily."

[roll0] to see if Azrin knows about stuff that might be in (or absent from) the air that'd cause this effect.

"Mister Drummond would be better at figuring out what constitutes this hazard, but give me a second..."

RandomWombat
2016-03-02, 12:38 AM
If it's any sort of poison, it can't be very potent, or at least not fast-acting. It could be any number of gasses that are not inherently toxic, but take up valuable lung space that oxygen is needed in, causing gradual suffocation. More dangerous gasses can also be highly flammable.

Archemist
2016-03-02, 12:47 AM
Assuming no major objections, Azrin double-checks his rope and Message-spell, then pulls his goggles down over his eyes. "If I raise my right hand, or fall over, pull me back." He trots forward quickly to the end of the hallway, keeping his footsteps light.

RandomWombat
2016-03-02, 10:48 AM
As he gets further into the hall, Azrin begins to feel the fatigue set in as well. At the end of the 40 foot long hall, he arrives at the next door. It looks the same as the last, with a simple handle, and looks to be a 'pull' door from this side.

Archemist
2016-03-02, 11:13 AM
If he is not feeling progressively worse, at least, as the hallway continued, Azrin pauses and examines the door. If nothing seems too amiss, he unfastens the rope from himself and onto the door, and then heads back. "Reminds me of my mountain-trekking days," he comments to no-one in particular, huffing a little as he steadies himself on the rope as he goes.

When he gets back, he'll say to the others, "If the hallway were full of water, I could cast my little spell so we could breathe... sadly it won't do much to help whatever this -" gesturing around "- is. We can pull the door open from here, at least."

H. Von Studley
2016-03-02, 10:30 PM
Ed nods uncomfortably, clearly feeling the effects. He takes a hold of Azrin's rope and leans back, pulling the far door open.

RandomWombat
2016-03-03, 12:38 AM
The door opens up down the hallway, and for a moment the group sees a small flicker of firelight beyond before the gas spreads into the new room and meets it. They have only a split second to react and shield themselves before a massive fireball engulfs the hallway and beyond.

When the light and heat of the flash fire fade, everyone opens their mouths to take a breath and finds themselves gasping helplessly, all of the oxygen burned out of the air around them. The flame in the room ahead has gone out with no more oxygen to burn. The rope used to open the door has been reduced to a charred wreck. Hsmorjo is laying on the ground unconscious near the back of the group, Mossgandra is badly burned, but standing against the wall with her face covered, and Sarah has shielded herself with her heavy cloak and is relatively unscathed.

Everyone suffers [roll0] fire damage, and may make a DC 15 Reflex save to shield themselves and take half damage.

There is no air here for [roll1] minutes (1 minute is 10 rounds). Everyone is now suffocating (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/environment/environmental-rules#TOC-Suffocation) until they reach an area with air in it.

Archemist
2016-03-03, 01:34 AM
The door opens up down the hallway, and for a moment the group sees a small flicker of firelight beyond before the gas spreads into the new room and meets it. They have only a split second to react and shield themselves before a massive fireball engulfs the hallway and beyond.

Reflex [roll0] This is counting the -1 from being Fatigued (-2 Dex for a -1 to the save).

Azrin staggers from the explosion. He starts to move to Hsmorjo, thinking to perhaps give him a curative extract. He tries talking but second-guesses it when he realizes he can't breathe. Continuing past Hsmorjo, he heads to the platform-room ledge in search of better air.

Azrin's sheet has been updated with the full damage, sigh. I've got two CLW extracts and a Reduce Person extract (in case we need to carry Hsmorjo quickly). :smallsmile:

Counting this one, Azrin has 28 rounds before checks. So 27 remain once he makes it to the ledge (which iirc is pretty close to where we were all standing). He is both Fatigued and also now Shaken (from being below half health).

H. Von Studley
2016-03-03, 03:34 AM
Reflex save: [roll0]

Ed stumbles back as the wave of fire washes over him. He waves for the group to follow Azrin back to the platform room, then staggers over to Hsmorjo, throwing the unconscious Nagaji over his shoulder.

Ouch! That's a bad one. I'll move back to Hsmorjo and pick him up. Ed also started with 28 rounds of air, but I'm guessing that picking him up is a standard, which means I'm down to 26.

Edmund Grimace (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=427252)

Chaotic Good Human Fighter/Cleric (ECL 5)

HP 30/46, Initiative +4, Speed 25, BAB 4.
AC 16, Touch 12, Flat-Footed 14, CMB +8, CMD 20
Fort+8, Ref+3, Will+6
Masterwork Glaive +9 (1d10+6)
Throwing Axe +8 (Melee) +6 (Thrown) (1d6+4)
+1 Orcsbane Warhammer +9(+11) (1d8+7(+2d6+2))
Shortbow +6 (1d6)
Chain Shirt +4 (Light)

Effects Defending Bone DR 5/Bludgeoning (11/25) 5 hour duration - cast upon entering silver plane. FATIGUE.

Spells (CL5): (L1) 4/4, (L2) 1/3
(D1) 1/1, (D2) 1/1

Abilities: STR 18, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 15, CHA 10

Special Abilities: Channel Energy 1/3, Ferocious Strike 3/5, Touch of Glory 5/5.

RandomWombat
2016-03-03, 10:40 AM
Jumping back into the platform room will require DC 20 Acrobatics, since they're at the furthest jump, followed by DC 15 and DC 10 to get back to the other door.

Aeryk
2016-03-03, 01:03 PM
River turns away from the blast and shields his face as the flames stream down the hallway. He checks on Mossgandra as everyone else leaves the corridor, then offers to help her back to the platform room, where he walks up the wall again to the ceiling.

[roll0]

Aeryk
2016-03-05, 12:06 AM
Looking at the situation and seeing that it may be difficult for everyone to get safely across, River makes a snap decision to run back down the scorched hallway as fast as he can in the hopes of finding breathable air. Making eye contact with Ed, he motions to his nose, then points down the hallway to save his breath and hopes that his message is clear enough.

River will use full round actions to run if possible, or double moves if it's not straight enough, to scout ahead. I guess River has been holding his breath for 4 rounds now, which gives him 26 rounds before he has to make con checks, or is it double cost to use standard/full round actions? I wasn't exactly sure from the description. Whatever the case may be, I'll use half the rounds to scout ahead, taking small inhales at 1 round intervals to test the air.

H. Von Studley
2016-03-05, 02:00 AM
With Hsmorjo draped across his shoulders, Ed begins to runs back for the door, but stops as River bursts through in front of him. The monk was clearly not confident of their chances of getting across, and seemed to be scouting ahead to check for air further along.

Ed frowns, a pained look on his face, and fights to stop himself gasping for air. Already a dull ache was beginning to settle in his lungs. River was right. Whatever else was ahead, they'd have to risk it. He turns and follows, raising a hand to Hsmorjo and channeling healing magic as he runs.

Casting CLW on Hsmorjo (converting Divine Favour)

[roll0] heals.

24 rounds of air left!

Archemist
2016-03-05, 02:01 PM
Ed frowns, a pained look on his face, and fights to stop himself gasping for air. Already a dull ache was beginning to settle in his lungs. River was right. Whatever else was ahead, they'd have to risk it. He turns and follows, raising a hand to Hsmorjo and channeling healing magic as he runs.

Azrin, having retrieved the extract, sees Ed following along behind River. That the huge room seemed to suddenly have no air in it was strange. He wondered if it was like holding a glass upside-down over a candle... and if so, whether his musket would work, or his fire-magic even. For that matter, he was not exactly sure how long he could hold his breath; he hadn't needed to practice that while swimming after learning the trick of breathing the water itself.

Azrin joins the chain running forward in the hopes of not having to find out the answers to these questions. He motions for the others to stay together; hopefully not too hard since his own little legs are the shortest of the group's.

Taking a full-action to run. So Round 1 was "move to ledge, draw potion" and so Azrin's used effectively 4 round's-worth of air, down to 24/28, 2 per real round so far.

RandomWombat
2016-03-05, 02:30 PM
Taking a Full or Standard costs 2 rounds of air, yes.

River darts ahead past everyone else into the room with the flame. The flame is positioned on a pedestal with a hole in the center, where the flame was spouting from. Above the hole is another hole, this one inside of a metal pipe. Judging by the space around the pipe it looks like it must be movable. Another opening around the fire hole would allow the pipe to slide in and contain the fire inside of it, keeping it hidden, but with enough air in the exposed space to last a short while.

The room around the fire pedestal is small, with the wall on the far side of the room dominated by some kind of apparatus. A circular maze of sorts is set into the wall, behind a pane of what must be glass. A metal ball sits at the top of the maze, and at the bottom is a hole, though it seems it will only be a hole when the maze is aligned with the hole in the wall behind it. There are handles along the edges of the maze; perhaps it is meant to be operated by turning it to get the ball in the hole.

No other exits are immediately visible in the room.

Aeryk
2016-03-05, 04:46 PM
River arrives at the pedestal and attempts to move the metal pipe over the flame hole. He then checks out the maze, though it just looks confusing to him. Desperate to figure it out in the hopes that it might be a way to get fresh air, he experiments with turning it each way to see what happens and if he can line it up right. Once the others catch up, he'll let them take over if he hasn't figured it out yet.

Do you require any checks RW?

Archemist
2016-03-05, 04:51 PM
Desperate to figure it out in the hopes that it might be a way to get fresh air, he experiments with turning it each way to see what happens and if he can line it up right. Once the others catch up, he'll let them take over if he hasn't figured it out yet.

Do you require any checks RW?

Azrin joins River in examining the contraption.

Checks, or else RW is gonna have to draw it for us. :smallwink:

RandomWombat
2016-03-05, 06:29 PM
Completing the ball maze will first require an Intelligence check to determine the fastest path through the maze. This determines how many checks the puzzle solver will need to make. The checks to complete the maze are a series of DC 13 Acrobatics checks to quickly manipulate the maze, each taking 1 round to attempt.

A 5 on the Int check requires 4 Acrobatics checks, 10 requires 3, 15 requires 2, and 20 or higher requires only 1.

Normally one person could make the Int check and then another could follow their directions to do the Acrobatics, but since nobody can talk right now due to the lack of air, only one person may attempt to solve the maze at a time.

Climbing onto the pedestal, River grabs at the pipe above, but it remains firmly in place. Whatever mechanism makes it move isn't here. He begins examining the puzzle on the wall, and Azrin comes running up behind him.

Aeryk
2016-03-05, 11:35 PM
Azrin comes up, and River rotates the puzzle to show him. Then he points at the pipe and back at the puzzle and shrugs to show that he thinks they are linked, but he isn't confident in solving it. He steps aside to let Azrin have a crack at it.

Archemist
2016-03-07, 12:50 AM
Azrin is grateful for River's quick thinking. He applies himself to the maze, but as he lifts his hand to trace the path, a shock of pain and fear comes over him as he sees how burned and blistered his arms are.

He has at least the presence of mind to remember that the answer to that particular puzzle is already in his other hand, though. He drinks the extract there, and feels refreshed. He closes his eyes for the tiniest of seconds, and then studies the maze furiously.

Round 3: CLW for [roll0] hp. He is no longer Shaken.

Round 4: An Int-based 3d6 check to figure out the maze: [roll1]

Assuming the checks are additional "full-round" actions, he has 20/28 rounds of air left, and everybody else can do whatever they like. I suppose Ed should get ready to heal Hsmorjo again by the 4th or 5th round, then, too; let me know if the math works for Guidance on the Acrobatics (perhaps River could assist on those, alternately?)

brandnewb
2016-03-07, 07:22 PM
Olivin follows along holding his breath.

Olivin Instance (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=78018)
human Lore Master Fighter Lvl 5 N
HP 17 / 60 Speed ft Init 0
AC 14 Fort 7 Ref 1 Will 2
CMB +12 BAB 5
Whip +1 14 (1d3+7, x2)
whip+1 pwr attack 13 (1d3+9, x2)
whip+1 trip&disarm 18 (nil, x2)
cat whip 13 (1d4+6, x2)
cat pwr attack 12 (1d4+8, x2)
cat trip&disarm 17 (nil, x2)
Str 20 (5) Dex 10 () Con 16 (3) Wis 10 () Int 14 (2) Cha 7 (-2)

H. Von Studley
2016-03-10, 02:24 AM
Ed staggers down the corridor, vividly aware of Hsmorjo's weight slowing him down. His old wound begins to throb again and the lack of air somehow accentuates the pain. He grits his teeth and pushes on regardless, beads of sweat forming on his brow.

He feels Hsmorjo gasping on his shoulder, desperately trying to draw a breath. The explosion had given him no chance to get a lungful of air. Ed's mind races, trying to find a solution. Azrin's charm? It's given us breath before... No, that must only work in water or he'd have used it already. I could summon some water, but then we'd have nothing to hold it in...

Ed stands bolt upright as an idea strikes him. He fumbles at his belt with his free hand, then tears free an empty waterskin, twists off the cap and shoves it into the Nagaji's mouth.

The navy armorer had warned him against the dangers of wearing heavy armor aboard a ship, so Ed had taken precautions before ever setting foot on the Fog. The empty waterskin that had hung unnoticed from his belt had been placed there as a last resort. Should their ship have begun to go down, he had intended to inflate it to help himself float. But for now it might provide a few more precious seconds of oxygen for the suffocating Nagaji on his shoulder.

With Hsmorjo's air supply solved, for the moment, he finally bursts through the door at the end of the corridor, waving for Mossgandra to close it behind them. He sees Azrin struggling with a heavy puzzle and moves up to help as best as he can.

So I'll try to track Ed and Hsmorjo's air for the past few rounds - pull me up if I make a mistake here.

I think Ed has already moved about 10' up the 40' hall. Carring Hsmorjo, he is at a heavy load and has a move speed of 10'.

Round 3 (since explosion): Ed moves 10' and draws the waterskin as a move action, then takes a standard to apply it to Hsmorjo. Ed down to 22 rounds of air before unconsciousness, Hsmorjo down to 3.
Round 4: Ed takes a run action as a full round action, taking him through the door and into the puzzle room. Ed 20, Hsmorjo 2.
Round 5: Ed casts Guidance on Azrin. Ed 18, Hsmorjo 1.
Round 6: Ed casts Guidance again. Ed 16 Hsmorjo 0.

Can someone give Hsmorjo a potion or something before the end of round 6? Or use the waterskin to give him some of your own air? Ed's standard is casting Guidance on Azrin (he obviously didn't need the bonus, but we couldn't have known that at the time.

RandomWombat
2016-03-10, 10:50 AM
As everyone feels the burning ache in their lungs, Azrin pulls together his focus and wheels the maze about, guiding the ball to its resting place. He closes the distance quickly and there is the satisfying clink of the ball falling into place. The door behind them has been shut by Mossgandra, but now a new one opens on the right side of the room (relative to the entrance). Where there was once no door, the wall simply peels back and opens up, revealing a hallway that goes to the left and to the right. With the new opening comes a rush of breathable air into the small room, and everyone is finally able to take a breath.

Hsmorjo splutters and coughs, unconscious at the moment, but alive. Sarah and Mossgandra thankfully welcome the air into their lungs.

From the central pedestal in the room, a simple rod of gleaming blue metal rises out of the hole the fire was coming from and floats there. At one end is a small weighted sphere and at the other is a black leather handle clearly intended as a grip.

Archemist
2016-03-10, 11:21 AM
As everyone feels the burning ache in their lungs, Azrin pulls together his focus and wheels the maze about, guiding the ball to its resting place. He closes the distance quickly and there is the satisfying clink of the ball falling into place. The door behind them has been shut by Mossgandra, but now a new one opens on the right side of the room (relative to the entrance). Where there was once no door, the wall simply peels back and opens up, revealing a hallway that goes to the left and to the right. With the new opening comes a rush of breathable air into the small room, and everyone is finally able to take a breath.

Azrin spends a few moments panting. He sits on the floor, recovering. "Whew! I thought we might be goners, there," he finally says. Azrin wipes some sweat from his brow and gets up again. "I suppose the metal things that live here aren't too concerned with breathing. Remind me to carry around a bucket of water in the future so we can dunk our heads and breathe out of that." He winces.

"Good thought with the empty waterskin, though, Sir."

Satisfied that Hsmorjo will live, Azrin goes over and examines the blue rod.

Aeryk
2016-03-10, 01:44 PM
River gratefully inhales the fresh air. "Well done Mr. Bluestone!". Curious, he also looks at the object on the pedestal. "What is it?", he asks to everyone in general. In spite of his curiosity, he does not attempt to touch it out of distrust for this entire place.

brandnewb
2016-03-11, 09:15 PM
Olivin gasps in the fresh air when I finally fills the room. He takes several moments catching his breath. Once he is recovered he approaches the strange object. However he knows better than to touch it. He waits to le temps magical gifted décidé what to do.

RandomWombat
2016-03-12, 01:12 PM
While Olivin somehow turns french, Azrin (presumably) uses Detect Magic to examine the rod, which is certainly magical. He isn't certain exactly what the woven magic in the rod is, but he senses a moderate presence of the evocation school.

Rolled Spellcraft and Know: Arcana offscreen under the assumption he uses Detect Magic, only the latter of which succeeded.

Sarah steps forward to examine the rod as well, leaning upon the pedestal for support as she gasps at the new air. Coughing a bit at first when she tries to talk, she pauses to steady herself and explains in Ulselandic, "This is called a Fiery Nimbus Rod (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rods/fiery-nimbus-rod). It can mark foes with faerie fire. Unlike normal faerie fire, striking the foe in close quarters turns the fire upon them, burning them. Not a bad find."

After catching her breath, Mossgandra takes up a defensive position near the new opening, in case anything decides to attack from it. "Only one way left to go now, comrades."

Aeryk
2016-03-12, 06:25 PM
River listens to Sarah's explanation with interest, then approaches the new opening with Mossgandra. "Ready?", River asks the room in general, then looks into the opening to see what he can see. Once everyone is prepared to strike off once again, he will advance cautiously, as before.

The fiery nimbus rod looks pretty cool!

H. Von Studley
2016-03-12, 11:57 PM
Ed breathes in deeply as air floods the room. He gently lowers Hsmorjo to the ground and holds his hands out over his unconscious form. More healing magic floods down through his hands.

As Hsmorjo begins to stir Ed stands and looks back around the room.

"Quick thinking Azrin, thank you. How is everyone? I'm beginning to run low on spells, but I can keep going for now. Hsmorjo, perhaps you should rest here and wait for us to scout on ahead. Those burns look pretty serious."

Ed is converting Bless into another CLW for Hsmorjo. He's down to 2 first level spells, one second level spell, and his domain spells. He also has 30/46 hit points and his false life buff was blown away by the fire trap.

Does everyone want to continue? I'm happy to push on a little further. Are we all still fatigued RW?

CLW: [roll0]

And does anyone want that rod? It seems pretty awesome.

Archemist
2016-03-13, 12:19 AM
As Hsmorjo begins to stir Ed stands and looks back around the room.

"Quick thinking Azrin, thank you. How is everyone? I'm beginning to run low on spells, but I can keep going for now. Hsmorjo, perhaps you should rest here and wait for us to scout on ahead. Those burns look pretty serious."

Azrin seems to be fine with continuing, and relieved to see Hsmorjo recovering. "Was getting a little light-headed there, Sir, but better by the minute. Let's see what's around the corner. Given what Sarah said about that wand... maybe one of you big strong types should be the ones hitting foes with it. A tap with that, and then your hammer, ought to bring almost anyone to the floor."

He checks to make sure Botticelli is okay, and then ducks behind River as they peek around the next doorway.

Thanks for rolling for me, RW, I was hesitating to double-post with it and figured it'd be better if I didn't know how I did.

Also, checking Botticelli's Con score (8), he'd be okay, but I'm glad I didn't have that worrying me while deciding what else to do. :smallwink:

RandomWombat
2016-03-13, 09:03 AM
It'd have sucked to forgot your familiar and have it suffocate while doing stuff, yeah.

Hsmorjo winces and hisses in pain as he sits up, coming to his senses. Pulling himself into a seated position against the central pedestal, he nods at Edmund's suggestion, trying not to look at his own burns. Kneeling next to him, Mossgandra knows better than to touch him with those burns, but makes sure he is okay.

Azrin and River peek into the hallway ahead. The path to the left quickly dies off in a dead end, while the path to the right is another long hallway leading onwards.

Aeryk
2016-03-13, 10:27 AM
River will take his time to examine the dead end to make sure there aren't any hidden switches, traps or other objects before checking the path to the right.

Taking 20 on perception on the dead end, if he can, for 31.

RandomWombat
2016-03-14, 09:10 AM
River's thorough investigation takes a while, but he finds a small groove along the back wall of the dead end, like it's meant to open up.

Aeryk
2016-03-14, 09:21 AM
River alerts everyone to this find and warns them to get ready in case something leaps out at them. Once everyone has taken position he pulls on the groove to open the back wall.

Archemist
2016-03-14, 07:20 PM
River alerts everyone to this find and warns them to get ready in case something leaps out at them. Once everyone has taken position he pulls on the groove to open the back wall.

Azrin readies the musket as usual, standing at little ways back at the doorway into the pedestal room.

RandomWombat
2016-03-14, 08:56 PM
River tries to dig his nails into the groove, but can't easily get the wall to open up. He tries pushing it, but it still doesn't budge.

Aeryk
2016-03-14, 08:59 PM
River turns to the group and says, "I can't get it! Anybody have a crowbar or something? Or maybe just some extra hands might do it."

Is the groove big enough to have more people helping out? Of course, there may be a switch or something nearby...

RandomWombat
2016-03-14, 09:10 PM
It's more a case of the groove being too small to get a source of leverage inside it.

Archemist
2016-03-14, 09:12 PM
River turns to the group and says, "I can't get it! Anybody have a crowbar or something? Or maybe just some extra hands might do it."

"No crowbar, but I do have this (rather small, to you, I suppose) boarding axe."

Azrin examines the groove, looking for whether it perhaps has a key, as if something might rest in it. He uses his detecting-spell again, to see if it has a different aura than the wall generally.

He pulls out Botticelli and confers with him about it as well.

RandomWombat
2016-03-15, 02:10 AM
The groove spans the edge of the wall where it meets the other walls, floor, and ceiling, forming a square.

H. Von Studley
2016-03-15, 06:05 AM
Ed eyes the grooves suspiciously. "It looks like the whole wall moves. Maybe it's to trap us, or crush us, when we press on down the other corridor."

Archemist
2016-03-15, 12:10 PM
"Very true. If it advances, it could block the doorway and keep us from returning to this room. One of us should probably pick up that mace before we go on down the hall. I wonder if we all stand on that wall, if it'd just lift us like the deck of a ship in a swell."

"On the other hand, grooves or no grooves hasn't kept the walls from shifting on us here before." Azrin seems to be getting resigned to being at the mercy of this shiny dimension's whims.

H. Von Studley
2016-03-15, 09:38 PM
Ed nods in agreement. "Mossgandra, you should take the mace for now. It should be a bit more useful than the dagger if we have to fight any more of those sentinels or other constructs. And that's a good idea Azrin. Worth a shot at least."

Ed steps over to the wall, attempting to walk up its side and gesturing for the others to join him. He also pushes on it, hard, seeing if there is any give. If nothing happens he shrugs, readies his shield in front of him and encourages everyone up the corridor.

"It seems to me that this place is testing us. Every puzzle has an answer, every obstacle a means to overcome it. Undoubtedly dangerous, but it makes me eager to see what else is in store."

If no one has anymore ideas for what to do with groove-wall, let's push on in standard marching order, keeping a very close eye behind us.

RandomWombat
2016-03-16, 01:09 PM
"Miss Mossgandra, if you don't mind, I would like to hold onto that dagger for now. It will be far more effective than my own if anything decides to close distance," Sarah requests as the elven commander takes the gleaming blue rod from its pedestal. With a nod, she passes the Blood Dagger to Sarah.

"I think the wounded should stay to the middle of the group. I don't like having that false wall behind us," Mossgandra comments as the group discusses what to do about it.

H. Von Studley
2016-03-16, 06:53 PM
Ed nods at Sarah's comment. "Agreed, although I think we're all wounded to some degree or another at this stage. Do you have any more spells that could help? That wand of yours was attuned to False Life if memory serves. I'm reluctant to use too many more of my spells just yet. I fear we may need their offensive power (or further healing) up ahead."

How are the NPCs looking, health wise? Hsmorjo is pretty banged up I imagine, and the others can't be looking too good after the explosion either.

RandomWombat
2016-03-16, 07:16 PM
Mossgandra is looking pretty banged up as well. Sarah took it like a champ, but she's also not a frontliner, so it'll go quickly if she's attacked directly.

"Here. I will grant our most wounded a buffer," taking up her wand in her free hand, Sarah taps Mossgandra, Olivin, and Hsmorjo with it. Their skin takes on the slightly pale hue brought on by the spell, and their pain fades into the backs of their minds.

Olivin and Mossgandra both gain 8 temporary hitpoints for 3 hours. Hsmorjo gains 13 temporary hit points with a lucky roll.

H. Von Studley
2016-03-16, 07:31 PM
"Thank you. Hsmorjo, if you're feeling up to it now you could press on with us. Up to you."

Maybe we should scout this corridor properly before we bring the group in.

Aeryk, do you want to check out the bend up ahead while we stay back and keep an eye on this wall? If so, Ed will cast cast Guidance on River before he goes. Ed will stand ready in cover at the fork in corridor, watching the false wall closely and ready to fight or call out a warning to River.

RandomWombat
2016-03-17, 12:16 AM
"I think I can keep going. Thank you for your magic," standing from the ground, Hsmorjo bows to Sarah and Edmund in thanks for their healing.

RandomWombat
2016-03-20, 12:44 PM
River scouts ahead for the party, cautiously inching into the new hallway. At first things seem normal, but then he notices the walls look rough and uneven ahead, like it's eroded or perhaps... dusty? He returns to the others to report his findings rather than venturing into the strange area.

Archemist
2016-03-20, 02:59 PM
River returns to the others to report his findings rather than venturing into the strange area.

Azrin racks his brains.

Okay okay, Engineering/Alchemy(?):
E: [roll0]
A: [roll1]

RandomWombat
2016-03-21, 11:37 AM
Azrin examines the dust carefully. It is made of the same silvery material as the rest of this realm. Azrin recalls the previous venture into the realm, when the party was trapped in pitch darkness and had to use Detect Magic to see. He was 'attacked' by a cloud of dust-like particles in the air that sapped the heat from his body.

H. Von Studley
2016-03-23, 07:25 PM
Assuming Azrin shares that with the group...

Ed nods, remembering. "I remember that thing. It went down pretty quickly to River's electric attacks if I'm not mistaken. Everyone move up, but be on your guard. There may be more of them, or a bigger one than last time. Let's take it slowly."

Ed readies his shield and hammer and advances towards the hallway. As he gets closer, he stops and holds a hand out toward the dusty hallway.

"Hold up - I want to try something."

He mutters a command word and a rain of tiny droplets fall throughout the corridor. Ed watches closely to see how they behave.

Casting Create Water in the hallway, and looking for sections where the water freezes or behaves differently. I'm hoping that if the whole area is dealing cold damage, or just a specific section is, we'll be able to tell from the water.

Also casting Detect Magic and checking the hallway with that.

Archemist
2016-03-23, 08:12 PM
Assuming Azrin shares that with the group...

Azrin indeed relayed the info. He adds, "Thankfully, I also prepared my 'zapping poke' incantation today, having remembered the inhabitants of this place don't seem to like being shocked. The... name is still a work in-progress."

He readies himself to cast said spell if there is motion from the dust, and watches the captain's experiment with interest.

RandomWombat
2016-03-23, 11:01 PM
Edmund conjures water in the middle of the hallway, 'waking up' the particles, which float off of the walls, ceiling, and floor. They swarm in the hallway and the group can see the water freeze in the midst of them as the warmth is taken from it. Some of the silver dust is frozen in the water, but it doesn't seem to hinder the swarm. It begins to roll down the hallway towards the party like a heavy fog, and even on the edge Edmund can feel the cold coming closer.

Looking into the hallway with his magic sense, Edmund is greeted by the swirling kaleidoscope that is the silver dust cloud.

Aeryk
2016-03-28, 08:02 AM
River edges forward, ready for anything as Ed creates water in the passage. Once the particles start floating toward them, he glances back at Ed uncertainly, and readies himself to either fight or flee.

H. Von Studley
2016-03-28, 07:53 PM
Ed backs away as the fog approaches, gesturing for the group behind him to move. "Back up! Don't let it touch you!"

I've got a few ideas for dealing with it, but I'm not sure how good any of them are.

RW, does the fog fill the entire hallway? I noticed you said it was heavy - does that mean there's a free space in the ceiling? We could climb the walls and let it pass under us.

Alternatively, we could lure it back to the gas room, shut the door behind it and ignite the gas somehow. The ensuing explosion might burn it all away. Of course that assumes the gas is still flowing and that we can find a clever way to ignite it from the other side of a closed door and without killing ourselves.

I don't know... Any thoughts or other ideas?

brandnewb
2016-03-28, 08:59 PM
Olivin looks at the approaching cloud with concern, not entirely sure what he can do about it. After a moments hesitation he takes a few steps back, the prepares an attack, not sure that it will do any good.

Olivin Instance (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=78018)
human Lore Master Fighter Lvl 5 N
HP 17(+8 temp=25) / 60 Speed ft Init 0
AC 14 Fort 7 Ref 1 Will 2
CMB +12 BAB 5
Whip +1 14 (1d3+7, x2)
whip+1 pwr attack 13 (1d3+9, x2)
whip+1 trip&disarm 18 (nil, x2)
cat whip 13 (1d4+6, x2)
cat pwr attack 12 (1d4+8, x2)
cat trip&disarm 17 (nil, x2)
Str 20 (5) Dex 10 () Con 16 (3) Wis 10 () Int 14 (2) Cha 7 (-2)

RandomWombat
2016-03-28, 09:42 PM
The 'fog' of silver dust is staying close to the ground, yes. From their experience the group knows that it is capable of going higher.

It is about four times the size of the swarm the group encountered before.

The group keeps their distance. They have ample hallway space behind them, and the swarm is moving slowly for now, but the space won't last forever.

Sarah makes a few arcane gestures in preparation, just in case she needs to cast, "Shall I let loose with the fire, or will your men deal with it? Electricity is more effective in this place. I should invest in a few of those sorts of spells myself."

H. Von Studley
2016-03-28, 11:43 PM
Still backing away, Ed shakes his head. "Hold for now, I've got an idea. Did anyone notice if those vents in the hallway resumed pumping gas after the explosion? We can draw it back to the corridor, run up the ceiling and over the cloud, get back to the puzzle room, lob in a vial of alchemist's fire and shut the door. The hallway blows and hopefully takes the cloud with it. Even if it isn't enough to kill the thing, that door must have been airtight to keep the gas in. If we close the door it hopefully won't be able to follow us."

He shrugs, eyes not leaving the deadly fog before them. "Unless anyone has any other ideas, I think that's the safest way to destroy it. I don't know how much good our regular weapons will be."

Archemist
2016-03-29, 01:16 AM
"Unless anyone has any other ideas, I think that's the safest way to destroy it. I don't know how much good our regular weapons will be."

"Indeed - even my little thunderstorm might not find much to zap, cloud vs. cloud. We'd have to all move as a group to draw it into the trap hallway. I'd been rather hoping it hadn't reset, though, in case we need to leave that way."

Aggressive Thundercloud has a Reflex negates save, so I'm guessing a cloud could dodge it pretty easily. But I'm not sure. My other AOE spell is Web, which I'm thinking is also pretty useless. :smalltongue:

So Azrin is still gonna be readying Shocking Grasp if the cloud overtakes us like last time, but other than that, I'm up to try to fool the cloud.

H. Von Studley
2016-03-30, 08:41 PM
"We'll just have to see. If the trap hasn't reset we'll have to fight it the old fashioned way. Mossgandra, get the door. Everyone hold your breath while we're in there - don't inhale any more of that gas if you can help it. We move as one, wait for it to fully enter the hallway and get clear of the door. Then we go up and over the thing. Once we're back in the puzzle room, someone ignite the gas and I'll shut the door.

"Now move!"

Does anyone actually have alchemists fire? I went with that because we can throw it into the hallway and shut the door before it breaks, so there's no chance of igniting any gas in the puzzle room. Fire spells or flint and steel require line of effect, so we risk blowing ourselves up too.

I've just realised that Ed doesn't have any AF. Does anyone else, or the NPCs, have some? Would Orrick have given any to someone?

Archemist
2016-03-30, 09:05 PM
Azrin rummages through his pack quickly and mutters.

"Hmm, plenty of gunpowder, a feather-token that could make a big fan, some ale (that'd be a pity!), some flares... no alchemist's fire per se, but we may be able to rig something up if all you need is a flash, Sir. I even just this morning reviewed both my shocking spell and my sparking spell."

H. Von Studley
2016-03-30, 11:23 PM
Ed reaches the corner, turning back into the puzzle room ahead of the fog. "Whatever it takes. As long as the door's closed when we ignite the gas, I'm open to anything."

RandomWombat
2016-03-31, 12:20 AM
Everyone files back into the puzzle room and reaches the door to the gas hallway, where they find it remarkable difficult to open. There's still very little if any oxygen on the other side, meaning the difference in air pressure between the rooms has the airtight door stuck shut until the pressure equalizes. The silver 'fog' is still behind them, but hasn't even reached the corner to enter view from the puzzle room yet.

Forcing the door open will require a DC 23 Strength check, or some creative thinking.

Aeryk
2016-04-02, 11:15 AM
River tries to help open the stuck door, but it proves to be a fruitless effort. "Sir, I think we're going to have to fight our way through, or maybe try and run past it as quickly as possible. This door isn't going to budge. I think this place has a mind of its own, and it wants us to carry on the only way we can; forward." With that, River turns back in the direction of the mist to see how close it is.

River is prepared for a fight, unless anyone else has another idea.

Archemist
2016-04-02, 11:28 AM
River tries to help open the stuck door, but it proves to be a fruitless effort. "Sir, I think we're going to have to fight our way through, or maybe try and run past it as quickly as possible. This door isn't going to budge. I think this place has a mind of its own, and it wants us to carry on the only way we can; forward." With that, River turns back in the direction of the mist to see how close it is.

"River! You may have hit upon it - so far, this cloud may as well have been made of molasses. Do you think there's room here to just run it in a half-circle and then leave the way it came in, with it then behind us? Quickly, let's group up on the left wall and see how well it spreads out in here."

I'm ok with a fight as well; if it turns out that we can't just literally run circles around it, then we'd have had to fight through it anyhow, most likely.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-03, 04:17 AM
"Sir, I think we're going to have to fight our way through, or maybe try and run past it as quickly as possible. This door isn't going to budge. I think this place has a mind of its own, and it wants us to carry on the only way we can; forward."

"I think you're right, but I'm sick of doing what it wants us to do. We have to break its rules, run this gauntlet on our terms. Turn their own traps against them if we can. Now, help me with the door, we can do this together!"

Ed whips a length of rope from his pack, slips it through the handle and throws the end to River. Turning away, he draws a solid-looking iron axe from his belt and digs one edge into the door frame for extra leverage. "Everyone grab the rope and pull together! 1... 2... 3... PULL!"

Ed leans against the end of the axe with all his might.

How about we have one go at the door, and if we can't get it open we can fight ti or run around it? I'll change the above post if you guys prefer.

RW, if we do get the door open a little, Ed will jam the axe into the crack to hold it open. Should I make a strength check? Ed can push with about 1500lb of force, based on the carry capacity (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/alignment-description/carrying-capacity) entry.

RandomWombat
2016-04-03, 12:23 PM
The party can make Strength checks together, and Aid Another on Ed's check. His axe will also give him a +1.

Hsmorjo takes up the rope, Mossgandra taking place behind him. Sarah looks uncertainly at the entrance behind them, expecting the cloud to come at them at any moment, but she grabs onto the rope too.

For every 10 or more, Ed gets a +2.
Hsmorjo [roll0]
Mossgandra [roll1]
Sarah [roll2]

Aeryk
2016-04-03, 03:33 PM
After checking down the hall, River dutifully turns back to give Ed a hand with the door, pulling on the axe with all his might.

[roll0]

Archemist
2016-04-03, 05:30 PM
Azrin lends his tiny arm.

[roll0] (yep, that is a negative modifier, haha)

H. Von Studley
2016-04-04, 12:45 AM
With everyone straining with the rope, Ed throws all his weight against the axe.

The edge of the axe begins to slide out from the doorframe under the immense pressure. Ed grunts with the strain and frustration as he watches helplessly. The weapon wasn't designed with this use in mind. He glances back over his shoulder, searching for the silver cloud's appearance around the corner, before turning back in surprise as the sharp edge finally catches on the metal door and cracks it open.

As the door opens, he notes, unsurprised, that another token seems to have disappeared from his pocket.

I'm not sure if B is away working, so I might just make the check now rather than wait for him. If it falls short maybe we can have his Aid Another after the fact?

Strength check: [roll0]

EDIT: Fail! Using a hero token as discussed in OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20621790&postcount=160).

RandomWombat
2016-04-04, 11:12 AM
With a lucky slip of the axe, the door's seal breaks and it pops open, followed by a rush of air out of the room and into the hallway ahead. The way forwards (backwards?) is now open.

The bad air is still affecting this hallway, but the party know in advance now and can hold their breath.

brandnewb
2016-04-04, 12:21 PM
Having helped pull the door open Olivin holds his breath as instructed. He looks at the weapons he is carrying. And decides to pull out the sword he has been given, maybe it will serve him to greater effect against this foe.

I was looking in his character sheet and he does not have it listed. But Olivin Olivin going to take that unused sword from the king correct? If I'm mistaken then never mind. I just thought it would be fun to try it. I don't even remember what the stats are.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-04, 09:56 PM
Ed throws the door open and charges into the hallway, holding his breath. He waves for the group to follow, then turns and waits for the cloud.

Yep B, the sword was for you. Ed gave it to Olivin in a post before we came down here.

Given we have no Alchemists Fire, are you happy to spark the gas Archy? Will that spell give us enough time to fully close the door before the explosion RW?

If not, we could also throw a piece of flint into the hallway and have River throw shurikens at it. That might give us some more door-closing time.

Archemist
2016-04-04, 10:25 PM
Ed throws the door open and charges into the hallway, holding his breath. He waves for the group to follow, then turns and waits for the cloud.

Yep B, the sword was for you. Ed gave it to Olivin in a post before we came down here.

Given we have no Alchemists Fire, are you happy to spark the gas Archy? Will that spell give us enough time to fully close the door before the explosion RW?

If not, we could also throw a piece of flint into the hallway and have River throw shurikens at it. That might give us some more door-closing time.

When he sees the cloud approaching, Azrin tells Botticelli, "Here we go again, take a deep breath, Now!" He then also takes a breath and follows the Captain, taking a last glance back and hoping he can remember the maze-valve adequately.

I'm happy to Spark it after we run around the cloud into the maze room again. It's even an only-somatic spell so I won't need to talk to cast it.

RandomWombat
2016-04-05, 12:15 AM
I believe it was a +1 Called (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/called) Longsword. After having it for a day, he can summon it to his hand as a swift action at any time as long as it's in 100 feet. Good if you're disarmed.

Azrin can set off the gas with a spark spell, in which case one party member will need to make a DC 14 Reflex save to quickly slam the door shut before the fireball reaches the group.

Everyone files into the hallway, waiting for the cloud. It rolls in behind them, taking its sweet time. Once there's room, the group clamors onto the walls and runs past it in a disorienting sprint, arriving in the puzzle chamber. The swarm-cloud doesn't react quickly enough to ensnare them as they go by, and mindlessly changes directions to roll once more towards the door.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-05, 02:11 AM
Azrin can set off the gas with a spark spell, in which case one party member will need to make a DC 14 Reflex save to quickly slam the door shut before the fireball reaches the group.

Would the save be any easier with the shuriken idea?

Otherwise let's just close the door to the point it's only open a crack, then Ed will cast Guidance on River (if he's happy to be the one to close it).

Ed will stand by to help hold it closed if necessary. He will also wave the NPCs away around the corner - no point risking them as well.

Aeryk
2016-04-05, 05:56 AM
River goes along with the plan, waiting for Azrin to spark the cloud, but holding some shuriken ready if necessary.

River is on standby for the shuriken plan. Just let me know when/if you need it.

RandomWombat
2016-04-05, 11:22 AM
The shuriken plan would probably require quite a difficult attack roll to strike a piece of flint, at range, at the correct angle to spark without simply knocking it across the floor. You'd probably only get one try, but if that fails you'd still be able to do the Spark plan because of the cloud's slow movement.

I'd say the Reflex DC would be 12 in that case, since you'd have another split second to shut the door before the Shuriken hits.

"I'd advise the same for anyone not taking part in this plan," Sarah says to Edmund over her shoulder as she follows his advice and goes into the next hallway over.

Mossgandra places a fist on her chest in a salute before she goes, "We will return to your aid if this fails." With a quiet bow to the group, Hsmorjo follows her.

Archemist
2016-04-05, 11:31 AM
Azrin pulls a short twig from his pouch and flicks it down the hallway. He pulls his goggles down over his eyes and snaps his fingers in a significant fashion. A spark of flame appears on the twig as Azrin turns and walks purposefully away from the expected explosion.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-05, 06:55 PM
As Azrin walks away like a badass, Ed casts Guidance on River and readies himself to hold the door closed. He slides his bracers up over his hands to protect them from the heat of the explosion.

Lol. Awesome.

So River to make the save?

Is there any way to Aid Another on this save, by helping shut the door or something?

Ed will stand by to help anyway rather than taking cover. It might be a bit stupid, given that he can't really help much, but in character he wouldn't let River and Azrin take all of the risk for this plan.

RandomWombat
2016-04-06, 12:02 AM
There's not really a way to Aid Another, since it's a test of reflexes. If you got there in time to help you'd be succeeding anyways.

Though I will allow a second person to try as well. There's enough room for two people to go for the door without crashing into each other. If one fails, the other may not; better odds and all that.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-06, 02:40 AM
Yeah fair enough. I'll have a go at getting the door closed as well then. I'm guessing I'll only have time for one Guidance spell, so Ed will attempt it un-buffed.

"River!" As the spell goes off Ed lunges for the door, calling to the more agile monk at the same time.

Reflex save: [roll0]

EDIT: Well that was unsurprising. :smalltongue:

Aeryk
2016-04-06, 07:53 AM
River springs into action, moving for the door as well.

Reflex save:[roll0]

RandomWombat
2016-04-06, 01:06 PM
River slams the door shut a split second after a loud 'woosh' follows Azrin's spell. He and Edmund, who presses up against it after, feel the airtight door vibrate with the force of the fireball; it remains solidly shut. They probably won't be getting it open any time soon either, with the air on the other side burned away again. But an explosion like that almost certainly destroyed the cloud.

Cautiously, Mossgandra peeks back into the room. Seeing the plan is successful she beckons the other two and they reenter the room. "It seems the way is clear then."

"Clever plan, Captain. We eliminated the obstacle without expending anything," compliments Sarah, though unaware of the Hero Token used in the process.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-06, 06:53 PM
Ed nods sheepishly at Sarah's compliment, deciding not to mention the expended hero token for now.

He glances around at the group. Still, better to lose the token than risk any casualties fighting that thing. The battle with the crabs and the fireball trap had clearly taken their toll on the disheveled party, and his own burns were still stinging as well.

"Let's take a short break and wait for the hallway to repressurise. If the fog is still there I want to know about it. And if not, it may have dropped another token. Then we'll push on, same marching order as before. Everyone keep your eyes open though. Last time we came across fog like that it was in the corridor before the altar room." As he adds the last part, he gives Azrin and River a meaningful look.

Archemist
2016-04-06, 08:30 PM
"Then we'll push on, same marching order as before. Everyone keep your eyes open though. Last time we came across fog like that it was in the corridor before the altar room." As he adds the last part, he gives Azrin and River a meaningful look.

Azrin pushes his goggles back up and nods. He checks on Botticelli and pulls out a little snack for him... and one for himself as well. "Dried fruit, anyone?" he offers.

Azrin loads up his gun with the silvery-metal bullet. On a whim, he rolls up a couple of powder-only cartridges and stashes them in his pocket.

He seems ready to proceed, if a bit singed around the edges.

RandomWombat
2016-04-06, 09:10 PM
Mossgandra accepts a piece of the offered fruit with a smile and a nod of thanks, since they do not yet share a language. Sarah holds up a hand and shakes her head when offered, keeping a careful eye out for danger the whole time through.

"I have some rations of my own," Hsmorjo answers in Draconic, taking out a few cubes of preserved meat. He politely offers Azrin a piece in reply.

A few minutes pass as the party waits. There is no way to tell how long they must wait, without checking.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-06, 09:32 PM
Ed tries the door every few minutes on his own.

If after twenty minutes the door still won't budge, he'll have everyone help again and take 10 to get it open. If there's still no movement he'll shrug, give up, and proceed onwards.

RandomWombat
2016-04-07, 12:43 PM
After about five minutes, the door opens easily. Edmund's instincts were right, and a small silver token sits on the hallway floor near the door. Just like before, there are no scorch marks or blemishes on the surfaces of the hallway, or even on the token itself.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-07, 09:57 PM
Ed nods in approval, holding his breath to step into the corridor and pick up the token. Moving back to the puzzle room, he shuts the door firmly behind him and exhales. He steps over to River and hands him the token.

"Alright everyone, let's move on. River, you should take this - you'll be up front scouting ahead. Everyone else in marching order behind. Let's go."

He shoulders his pack, taking his shield in his left hand and leaving his right hand empty, and steps forward back up the corridor.

Groovy. That now makes two tokens in party inventory, one of which is back in the entrance room with Pomutiki. No one has any other tokens currently right? Ed has none, but that's fine, it's someone else's turn to take them.

I'd suggest someone take the other one so it's actually being carried, ready to be used, rather than party inventory. Archy? B?

RandomWombat
2016-04-10, 11:27 AM
At the same location as the swarm once was on the hallway, the party now finds a new offshoot from the main corridor. It was not there before, or perhaps the swarm was simply covering it up. Past that, the hallway doesn't go on for too long before ending in another door. Checking around the corner reveals a second door at the end of the offshoot hallway.

Archemist
2016-04-10, 02:05 PM
Checking around the corner reveals a second door at the end of the offshoot hallway.

"Straight? or the side-room? I admit I'm a little curious what that cloud was guarding."

I'm ok with B or Aeryk taking the coin; most of Azrin's more significant effects are forcing the enemy to roll, not me. And it's probably less important if Azrin dies, whereas Ed keeping 2 on him might go a decent way to keeping us all from wiping, so I'm totally ok with him holding both too.

Aeryk
2016-04-10, 09:00 PM
River accepts the token, then scouts on ahead, waiting on everyone else to decide which path they should take, though he is just as curious as Azrin about the previously hidden path.

River wil gladly take the hero token if no one else needs it, though on my sheet I have myself marked as having one already, which I think is accurate, though I don't recall at what point I got it, so it very well could be a mistake?

H. Von Studley
2016-04-11, 12:01 AM
Ed nods to Azrin, also curious. He follows River ahead to the side tunnel.

Why don't we aim for all of us to have at least one and then go from there?

Aeryk
2016-04-11, 08:17 AM
Once everyone is ready to go, River advances cautiously down the side hall.

Sounds good to me. What is everyone's Hero Point count right now?

RandomWombat
2016-04-11, 06:20 PM
Everyone crosses the distance to the side-door without incident. There is nothing immediately suspicious about the door itself, but River notices tiny holes in the corners on either side of it.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-11, 07:51 PM
If River communicates that:
Ed backs up away from the door. "So are these the light sensing holes, the sound sensing holes, or the holes that pump explosive toxic gas? Or perhaps a new kind altogether?"

He reaches into his pack for a piton and his length of rope, tying off the piton to the end and lobbing it towards the top left hole.

Ed currently has no tokens.

Archemist
2016-04-11, 08:28 PM
No tokens on Azrin. He'll go ahead and use Engineering again on the little holes, checking size, shape, number, etc. [roll0]

Azrin peers at the holes but backs up when the Captain seems intent on chucking a piton at them. He relays any pertinent observations.

Aeryk
2016-04-11, 09:17 PM
River immediately alerts everyone to the presence of the holes. Once Ed pulls the piton out, he backs away from the holes and holds his breath ready for anything (hopefully).

Ok, well assuming my sheet is accurate, whoever wants that new token can take it :) Also, does River see anything down the hall past the holes?

RandomWombat
2016-04-12, 01:55 PM
The holes are at the end of the hall, in the corners on either side of the door.

Azrin counts eight of the holes, which from what we can tell look deep and are angle diagonally, pointed towards the area directly in front of the door. When Edmund tosses the piton at them, nothing happens.

Looking more closely, Azrin recognizes a very slight lump in the floor before them. His intuition tells him it must be a hidden pressure plate, to detect someone standing there.

Archemist
2016-04-12, 02:13 PM
Looking more closely, Azrin recognizes a very slight lump in the floor before them. His intuition tells him it must be a hidden pressure plate, to detect someone standing there.

Azrin points this out to the others and cautions them not to step there. "Perhaps we can get the door open without standing in that particular spot - I'm guessing something arrow-like comes out of the holes to hit whatever's there."

H. Von Studley
2016-04-12, 06:21 PM
Ed peers more closely as Azrin points out the pressure plate. "Thats new. I think you're right. Although I suppose it doesn't have to be arrows. Could be a jet of fire, or a stream of toxic gas."

Is it possible to go around RW? Would opening the door pull it over the plate?

I suppose another option would be set it off from afar and hope this ones doesn't reset, or to cover up all the holes with something before we attempt the door.

RandomWombat
2016-04-13, 12:40 AM
The door opens inwards, so it wouldn't get caught on the lump. The lump is fairly large, but it would only take a basic DC 5 Acrobatics check to move around it without tripping it accidentally, now that the group knows it's there.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-13, 03:03 AM
Satisfied, Ed unties the piton and replaces it and the rope. He takes a minute to shrug out of his poorly-made chain shirt again, casts Guidance on the party and leaps over the pressure plate to the door.

Let's go across in our standard marching order.

Ed will cast Guidance for anyone who wants it (including himself) although I daresay most of the group will succeed on a 1 anyway.

With no armor check penalty, plus Guidance, Ed will also succeed on a 1.

RandomWombat
2016-04-13, 12:29 PM
There's only enough room for two people to fit comfortably on the other side of the plate, so for the entire group to get across without tripping it they'll need to start filing into the next room.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-13, 09:43 PM
Once Ed gets across (with River I think?) he'll quickly don the chain shirt again and enter the next room, shield in hand. That's assuming we can't hear anything through the door.

Aeryk
2016-04-13, 09:47 PM
River advances side by side with Ed into the next room, keeping his guard up and his eyes sharp.

RandomWombat
2016-04-14, 11:26 AM
Getting ready as quickly as he can (presumably with River's help), Edmund leads the monk into the next room. It is about the size of the room with the maze puzzle, but this one features a tree in the center of the room, growing impossibly out of the metal. Its bark is a deep red color, but decidedly wooden, not any odd material. There are no leaves at all on the tree's crooked, gnarled branches.

Archemist
2016-04-14, 10:30 PM
Azrin follows the other two in, of course, and marvels at the strange tree. He decides to see if its aura is the same sort of magic as the metal everything else here is made of.

Detecting Magic, and seeing if there are any stand-out spots in the room.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-14, 11:12 PM
Ed marvels at the strange tree and moves to help the others over the pressure plate. Once everyone is across he moves around the tree, examining it from all angles.

Cool. I certainly wasn't expecting that. Are there any other details apparent upon closer inspection?

Aeryk
2016-04-15, 10:10 AM
River looks curiously at the tree, but keeps his distance and makes an inspection of the rest of the room.

Taking 10 on perception as everyone files in for 21. Looking for buttons, holes, lasers, pressure plates... the usual metal death trap plane stuff.

RandomWombat
2016-04-15, 12:59 PM
River notices that the ceiling is rippling subtly. Edmund circles the tree and at the 'back' of it he finds a twisted knot in the trunk, leaking sap the color of fresh blood.

Looking through his magical vision, Azrin examines the tree closely. It has a minor aura of evocation, and he senses force-based magic. It is decidedly different from the rest of this place.

Hsmorjo and Sarah file in behind them, and Sarah immediately joins Edmund and Azrin, marveling at the thing. Just as she's about to open her mouth to say something, there is a *shnk* of blades and a yelp from behind them. Mossgandra stumbles into the room, the spears retreating back into the wall after she triggered the pressure plate by accident. One of them punctured her shoulder, but the wound shimmers with smoky grey energy. It seems Sarah's False Life spell completely nullified any damage; Mossgandra reaches to touch the wound, but draws her hand nervously away. With a smirk of satisfaction, Sarah turns to Azrin to finish what she was saying, in Draconic, "A magnificent specimen, no?" She paces around the trunk, following Edmund. She reaches out to hold a hand near its surface, "Feel the air here, you can feel the entire tree vibrating."

Archemist
2016-04-15, 01:48 PM
Looking through his magical vision, Azrin examines the tree closely. It has a minor aura of evocation, and he senses force-based magic. It is decidedly different from the rest of this place.

With a smirk of satisfaction, Sarah turns to Azrin to finish what she was saying, in Draconic, "A magnificent specimen, no?" She paces around the trunk, following Edmund. She reaches out to hold a hand near its surface, "Feel the air here, you can feel the entire tree vibrating."

Azrin replies to Sarah, "Indeed, a magnificent specimen... but of what? I don't think I've ever seen this kind of tree. It seems to be surrounded by some sort of force magic, maybe a protective barrier? Do you know what it does? We've never found anything alive in this land before."

RandomWombat
2016-04-15, 03:16 PM
"Afraid not, my dear. I would hope to find something in one of your peoples' libraries once we make landfall," answers the noble wizardess, withdrawing her hand as she approaches the leaking sap. "I cannot be certain what this does either. It has the same type of magical aura as the rest of the tree, but subtly different. A different force effect perhaps?"

H. Von Studley
2016-04-16, 05:22 AM
Ed looks over in alarm as Mossgandra springs the trap then speaks in Ulselandic. "You alright?"

Satisfied that Sarah's spell prevented any real harm, he moves over to stand with her and Azrin and flashes the tree and knot with Detect Magic, asking Gorum for aid.

"Any ideas? The knot and the sap intrigue me. It looks as though the tree is bleeding. Do you think it could be sick? I'm not exactly a nature expert, but the sap and the lack of leaves do strike me as odd. If nothing else we should try to collect a sample for Orrick."

Don't know if it's relevant, but I might try a Spellcraft check (with Guidance) based on the Detect Magic result:

1d20+8

RandomWombat
2016-04-17, 11:34 AM
Sadly, too low to get any details.

"It only startled me, but thank you," Mossgandra answers, looking at her shoulder once more time before taking up a lookout position at the door, in case more danger follows them.

Aeryk
2016-04-17, 12:42 PM
Curious, River walks up one of the side walls (assuming he can still do that in this room) to investigate the rippling celing. "Look at this," he calls down to everyone else. He grabs one of his shuriken and slowly reaches out to the celing to touch it, ready to snap it back if anything happens.

brandnewb
2016-04-17, 08:58 PM
Olivin also cautiously approaches the tree, and scans the branches looking to see if there is anything of interest hidden up above. He tries to assess the tree based on what he knows about nature. [roll0]. He will communicate whatever he knows to the group.

RandomWombat
2016-04-18, 12:26 AM
Olivin recalls something about these trees normally growing underground. It isn't his area of expertise, but he knows that the materials is not actually wood, being fungal in nature.

Someone with Knowledge (Dungeoneering) could tell more.

River touches the rippling ceiling with his shuriken, and the ripples running outwards from the tree flow around the metal tip like water lapping around a rock at the beach.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-18, 12:40 AM
Ed eyes the ripples on the ceiling with surprise.

Curious, he removes the burnt piton from his bag, steps back from the tree and then lobs the blackened metal up and away forcefully towards the ceiling. He tries to aim for the central point, where the ripples seem to emanate from.

RandomWombat
2016-04-18, 11:39 AM
The piton sails upwards and strikes the ripples as though hitting the surface of water, submerging for a moment. It then floats back down to the surface and hangs there. The outward ripples start to cause it to drift away towards one of the walls.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-19, 12:55 AM
A slow grin spreads across his face as Edmund eyes the piton bobbing on the ceiling. "This I have to see," he mutters to himself, before dropping his pack to the floor.

He climbs the wall up next to River and hesitantly touches the surface of the ceiling.

If it doesn't hurt, and if it seems deep:

Ed takes off his jacket and throws it across his bag, and then begins kicking out of his heavy boots. "Azrin, think you could manage another of those air bubble spells for me?"

After about a minute his armor, bag and weapons are piled neatly on the floor next to the wall and Ed stands before the party in a pair of thin, knee-length breeches. His broad chest bears an array of small nicks and scars, and a long jagged line runs across his stomach and up to his hip - clearly the work of some pretty hasty battlefield stitches. The ugliest by far though is a thick, silvery-white scar running across the back of his left ankle. The prominent raised mark practically shines in the otherworldy reflected light of the metal plane.

Strapped to his left wrist is a strange sheath, bearing a long slim dagger previously hidden by his clothes. A dark tattoo of a sword half-buried in a mountain is emblazoned on his right forearm, and a similar iron symbol hangs from a cord at his neck.

He seems much younger without all the armor and weapons weighing him down, especially as he grins excitedly. As Azrin casts the hex he ties a rope to his waist and climbs the wall up next to River, handing the monk the other end of the lifeline.

"If I tug on the line, or if I'm gone for more than a minute or two, pull me back to the surface."

With a deep breath and muttered prayer, he flashes another grin and pushes up into the liquid-like ceiling.

I can't resist, the whole liquid ceiling thing is way too cool not to go for a swim. :smalltongue:

So Guidance plus Swim check if necessary: [roll0]

Aeryk
2016-04-19, 06:46 AM
River takes the rope uncertainly, but nods nonetheless. "Yes sir. Sir, I... I don't think this is a good idea. But I trust your judgment. Be careful."

Archemist
2016-04-19, 10:10 AM
A slow grin spreads across his face as Edmund eyes the piton bobbing on the ceiling. "This I have to see," he mutters to himself, before dropping his pack to the floor.

Ed takes off his jacket and throws it across his bag, and then begins kicking out of his heavy boots. "Azrin, think you could manage another of those air bubble spells for me?"

As Azrin casts the hex he ties a rope to his waist and climbs the wall up next to River, handing the monk the other end of the lifeline.

"If I tug on the line, or if I'm gone for more than a minute or two, pull me back to the surface."

With a deep breath and muttered prayer, he flashes another grin and pushes up into the liquid-like ceiling.

"It... well, it doesn't quite work that way, Sir. It's like giving you gills. If the ceiling were water, you could breathe it, but I don't think my magic would let you breathe metal. I'll happily cast it on you anyhow - you could bring along your waterskin and 'breathe' out of that, if you like.

"And around here, really, you never know when the room might start filling up with water or something."

brandnewb
2016-04-19, 06:47 PM
Olivin watches the antics of the Captain with a grin. Being a born sailor he I always one for for swim, however, call him old fashion he usually tries to limit his swimming to water. None the less he walks up a begins getting ready to go for a swim himself. In case the Captain needs help.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-20, 01:40 AM
"It... well, it doesn't quite work that way, Sir. It's like giving you gills. If the ceiling were water, you could breathe it, but I don't think my magic would let you breathe metal. I'll happily cast it on you anyhow - you could bring along your waterskin and 'breathe' out of that, if you like.

"And around here, really, you never know when the room might start filling up with water or something."

"Based on the way it reacted to the shuriken and piton, I'd hoped that whatever the ceiling is made out of would behave similarly to water, and that the spell would function normally. The waterskin idea is definitely better though."

Before diving in, Ed takes his empty waterskin, conjures a small amount of water inside and presses it to his lips, hanging on with his teeth.

RandomWombat
2016-04-20, 06:46 PM
Ascending the wall and submerging (upmerging?) himself in the liquid metal, Edmund finds the texture on his skin to be not unlike that of mud. The 'perspective' of gravity slowly changes and it's a little disorienting at first. He cannot see, but the substance does not invade or sting his eyes; his vision is completely blocked by the sight of the metal. The universal lighting of this place allows him to see the silver color even when light should logically not be able to reach his eyes. All around him Edmund can feel the liquid vibrating slightly, particularly where the branches of the tree are close below the surface.

Swimming deeper up into the room, Ed discovers that although it feels like mud, the metal gives way like water. Only when he touches up on the true ceiling of the room does it stop giving way. Feeling around, his hand closes on what feels like a handle.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-20, 07:02 PM
Floating blind and upside down, Ed shrugs to himself. Well, made it this far...

He takes a firm hold of the handle and attempts to open it, swinging his body against the wall beside it for cover.

RandomWombat
2016-04-21, 11:27 AM
What appears to be a trapdoor or hatch opens slowly, against the resistance of the 'water'. There is a small square hole leading elsewhere, but Edmund cannot see where until he goes through.

brandnewb
2016-04-21, 07:12 PM
"Sir, before you going swimming down there lets tie a rescue line to you. Give it a distinct 3 pulls when you need to be pulled out. That way we can get you back to us quickly. Olivin suggests.

Aeryk
2016-04-21, 07:15 PM
"Sir, before you going swimming down there lets tie a rescue line to you. Give it a distinct 3 pulls when you need to be pulled out. That way we can get you back to us quickly. Olivin suggests.

Hate to spoil it for you man, but this already got taken care of :P

H. Von Studley
2016-04-21, 07:55 PM
Ed reaches out with both hands, gripping the sides of the trapdoor and kicking a little as he pulls himself through the hole.

RandomWombat
2016-04-23, 11:41 AM
Edmund emerges into a perfectly spherical room, aside from the hatch at the 'bottom'. It has about a twenty-foot radius, and in the center above his head floats a glass vial filled with a silvery liquid.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-23, 08:02 PM
Is Ed still "underwater"? If so he will swim up and grab the vial and then head back to the others. If not he'll swim back down to report to the party, fetch one of our fishing nets and go back up to snag the vial out of mid-air.

RandomWombat
2016-04-24, 08:51 PM
The sphere room is not 'underwater', no.

Retrieving the fishing net from before, Ed tries to toss it up and loop it over the vial, but it refuses to budge. In fact, trying to pull it to him with the net, Ed accidentally rips a hole in the tool.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-25, 08:31 AM
Ed frowns at the ruined net in his hands, then scans the room and the vial with Detect Magic. Once that's done, he begins carefully examining the room for any other features of note.

Ed's been down and back at this point, so anyone who wants to join him in the spherical room should feel free. I'm not sure how to get this thing down. Maybe electricity might disrupt whatever force is holding it in mid-air, but who knows?

RandomWombat
2016-04-25, 09:41 PM
Edmund senses magic throughout the entire room as usual. The vial stands out however; the glass is enchanted with an effect similar to that of an immovable rod. It would take incredible force to move the object from its place.

Archemist
2016-04-25, 09:51 PM
Edmund senses magic throughout the entire room as usual. The vial stands out however; the glass is enchanted with an effect similar to that of an immovable rod. It would take incredible force to move the object from its place.

When Azrin hears the description he'll say, "I'd be hesitant about electricity while swimming in a liquid metal lake. But there must be some trick to retrieving it. We already killed the cloud guarding the room, and that's freed up some of the treasures here in the past. Hmm. Maybe if we ask the tree politely?"

H. Von Studley
2016-04-26, 12:34 AM
"I agree, everything else has been a deliberate challenge. This seems like another. Your keep working on the tree angle - I've got another idea that might work."

Ed moves up the wall to the top of the room, taking his full waterskin and an empty flask. "I want to try a little experiment to see how the gravity behaves. The glass vial may be locked in place, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the liquid is too."

Standing upside down on the ceiling, Ed attempts to pour the waterskin into the flask.

Okay, so I'm thinking that we might be able to leave the vial where it is and just get the liquid inside. Ideally we'd have a syringe or something, but without that we might be able to use the funky gravity.

If Ed gets above the vial, casts Enlarge Person to extend his reach and then takes a hold of the vial, I'm hoping it would then become his attended object for the purposes of the gravity effect. Gravity would then reverse for the vial, causing the liquid to pour out of the top and into Ed's flask.

At least, that's how I hope it would work. I'm not totally sure, so Ed is experimenting with water first to see if he can get it to pour upside-down.

In case I'm not explaining this properly, check out my awesome picture below: :smalltongue:

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag301/Von_Studley/Mobile%20Uploads/20160426_145531_zps1671lgek.jpg

Aeryk
2016-04-26, 05:52 AM
River attends Ed and the rest of the group to watch the situation with the vial. He stands by, watching in mild confusion. Although very interesting, he'll be happy to leave this strange, nonsensical placeThis picture is awesome. That is all.

RandomWombat
2016-04-26, 10:39 PM
Tipping the waterskin into the vial, the liquid flows 'down' out of the container, but then spills down around the waterskin once it leaves the skin. By putting the two directly in contact, Edmund is able to get the water into the flask, however, where it comes to rest normally for his subjective gravity. His plan seems to be working so far.

Proceed with the Enlarge Person plan and 'pour' the liquid into his flask?

H. Von Studley
2016-04-26, 10:43 PM
Noting the flow of the water with a slightly disoriented smile, Ed proceeds back up to the spherical room to try the plan for real. He draws on his domain power to increase his size, remembering that Orrick's Enlarge extract still hangs from his belt. Back with his pants, anyway.

RandomWombat
2016-04-26, 11:48 PM
Growing larger, Edmund sets the flask against the opening of the vial before grabbing it. The liquid flows smoothly into the flask he brought.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-27, 12:04 AM
Ed stoppers the flask with a grin, dispels his spell and swims back down to the others.

Touching down once more in the tree room, he holds the potion up to the light, examining it closely with Detect Magic, then offers it around to the others for their opinions.

As they study the liquid, he checks over his body to see if swimming through the metallic substance has had any noticeable effect. Once done he dresses again and picks up his gear.

He tries to take a sample of the strange tree sap in one of the empty extract bottles, then turns to leave.

"Does anyone have anything else they want to try with this tree thing? I'd guess that the force magic is what was keeping the liquid ceiling and the vial in place, but otherwise I'm out of ideas."

Rolling Spellcraft with Guidance to identify whatever was in the vial.

[roll0]

Man, I really hope that the liquid is the valuable part, not the bottle itself. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Yep, Ed may need some help with this one.

RandomWombat
2016-04-27, 12:36 PM
Edmund can't seem to make out what the liquid is in the midst of so much magic around him. He is able to gather a sample of the sap, however. The bottle he stores it in thrums in his hands, and he can feel the slight vibration.

Exiting the liquid metal seems to leave all of it behind, with none clinging to him.

Archemist
2016-04-27, 01:26 PM
Azrin examines the liquid from the flask and the vial of sap, using his glowing eyes and making little gestures in the air, pinching his thumb and forefinger together and then apart while he squints at the containers.

He seems surprised that none of the metal liquid stuck to the captain after his swim. "Well, at least you don't have to worry about whether you remembered a towel. A towel, by the way, is about the most massively useful thing a seafarer can have."

"We haven't had much luck mining the wall-material here, but do you think we could collect some of the liquid from the ceiling? I wonder if it's the same as the silvery liquid from the stationary vial?"

If it were that easy, of course, I have no idea why it'd be in its own little vial. :smallsmile:
Azrin spellcraft checks: Sap: [roll0] Silvery liquid: [roll1]

RandomWombat
2016-04-27, 02:58 PM
Peering closely at the sap, Azrin can't quite tell what it does, but it certainly does something. The silver liquid, however, he gets a sense for. Consuming the substance would have it reinforce the imbiber's body, helping to expunge poisons and disease.

The liquid in the vial grants the user a permanent +4 on saves against poison and disease; the bonus also applies to drugs and addictions.

Archemist
2016-04-27, 03:08 PM
Peering closely at the sap, Azrin can't quite tell what it does, but it certainly does something. The silver liquid, however, he gets a sense for. Consuming the substance would have it reinforce the imbiber's body, helping to expunge poisons and disease.

The liquid in the vial grants the user a permanent +4 on saves against poison and disease; the bonus also applies to drugs and addictions.

Azrin relays as much to the others, adding, "Hmm, the sap definitely seems pretty potent. This potion, too... most of the effects of our potions wear off pretty quickly, but this seems like it would have a very long-lasting effect - once it was infused in you, it might never leave. That'd be okay, though, as you'd probably live a healthier life for it."

H. Von Studley
2016-04-27, 07:10 PM
Ed looks over at Azrin, impressed. "Interesting. Powerful indeed."

He glances over at the sap with renewed interest, attempting to analyse it more closely. If possible, he also attempts to gather more of the sap to bring with them.

That's awesome. Permanent +4? Cool power. I think you should take it Archy - the rest of us have pretty decent Fort saves anyway, but yours will fall behind as you continue in Witch.

Good idea rolling for the sap - I might have a go as well, although Azrin has the better check.

Spellcraft (Guidance): [roll0]

EDIT: Hot and cold with these Spellcraft rolls apparently.

RandomWombat
2016-04-28, 12:53 PM
Taking a look at the sap that had Azrin stumped, Edmund senses that the substance is quite potent. Literally full of potential energy. The sap hums with motion. If the flask was left unattended on a table it would probably vibrate right off of it within the minute. Taking another bottle, he tries to gather another sample of the sap, but it isn't producing the stuff fast enough. It would probably take another day or so to gather enough to be useful.

This Agitation Sap can be smeared onto something to remove it from a state of suspended animation. Yes, that includes deactivating things like Immovable Rods. You managed to work around the puzzle pretty well even without it though, that gravity idea was clever. :smallamused:

The constant motion of the sap also makes it a bit warm. If its container was used to keep warm, it would grant a +1 to rolls against environmental cold damage.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-28, 08:25 PM
Ed smiles, realising the power of the sap. He explains its purpose to the others and then gathers his things.

"Well, I think we've covered this room well enough. Let's move on. We've still got to see what's at the other end of the main tunnel. River, you take the lead."

Woops, probably should have investigated the sap more closely first. Ah well, it's got a pretty interesting function. Who knows, it just might come in handy later for something.

I should have thought of this earlier - RW, since we're not in combat can Ed take 10 to jump over the pressure plate?

brandnewb
2016-04-28, 09:10 PM
Olivin listens to the conversation with interest. "I have seen more wonders in the short time I have been traveling with you folks than I have in my entire life previously." Olivin eyes the tree up and down carefully, "See any seeds or nuts? If we could plant a few of these think of how useful that would be."

Olivin will take any see like objects he sees.

RandomWombat
2016-04-28, 11:53 PM
Since everyone has been through the trap once already, they can take 10 on the way back.

Olivin is unable to find anything like a seed. Being as the 'tree' is more fungal than plant in nature, it must reproduce through spores or branching out with its root system. This place would be completely in control of how and where it could grow, from what the group has seen so far. If anything available might contain spores to grow a new tree, it would be the sap-like substance Edmund had taken.

Everyone knows about the trap and how it worked now, so they cross over easily. There is only one way to go now, unless they want to backtrack.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-29, 05:13 AM
Ed jumps over the pressure pad, draws his shield and pushes forward up the unexplored corridor.

RandomWombat
2016-04-29, 12:43 PM
There is a door here.

Examinations reveal no traps. The door does not seem locked either.

H. Von Studley
2016-04-30, 01:20 AM
Readying his shield in front of him, Ed quietly opens the door and scans the room.

brandnewb
2016-05-01, 08:24 AM
Olivin follows carefully behind the captain with Whip ready in hand.

Archemist
2016-05-01, 07:39 PM
Musket at the ready, Azrin feels the group has this door thing down pretty well. Except when it blows up in their faces.

RandomWombat
2016-05-01, 09:56 PM
The room beyond the door is small, and plain. In a corner analogous to the one in the room they initially entered through is a portal leading back to the cargo hold they came in through. Pomutiki is looking down into the hole, but doesn't seem to register the group being there. Somehow this portal has two entrances on this side. It may be best not to think about what would happen if two people exited through either one at the same time and wound up occupying the same point in space.

H. Von Studley
2016-05-02, 01:11 AM
Ed looks up at the portal, and for a moment disappointment flashes across his face. He glances down at his left leg, the scar throbbing slightly from the morning's exertions. He had hoped the dimension might hold some cure for the wound.

Steeling himself, he replaces his shield back onto its hook on his pack and clambers back up through the portal. He turns to help the others climb out behind him, speaking to Pomutiki over his shoulder as he does so.

"Good to see you again Pomutiki. I think we've explored as much of the place as we can. Largely similar to the last few times, although with new challenges. It seems they're becoming more difficult."

"Everything alright up here? How close are we to port?"

RandomWombat
2016-05-02, 03:48 PM
"Hello hello, cap'n. She's only been a little under an hour up here, and no luck getting any samples," Pomutiki tries to help Edmund climb up as he enters the room, but doesn't really have any effect. It's the thought that counts?

Reed and Dean are nearby, talking with one of the sailors from this ship. "Captain," Reed addresses him when he climbs out. "You all have some injuries, you good?"

After exiting into the cargo hold, Hsmorjo takes a seat on one of the crates of supplies, trying not to touch his burns. His eyes are unblinking as always, having only a clear film that flicks over them in place of an opaque eyelid, but his eyes go out of focus and his posture relaxes. Seems he's meditating to ward off the pain. Mossgandra takes a seat near him, but doesn't disturb him. "That place was more than I bargained for. Were your previous visits this dangerous?" she asks in Ulselandic, to those who speak it.

"I can attest to that, yes," Sarah adds in as she examines the rips and burns in her clothing, and her own injuries. She winces as she prods one of the burns, though she took the least of the blast. "A shame arcane magic has so few options for healing. Some can do it with the blood of devils or angels, but conjuring was never my favored school. I dislike relying on forces that have their own agenda."

Archemist
2016-05-02, 04:43 PM
Reed and Dean are nearby, talking with one of the sailors from this ship. [COLOR="#008000"]"Captain," Reed addresses him when he climbs out. "You all have some injuries, you good?"

"A shame arcane magic has so few options for healing. Some can do it with the blood of devils or angels, but conjuring was never my favored school. I dislike relying on forces that have their own agenda."

Azrin, coming back on board ship, looks like a sailor relieved to be back on dry land. He kneels on the deck and takes a few deep breaths.

"Injured, yes. Singed a bit more than a good steak should be. And this is after using my own little bit of healing power already," he says, with a knowing nod to Sarah. "I didn't find it too hard to learn from the Captain, but then again my magic isn't much like anybody else's - a dash of fire's warmth, a rinse with water, a little electrical shock to speed up the blood's own healing - I found it required about half some repeated experiments and about half a good amount of luck.

"Besides, who needs demigods or demons when you've got a lucky pet turtle?"

Azrin smiles and draws out Botticelli, whose silver shell looks bright in the orc-ship's hold, as though he were a strange artifact from the dimension they just left. Addressing Botticelli, Azrin adds, "See? Back in the world again."

He checks in with Pomutiki as well, making sure there are no more crew inside the mirror plane. "In the past, once we've left, the gateway disappears - wouldn't want anyone to get stuck."

brandnewb
2016-05-02, 08:04 PM
Olivin wordlessly climbs his way out of the hole as well. He does not say much once he is back in the ship. He frowns at his ruined clothing. Thankfully he was wearing simple sailor cloths for working, the same cloths he always wears. He looks over his possessions and finding his 2 whips and sword in place he is content to seek some medical treatment. At least clean his wounds and get some rest.

H. Von Studley
2016-05-02, 10:16 PM
"Hello hello, cap'n. She's only been a little under an hour up here, and no luck getting any samples," Pomutiki tries to help Edmund climb up as he enters the room, but doesn't really have any effect. It's the thought that counts?

Reed and Dean are nearby, talking with one of the sailors from this ship. "Captain," Reed addresses him when he climbs out. "You all have some injuries, you good?"

Ed shakes his head at Reed. "Nothing life-threatening. It was a bit hairy in parts, but everyone's in one piece. Go organise the sub to get us all back over to the Fog again, and then you should all get some rest before we get into port. The three of you have had a long night. Thanks for pushing through, however fruitless"

After exiting into the cargo hold, Hsmorjo takes a seat on one of the crates of supplies, trying not to touch his burns. His eyes are unblinking as always, having only a clear film that flicks over them in place of an opaque eyelid, but his eyes go out of focus and his posture relaxes. Seems he's meditating to ward off the pain. Mossgandra takes a seat near him, but doesn't disturb him. "That place was more than I bargained for. Were your previous visits this dangerous?" she asks in Ulselandic, to those who speak it.

"I can attest to that, yes," Sarah adds in as she examines the rips and burns in her clothing, and her own injuries. She winces as she prods one of the burns, though she took the least of the blast. "A shame arcane magic has so few options for healing. Some can do it with the blood of devils or angels, but conjuring was never my favored school. I dislike relying on forces that have their own agenda."

The corner of his mouth creases into a smile. "Oh yeah? Tell that to Gentius next time you're mind-controlling him," he teases, before stepping over to Hsmorjo.

"Sorry to interrupt, but this should help with the pain."

Ed leans down, touching the Nagaji's shoulder and letting healing magic flow into his burns. "It was touch and go back there for a while. I thought we'd lost you. You alright?"

Leaning back, Ed holds out his hand. His tattoo flashes as he channels energy and a wave of white light washes over the party, restoring some of their wounds.

."Besides, who needs demigods or demons when you've got a lucky pet turtle?"[/COLOR]

Azrin smiles and draws out Botticelli, whose silver shell looks bright in the orc-ship's hold, as though he were a strange artifact from the dimension they just left.

Ed listens curiously as Azrin describes his magic, nodding occasionally. They had discussed their different magic when they had been working through the teaching scrolls together, but Ed hadn't heard the source of the gnome's power described like this before.

He smiles as the turtle is produced. "Good to see Botticelli looking as resilient as ever."

Last Channel Energy: [roll0] HP for all party members.

And converting Magic Weapons into another CLW for Hsmorjo.

CLW: [roll1]

RandomWombat
2016-05-03, 12:06 AM
"Nope, we're all here," Pomutiki answers Azrin; which is good, because the portal is very gone. "Maybe it doesn't close until we're all back anyways?"

"You got it, me and Dean will take care of getting the sub ready. Oh, and Mr. Bluestone," Reed stops and approaches Azrin at the former portal site. "I've been thinking, and crossbows haven't done me much good. Think you could show me how to use those gun things?"

Hsmorjo breathes a little easier as Edmund's healing flows through him, and the room. He makes a sitting bow and thanks Edmund in Ulselandic, "Thank you. I apologize that I could not be more help in that place."

"Nonsense. Your healing might not be as powerful as the Captain Edmund's, but every bit helps," Mossgandra cuts in.

Pausing as she makes her way back outside, Sarah glances back at Edmund. She snickers, "Point. But I don't plan on keeping any Blessed Strix around. Just exploit a convenient weakness." With that she returns to the deck, followed by Dean.

H. Von Studley
2016-05-03, 07:36 AM
Hsmorjo breathes a little easier as Edmund's healing flows through him, and the room. He makes a sitting bow and thanks Edmund in Ulselandic, "Thank you. I apologize that I could not be more help in that place."

"Nonsense. Your healing might not be as powerful as the Captain Edmund's, but every bit helps," Mossgandra cuts in.

Ed nods. "Absolutely. Your healing skills were invaluable."

Pausing as she makes her way back outside, Sarah glances back at Edmund. She snickers, "Point. But I don't plan on keeping any Blessed Strix around. Just exploit a convenient weakness." With that she returns to the deck, followed by Dean.

Edmund smiles and offers a mock bow, then follows her out the door.

The smile fades a little as he makes the trip back to the Fog and looks for Alphonse at the the helm. Too many loose ends niggled in the back of his mind. Their mission had been successful - the refugees had been saved and not one of their ships had been lost - but still, the Strix had prevailed. Then there was the mystery behind the Gorum amulet that Robert had won, the stories of the Emperor on the other continent, the continued resurgence of the silver dimensions and now this strange new ki power inside him. Edmund's sets his jaw and stares out over the waves. They would get to the bottom of it all. And if Stalling held any answers, they would find them there soon.

Ed takes the helm and pushes the Fog onwards towards it home port.

RandomWombat
2016-05-03, 02:17 PM
Anyone who needs more healing can help themselves to Orrick's leftover extracts, and roll for his Treat Deadly Wounds 1/person. It's at +6, or +10 if you use charges from his/the Fog's healing supplies.

The ship will arrive at port this evening, if there's anything else anyone wants to do on board before then.

Archemist
2016-05-03, 03:02 PM
"Nope, we're all here," Pomutiki answers Azrin; which is good, because the portal is very gone. "Maybe it doesn't close until we're all back anyways?"

"You got it, me and Dean will take care of getting the sub ready. Oh, and Mr. Bluestone," Reed stops and approaches Azrin at the former portal site. "I've been thinking, and crossbows haven't done me much good. Think you could show me how to use those gun things?"

To Pomutiki, Azrin says simply, "Good. And it'd be nice if the portals were that considerate - the magic in that place often seems very indifferent to us."

When Reed chimes in, Azrin looks up at him and his eyebrows raise in surprise. "Why, certainly! I even happen to have a second gun at the moment. They can be finicky, maybe even more so than crossbows, unfortunately. But I'd be happy to teach you the basics, and maybe when we're back in the capital we can buy you one that's a little more... you-sized."

Taking a level in Gunslinger, perhaps? Sounds fun. Let me know if you'd like me to "permanent loan" the pistol to him, or somesuch.

Azrin should be ok after just normal rest-healing tonight. That last channel was a good one.

RandomWombat
2016-05-03, 06:46 PM
Not Gunslinger, at least not yet, but he's taking EWP: Firearms.

"Finicky, maybe, but they seem to punch through armor real nice," Reed comments as he (and presumably the rest of them) head up as well. "Frankly I think this crossbow of mine is just cursed, or defective. Wouldn't be surprised, they're the standard bulk stuff you churn out and give to recruits. No heart put into them, you know? Not like those guns, from what I've seen of you tinkering with them, each and every one is really involved in its manufacture. As a blacksmith that's something I can respect."

Archemist
2016-05-03, 08:26 PM
COLOR="#008000"]"Finicky, maybe, but they seem to punch through armor real nice,"[/COLOR] Reed comments as he (and presumably the rest of them) head up as well. "Frankly I think this crossbow of mine is just cursed, or defective. Wouldn't be surprised, they're the standard bulk stuff you churn out and give to recruits. No heart put into them, you know? Not like those guns, from what I've seen of you tinkering with them, each and every one is really involved in its manufacture. As a blacksmith that's something I can respect."

"Aye, they do pack a punch. Your smithing will come in handy, I'm sure; that's how I got into it, too, tinkering at my shop in between shoeing horses and the occasional helmet or sword. Eventually I learned to mix my own gunpowder as well; that may be more advanced but if you swing by while we're in port I'll see about getting you a discount on the ready-to-fire stuff.

"And it's the way the wind is blowing, so to speak - as Pomutiki can probably affirm, in not too many years the 'standard' weapon for soldiers may well be a gun. But we'll get you one you can be proud of for years to come."

Aeryk
2016-05-03, 09:11 PM
River quietly exits the portal with everyone else, opting not to talk to anyone. Happy to be out of the strange metallic dimension and back onto the familiar deck of the Fog he strolls up onto the poop deck and breathes deeply of the salty air as he scans the horizon. The entire ordeal was very mysterious to him, too lofty to grasp, though it left him pondering the meaning of it all and made him thirst to see more of the world. Surely he had only just scratched the surface of the marvels that lay in wait ahead of him. Perhaps upon his return to Stalling he would see if Master Rai knew anything about the metal dimension. For the moment it would simply have to be enough to meditate on it.

Wondering if when we make port I can start out with some Wayward Path (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/martial-traditions/the-wayward-path) stuff from the Path of War if possible? I don't want to take up any of the disciplines, I just like the Path and the Travelogue thing for character development.

RandomWombat
2016-05-03, 09:50 PM
Due to the lack of much exploration on the island and lack of high-magic, the Wayward Path probably wouldn't fit too well there. If you wanted, River could start something to that effect himself, with a more mundane version of the travelogue and a place for fellow explorers and soldiers to share their stories as their small world expands, along with the bonus Endurance feat as long as he keeps to the oath - sort of like the Monk vows.

"Sounds good. I'll talk to you about it more later, once we're back on the Fog," as they arrive on the deck, Reed breaks off from Azrin to join Dean in getting the sub ready.

Archemist
2016-05-05, 07:48 PM
Azrin helps, as before, by casting his water-breathing spell on any crew swimming along outside the submarine with him.

He is looking forward to a good night's sleep tonight!

H. Von Studley
2016-05-06, 03:07 AM
Hey guys, I don't want to hold things up, and I'm happy to progress past this point, so I figured I'd just do some more at-sea activities in the spoiler instead. Feel free to move on RW - I'm not planning anything super-important, just some conversation.
After a few minutes of conversation with Alphonse, and a quick check to make sure the Fog is still on course, Edmund leaves him to pray on the strange new memories the scroll had bestowed upon him. He searches his mind, struggling to summon up his ki again, but the feeling eludes him. After an hour or so he gives up and stands, frustrated.

Searching the deck, he spies River and walks over to the monk. He speaks haltingly, an uncharacteristic lack of certainty in his voice.

"Excuse me River. I was hoping you could help me with something. I'm ...struggling to understand this 'ki' we spoke about. I know it's there, but I can't seem to focus. Praying is a lot different to meditating it would seem. Would you help me?"

With a little time left before Stalling comes into view, Edmund approaches the Mirorhen King. "Good afternoon. We'll be making port in a few hours, and I was hoping to speak with you. Once we arrive in Stalling I will bring you to our king, King Mariner of Rhedris. I imagine he will have many questions, of Criedia and of the Strix invasion. If we are to help you and the Ulselanders in fighting off the Strix, you must convince him to sail to your aid."

"My doctor has made the rounds with your people, and it seems everyone is in remarkably good condition, given the circumstances. I'm not sure exactly what will be done with them, but you have my word that they will be well-looked after.

"And there is one more thing. I had hoped to seek your advice on a strange scroll we found in the metal plane in the other ship. I am becoming more and more convinced that the portals are placed deliberately, to test us, but I do not understand why. I read the scroll, and it implanted strange memories into my mind, memories of a ki technique - a fighting style I have not encountered before. Have you ever heard of such a thing?"

brandnewb
2016-05-06, 10:01 PM
As the ship begins its journey home Olivin takes up his duties on board, helping the crew run the daily affairs on ship. He spends a considerable amount of time in the rigging where he can enjoy the salt air, and clean breeze.

When he finally gets some time off he goes in search of some grog, between slavery and war he has not had a drink in a very long time. Is this a dry ship?

RandomWombat
2016-05-08, 09:12 AM
Looking around the ship, Edmund finds King Kenneth below just outside the sickbay. Hsmorjo is with him, with ointment and bandages on his burns. Orrick must have just finished with the nagaji. The two of them are speaking, though they look up when Edmund approaches. From the sounds of it King Kenneth was inquiring about the Rsarri.

"Good afternoon, captain," the foreign king returns Edmund's greeting, nodding at the comment about convincing King Mariner. "Your people have done much for mine already. If he decides not to go to war, I will respect that, though I would ask he deliver what remains of our warriors to Ulseland. I hope we can turn the tide there in a way we could not in Mirorhen."

"Having an arena, even if it is not to the death, can lead to accidents. We do have both practitioners of healing magic and doctors among our number, and they're helping yours' tend to all of the refugees. And speaking of the arena, I believe I've seen techniques like the one you speak of. Combatants often seek ways to spice up the fight, you see. Make it more entertaining. Is there any chance you could demonstrate the technique?"

The search for booze has the crew direct Olivin to the galley. Someone he recognizes, the woman named Rebecca, is in the kitchen directing the cooks as they prepare a few things in advance for the evening meal. Detecting a presence watching from the doorway, she turns and notices Olivin. "Hey there sailor, hungry? You'll have to wait like everyone else. Can't have folks snacking at the food stores."

H. Von Studley
2016-05-08, 08:37 PM
Ed nods, then closes his eyes a moment, focusing on bringing out his ki. A moment later he opens them again and cries out, his voice laced with power. "Like this!"

RandomWombat
2016-05-08, 10:34 PM
Everyone nearby shudders with energy for a brief moment as the pulse of ki passes through them. Closing his eyes and breathing a moment as the rush of adrenaline passes, Kenneth opens them again. "Yes, I recognize that shout. In the arena those who use it are students of the Golden Lion discipline. Often they lead other gladiators in combat between two teams. A fitting technique for a leader of men, captain." The king smiles. "My son trained with a disciple of the Golden Lion, to learn some techniques to better lead his men. I believe the man who trained him is among those of us who escaped. A veteran of the gladiatorial games. I've not seen him on your ship, so he must have boarded another."

H. Von Studley
2016-05-09, 12:30 AM
"The Golden Lion." Somehow the words seem to fit the memory perfectly, although Edmund is certain he has never heard them before.

"I would very much like to meet this man. Do you remember his name, by any chance?"

brandnewb
2016-05-09, 03:12 PM
Olivin nods, "Alright." he goes off to relax somewhere else and wait for the ship to make port again. He is not really in the mood to practice with his whip at all.

RandomWombat
2016-05-09, 10:28 PM
"The man's name is Ronaldo. He's getting up there in years, with some silver in his hair the last I saw of him. He may still be wearing his gladiatorial armor."

H. Von Studley
2016-05-09, 11:05 PM
"Thank you. I will look for him once we make port."

Ed gives the man a nod and heads back for the deck.

Ready to go, thanks RW.

Aeryk
2016-05-10, 06:37 AM
"Excuse me River. I was hoping you could help me with something. I'm ...struggling to understand this 'ki' we spoke about. I know it's there, but I can't seem to focus. Praying is a lot different to meditating it would seem. Would you help me?"

"Of course sir, though I must say it is not something to be mastered quickly, or with a few quick pointers. Indeed, I myself have only just begun to understand the basics and am still honing my energies."

River pauses for a moment at this point, gathering his thoughts,
"Your magic you understand, and I think I'm starting to understand a little more as well. So you know then that this power is not your own, you merely act as the conduit of your god. Ki is a little different. Everyone has it, though it exists everywhere. It is your inner energy, almost like a life-force, but constructed and shaped by your will. Every time you feel very angry, sad, or invigorated in battle you feel it, and in a way you channel it in your actions, but as quickly as it is there, it is gone again. Meditation is a way of controlling the flow of that energy.

Think of your emotions as drawing water with a bucket from a waterfall. It's out of control, and your bucket never really fills up, only spraying everywhere. Meditating is like filling your bucket by channeling the water away from a slow, deep stream. There is less force to it, but it is in your control, and in the end you have a full bucket to draw from at your leisure. Of course, you can dump the entire bucket all at once if you wish, but then you are empty until you go back to the stream. Sometimes when I am fighting I do the same. There are moments when it is better to use your ki in small doses, and then there are moments when you must use it all at once, but you must choose your moments wisely.

In order to fill your bucket, you must do it with a singular focus and purpose. You cannot be distracted by activity or extraneous thought, or you spill everywhere. When you meditate, you must not allow your magic or prayer interfere. Your will is going to be divided, and you will be unable to focus your ki. Find some quiet place you love to be, where you feel the most 'yourself' to start. A dark room might work, away from people with no distractions. Sometimes a mildly pleasant aroma helps me focus too. It's different for everyone. Eventually as you start learning exactly what it means to meditate, you'll be able to do it in more places and draw more energy. The bucket starts small, it must in order to handle properly, but with practice, your bucket gets bigger and you learn to use its contents in new ways."

River seems pleased with his explanation as a slight smile crosses his face. He turns and scans the ocean once more before returning his piercing gaze to Ed.
"Anyway, I hope that little analogy is some help to you sir. It is how I came to grasp it myself."

H. Von Studley
2016-05-10, 08:15 PM
Great post Aeryk.
Edmund listens attentively as River speaks, taking it all in. He smiles as the monk continues playing on their earlier 'bucket' analogy. Finally, when River is done he sits quietly for a long moment, considering his response.

"Thank you. Truly this will be a challenge to understand, but I am eager to practice and learn more.

"You warned me that I should not let my will be divided, that I could not allow magic and prayer to split my focus. In this I hope you are wrong. My magic may come from an external source, but it is a part of me, just as much as your ki is a part of you. It strengthens me, bolsters my spirit. If ki enlightenment is the mastery of the self, I sense that I cannot ignore who I already am.

"But then, just as the stream eventually finds the ocean, perhaps both ki and divine magic are just different forms of the same energy. The one bucket can be filled from many sources, after all.

"Thank you River. I will reflect on your advice. You have given me much to consider."

RandomWombat
2016-05-10, 09:44 PM
Late in the evening after a supper of baked potatoes and warmed sandwiches with a small ration of wine for those who wish to celebrate their victory (or soften their losses in the refugees' case), Stalling comes into view on the horizon. The other two Rhedris ships put up flags as the trio and their prizes approach, deferring to the Fog to make port first. With the number of ships landing, keeping a definite order will prevent accidental collisions or clutter.

Word of the ships' approach must have reached the castle, as there is a gathering of knights at the port waiting for them, with the citizens being cleared away to give room. Standing out among the knights is King Mariner himself, wearing his ornate helmet. On either side of him are Advisor Tilbert and Admiral Kolomon. Returning with so many prize ships, the three men must expect a rousing success. The Pyrrhic victory may be sobering.

Settling into its place at the pier, the Fog puts down its gangplank. King Kenneth and Prince Noland are on the deck organizing their people, who are eager to get a look at this new, unfamiliar land. The promise of safety even if only for a moment.

H. Von Studley
2016-05-10, 11:00 PM
Edmund notes the assembled crowd with surprise. He had not expected the King and the royal guard to meet them at the docks. He gestures for the Mirorhen royalty and the Fog's officers to join him, then walks down the gangplank to meet the assembled leaders.

He offers the king a short, stiff bow, suddenly very aware of his battered chain shirt showing through underneath his rough sailing garb, especially in the face of the splendour of the assembled guard. "Good evening, your majesty. May I present the King of Mirorhen, King Kenneth II, and his son, Prince Noland."

Switching to Ulselandic, he turns back to the men of Mirorhen. "And allow me to introduce King Randall Mariner, his advisor Gordon Tillbert, and Admiral Koloman Grimace."

Ed turns back to the Rhedran king and continues. "Sir, before I make my full report I should fill you in on the important details.

"The Northeastern Fog successfully captured the enemy submersible from the Orc-controlled fort and used it to slip past the blockade into Mirorhen. The walls had not yet been breached, but we found most of the city's occupants had been killed by Basidirond, plant-like monsters that been released into the city by the invading army. A small cluster of refugees - the remainder of Mirorhen's population - were secured in the royal keep in the center of the city.

"There we met King Kenneth and warned him of the impending attack. Making our way to the gates, we repelled the Blessed One incursion and captured a high-level Strix operative. He informed us that the orcs were launching a full scale assault on the gates in a matter of hours, whether or not their infiltration was successful.

"In light of this development, we organised for the refugees to flee for the docks. We returned to the Fog and a last rearguard of Mirorhen soldiers stayed behind to hold the gates against the enemy for as long as possible.

"The Fog and the other ships of the fleet sailed against the orcish blockade in force. We sustained some casualties, particularly amongst Captain Reinhardt's crew, but ultimately routed the orcish crews and captured all three of their ships.

"Having destroyed the blockade, we sailed for the Mirorhen docks and picked up the survivors as the strix broke through the gates.

"Sir, the city state of Mirorhen has been captured, and these people," he gestures to the ships behind him, "are all that remains of her population. They seek asylum in the Empire."

Archemist
2016-05-11, 12:30 PM
Azrin stands at attention for the moment, with the rest of the crew who've followed behind the Captain.

Aeryk
2016-05-11, 08:15 PM
River followed along just behind Azrin, listening in on Ed's report; the group had done so much in such a short time it was difficult to keep track of it all. The thought made River slightly uneasy. What was the point of all this adventuring if he couldn't remember the details? Perhaps a log of all that had transpired would help, and one day he would be able to read and reflect on it all, or maybe some other intrepid young soul might pick it up and be inspired to find his own new experiences in life...

brandnewb
2016-05-11, 09:53 PM
Olivin listens in somber silence while the Captain relates the final fall of Mirorhen. The loss of the city resonates deeply with him. Olivin has also see the fall of his home Alynnon and the slaughter of his people. He fists clench and his expression of sorrow slowly shifts to that of malice. He redoubles his resolve to do everything he can to seek vengeance.

With the fall of his home many histories and legends will be lost. The tales of bravery and valour which were the pride of Alynnon will slowly be forgotten. The splendor of the Arena, filled with roaring crowds and the combat of mighty champions will no longer be remembered in song and story. Perhaps it is fitting that one of the last remaining sons of the City of Alynnon should record his struggle to reclaim his fallen home. Maybe then even if Alynnon cannot be returned to it's former glory, it shall at least not be forgotten.

Olivin decides that he will purchase what he requires to begin a journal when he has the opportunity in town. Perhaps Olivin's new gnome friend has such things in his shop.

RandomWombat
2016-05-12, 10:09 PM
"Welcome home, Captain Grimace," King Mariner's armor gleams white in the sunlight breaking through the clouds, its mythril sparkling. The front of his helm covers his face down to his nose, and the brow is decorated with three skyward spires, in the imitation of a crown. A mytrhil shield of matching make hangs at his back right hip, opposite his sheathed sword. The shield bears the holy symbols of Erastil and Torag woven together, bow and arrow laid upon hammer, both pointed at the ground.

Standing beside Edmund, King Kenneth and Prince Noland bow their heads to the foreign king as Edmund explains who it is they've met. From behind them, Sarah approaches and performs a low curtsy. Behind her a pair of sailors lug Gentius' wooden prison down the gangplank. As Edmund addresses the King, Sarah turns away to oversee the transport of the crate and make sure there is now opportunity for its occupant to escape. As the other ships dock, Falk and Rory disembark to join the rest of the gathering; behind them is Malleus, his first mate helping him walk. Captain Reinhardt is badly injured, and Edmund notices that his old friend's sword arm hangs limp. If it is a sign of a permanent injury, it may even be career ending.

Among the other disembarking crews, River spots Robert Silver.

Reaching up to scratch his beard, King Mariner listens to Edmund tell his story of their voyage. The Rhedran King nods. "Again your crew shows exemplary performance, Captain. And all of you have proven yourselves equally capable when set to the task." His eyes rest on Malleus and he frowns slightly, glancing aside to the Admiral, who meets his eyes. They've both noticed his injury, and as men of martial experience themselves they know just how bad it might be. Putting his best face back on, King Mariner addresses Edmund again. "There are new developments here as well. Advisor Tilbert."

At his cue, the man in tailored clothes smooths out his luscious blonde hair.

http://media.vanityfair.com/photos/55ddc2f8e8f804624a2ff49c/master/h_590,c_limit/donald-trump-history-hair-ss09.jpg

"We have made some headway questioning the orc prisoners, in particular the first mate of the very first ship we captured. That you captured, that is, Captain Grimace. He's been surprisingly talkative since only a two days ago, while you were gone. To put it simply, the orcs are not completely loyal to their winged masters."

"That being said, the matter of granting these refugees asylum or perhaps citizenship should they be unable to return home is a matter we must bring before the Emperor and the rulers of the other lands allied under him," King Mariner continues. "We will prepare shelter for them until the military and political situation can be discussed further, and I would like to speak with King Kenneth and his son. Does your ship have a translator it can spare, Captain Grimace?"

Before there can be a reply, Orrick steps forward, bowing to the King. He quietly offers to serve the role of translator. Is the doctor still bitter over the argument with Edmund?

"If mister Drummond is leaving his service on the Fog, she will require a new doctor. I have some candidates available. I will discuss them with you shortly, Captain," the Admiral add(miral)s.

King Mariner nods slightly in agreement and speaks to Orrick, "Then we will gladly accept your help at the castle. Your old room has remained mostly untouched in the absence of a new castle alchemist, though you may find a touch more cobwebs than you remember. The rest of you," he faces those assembled, "Soldiers and sailors of the Rhedran Navy, take some much deserved time off to be with your families. With the trouble in Aigodon there may not be a decision for several days at least, if not a week or more. We will need your doctors to go with my knights for now. We will find a place for the refugees to stay, and the knights must know if and how any of these people are sick. I will prepare one of the guest bedrooms in the castle for the royal family of Mirorhen."

H. Von Studley
2016-05-14, 01:28 AM
I lol'd at Trump-bert.

"Welcome home, Captain Grimace," King Mariner's armor gleams white in the sunlight breaking through the clouds, its mythril sparkling. The front of his helm covers his face down to his nose, and the brow is decorated with three skyward spires, in the imitation of a crown. A mytrhil shield of matching make hangs at his back right hip, opposite his sheathed sword. The shield bears the holy symbols of Erastil and Torag woven together, bow and arrow laid upon hammer, both pointed at the ground.

Standing beside Edmund, King Kenneth and Prince Noland bow their heads to the foreign king as Edmund explains who it is they've met. From behind them, Sarah approaches and performs a low curtsy. Behind her a pair of sailors lug Gentius' wooden prison down the gangplank. As Edmund addresses the King, Sarah turns away to oversee the transport of the crate and make sure there is now opportunity for its occupant to escape. As the other ships dock, Falk and Rory disembark to join the rest of the gathering; behind them is Malleus, his first mate helping him walk. Captain Reinhardt is badly injured, and Edmund notices that his old friend's sword arm hangs limp. If it is a sign of a permanent injury, it may even be career ending.

Edmund's stomach drops as he sees the Mal's injuries. He turns back to the King quickly, before his old friend can see the dismay on his face.

"We have made some headway questioning the orc prisoners, in particular the first mate of the very first ship we captured. That you captured, that is, Captain Grimace. He's been surprisingly talkative since only a two days ago, while you were gone. To put it simply, the orcs are not completely loyal to their winged masters."

Putting aside thoughts of his friend for the moment, Ed nods. "I would be very interested in hearing what he said. We had some luck on the intelligence gathering front ourselves. This is Sarah, a mage from Mirorhen." Ed gestures behind to where Sarah stands, overseeing the unloading. "With her help, we've managed to capture a Strix operative, the highest-ranking one we've met yet. He is undead, but intelligent, and Sarah has been able to force him to reveal further details of the strix and orcish forces. He should prove very helpful, but be careful. He may be the most dangerous adversary we've come across."

"That being said, the matter of granting these refugees asylum or perhaps citizenship should they be unable to return home is a matter we must bring before the Emperor and the rulers of the other lands allied under him," King Mariner continues. "We will prepare shelter for them until the military and political situation can be discussed further, and I would like to speak with King Kenneth and his son. Does your ship have a translator it can spare, Captain Grimace?"

Before there can be a reply, Orrick steps forward, bowing to the King. He quietly offers to serve the role of translator. Is the doctor still bitter over the argument with Edmund?

"If mister Drummond is leaving his service on the Fog, she will require a new doctor. I have some candidates available. I will discuss them with you shortly, Captain," the Admiral add(miral)s.

Ed nods, his face hardening slightly. He had thought the matter settled between them, but perhaps this was for the best. Orrick had barely spoken two words to him since Mirorhen.

King Mariner nods slightly in agreement and speaks to Orrick, "Then we will gladly accept your help at the castle. Your old room has remained mostly untouched in the absence of a new castle alchemist, though you may find a touch more cobwebs than you remember. The rest of you," he faces those assembled, "Soldiers and sailors of the Rhedran Navy, take some much deserved time off to be with your families. With the trouble in Aigodon there may not be a decision for several days at least, if not a week or more. We will need your doctors to go with my knights for now. We will find a place for the refugees to stay, and the knights must know if and how any of these people are sick. I will prepare one of the guest bedrooms in the castle for the royal family of Mirorhen."

"Thank you, your majesty. I'll make sure the ships are repaired and restocked. When you need us again, we'll be ready."

Aeryk
2016-05-14, 03:35 PM
Among the other disembarking crews, River spots Robert Silver.

Seeing the familiar hard face of Robert across the docks, River walks up to greet him. "Mr. Silver, how have you been? How are things on the Dragon Slug?"

RandomWombat
2016-05-14, 05:26 PM
You can feel free to roleplay Robert, even though he is now an NPC.

"We will take extra precautions with the prisoner, then. Perhaps Sarah should advise us on security for... it," Tilbert looks at the crate Gentius is in with a tinge of disgust in his tone.

"I trust you will, captain," King Mariner holds up his hand to those assembled. "That will be all. You may disperse."

The crowd goes about its business, the sailors and soldiers eager to see their families (and visit the taverns), the knights and doctors escorting the refugees to a safe place. Orrick, Sarah, King Kenneth, and Prince Noland return to the castle with King Mariner and Advisor Tilbert. Mossgandra and Hsmorjo are left hanging about awkwardly, unsure if they are supposed to go with the refugees, since they have nowhere to stay in the city.

Robert likely stays behind to speak with River nearby.

Big Mouth Billy Bass', the port tavern where Edmund and the other captains had their first briefing with the Admiral, has become a popular place for the off-duty navy. Rebecca can be spotted entering, along with several other sailors from the various ships.

Captain Rory of the Dragon Slug attempts to subtly slip into a Calistrian 'temple' further down the way. There is some measure of success, but Azrin and Olivin notice him. Olivin doesn't know anything about Calistria or her followers, but the building looks more or less like a fancy brothel to him.

There are curious civilians watching what's happening of course, but River also notices a short person in one of the alleyways. They wouldn't stand out except that they look like they're trying not to stand out. The suspicious person is quite far and past a number of people milling about, but hasn't noticed that they've been made.

As the crowd disperses, Admiral Kolomon approaches Edmund. "So, we should discuss your sudden lack of a doctor. On a somewhat related note, your young stowaway has been going through training like any proper recruit. He should be ready to set out with you by the time you next set sail." He lowers his voice, his tone growing solemn with a hint of concern, "And your friend, Captain Reinhardt. I saw you noticed too. If his injury doesn't recover enough for active duty, I'll see about finding him a position as a training officer. It's the best I can do."

Clearing his throat, the Admiral gets back on track, "There are a few candidates for ship doctors who have applied for recruitment. There's also a more interesting case. He is at the castle if you would like to go meet him. I will let you draw your own conclusions."

Archemist
2016-05-14, 06:04 PM
Azrin confers with Pomutiki and the repair crews on the docks. He runs down a quick list of repairs for the Fog.

"I'll leave you to it tomorrow, but I'll be back the day after to see if you've found anything I missed. I'd like to see about getting her some new sails while we've got the chance, too."

He finds his wife in the gathered crowd and they embrace and head back home.

The next day, Azrin takes out the ring the crew had found, and sets it on his workbench. He casts his magic over it to try to understand the ring's magic better.

He goes over the books with Mr. Vonn the shopkeeper, and they discuss how things have been going, and any work that might be done now that Azrin is back.

Lastly, he gives his full kit a good wash, including cleaning his guns and tools. "That dratted salt water, it ruins everything it touches," he says, shaking his head.

Aeryk
2016-05-14, 06:10 PM
There are curious civilians watching what's happening of course, but River also notices a short person in one of the alleyways. They wouldn't stand out except that they look like they're trying not to stand out. The suspicious person is quite far and past a number of people milling about, but hasn't noticed that they've been made.

River plays it off as if he hasn't seen anything, then adds to Robert in a lower voice, "Don't look, but someone is watching us from the alley." He describes what details he can to Robert, then asks, "Anyone you might know?"

H. Von Studley
2016-05-15, 02:14 AM
"We will take extra precautions with the prisoner, then. Perhaps Sarah should advise us on security for... it," Tilbert looks at the crate Gentius is in with a tinge of disgust in his tone.

"Probably a good idea. As far as I know her magic controls him completely. I wouldn't want to see what happens if he got free though.

"Shall I come see you tomorrow? We need to debrief properly on the events of our trip. Gentius' answers have given us a lot to discuss, and you may get more from him tonight."

"I trust you will, captain," King Mariner holds up his hand to those assembled. "That will be all. You may disperse."

The crowd goes about its business, the sailors and soldiers eager to see their families (and visit the taverns), the knights and doctors escorting the refugees to a safe place. Orrick, Sarah, King Kenneth, and Prince Noland return to the castle with King Mariner and Advisor Tilbert. Mossgandra and Hsmorjo are left hanging about awkwardly, unsure if they are supposed to go with the refugees, since they have nowhere to stay in the city.

Ed thanks the king and offers a small bow as the royal entourage departs. Noticing Mossgandra and Hsmorjo looking a little unsure, he steps over to them. "You and your troopers are welcome to stay aboard the Fog if you'd like, although I'm sure that room amongst the Mirorhen could be found if you prefer. A great deal will depend on what our leaders decide, but until we know anything I consider you both to be a part of our crew.

"It looks as though the rest of the men are dining in the tavern this evening. You should join them. The conversation may not be great, but they'll make sure you don't get into trouble."

As the crowd disperses, Admiral Kolomon approaches Edmund. "So, we should discuss your sudden lack of a doctor. On a somewhat related note, your young stowaway has been going through training like any proper recruit. He should be ready to set out with you by the time you next set sail." He lowers his voice, his tone growing solemn with a hint of concern, "And your friend, Captain Reinhardt. I saw you noticed too. If his injury doesn't recover enough for active duty, I'll see about finding him a position as a training officer. It's the best I can do."

Edmund's face begins to brighten at the mention of Amon's successful training, but quickly drops as the Admiral mentions Mal. His mouth forms a thin line and he nods. "A hard fate. We will feel his loss on the front lines, but at least he has his life. Rhedris will benefit from his expertise. Perhaps it is best that we give him space for now. He probably does not wish to speak of it."

He looks away for a moment, struggling briefly to meet his father's eyes. Had the man guessed at the extent of his own injuries?

Clearing his throat, the Admiral gets back on track, "There are a few candidates for ship doctors who have applied for recruitment. There's also a more interesting case. He is at the castle if you would like to go meet him. I will let you draw your own conclusions."

Ed smiles at that, and the formality of their professional relationship slips a little. "You know me father. I could always use a little more interesting on my crew. I will be at the castle tomorrow - perhaps you could introduce me to the candidates then?"

RandomWombat
2016-05-15, 04:18 PM
"Probably a good idea. As far as I know her magic controls him completely. I wouldn't want to see what happens if he got free though.

"Shall I come see you tomorrow? We need to debrief properly on the events of our trip. Gentius' answers have given us a lot to discuss, and you may get more from him tonight."

"Sounds like a plan, captain. Is tomorrow afternoon a good time? I will have a servant meet you at the gates and show you the way."

Ed thanks the king and offers a small bow as the royal entourage departs. Noticing Mossgandra and Hsmorjo looking a little unsure, he steps over to them. "You and your troopers are welcome to stay aboard the Fog if you'd like, although I'm sure that room amongst the Mirorhen could be found if you prefer. A great deal will depend on what our leaders decide, but until we know anything I consider you both to be a part of our crew.

"It looks as though the rest of the men are dining in the tavern this evening. You should join them. The conversation may not be great, but they'll make sure you don't get into trouble."

Smiling at the invitation to stay on the ship, Mossgandra looks a little less lost about what to do, "Thank you. We elves fit in well enough, but the nagaji get wary looks from the people here. It may be best if we stay on the Fog."

"I would not want myself or my kind to ruin the celebrations," Hsmorjo appears reluctant to join the others at the tavern. "We are still alien to their eyes."

Edmund's face begins to brighten at the mention of Amon's successful training, but quickly drops as the Admiral mentions Mal. His mouth forms a thin line and he nods. "A hard fate. We will feel his loss on the front lines, but at least he has his life. Rhedris will benefit from his expertise. Perhaps it is best that we give him space for now. He probably does not wish to speak of it."

He looks away for a moment, struggling briefly to meet his father's eyes. Had the man guessed at the extent of his own injuries?

Ed smiles at that, and the formality of their professional relationship slips a little. "You know me father. I could always use a little more interesting on my crew. I will be at the castle tomorrow - perhaps you could introduce me to the candidates then?"

The Admiral's stoic expression allows a brief crack of an upturned lip, "I thought you'd say that. You have a way of bringing the strangest sorts together on that ship of yours'. Whenever you are done with Tilbert's business, come find me."

brandnewb
2016-05-15, 04:34 PM
Olivin accompanies the group toward the tavern. He is standing with Azrin when he notices the Captain of the other ship slip off into a questionable establishment. He does not say anything, opting to give them man some semblance of discretion. Olivin turns to his Gnome friend just as his wife arrives. "Say hello to your family for me my friend, and I would like to come by your shop sometime in the next few days. Do you sell what I would require to begin a journal?"

When Azrin leaves he bids him farewell and joins the main group to head to the tavern. His rapidly growing ability with the local language giving him the chance to act as interpreter if some of his fellow rescued foreigners requires help.

Robert smiles broadly when he sees him friend. His regular serious and grim expression changing noticeably when he walks over to greet him. As is his character Robert's pistol and sword shine brightly on his belt and he wears a uniform that is parade ground ready. "Its is a pleasure to see you again Mr. River! I hear the crew has been very busy. I myself have been facing my share of Orcs while serving with the Dragon Slug."

Sadly his jovial demeanor is short lived when River tells him about the fellow watching him. Years on the streets, followed by years on the city guard have given him the discipline not to look. His normal cold personality however returns as he thinks about who it could be. He speaks more quietly now "Hmm, I may have encountered some miscreants by that description. I will need to get a look at him to know for sure. We will need to be careful though, the law does not allow for arbitrary detention. And no longer serving in the guard, I do not hold the same powers as I once did." He smiles mischievously "I do however still have many friends who just so happen to be city guards. Lets talk and perhaps find reason to walk in that direction."

Aeryk
2016-05-15, 05:03 PM
River nods his head and maintains a smile as he listens to Robert, "Indeed. We've had quite some experiences abroad, including another trip into the strange metallic place." River casually walks with Robert, not directly toward their observer but at a bit of an angle towards him in a path which will bring them past his position so as not to scare him off, and also to give Robert a better view without being obvious about it. "If we let him tail us we may be able to learn something about him without detaining him. Perhaps we could in turn follow him once he's done watching us. Do you recognize him?"

brandnewb
2016-05-15, 05:41 PM
Robert know the guy?

Archemist
2016-05-15, 06:29 PM
Olivin accompanies the group toward the tavern. He is standing with Azrin when he notices the Captain of the other ship slip off into a questionable establishment. He does not say anything, opting to give them man some semblance of discretion. Olivin turns to his Gnome friend just as his wife arrives. "Say hello to your family for me my friend, and I would like to come by your shop sometime in the next few days. Do you sell what I would require to begin a journal?"

Azrin replies, "Certainly! Drop by anytime, and we'll get you what you need. I even have sets of brushes for making the draconic characters properly, if that's your hobby. I used to keep a journal in that language, just to narrow the number of folks who'd be able to snoop. Not that anyone ever did, to my knowledge, and a good thing too, since most of what I wrote as a young gnome makes me cringe or chuckle, nowadays." He gives a wry grin.

Azrin's wife pipes up, "He's being modest, of course. He had quite the charming way with words, back in the day!" She gives him a friendly elbow-jab. "My name is Louise, since he has been slow with the introductions."

"Olivin. Er, Mr. Instance, if I recall. Mrs. Louise Bluestone." Azrin shrugs and seems like perhaps the formalities are going to take some getting used to again, after a few weeks at sea.

brandnewb
2016-05-15, 09:00 PM
Azrin replies, "Certainly! Drop by anytime, and we'll get you what you need. I even have sets of brushes for making the draconic characters properly, if that's your hobby. I used to keep a journal in that language, just to narrow the number of folks who'd be able to snoop. Not that anyone ever did, to my knowledge, and a good thing too, since most of what I wrote as a young gnome makes me cringe or chuckle, nowadays." He gives a wry grin.

Azrin's wife pipes up, "He's being modest, of course. He had quite the charming way with words, back in the day!" She gives him a friendly elbow-jab. "My name is Louise, since he has been slow with the introductions."

"Olivin. Er, Mr. Instance, if I recall. Mrs. Louise Bluestone." Azrin shrugs and seems like perhaps the formalities are going to take some getting used to again, after a few weeks at sea.

Olivin bows low in the formal style of his home of Alynnon. His loose fitting sailors garb flows freely in the air, accenting his bow. Olivin will check what languages Azrin's wife knows likely speaking Draconic since it appears they both know that one. His common is still developing. "It is very nice to meet you Ma'am. Your husband is a hero he and has rescued me from a life of slavery, torture and certain death at the hands of Orcs. I am forever in his debt, and therefor in your debt Ma'am. On behalf of everyone that Azrin and his companions have rescued I thank you for letting him be parted from your family and come to our aide."

RandomWombat
2016-05-15, 10:07 PM
The two of you can roll Bluff checks to avoid being made as you head past the observer. They may also make Perception checks to get a better look at them.

You take a -2 penalty on either one of those rolls. If you choose to glance the person's way you take a -2 to the Bluff check to avoid detection, but if you choose to use only your peripheral vision and keep your gaze elsewhere, you take a -2 on the Perception.

These will be opposed by the target's own Sense Motive and Disguise checks.

The Billy Bass is bustling with the influx of sailors. One of the serving girls has retreated behind the counter to help a thin bartender take orders, while the other two scramble to get the correct orders to the correct tables as the place continues to fill up. A chalkboard posted near the bar displays a menu; the place primarily serves alcohol, but has some light food available as well. They serve a few types of wine, cider, mead, 'dragon punch' whiskey, or a mug of 'traditional dwarven stout' ale (the last one carries with it a warning that it is very filling). There is vegetable soup on the menu, oranges for sailors who want a little extra citrus after being out at sea, something called a coconut, and breadsticks with elven seasoning.

Rebecca is sitting at a table chatting with a female halfling over drinks; Robert recognizes the halfling as one of the cooks from his visit to the galley. One of the halfling soldiers, Bernie, is at the bar drinking with a straw from a large dark brown sphere that has been split open. In one of the corners, Reed is kicking back alone and relaxing with a foamy mug of dark colored alcohol in his hand.

The Identify spell scans the ring, filling in the blanks in Azrin's own knowledge. The magic refers to it as a 'Ring of Heroes (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/ring-of-heroes)'. This object has properties that function symbiotically with the Hero Tokens the crew have come to understand, potentially allowing the tokens to be used multiple times before expiring.

H. Von Studley
2016-05-16, 03:03 AM
"Sounds like a plan, captain. Is tomorrow afternoon a good time? I will have a servant meet you at the gates and show you the way."

Ed extends his hand to shake. "I'll be there. I may bring a few of my officers as well - they heard from Gentius too and may have something to add."

Smiling at the invitation to stay on the ship, Mossgandra looks a little less lost about what to do, "Thank you. We elves fit in well enough, but the nagaji get wary looks from the people here. It may be best if we stay on the Fog."

"I would not want myself or my kind to ruin the celebrations," Hsmorjo appears reluctant to join the others at the tavern. "We are still alien to their eyes."

Edmund gives Hsmorjo an understanding smile. "Give them time. You and your crew have already begun to win them over. You've saved their friends' lives with your healing magic. When they realise that, they're not going to care what language you speak."

The Admiral's stoic expression allows a brief crack of an upturned lip, "I thought you'd say that. You have a way of bringing the strangest sorts together on that ship of yours'. Whenever you are done with Tilbert's business, come find me."

Ed nods and gives his father a salute.

When the Admiral leaves Ed moves into the crowd, searching amongst the refugees from the other ships. King Kenneth had suggested he look for a man named Ronaldo, with gladiatorial armor and a bit of grey in his hair, and Ed was determined to find him.

brandnewb
2016-05-16, 01:21 PM
For after the introduction to Azrin's wife is complete.

Olivin strolls into the bar and slowly scans the room. He spots Rebecca sitting at a table and wanders over. "Mind if I join you ladies?" He asks. If they don't seem open to the idea he will approach read instead. Once he is accepted to a table he excuses himself to order. Looking at the menu and begins slowly reading it, quickly realizing he needs to work on reading and writing in this new language. After a few moments stumbling over the words Olivin walks to the bar and orders. "I would like a big bowl of soup, two oranges and a mug of the stout ale. Please take it to that table over there." Ending his sentence with a smile and by pointing toward the table.

Olivin then returns to that table and greets his new companions with a smile. "How are you all doing? It is nice to be back in port. This place reminds me of back home, the boys would swarm all over the taverns when we finally made port." A frown slowly crosses his face having reminded himself that most of those old friends are most probably murdered by orcs. When he realizes the frown he has given this group he quickly forces a smile back on his face."Im sorry, I should try not to remind myself of what i have lost back home. Tell me what are the sites in this town. Where would a thirsty man find a keg of ale to bring home?" With that last question he grins.

RandomWombat
2016-05-16, 05:42 PM
"The man who always carries the records, Dean. He has been tutoring the commander and I on your language in his scarce free time, and we in turn have taught him bits and pieces of ours'. While we are at rest I shall seek him out to continue our lessons," following a deep bow of farewell to Ed, Hsmorjo returns to the ship.

"I believe I will set aside my armor and join the others in the tavern, for a short while at least. I could use a drink of something. I've not had elven cider since the orcs drove us into the mountains; we cannot spare apples that would be better used as food. I wish you well on your errands today, captain," with a nod, Mossgandra makes her way back onto the ship as well, to place her armor somewhere secure.

After his various conversations are dealt with Edmund follows the street he saw the refugees being led down. Going deeper into the city, he finds a few folks in Mirorhenite garb milling about near one of the city parks. A section of the park has had blankets laid out, with volunteers bringing poles and tarps to shield the refugees from the sun and any rain that may come until a better location is found and prepared. For now the ship doctors are working with a few local doctors, catching them up on treatment, injury, and illness among the refugees. The Knights of the Blue Rose are keeping order and peace, making sure the refugees are not pestered by local children and busybodies who aren't there to help.

Edmund can attempt Perception to search for Ronaldo, or Diplomacy to gather information about his whereabouts. If the first fails the other is still an option, it'll just eat up some time.

As they pass by the alley, Robert locks eyes with the heavily clothed halfling woman in the alley. He immediately recognizes her as the one who was working with Landis, and she recognizes him. Eyes widening, she turns and bolts down the alley, cloak flapping behind her until she grabs a hold of it and keeps it close.

For River's part, he determines that the woman is a halfling from her size and body shape. She is heavily garbed with only a small section of her face around the eyes uncovered. The veins on her face are unnaturally dark, from the little bit he can see. As the woman turns to flee, she moves faster than the average halfling, but her movements are jerky and clumsy at the same time, an awkward gallop. He can tell already that she can't outrun him.

Before she reaches the other end of the alley, River will have caught up, should he choose to give chase. What means will he use to stop her from running further? And will Robert pursue as well?

"Sure thing, Ollie!" Rebecca answers cheerily as he asks permission to sit with her. She introduces the halfling, "This is my friend Judy. Judy, this is Olivin, he's one of the... guys we rescued from the second ship we took down." She barely avoids using the word 'slave'.

When he returns after placing his order, the two are talking about Judy's interest in the worship of Shelyn, a deity Olivin has heard of in passing back on Criedia. It is a more common religion among the elves back where he's from. They pause to let the new third party at their table get a word in, and when Olivin accidentally brings up a sore subject of his own, Rebecca waves it off. "Don't worry, your people've had it rough. Just try not to dwell on it too much, everyone's here to forget about their troubles. It's what they invented the stuff for!" she raises her cup and takes a drink.

"If you're looking for a personal stash, the breweries are the best place to get a keg. Taverns usually don't sell in bulk," Judy explains.

"Mhm. Wouldn't tell the captain, he might not like you drinking too much on the ship. What kind do you prefer?" Rebecca's question may be answered as a serving girl delivers a glass mug of dark, foamy liquid to the table, identical to the drink Reed was enjoying. The beverage has a smoky aroma, and a strong, slightly burnt flavor. A small wooden basket with a pair of oranges is set on the table in front of him, and the woman assures him that his soup will be there shortly before hurrying to empty her serving tray of the rest of the orders on this run.

"Dwarven stout and soup? Hope you like feeling bloated, friend," Judy quips and takes a sip from her own drink.

H. Von Studley
2016-05-16, 05:51 PM
Perception: [roll0]

If Perception fails, Ed will use his Touch of Glory ability for a +4 bonus on the diplomacy check.

Diplomacy: [roll1]

brandnewb
2016-05-16, 06:12 PM
Robert recognizes the half-ling immediately and when she runs he explodes into action. Without a pause he breaks into a full run, shouting "Criminal! Guards! Guards!" Trusting that River will follow, and from experience outpace him, Robert does not wait to see if his companion is following him.

By the time he is in full sprint Robert already has his pistol in hand. He begins yelling "Out of the Way!" broken by proclamations of "Guards! Guards!"

If he gets within range he will yell, "Stop! Or I shoot!"

brandnewb
2016-05-16, 06:44 PM
Olivin smiles, "It is a pleasure to meet you Judy. I hope it is so strong. I could use a good meal. I don't know that I have had Dwarven Stout before. But I am quite,... accustom... to beverages. I like a challenge."

Olivin nods in response to the suffering of his people. "I am free now, The last few years have taught me to cherish what time I have... And to spend it killing orcs." He adds the last part after a moments pause, and perhaps a little too much enthusiasm.

"Breweries you say?" Olivin seems to ignore the comment about the captain not wanting him drinking heavily on the ship. "Is there a brewery in particular you would suggest? Perhaps somewhere I could buy some rum?" He takes a sip of his Stout, "Wow, that is filling! I like it. It could be a meal on its own. Maybe I should get a cask of this."

After this banter Olivin says, "I am sorry if I stopped your conversations. I heard you speaking about Shelyn. Don't let me stop you. I have been to many cities and while I don't know much about her she has some beautiful temples and shrines." Olivin smiles and continues, "Call me an old fashion sailor but I have always felt it wise to pay Gozreh my respects. I have lived my life at the mercy of The Wind and the Waves. Tell me what is it that draws you too Shelyn? She is more commonly worshiped among elves where I am from. Not that there is any problem with that of course. Olivin adds the last part clearly intending to avoid offense.

Aeryk
2016-05-17, 06:17 AM
River bolts after the halfling woman and closes the distance fairly quickly. Hearing Robert's desperation he is prepared to use force to detain her.

Is she wielding a weapon? If she is, River will punch from reach with Elemental Fist (Marid Style feat). If she is not, he will attempt to grapple her.

Scenario 1, Armed:
Attack (with 5' reach): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Cold Damage: [roll2]

Scenario 2, Unarmed:
Grapple: [roll3]

...also just realized that for the past 2 levels I wasn't including my Maneuver Training monk ability for CMB. Luckily I haven't grappled much, if at all.

RandomWombat
2016-05-17, 07:22 PM
While he wanders among the people inn the park, Edmund spots an older man sitting on a wooden bench near a pond further into the park. The man must have had chiseled features in his younger days, his features still athletic despite his obvious age. Unkempt dark grey hair hangs from his head, a small bald spot at the back, and his beard has grown unruly after the siege and days at sea left it untrimmed. He is wearing a sleeveless patchwork cuirass made out of the tough hide of various reptilian creatures. His arms are guarded by strips of metal on leather, and his armored leggings are made of leather layered over one another in strips that reinforce each other. This must be the gladiator Edmund is looking for.

Though the halfling does not respond to Robert's threats, it proves irrelevant, as River tackles her and wraps his arms around her, pinning her arms to her side. He easily gains the upper hand and she seems to understand that struggle is fruitless, going slack in the monk's grip. "Well, I've stopped. Don't shoot."

Olivin smiles, "It is a pleasure to meet you Judy. I hope it is so strong. I could use a good meal. I don't know that I have had Dwarven Stout before. But I am quite,... accustom... to beverages. I like a challenge."

"For your stomach's sake I certainly hope so," Judy chuckles. "And don't worry if - when - you start belching in front of the ladies. We're used to the company of sailors."

Olivin nods in response to the suffering of his people. "I am free now, The last few years have taught me to cherish what time I have... And to spend it killing orcs." He adds the last part after a moments pause, and perhaps a little too much enthusiasm.

At that, Rebecca shakes her head, "I prefer to avoid that last part, when I can. The killing I mean. I'm all for stopping what's going on, but people are people, right? There's got to be good orcs somewhere. Just like there are bad humans sometimes."

"I've not much of a stomach for it either, but this is war Rebecca. There's going to be death."

"Wars end. Need to remember that someone has to pick up the pieces after and build something new. Better. Senseless killing, we might cut the throat of just that person and never realize it, even after it's too late."

"Breweries you say?" Olivin seems to ignore the comment about the captain not wanting him drinking heavily on the ship. "Is there a brewery in particular you would suggest? Perhaps somewhere I could buy some rum?" He takes a sip of his Stout, "Wow, that is filling! I like it. It could be a meal on its own. Maybe I should get a cask of this."

"'Rum' you call it? Don't know a drink by that name, sorry. Must be a thing where you're from. If you're looking for dwarven ale too keep you warm at night though, there's a brewery just out of the city in the hills to the northeast. The dwarves like their burrowing space. Shouldn't be hard to miss, it's the only building out that way aside a few farms here 'n there."

After this banter Olivin says, "I am sorry if I stopped your conversations. I heard you speaking about Shelyn. Don't let me stop you. I have been to many cities and while I don't know much about her she has some beautiful temples and shrines." Olivin smiles and continues, "Call me an old fashion sailor but I have always felt it wise to pay Gozreh my respects. I have lived my life at the mercy of The Wind and the Waves. Tell me what is it that draws you too Shelyn? She is more commonly worshiped among elves where I am from. Not that there is any problem with that of course. Olivin adds the last part clearly intending to avoid offense.

"Gozreh, huh? Suppose it makes sense for a career sailor wanting to pray for favorable weather. Me, I was raised Shelynite. My sister and I were both taken in by the local cleric of Shelyn back in our hometown. What keeps me though? A lot of these big players people devote themselves to, forces 'beyond our understanding', seems like their first priority is their agenda. Their doctrine. Shelyn's doctrine seems so much simpler. No big plan or greater good. It's just love."

Judy snorts a bit as she laughs, but holds back further laughter. "Sorry. I get where you're from, that just sounded corny as 'ell."

"I'm under the influence," Rebecca justifies herself, taking another drink from her glass. "Of course, it's beauty, too. Art. But if you ask me, an artist who doesn't love their work is just a scam artist."

brandnewb
2016-05-17, 08:26 PM
At that, Rebecca shakes her head, "I prefer to avoid that last part, when I can. The killing I mean. I'm all for stopping what's going on, but people are people, right? There's got to be good orcs somewhere. Just like there are bad humans sometimes."

"I've not much of a stomach for it either, but this is war Rebecca. There's going to be death."

"Wars end. Need to remember that someone has to pick up the pieces after and build something new. Better. Senseless killing, we might cut the throat of just that person and never realize it, even after it's too late."

Olivin frowns, "I am not one for prejudice, folks come in all shapes and I have met a few Orc half-breeds. They were decent chaps, perhaps a little rough around the edge. But no worse than many sailors I have worked with. But half breeds are not orcs, there is some good in a half breed. The half-orc and their human parent are just victims themselves. Orcs on the other hand, I have met hundreds of orcs. Met them as they put the lash to my back. When it comes to orcs it is not just a matter of war. It is a matter of survival. They will tear down all that we hold dear, and destroy the last drop of innocence we have left. The orcs are exactly the source of your senseless killing. Maybe somewhere there is a good orc, but Im not going to stop and check. Pharasma can judge me for that.

"'Rum' you call it? Don't know a drink by that name, sorry. Must be a thing where you're from. If you're looking for dwarven ale too keep you warm at night though, there's a brewery just out of the city in the hills to the northeast. The dwarves like their burrowing space. Shouldn't be hard to miss, it's the only building out that way aside a few farms here 'n there."

Some folks call rum Grog. Its a traditional naval drink, and is sometimes given as a ration. Has some good sugars and vitamins. Least thats what we tell ourselves. Ill go take a look when I get the time. This dwarven place sounds like just what I need.

"Gozreh, huh? Suppose it makes sense for a career sailor wanting to pray for favorable weather. Me, I was raised Shelynite. My sister and I were both taken in by the local cleric of Shelyn back in our hometown. What keeps me though? A lot of these big players people devote themselves to, forces 'beyond our understanding', seems like their first priority is their agenda. Their doctrine. Shelyn's doctrine seems so much simpler. No big plan or greater good. It's just love."

Judy snorts a bit as she laughs, but holds back further laughter. "Sorry. I get where you're from, that just sounded corny as 'ell."

"I'm under the influence," Rebecca justifies herself, taking another drink from her glass. "Of course, it's beauty, too. Art. But if you ask me, an artist who doesn't love their work is just a scam artist."

"That is the beauty of Gozreh. No colossal scheming. Tends not to medal in affairs like some gods. Respect the wind and the waves and they will care for you. The only true enemies of Gozreh are those whom are bent on the destruction of all."

H. Von Studley
2016-05-17, 08:31 PM
Edmund eyes the man skeptically. The scruffy old man was not exactly what he had expected. Nonetheless, he approaches, standing in front of the old gladiator and looking him in the eyes. He waits a moment, then begins in Ulselandic.

"Excuse me, sir. My name is Captain Edmund Grimace, of the Northeastern Fog. My ship is one of those that broke the blockade at Mirorhen.

"I have been trying to study the fighting styles of the Arena. The discipline of the Golden Lion, and others like it. I came across an old scroll that ...imparted some small understanding to me, and I seek to learn more.

"King Kenneth told me there was a gladiator who understood the Golden Lion, who had led men in the Arena of Alynnon and claimed victory through its tenets. He said his name was Ronaldo, and that I might find him amongst the refugees from Mirorhen. Are you that man?"