PDA

View Full Version : How to add SpellCaster Lvls to my Swift Ambusher

Leathros
2015-02-27, 12:11 PM
So I have a 6/rogue/4/Scout Swift Ambusher. The idea of the character is that due to recent events, he decided to dip into Arcane Magic. Why? A lich Desintegrated his brother in the first combat assault, and he kinda felt useless and unable to aid him.

So now, besides looking for a source to get his brother back, he wants to learn Arcane Magic.

So the big question Is, how do I do this? I was thinking Maybe Dragon Devotee, and Sorc lvls, since I get to improve my skirmish, but Dragon Devotee doesen't offers quite much.

It's not mandatory that I keep my Skirmish progression pumping up, but I'd like to don't strive that far away from my core class, since It wouldn't have much roleplaying sense also.

Xerlith
2015-02-27, 01:14 PM
Well, UNseen Seer has a full spellcasting progression, medium BAB and skirmish progression, so there's that.

Fouredged Sword
2015-02-27, 02:17 PM
I would consider the following.

Trapsmith 1 / Unseen Seer 9 OR just straight trapsmith 5. You keep some of your damage progression, but pick up some really nice spells at lower levels. Trapsmith grants REALLY lowered versions of many spells, like haste as a first level spell and Dimension Door as a second level spell. Really USEFUL magic very fast.

Another idea is to go ahead and diversify completely into Chameleon. You can fit all 10 levels into your build, and it grants LOTS of options regardless of the base you used to enter the class.

Another interesting option, spellthief. A one level dip grants the ability to make spellcasters really regret getting hit by you.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-27, 02:25 PM
Well, theres Assassin. Its got a pretty decent list and you keep getting Sneak Attack, also Poison Use. Hey its free. After that you can happily go into Unseen Seer and advance your Assassin casting as well as your Skirmish.

Darrin
2015-02-27, 02:30 PM
Dragon Devotee 4/Unseen Seer 4. This gives you +4d6 skirmish damage (better than 8 levels of Scout) and 5 levels of Sorcerer casting. From there, add Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5 if need be.

Leathros
2015-02-27, 03:18 PM
So Unseen Seer is pretty interesting, though it kinda kills all the other spells that are not Divination.

So hereby, I ask: Are there any interesting Divination Spells that worth all this effort?

SpellThief is a veeeeery interesting option! And It kinda fits with the roleplay at hand.

The Assassin - Unseen Seer combo gives me buffs, but that's pretty much it, Assassin's don't have many options when it comes to spellcasting.
Also, a doubt about the Death Attack

If the victim of such an attack fails a Fortitude save (DC 10 + the assassin’s class level + the assassin’s Int modifier) ---> This means 10 plus my WHOLE CHARACTER LVL + Int? Or only assassin's levels? because it doesen't says the assassin class levels, it says assassin's class level.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-27, 03:32 PM
So Unseen Seer is pretty interesting, though it kinda kills all the other spells that are not Divination.

So hereby, I ask: Are there any interesting Divination Spells that worth all this effort?

SpellThief is a veeeeery interesting option! And It kinda fits with the roleplay at hand.

The Assassin - Unseen Seer combo gives me buffs, but that's pretty much it, Assassin's don't have many options when it comes to spellcasting.

If the victim of such an attack fails a Fortitude save (DC 10 + the assassin’s class level + the assassin’s Int modifier) ---> This means 10 plus my WHOLE CHARACTER LVL + Int? Or only assassin's levels? because it doesen't says the assassin class levels, it says assassin's class level.

Its Assassin levels, i wish it was Character Levels. Assassin has a fairly well supported list in other splats, but yes they are mostly utility and buffs, though you will love Sniper's Shot. Also Death Attack is used only for an opener, like you study the guy while the party pre fight buffs, then you gank him when the fight starts.

Fouredged Sword
2015-02-27, 03:59 PM

What you are going for with Unseen Seer is to add Sniper's Shot, Hunter's Mercy, and Hunter's Eye to your spell list and spells known.

Sniper's shot - divination, makes your attack qualify for sneak attack at any distance
Hunter's Mercy - Next bow shot is a crit.
Hunter's Eye - Then the last spell adds 1/3CL as extra Sneak attack DICE.

Unseen Seer lets you add 3 divination spells from any spell to your class spell list AND to your spells known (if you have spontaneous casting)

You won't have a high CL anyway, so consider taking practical spellcaster to grant a flat +4 to your CL of whatever class you take. With practical spellcaster and 10 levels of a spellcasting class, you will have a CL of 17 with divination spells. This means that Hunter's eye adds 5d6 sneak attack for 1 round. Sniper's shot let's you do it at ranges in the 100's of feet.

Leathros
2015-02-27, 04:29 PM
Starts to make sense.

The thing is, my rogue levels are under the Fighter Feat variant, this means I do not gain sneak attack, and instead I gain warrior feats every two levels.

So sneak attack is not kinda my play with this character, although all those utility and buffs work perfectly with Skirmish too, except that last one.

Spellthief it's nice, but I'm required to sneak attack to use the special ability, and so far my toon has been moving around to activate skirmish, and that's pretty much it, he's not engaging
in melee combat.

Urpriest
2015-02-27, 04:44 PM
Starts to make sense.

The thing is, my rogue levels are under the Fighter Feat variant, this means I do not gain sneak attack, and instead I gain warrior feats every two levels.

So sneak attack is not kinda my play with this character, although all those utility and buffs work perfectly with Skirmish too, except that last one.

Spellthief it's nice, but I'm required to sneak attack to use the special ability, and so far my toon has been moving around to activate skirmish, and that's pretty much it, he's not engaging
in melee combat.

If you're a Swift Ambusher, though, you're still gaining Sneak Attack dice for your Scout levels.

Troacctid
2015-02-27, 04:47 PM
If you're a Swift Ambusher, though, you're still gaining Sneak Attack dice for your Scout levels.

No you aren't. The feat doesn't do that. It does let you use skirmish to qualify for ambush feats, though.

Rebel7284
2015-02-27, 04:53 PM
Mystic Ranger from Dragon Magazine + Sword of the Arcane Order + Swift Hunter feat gets you up to 5th level Ranger/Wizard spells while boosting your skirmish and having full BAB.

Leathros
2015-02-27, 05:06 PM
Mystic Ranger from Dragon Magazine + Sword of the Arcane Order + Swift Hunter feat gets you up to 5th level Ranger/Wizard spells while boosting your skirmish and having full BAB.

Not sure my DM will allow all these :/

Leathros
2015-02-27, 05:32 PM
I just read Blink gives you concealment, which allows you to do sneak attacks? What is this sorcery? Does that means that Blur also allows me to sneak attack? Being Blurry denies my oponent's Dex?

Troacctid
2015-02-27, 05:37 PM
Blink allows you to sneak attack because it includes a clause that says you strike as an invisible creature, denying your target their Dex to AC.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-27, 06:05 PM
Blink allows you to sneak attack because it includes a clause that says you strike as an invisible creature, denying your target their Dex to AC.

It probably has to do with the fact that, you know, your blinking in and out of existence.

Leathros
2015-02-27, 06:34 PM
Alright, I'm going with Spellthief, but now I need to get a way to cast lvl 2 Arcane spells For the Master Spellthief FEat, which will kinda balance my progression. I'd say Sorerer is my best chance, more spells per day, more buffs, what do you guys say?

Also, how many lvls of Spellthief are worth it? Considering I already am lvl 10, I'd say 4 lvls, to be able to steal 2nd Lvl spells

Darrin
2015-02-27, 08:14 PM
I just read Blink gives you concealment, which allows you to do sneak attacks? What is this sorcery? Does that means that Blur also allows me to sneak attack? Being Blurry denies my oponent's Dex?

Blurr doesn't allow sneak attack because it doesn't say that you attack as if you were an invisible creature.

Blink is a little problematic in that your own attacks have a 20% miss chance. Some DMs may interpret this as if your target had concealment, and this would prevent sneak attack. However, "miss chance" and "concealment" are actually two different things, and in blink's case the reason you have a miss chance has nothing to do with concealment, as the spell description makes no mention that you have any problems visually locating your opponent. Your miss chance doesn't come from concealment, it comes from not being physically present on the same plane when your attack strikes. If your DM rules that not being physically present also interferes with sneak attack, then you can negate your own 20% miss chance by taking the Pierce Magical Concealment feat. But you'd need to take Blind-Fight and Mage Slayer first, and there's also a -8 caster level penalty if you're serious about spellcasting.

Ashes
2015-02-28, 02:08 AM
No you aren't. The feat doesn't do that. It does let you use skirmish to qualify for ambush feats, though.

It does both.

OP: how do you qualify for Swift Ambusher, if you don't have sneak attack?

Troacctid
2015-02-28, 02:13 AM
It does both.

OP: how do you qualify for Swift Ambusher, if you don't have sneak attack?

Read it again--it only lets your Rogue and Scout levels stack for skirmish. Not sneak attack.

ShurikVch
2015-02-28, 03:49 AM
Also Death Attack is used only for an opener, like you study the guy while the party pre fight buffs, then you gank him when the fight starts. Deathsight spell allow to Death Attack without waiting 3 rounds.
(It's spell of Divination school :smallwink:)

Ashes
2015-02-28, 09:03 AM
Read it again--it only lets your Rogue and Scout levels stack for skirmish. Not sneak attack.

You are right. I apologize.

Urpriest
2015-02-28, 09:38 AM

Ah, hadn't remembered it was only one-way. Still, it requires a die of sneak attack to qualify, so the OP must have some sneak attack in the build already.