PDA

View Full Version : Help me create this [Something]

shaka gl
2007-04-08, 12:27 AM
So, Having recently watched the movie "300", i got the idea of adding something like the Inmortals to my BBEG. Thats, for those who have neither watched the film nor read the comic, something like the Top-of-the Notch milittia, the strongest group of soldiers of this dude`s army. So, my BBEG is a snow elven wizard lich and the whole army is composed by snow elves, winter wolves, frost giants and the like. He likes to freeze things.

But, i happen to be really out of ideas, and i wanted to see how this "really cool, butt kicking bunch of frozen-like things" you think could be. It could be a class, a PrC, a template or even a unique race, i dont really know right now. Ill really apprecciate the ideas you have, even silly ones.

Oh, and their CR should be somewhere between 10 and 15.

Legoman
2007-04-08, 01:41 AM
"Frost Revenant"

Fighter 1/Sorcerer 5/ Eldrich Knight 5-9

Casts as a 9-14 level Sorcerer.
+6/+1 - +10/+5 attack bonus.

+That feat from Frostburn that makes all your spells have the cold descriptor
+ Those feats from Frostburn that pump up the Save DC of all cold spells (2 feats for +2)

Bonus points if you give them +1 Blue-Ice Full-Plate, a +1 Blue-Ice Tower Shield, and and big mace.

+5 Shield bonus to AC and +9 bonus to Armor? Gods yes.

Extra credit if you give them a ring of avoidance. (MIC 122)

Wizard/Fighters with a 34+ AC? That's pretty harsh.

Even for an unoptimized evoker build, between Snowcasting, Cold Focus, Greater Cold Focus, Spell Focus Evocation, GSF: Evoc, you're getting +4 saves with all your cold spells in massive armor with melee capability.

I'm thinking these guys just wade into melee, and then cone of cold. Or, you know, whatever, Cloudkill or something that requires a save.

Fizban
2007-04-08, 02:24 AM
Um, what? The spell failure on that would be insane.

I'll come up with some basic ideas.

Two questions: what books do you have, and do you want them to be "scary super strong mook slaughtering terrors", or an actual credible threat to the PCs?

First off: Martial Adepts. Anything melee gets cooler when you add Tome of Battle. Use desert wind and substitute cold for fire, add levels ass needed. Swordsages aren't as strong melee monsters, so use warblade and feats to gain the maneuvers you need. Crusaders can heal themselves, and are therefore also a good choice for stamina. Flame's blessing changed to Frost's blessing would be good to avoid friendly fire. Cannabablizing the Jade Phoenix Mage PrC would be great as well.

Let's see, snow elves get -2 charisma, so if they're going to be part caster you want int or wis based. Arcane is usually more badass, but divine can cast in armor. Martial adepts don't need charisma, so they're fine too. Duskblades use intelligence, but they don't have any cold spells.

Weapons: I like the Ritiik from Frostburn, as it baisically gives you a free trip attack if you hit. The target also takes the same damage over again when the weapon is removed, but that requires a full action, so it would be best to stab-> trip-> quickdraw-> stab with something else.

Armor: Legoman's got it right with Blue Ice armor, but THF is better for killing things than a tower shield. With blue ice breastplate, you can get a caster with cast in light armor functioning.

Kellus
2007-04-08, 02:39 AM
I know that when I watched 300, I saw the Immortals and something in my head screamed out Ghost-Faced Killer (from Complete Adventurer).

They're basically strong warriors who turn invisible, sneak up on people, and scare them to death. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to put a bit of a frozen spin on them, and due to the flavour of the whole class it seems perfect for an elite cadre of minions.

Rowanomicon
2007-04-08, 04:00 AM
I know this is technically impossible, but you're the DM and who cares: Vampiric Chraal.
Chraal are in MM3.

Also you might want to look at the Ice Elemental template on crystal keep.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-08, 06:17 AM
To be closest to the real life immortals? Just give them fighter instead of warrior levels. They're basically the professional soldiers in the army, similar to Samurai, Knights or Houskarls. Give them the Shocktrooper feat.

For supernatural elite snow elves look at some of the Prcs in Frostburn like Knight of the Iron Glacier or Disciple of Thrym. Frostrager would be pretty nasty. Since your BBEG is a lich you could also look at the Death's Chosen Prc from Liber Mortis. If you want undead then the Winterspawn in Frostburn is already the perfect elite soldier with a cold connection. If you only have the core books an Army of Blackguards can be quite mean.

shaka gl
2007-04-08, 11:02 AM
As far as books go: I have basics, Completes, ToB (recently aquired, still studying it), Frostburn, MM II and III, PHB II and some FR material.

Two questions: what books do you have, and do you want them to be "scary super strong mook slaughtering terrors", or an actual credible threat to the PCs?

Both. The idea would be for them to be something quite impossible for the pcs to defeat at first (theyre actually lvl 8); but later on, as the pcs gain levels, become a credible (hence, defeatable) threat.

To be closest to the real life immortals?

Nope. From that i just got the basic idea of the "really cool, best of the best soldiers"; i dont want to adapt the Inmortals, just the basic concept.

Weapons: I like the Ritiik from Frostburn

Armor: Legoman's got it right with Blue Ice armor

Hell, yeah. Both of them.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-08, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't use Tome of Battle for footsoldiers even Elite ones. If they're a commando unit I would use Tomb of Battle though. Knight class would be better.

shaka gl
2007-04-08, 11:39 AM
Okay, crazy idea alert, comment on it:

Ranger 2/[Something that casts] 3/ Disciple of Thyrm 10

The DoT PrC would be modified to use Ritiik instead of Greataxe and flavour-based into another deity...

Legoman
2007-04-08, 12:30 PM
Um, what? The spell failure on that would be insane.

I'll come up with some basic ideas.

Armor: Legoman's got it right with Blue Ice armor, but THF is better for killing things than a tower shield. With blue ice breastplate, you can get a caster with cast in light armor functioning.

I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that cold spells cast in blue ice have 0% spell failure.

Since you have snowcasting, everything is cold.

Hence, tank-casters.

Fizban
2007-04-08, 12:44 PM
Nope, the blue ice description says that spell failure is unchanged.