PDA

View Full Version : 5e Creatures

Tonden Ockay
2015-02-26, 07:23 PM
I like to use groups of things in %50 or more of my encounters.

That being said since a lot of creatures seem to be tougher/deadlier in 5e. I was thinking of using animals and reskining them as monster like creatures. Just until the PCs get up a few level. Whats your thoughts on this?

The background for these monsters creatures that the PC's have never seen before would be.

The PC set foot on a new content that was once ruled by a grate empire who's knowledge and understanding of magic reached such great hights that there was nothing they thought they could do. The felt they were second only to the gods. However they experimenting with magic was the cause of their demise hundreds if not thousands of years ago. Now there is nothing left but ruins and never seen before beasts.

DireSickFish
2015-02-26, 07:44 PM
Re-skinning is one of the oldest and best tricks in the book. There are a lot of animals to chose from across a wide variety of CR's with many rider effects. For the most part they don't have any spells or saving throws so are straightforward to use. They're also all in one place which makes it easier to find what you need. Seems like a good idea to me. Don't be afraid to play with HP to make "boss" monsters or mooks to differentiate them.

Tonden Ockay
2015-02-26, 08:08 PM
Thanks

I just haven't bought a MM yet, although I need to get one. We are planing on getting together a week from this Sunday.

Draken
2015-02-26, 09:26 PM
I like to use groups of things in %50 or more of my encounters.

That being said since a lot of creatures seem to be tougher/deadlier in 5e. I was thinking of using animals and reskining them as monster like creatures. Just until the PCs get up a few level. Whats your thoughts on this?

The background for these monsters creatures that the PC's have never seen before would be.

The PC set foot on a new content that was once ruled by a grate empire who's knowledge and understanding of magic reached such great hights that there was nothing they thought they could do. The felt they were second only to the gods. However they experimenting with magic was the cause of their demise hundreds if not thousands of years ago. Now there is nothing left but ruins and never seen before beasts.

You can always use lower CR creatures for groups.

Tenmujiin
2015-02-28, 08:31 AM
Its not hard to raise or lower the CR of a monster though it can be a little time consuming, if you want creatures that are completely different to anything known then reskinning something of appropriate CR would probably be best though.

ProphetSword
2015-03-01, 09:06 PM
There are rules and guidelines for creating and modifying monsters in the Dungeon Master's Guide. If you don't have that, you should probably pick it up.

themaque
2015-03-05, 11:40 AM
There are rules and guidelines for creating and modifying monsters in the Dungeon Master's Guide. If you don't have that, you should probably pick it up.

Agreed, this is one of my favorite DMG's for helping newer DM's.

Gritmonger
2015-03-05, 12:55 PM
...and I might be mistaken, but I think some basic critters were included in one of the handouts. Reskinning those would be trivial and give you challenge ratings of 0, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and I think 1 or 2. One of my faves is the giant centipede. It's got a nonlethal 3d6 paralytic poison with a DC 11 CON save. It is pretty nasty for CR 1/4.

Fyorl
2015-03-06, 08:18 AM

Netherese Empire (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Netheril)

aspekt
2015-03-06, 03:56 PM
Agreed, this is one of my favorite DMG's for helping newer DM's.

I completely concur. Started playing with 1ed and this is probably the best DMs guide yet. Lots useful tables and such, but not an overwhelming amount combined with a lot of solid practical suggestions for running a game.