PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Looking for advice on a Character decision

DM12
2015-02-26, 03:46 PM
We're running the Lost Mines of Phandelver module right now and i was paging through it and noticed that I could potentially become part of the Harpers. Now I'm trying to decide if my character would join.
He's an elf wizard whose main goal in adventuring is to bring down corrupt nobles who he decides are abusing their power. He started with his father whom he grew up watching abuse the commoners under him. One day, around the day his younger sister declared her adulthood, he decided it was enough and he overthrew his father. (I haven't yet decided how he went about it but I know his sister and him were at odds because she wanted to just do away with their dad and he said that if they brought him down with the system their claim to his estate would be legitimate and no one could contest it.) I also got the trinket that said a book with the last chapter ripped out, so for some of you that speaks to a specific well known british tv character (I decided he was my master who taught me "magic"). Anyway I was just trying to decide if slipping into the shadows would be a good character choice.

DragonSinged
2015-02-26, 03:51 PM
We're running the Lost Mines of Phandelver module right now and i was paging through it and noticed that I could potentially become part of the Harpers. Now I'm trying to decide if my character would join.

As a DM... Ow. You just hurt my brain. If you're a player in a game, why would you be flipping through the module?

1pwny
2015-02-26, 03:58 PM
As a DM... Ow. You just hurt my brain. If you're a player in a game, why would you be flipping through the module?

Seconded! (random text to go over 10-character minimum)

Myzz
2015-02-26, 04:43 PM
besides that previewing the module part...

Being an Agent of the Harpers does not necessarily mean being a Harper!

BUt your background does mesh well with the Harpers:

main goal in adventuring is to bring down corrupt nobles who he decides are abusing their power
Not verbatim Harper but pretty darn close!

DM12
2015-03-02, 12:46 PM
Seconded! (random text to go over 10-character minimum)

I'm flipping through it because we don't have a dm for it. it's kind of a co-op thing. I'm a DM too so I know where you're coming from and I wouldn't be doing this otherwise, but someone has to know what's going on. I'm doing my best to not meta-game, but again someone has to be keeping the NPC's straight and no offense to my group but I'm probably the most qualified.

Myzz
2015-03-02, 03:22 PM
As a DM who happens to be playing in HoTDQ... I'd say wait till the April release and skip HotDQ. I'm not a fan in any way of HoTDQ. It could be the DM who is actually running it - Verbatim - from the module... I joined AFTER the first scene, which I am glad of since my character in no way would have become involved during the siege on Greenest. I'd lurk in distance and wait for it to be over and then go help survivors. But my Rogue would have been way too intelligent to go take on 1-an army and 2- a dragon and most especially 3 - Both at the same time!

In every chapter since, there seems to be some major pitfalls that potentially place the PC's in CR's twice their level or more. Only being able to avoid those instances after the first party member gets One Shotted, as in everyone runs... is not heroic and not really all that fun. We had 2 party members bow out of the campaign, and I think part of the reason was due to the railroading of the adventure into such impossible odds on multiple occasions.

Our TPK finally occurred due to 4 CR8 Assassins picking a fight with us and then attacking us (3 L4 PCs), when we ignored them...

We'll probably finish the module out, but I'm really only doing so since its my only option to play vice DM... Otherwise I don't want anything to do with it!

Shining Wrath
2015-03-02, 08:22 PM
You sound Harper-friendly. I think you may well try working as an agent of the Harpers for a while and see how it suits you, without any firm commitment.