PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Coming up with exciting encounters/challenges for a party full of wizards

SangoProduction
2015-02-27, 12:43 AM
Foreknowledge: These wizards will be leveling relatively quickly, and the challenges should last about 1.5 hours at longest (ignoring player incompetence), as that is the length of our sessions. They are all wizards, so they can do stuff that a regular group just couldn't (like covering every spell in the phb, and have at least one use for every situation). Combat is second priority. Interesting puzzles or challenges are higher. Oh, did I forget to mention that the area that the campaign takes place in is an area linked to the plane of chaos?

What I'm asking for: Reviews/suggestions for what I already have. Other cool and interesting ideas (don't even need to be fully formed, just the basic idea). Some ideas for resources the players could get their hands on to learn about the challenge before confronting it could be nice.

For the first challenge: They will be in a courtyard which will be filled with small fire elementals in the shape of gigantic fire ants, and have all the quirks associated with fire ants. They also are extremely single-minded as a whole, focusing the entirety of the small group (compared to ant colonies) of fire ants on their first target (whatever they sense first). As well, they are deterred by cold, and attracted to heat that isn't from the elementals. Damaging these ants does nothing, as the players have been warned.
In this courtyard, there are 2 platforms, 80 feet across from each other. These will be free of the fire ants at all times. The players will start on one, and on the other lies the set of keys that each of them must obtain. In the same platform as the keys, there's a statue of a minotaur.
It has fiery rubies for eyes (symbolic of evocation). Turquoise skull cap (for divination). I don't know what would be appropriate for illusion, abjuration, and necromancy. Perhaps a mirror shield for illusion/abjuration, and an obsidian bone (wielded as a club) for necromancy. I also don't know what exactly I'm going to do with it exactly. I might have it animate if they solved it too quickly, or I might just have a part of it light up when the associated characters nab their keys just to freak them out.
Do you guys have any better ideas for this, particularly with regards to the minotaur?

For the second: (after which, the game will become much more open, so general ideas are needed from this point on) During a caravan trip to deliver food to a town, a chaos storm erupts and creates 3 tornadoes that go around the town, inexplicably (at least until the PCs find more out). Their goal is to complete the delivery and get out without harm, and without losing the food. I figure there would be multiple ways of defeating this challenge, but I kind of feel like the illusionist and necromancer might feel a bit left out (especially if they stuck to their specialization, as I encouraged, though didn't rule).
I can't really think of a way to make an illusionist very relevant to this, as these are mindless tornadoes, same with necromancy. Any ideas as to how to make those 2 relevant in this challenge?

For the rest that I nabbed from one of my previous campaigns (not with this group): A couple of logic puzzles, such as a maze with a clue somewhere along the lines "the right side will guide the way" and stepping of the safe areas would result in a minor shock (increasing in intensity the longer they are off the path). The safe areas would be to the right side of angel statues scattered around the room. There would also be a row of demon statues on the right and left side of the room just to screw with the initial logic of the clue.

As well as a puzzle where the clue is "arrange the squares to get across". With a table that looks like the room it is in. From this table, they can move ..7 platforms I think. The lake they are trying to get across is the width of the 7 platforms. However, the area across the lake has a semi-transparent wall that prevents teleportation, that is only opened if the puzzle is solved (which made for a hilarious Windex commercial last time it was used and the druid shape shifted into a crow). As well, the lake's water level rises with each movement of these platforms, and it's full of piranhas just because. The platforms also flip violently if they aren't in the correct pattern, and someone stands on them (with all feet). Unlike what you'd think at first, you actually need to arrange the squares into "a cross" instead of anything else. At which point, the invisible wall drops, and covers the lake allowing free passage. (Possible to change it so that the water level drops every time a platform's been flipped, if your party can't figure it out in enough moves.)

From replies
FightStyles The party walks up to a door inscribed with Silent Image+Silent Image+True Strike+Crown of Madness. *I am unsure of the actual use of these spells so bear with me*
They walk inside and they immediately realize they are in a theater. All of the chairs are empty and the curtains are closed. The curtains won't open completely, however, the players are allowed behind to the stage. Once back, they see a golden door and above it the words "Et tu, Brute?" on the lower portion of a plaque with two other empty spots. The door is locked by magical means and cannot be dispelled. Once any of the PCs look back to the chairs, the room is now filled with ghostly people dressed fancy and all in their seats. The PCs are then grabbed by magical restraints pulling them backstage, leaving their hands free but no effort will release them. Then, the curtains open as an anonymous announcer beckons, "Let the show begin!". The characters are suppose to work together to form the scene of Brutus murdering Ceasar using the combo effect of the spells, Silent Image=Caesar, Silent Image=Brutus, True Strike on Brutus, Crown of Madness on Caesar. If they get it right, the crowd cheers, throwing treasures on stage (loot). If not, they throw fruit and vegetables which end up being creatures they must defeat (blights). Once defeated, they hear a ding coming from above the door and see now the description "The death of Caesar" on the upper portion of the plaque. Once again they must try to form the scene. Same succes and failure, except less treasure from the succes and harder monsters from the failure. Then another ding, but this time a picture of the scene shows on the plaque in the remaining blank spot. Success is even less, failure is hardest yet (probably deafeating Caesar himself who must be stabbed in the back to be defeated). Once defeated, the door unlocks.

FightStyles
2015-02-27, 09:54 AM
I must commend you on what you are trying to do first and foremost. Creating a puzzle adventure would probably be one of the hardest type of campaign to DM. Is the campaign a series of puzzles or are they linked somehow with RP and some battles in between? Some sort of theme should probably be present, or the campaign might not make any sense. A.k.a. keep your puzzles, but reflavor them so they seem to go together. For instance, instead of water with pirannhas rising, it could be a lake of fire to go along with your fire elementals. Also, since you will be focusing on puzzles, it might be a good idea to make a challenge where you must do A for B to happen. Rather, if they do A, then they recieve a bigger prize and B eventually happens, but with more trouble.

With that being said, I would pick a couple spells to "build" the puzzles around since they are all wizards. (What fun is a wizard if he/she can't use magic to solve everything?) A unique idea would be what I would call the "combo effect", which is a combination of spells required to solve the puzzle.

A combo effect example:

The party walks up to a door inscribed with Silent Image+Silent Image+True Strike+Crown of Madness. *I am unsure of the actual use of these spells so bear with me*
They walk inside and they immediately realize they are in a theater. All of the chairs are empty and the curtains are closed. The curtains won't open completely, however, the players are allowed behind to the stage. Once back, they see a golden door and above it the words "Et tu, Brute?" on the lower portion of a plaque with two other empty spots. The door is locked by magical means and cannot be dispelled. Once any of the PCs look back to the chairs, the room is now filled with ghostly people dressed fancy and all in their seats. The PCs are then grabbed by magical restraints pulling them backstage, leaving their hands free but no effort will release them. Then, the curtains open as an anonymous announcer beckons, "Let the show begin!". The characters are suppose to work together to form the scene of Brutus murdering Ceasar using the combo effect of the spells, Silent Image=Caesar, Silent Image=Brutus, True Strike on Brutus, Crown of Madness on Caesar. If they get it right, the crowd cheers, throwing treasures on stage (loot). If not, they throw fruit and vegetables which end up being creatures they must defeat (blights). Once defeated, they hear a ding coming from above the door and see now the description "The death of Caesar" on the upper portion of the plaque. Once again they must try to form the scene. Same succes and failure, except less treasure from the succes and harder monsters from the failure. Then another ding, but this time a picture of the scene shows on the plaque in the remaining blank spot. Success is even less, failure is hardest yet (probably deafeating Caesar himself who must be stabbed in the back to be defeated). Once defeated, the door unlocks.

SangoProduction
2015-02-27, 10:45 AM
Yes, they will be connected with RP and occasional battles as well, but since my question regarded only puzzles, and that's the only thing I think I need help with. Not to mention, I can't control what forums my players look up lol.
Interlocking puzzles. Interesting enough lol. As a game designer, I don't know how I forgot about that technique.
Very interesting idea. I like it. I think the subject matter may be a bit obscure for my group, but I can adopt the idea - especially considering the locale I was planning for them after the second challenge was an "abandoned" inn.

Endarire
2015-02-28, 03:05 AM
What about antimagic fields where the party needs to solve things to get their magic back? What about golems or magic-immune creatures as opponents or obstacles?

SangoProduction
2015-02-28, 03:06 PM
What about antimagic fields where the party needs to solve things to get their magic back? What about golems or magic-immune creatures as opponents or obstacles?

I was actually thinking about posting this as part of my original post, as it would be a fairly obvious thing to challenge them...but I've not got many ideas for anti-magic fields as puzzles in and of themselves. Though, of course, they could be put on other puzzles, as in the case of the tile-moving one, where they can't teleport through to the other side.

Shining Wrath
2015-02-28, 03:21 PM
For solving puzzles I propose this general scheme:
1) With no clues, the puzzles require a skill check, perhaps Investigate, of level 30. In other words, nope.
2) There are clues that can be solved or found by making appropriate skill checks. Each one reduces the primary skill check by some amount
3) When you solve the primary skill check, you now know what you need to do to advance
4) Then, there's actually DOING what is needed to advance

For the classic example of the doors into the Mines of Moria:
1) Gandalf found the doors quickly enough, reducing the DC to 25 or so, because he already knew where they were
2) Gandalf was able to read the inscription on the door since he knew the relevant languages, reducing the DC to 20
3) Eventually, Frodo realized (Intelligence(History) check) what the inscription MEANT, and the puzzle was solved
4) To advance, the necessary action was to speak the Elven word for "friend", which Gandalf was able to do easily

SangoProduction
2015-03-01, 11:12 PM
I tend to really dislike just a bunch of rolling...but I'll see if your scheme is appropriate for what I have in mind.

SharkForce
2015-03-02, 01:21 AM

why would you even do this?

if someone said "hey, how do i come up with exciting challenges for a party of fighters", would your answer be "use lots of monsters that take away extra attacks and are immune to all weapon damage, magical or otherwise"?

nuking their abilities from orbit sounds like the worst possible solution. if it's an all-mage campaign that everyone went into voluntarily, the thing that you should never do is make everyone not a mage. just like an all-rogue campaign would likely be about stealth and intrigue, and an all-warrior campaign would likely be about combat, duels, and... well, okay, that's basically all warriors do, so just that...

an all-mage campaign should be about everyone being a mage. not about everyone not having their abilities. there should be more problems that can be solved by magic, not problems to be solved so that they can have their magic at all.

FightStyles
2015-03-02, 09:40 AM

If you use this at all, make sure they are small and very precise antimagic fields. Also, they shouldn't block out All magic, only specific spells or schools.

Tbh, I hope you make up puzzles as a hobby and have done it for a while. Puzzles tend to be too hard or too easy, both of which are no fun. If you don't have much experience, I would heavily rely on puzzles with consequences that don't hinder them from proceding, but only make things more difficult. Or give them a couple of tries to get it right until they pass. This will provide the puzzle with a sense of accomplishment if they succeed without too many failures, but don't get frustrated trying over and over with no avail.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

SangoProduction
2015-03-02, 07:54 PM
No, I really don't focus on much of anything that requires too much thinking, but I was hoping to change that. Thanks for the advice.

Shining Wrath
2015-03-02, 08:02 PM
May I suggest secret doors / concealed doors / invisible creatures so that monsters attack from the rear? Wizards often throw up walls or summon meat shields and will be dismayed to find unexpected foes in the rear.

SangoProduction
2015-03-02, 08:53 PM
May I suggest secret doors / concealed doors / invisible creatures so that monsters attack from the rear? Wizards often throw up walls or summon meat shields and will be dismayed to find unexpected foes in the rear.

Yes. Invisible creatures do tend to make things interesting.

Endarire
2015-04-02, 04:11 PM
So, what happened? I'm curious to know the details!

Shining Wrath
2015-04-02, 08:04 PM
If you want to make them burn through spell slots ...

Standard trap of "teleport into room which starts filling with water".

Oh good, there's a door!
Oh bad, it's locked!

Knock.

Oh good, it's open!
Oh bad, the noise disturbed a swarm of bats which fly around for a couple of rounds, then return to the ceiling out of sight.

Oh worse, there's another locked door.

Repeat for as many locked doors as you think is necessary to get the point across that mundanes have their place in a party :smallbiggrin:

Logosloki
2015-04-03, 06:24 AM
If you want to make them burn through spell slots ...

Standard trap of "teleport into room which starts filling with water".

Oh good, there's a door!
Oh bad, it's locked!

Knock.

Oh good, it's open!
Oh bad, the noise disturbed a swarm of bats which fly around for a couple of rounds, then return to the ceiling out of sight.

Oh worse, there's another locked door.

Repeat for as many locked doors as you think is necessary to get the point across that mundanes have their place in a party :smallbiggrin:

Running that "puzzle" is just you as a DM throwing your toys out of the cot. And besides, mundanes would completely fail at this task if none of them bring thieve's tools. I assume the door must be picked because there are many ways for casters to break a door down, including a cleric, paladin, warlock or an Eldritch Knight bashing it in. Also, one caster in a caster party having a set of thieve's tools is a given as well as the casters have to be able to cover each other and one person having a tool proficiency isn't hard to think of.

Shining Wrath
2015-04-03, 09:37 AM
Running that "puzzle" is just you as a DM throwing your toys out of the cot. And besides, mundanes would completely fail at this task if none of them bring thieve's tools. I assume the door must be picked because there are many ways for casters to break a door down, including a cleric, paladin, warlock or an Eldritch Knight bashing it in. Also, one caster in a caster party having a set of thieve's tools is a given as well as the casters have to be able to cover each other and one person having a tool proficiency isn't hard to think of.

The goal is to have a challenge for a party of four wizards. Of course the door can be bashed down, but that's a loud noise that sets off the bat swarm. If none of the wizards thought to have proficiency in thieves' tools, that is a problem, isn't it?

And remember, I said you're draining spell slots. Making a party run through resources before BBEG is standard operating procedures for DM's.

Vogonjeltz
2015-04-04, 08:16 AM

Ahem, I believe the party in question is one of wizards. So although it might be true that a Paladin can bash down a door, it's also doing nothing to help those poor Wizards who have exactly 0 tool proficiencies to draw down on.

SharkForce
2015-04-04, 09:51 AM
Ahem, I believe the party in question is one of wizards. So although it might be true that a Paladin can bash down a door, it's also doing nothing to help those poor Wizards who have exactly 0 tool proficiencies to draw down on.

one of them can easily choose an appropriate background, and bashing the door down could be done by summoned creatures, or even just by firebolting it repeatedly (you've got a bunch of wizards, each of which can launch firebolts hot enough to put a human peasant into a coma fairly easily).

Shining Wrath
2015-04-04, 04:56 PM
one of them can easily choose an appropriate background, and bashing the door down could be done by summoned creatures, or even just by firebolting it repeatedly (you've got a bunch of wizards, each of which can launch firebolts hot enough to put a human peasant into a coma fairly easily).

Yep. Summon something big enough, it can smash down a door or doors. And the bats go crazy and your wizards get repeatedly swarmed. In the mean time, if the DC to smash down the doors is higher than the DC to pick the locks, time is wasting and the water is getting deeper.

The meme that a party of all casters is always, every time, better than a party with mundanes in it does not hold true for an even modestly clever DM.

SharkForce
2015-04-04, 05:10 PM
Yep. Summon something big enough, it can smash down a door or doors. And the bats go crazy and your wizards get repeatedly swarmed. In the mean time, if the DC to smash down the doors is higher than the DC to pick the locks, time is wasting and the water is getting deeper.

The meme that a party of all casters is always, every time, better than a party with mundanes in it does not hold true for an even modestly clever DM.

oh hey look, it's a horde of small weak creatures. yes, that will surely threaten a party that has powerful AOE damage spells. and certainly, the process of summoning a strong creature to smash down doors will also require that the casters all stand right next to the door smeared in bat food to attract said swarm. that goes without saying, right?

or, alternately, they could just... you know... stand back from the door. it's not like the bats are likely to stick around in the deathtrap once they spot it with their 60 foot range blindvision, after all.

Ionsniper
2015-04-04, 09:56 PM
Here's an idea for an anti magic field puzzle. You enter a room that immediately seals itself shut. Inside you find one room with 9 doors. One door leads to the next part of the dungeon. Every other door is marked with unreadable runes. Each room corresponds with a school of magic. Each room you can ONLY cast spells of that school.

So for instance you enter the necromancy room. You have a high lvl rogue skeleton or zombie that you have to take control of to unlock the door they came out of. Make the resist non existent so they can do it at any level.

Evocation room has a monster that needs to be hit in a certain order with certain elements to beat the challenge. Kinda like Simon says.

Illusion has some sort of illusion based puzzle that utilizes the Illusory reality ability and the wizzies need to use minor illusions to solve a puzzle.

Abujration could be they walk in to see a paladin and a demon fighting and completely ignores them. They have to use buff spells on the Paladin and disabling Abujration spells on the Demon so that the Paladin can win.

Conjuration could deal with summoning creatures to defeat a puzzle and make sure all switches in the room are hit at the same time. Make the switches make some sounds everytime they use em so they think something is happening.

Divination could deal with seeing into the future a bit and avoiding traps as they navigate a hallway or a falling ceiling and such as well as seeing which way to proceed.

Enchantment could be about keeping people under control and how well the wizards are at dealing with multiple hostile at the same time. Unless all but one are cced then they at as normal for low dmg and if they are they all start taking damage regularly and have a disadvantage to break free.

Transmutation could be turning simple items into new items that have to be used in separate rooms that require you to change shape or polymorph into a different creature. Like an air shafts that goes straight up that only a bird can reach that needs a platinum rod and small tunnel that a cat can go into. A pedestal that rises only when something massive stands on a platform to push it down.

That's some ideas you can use involving anti magic fields and puzzles that involve using the mechanics to help.

Ionsniper
2015-04-04, 10:01 PM
Oh and forgot for the main room is a safe area where they can rest and prep spells. With a gem signifying every school that when complete, beams to a gem in the center of the room. After every challenge is done they then have to cast one of every spell school into the gem to unlock the door.