PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Making the most of my air elemental familiar.

Curunir471
2015-02-26, 12:07 PM
Hello Playgrounders! I hope to find you well.

So here's my situation:

I am playing a raptoran sorcerer/mindbender(1)/Warmage(AOM)/Fiend-blooded
I took the substituiton level at first to get an air elemental familiar
Both DM's(more on that later) have ruled that as I gain class levels the elemental will gain HD(including hit points) and increase in size when appropriate
Familiar progression is based on caster level

This character is actually in use in two different groups of mine, in one of them His name is Daedelus he is 13th level, his familiar is currently a large air elemental named Icarus, currently I have been using him as a second (much larger) skin, to avoid getting hit. In the other, the one he was intended for his name is Vincent Mae'kun he is currently 2nd level, his familiar is currently a small air elemental named Reed, I've been using him to support my wings so that I can glide without losing distance(plus fly around like a jet at ground level which is a blast).

I was wondering how I could make the most of these wonderful airy things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zirconia
2015-02-27, 11:06 AM
The flyby attack feat they have can be nice with touch spells, especially with Spell Flower to let it hold more than one. I suggest a couple of Combusts.

For more fun, add the 4th level Flame Whips spell so it has two free 15' reach 6d6 melee attacks/round (remember you can cast personal range spells on your familiar). That lets even your small Air Elemental defend you with AoOs against anything that approaches, and during its round it can fly 50' out, attack something, and fly back to you with its perfect maneuverability and flyby attack.

Flickerdart
2015-02-27, 11:09 AM
The flyby attack feat they have can be nice with touch spells, especially with Spell Flower to let it hold more than one.
Spell Flower: You are able to hold the charge for one touch spell per arm of your body...

How many arms do Air Elementals have? The answer may surprise you.

Curunir471
2015-02-28, 02:45 PM
The flyby attack feat they have can be nice with touch spells, especially with Spell Flower to let it hold more than one. I suggest a couple of Combusts.

For more fun, add the 4th level Flame Whips spell so it has two free 15' reach 6d6 melee attacks/round (remember you can cast personal range spells on your familiar). That lets even your small Air Elemental defend you with AoOs against anything that approaches, and during its round it can fly 50' out, attack something, and fly back to you with its perfect maneuverability and flyby attack.

I'm loving the idea of the combusts, though they do have a size limit of 50lbs of material per caster level which may be an issue at lower levels, the spell flower thing may be a bit cheesy for either of my dm's.

Well he will grow up eventually, so he will have reach of his own, though the flame whips do sound fun in the mean time, maybe energy substitution for electricity to make them lightning whips... Something for me to consider.

Troacctid
2015-02-28, 03:04 PM
The Mind's Eye web enhancement has a variant that lets you substitute another type of energy. Link: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e

Curunir471
2015-02-28, 04:06 PM
The Mind's Eye web enhancement has a variant that lets you substitute another type of energy. Link: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e

This seems to be aimed at psionics, how could that be useful to me? I'm not trying to be dense, I just don't understand.