PDA

View Full Version : Charging character for the level 10+ game.

paigeoliver
2007-04-07, 11:54 PM
I have a highly focused charging character that I have been playing for a while. I should end the year at 9th level (still have the last round of red hand of doom to go).

This is a character in the Living Greyhawk campaign, which means I can't just ask my DM for things, and I am sort of limited in what feats and classes I can take. Most of the things from the races and complete books are available, but the rest is a crapshoot. I will be able to buy Rhino Hide armor soon, and plan on buying it (as a raging charger my AC sucks as much in full plate as it does in hide armor, so I might as well grab an extra 2d6 damage).

I was originally working towards a single level beastmaster build to get a dire bat mount, but I just kept dying. I died 3 times so far. And in the end I started taking Outcast champion levels rather than beastmaster levels, because every time I would get close to that darn bat I would just die. Also in Living Greyhawk EL +3 is the norm, however most modules don't have more than 3 fights.

For level 10+ would I be better off with a Dire bat mount for flying action, or I could just purchase the stone horse I have access to. I have tunnel riding, so squeezing isn't nearly as much of a problem for me than it is for most riding characters. I also spent a bit of GP and a couple time units for access to powerful charge a while back. I know that doesn't work mounted, but it might be good for when I am stuck unmounted.

I am a high str, high charisma half-orc (originally human), Barbarian 1/Fighter 2/ Marshall 2/ Outcast champion X. Charging marshall aura. Spirited charge, tunnel riding and power attack.

I am kind of thinking at this point if I take the beastmaster level and get the bat that it will just die left and right and I will be left unmounted. I do want to take the entire Outcast Champion class because I figure it is a no-brainer for an 18 charisma half-orc.

The characters damage output is very intense, but she is really a glass hammer. I have yet to ever survive a full round attack from a big nasty beast (just got my CON up to 12 today with a con amulet).

Any suggestions for the high level action? I do have access to powerful charge, all kinds of stone horses, horseshoes of speed and zephyr, and I have a certed warhorse with about 60 hit points, and people who are far into red hand should know about some other access I might have. Paladin levels are out of the question as the character is true neutral and RP-wise is more concerned with her reputation than she is about doing the right thing.

As far as roleplay goes, the character is a young adventurer from a well-off Verbobonc family that breeds warhorses and Dire bats (separately), however her family has become more and more distant since her reincarnation as a half orc. She recently married a half-orc traveling companion, holding to a promise that she would marry him if she ever died and turned into a half-orc. Embarrassingly enough that happened only a few hours after that promise.

JaronK
2007-04-08, 01:43 AM
If you have access, the main feats for a charger should be Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Shock Trooper, and Leap Attack (the last two are CompWar and CompAdv).

JaronK

SolkaTruesilver
2007-04-08, 02:21 AM
The more you get Outcast champion, the more your avenging strike kick asses. I don't see why taking up to 5th level wouldn't be worth it.

But for a good charging character, there is always the Paladin variant in PHB2. You trade the special mount for a +2/level damage when you Charge+Smite. Which means you get +30 damage at level 10, +45 at level 15, and so on...

Roderick_BR
2007-04-08, 04:52 AM
Add Power Charger and Improved Power Charger from the miniatures handbook for +2d6 damage everytime you charge, if you have the available feats. Knockdown is a plus to keep people down if you don't give enough damage to finish them off in one strike.