PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Building a monster

AsheItachi
2015-02-26, 08:31 PM
So this monster I need to make sure im doing the CR and building it right. As I am or always try to make sure I stick to the rules.

I have a skeleton template. Hes a monster that wonders a dungeon designed by a mad lich. He is epcialized at being sneaky and stealthy. I want him to have 3 main focuses.
1. Grappling
2. Stealth
3. Retreat.

I was looking to just have him imbued with Spell like ablities by the lich.
SLA Deeper darkness, Silence, And some kinda Teletport

The point of these monsters is when wandering where they are commanded they wait to find any fools who stumble in there area .... wait and drop darkness. Grapple a person and then try and teleport with them away to a special place where some kinda butcher zombie is with a whole torture room of fun

Skeleton CR 2
XP 600
NE Medium undead
Init +4; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +0
Aura of Silence (20 ft)

DEFENSE
AC 18, touch 16, flat-footed 16 (+4 armor,+2 Dex, +2 natural, –1 size)
hp 22 (4d8+4)
Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4
DR 5/bludgeoning; Immune cold, undead traits

OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft. (40 ft. base)
Melee 2 claws +7 (1d6+5)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
SQ (Sa) Teleport /3day Deeper Darkness 3/day

STATISTICS
Str 20, Dex 14, Con —, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 14
Base Atk +3; CMB +9 (+2 Grapple); CMD 19
Feats Improved Grapple

MorgromTheOrc
2015-02-26, 08:57 PM
So this monster I need to make sure im doing the CR and building it right. As I am or always try to make sure I stick to the rules.

I have a skeleton template. Hes a monster that wonders a dungeon designed by a mad lich. He is epcialized at being sneaky and stealthy. I want him to have 3 main focuses.
1. Grappling
2. Stealth
3. Retreat.

I was looking to just have him imbued with Spell like ablities by the lich.
SLA Deeper darkness, Silence, And some kinda Teletport

The point of these monsters is when wandering where they are commanded they wait to find any fools who stumble in there area .... wait and drop darkness. Grapple a person and then try and teleport with them away to a special place where some kinda butcher zombie is with a whole torture room of fun

Skeleton CR 2
XP 600
NE Medium undead
Init +4; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +0
Aura of Silence (20 ft)

DEFENSE
AC 18, touch 16, flat-footed 16 (+4 armor,+2 Dex, +2 natural, –1 size)
hp 22 (4d8+4)
Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4
DR 5/bludgeoning; Immune cold, undead traits

OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft. (40 ft. base)
Melee 2 claws +7 (1d6+5)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
SQ (Sa) Teleport /3day Deeper Darkness 3/day

STATISTICS
Str 20, Dex 14, Con —, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 14
Base Atk +3; CMB +9 (+2 Grapple); CMD 19
Feats Improved Grapple

I don't see anything too stand-offishly rule breaking, except how is this CR 2? I mean I know it has low health but, SLA's, and 20 strength? I definitely see some dead PCs if it uses tactics like you said. Just ask yourself, is this really the same level of danger as say... a black bear? Unless you want to kill people then hey go ahead.

AsheItachi
2015-02-26, 09:03 PM
I don't see anything too stand-offishly rule breaking, except how is this CR 2? I mean I know it has low health but, SLA's, and 20 strength? I definitely see some dead PCs if it uses tactics like you said. Just ask yourself, is this really the same level of danger as say... a black bear? Unless you want to kill people then hey go ahead.

The CR isnt .... uhm exactly representative of the creatures challenge rating. I am looking for advice or input on what it should be. I know the teleport is only usiable to the two torture rooms the butcher has.

And I think Im going to take there SLA's down to once per day.

Maglubiyet
2015-02-27, 05:57 PM
It's a cool idea, but maybe this would be easier as a trap? It sounds like the real challenge will be the butcher's chamber and these skeletons are just a method to get them there. Have them be normal skeletons that are the trigger for a stationary trap -- teleportation circle in an area of permanent darkness that activates for a PC only when touched by one.

Would a lich blow the components for a 5th-level spell ability on a glassy skeleton that would use its own teleport as soon as it was turned by a 1st-level cleric? (...turned undead flee by the fastest means available to them...)

Unless you plan to have these guys roaming the countryside teleporting random victims back to base? Anyway, from the spell text, not sure Teleport works on unwilling targets.