PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Eldritch Theurge - Eldritch Spellweave and Greatreach Blast shenanigans?

T.G. Oskar
2015-02-27, 01:15 AM
Recently, to exercise my character building skills, I decided to do some builds for fun, and ended up with a Tiefling going into Half-Fiend using the Transition class in the WotC archives, taking levels in Sorcerer and Warlock to end up with Eldritch Theurge. I won't delve into the exact specifics (other than Transition Classes + LA buy-off = fun!), but after checking up on the Eldritch Theurge PrC, I noticed a few fun things.

Specifically, on its actual class features.

While Spellblast isn't exactly amazing, I noticed that Eldritch Spellweave on a Sorcerer taking a few Essence Invocations led to pretty amazing tricks: for example, it makes for an interesting alternative to Energy Substitution (for example, Polar Rays that deal Acid damage and ignore SR), or a Disintegrate spell that stacks a potential sicken effect on top. Kinda tricky because you can only add the Essence Invocation to spells of the same level or higher (so no Enervation + Utterdark Blast, for example, but if you could find an 8th level spell that affects a single target, it'd be fair play - again, Polar Ray works wonders). Apparently, it also works with metamagic; while you don't alter the spell itself, it leads to fun mix-ups (Utterdark Blast + Fell Drain, or Frightful Blast + Fell Frighten to deal damage and stack fear effects.

Then there's Greatreach Blast. It's an invocation, and what it does is extend the reach of melee touch spells through your Eldritch Blast. The fun part, at least in the way it stands, is how unclear the spell's effect is in terms of DC; if the spell is modified as Eldritch Blast does (counting as a spell of 5th level for purposes of save DC and whether it pushes through [lesser] globe of invulnerability), it could boost some low-level touch spells. At the very least, it provides additional damage (Eldritch Blast + Shocking Grasp, for example, for the easiest and simplest way to manage it) or an interesting rider effect other than blast modifiers (like Greatreach Blast [bestow wound], allowing you to potentially deal more damage and heal in return).

So...whaddya think about it? Which spells work well with Greatreach Blast? Which spells could benefit from Eldritch Spellweave?