PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Argent Fist

Man on Fire
2015-02-26, 06:47 PM
Okay, I was looking up Argent Fist PrC and I see some problems with it. I thought of maybe homebrewin a fix to it but I want to know what you guys think about my thoughts and if you see other problems with the class I missed

* It's insanely MAD, requiring you to have high WIS, CHA, STR and likely also CON and maybe DEX. Doesn't do anythign to reduce MAD either.
* One of requirements is Monastic Training, when Ascetic Knight instead could make your life before taking it much easier
* Allows you to wear armor, but then you lose all but one of monk abbilities, so it could as well be Paladin-only PrC with WIS to AC, yet at the same time allows you to stack levels of paladin and argent fist for monk abbilities
* Doesn't really play to strengths of either Paladin or Monk
Anything else?

Psyren
2015-02-26, 09:54 PM
Serenity and Intuitive Attack more or less fix the MAD issue.

It actually gets Ascetic Knight for free. Not only that, but if you already have Ascetic Knight, it lets you pick another feat to replace it.

Man on Fire
2015-02-27, 12:09 AM
Serenity and Intuitive Attack more or less fix the MAD issue.

It actually gets Ascetic Knight for free. Not only that, but if you already have Ascetic Knight, it lets you pick another feat to replace it.

Serenity and Intuitive Attack are respectively Dragon Mag and Exalted Feat, not every DM will allow that.

Psyren
2015-02-27, 12:13 AM
Serenity and Intuitive Attack are respectively Dragon Mag and Exalted Feat, not every DM will allow that.

And Argent Fist is setting-specific :smalltongue:

But yeah, if you're specifically looking for reasons that a combination of two low-tier classes might suck... you're probably going to find them without much effort.

animewatcha
2015-02-27, 02:29 AM
Wis and Cha have already been mentioned. Half-mino / ogre can take care of Str and Con leaving Dex to being for items.

Psyren
2015-02-27, 10:21 AM
You can also skip Dex - since Argent Fists can wear full plate, you can pump up your AC without worrying about it (and for most heavy armor a high Dex mod would just be wasted anyway, save for initiative, and there are ways to get Wis to initiative too.)