PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Warlock Help

defiantdan
2015-02-26, 07:02 AM
Greetings all,

I have been dming a game for about a month now and I'm getting a new player. the table is highly optimized(all tier 1's so far) but this new player is set to play a warlock. I'm allowing 4 flaws, pathfinder feat progression and no drag/dung magazine or book from wizard of the coast is off the table. Homebrew subject to review. Pathfinder if it is an easy conversion.

Feats: Iron Will, Improved Initiative, Extend Spell, Persistent Spell
Flaws: Feeble, Inattentive, Vulnerable, Murky Eyed
Warlock 1
Binder 1: Naberius
Warlock 2: Quicken SLA
Warlock 3
Warlock 4: Quicken SLA
Ur-Priest 1
Ur-Priest 2: Divine Metamagic (persistent)
Eldritch Disciple 1
Eldritch Disciple 2: Extra Rebuke
Hellfire Warlock 1
Hellfire Warlock 2: DMM (Extend)
Hellfire Warlock 3
Eldritch Disciple 3: Extra Rebuke
Eldritch Disciple 4
Eldritch Disciple 5: Extra Rebuke
Eldritch Disciple 6
Eldritch Disciple 7: Extra Rebuke
Eldritch Disciple 8
Eldritch Disciple 9: Extra Rebuke
Eldritch Disciple 10
Notes i've made:

Instead of grabbing Iron Will, grab Apprentice from DMG 2. I'm sure on of them will put Spellcraft on your list

you don't need iron Will for a while. This can be "purchased" by the magical location for3k. The party will be encountering the otyugh hole. found in Complete Scoundrel

More Flaws can be found in Dragon Magazines. if you go to Dragondex.com it has a list of flaws. They are marked
by an *. There is no crumch but they have listed which magazine it is found in.

DMM extend is a wasted feat considering how few of the buffs need extending. it would be better to just buy
metamagic rods of extend.

Lastly you mention being a glaivelock. They are good damage dealers but more optimally used as debuffers.
the strongest damage dealer is the Clawlock. Dragon Magazine 358.

Clawlock Feats: Eldritch Claws, Beast Strike

is there anything else he could do to get this character in line with the rest of the party?
cleric/Dweomerkeepr, Wizard/incant/initiate7veil, kobold cheese mailman, druid/planarshep.

Snowbluff
2015-02-26, 08:18 AM
Clawlock doesn't work with Hellfire Warlock. Eldritch Disciple and Hellfire Warlock are usually for eldritch glaive builds. Doing more damage as a clawlock would require almost an entirely different build.

You'll have a few problems keeping up with some of the strongest class/prc combos in the game. :l

prufock
2015-02-26, 08:19 AM
What is the starting level? Ur-lock is a good build later on, but weaker in the early stages.

defiantdan
2015-02-26, 09:43 AM
They are level 4 currently. I plan on taking them to level 20.

edit: if any of you could join this group what character would you bring to the table to help round it out? the 4 man dream team of ubers so to speak.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-02-26, 09:52 AM
There are better flaws (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?258440-The-quot-Best-quot-Flaws#30) than a few of those you picked.

Quicken Spell-Like Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#quickenSpellLikeAbility) has a minimum caster level requirement, you can't take it until 10th+ level.

His first Ur-Priest level is being taken too early, it requires eight ranks in two skills, so you cannot start taking it until after you've gained your 5th character level. A prestige class cannot be taken at the same level on which you gain its prerequisites, it can only be taken at the next level after you have all the prerequisites.

Iron Will from the Otyugh Hole doesn't cost anything if they actually play out visiting the location and staying there for however long it takes. The 3k price is if they gained it prior to the start of play, or during downtime without actually playing it out.

Mortalbane in BoVD can add +2d6 damage to his Eldritch Blast up to 5/day, though against undead, constructs, and outsiders that actually reduces the damage it deals, but he can just choose not to use the feat's effect when attacking creatures of those types.

Snowbluff
2015-02-26, 03:39 PM
edit: if any of you could join this group what character would you bring to the table to help round it out? the 4 man dream team of ubers so to speak.

Hm... well, the only uber I'm not seeing is StP Erudite. As far as actual conceivable weakness, it would be skills. Perhaps a Beguiler Shadowcaster build with a spellbook from a feat and Versatile Spellcaster.