PDA

View Full Version : wraiths

bjoern
2015-02-27, 12:22 PM
I'm thinking about throwing one or more wraiths at my group, maybe a dread wraith instead.

What I'm wondering is the mechanics of their phasing abilities to go through walls and stuff. They have spring attack, and have total cover while hiding in an object, but have just regular cover when making attack.

So I'm visualizing wraithes just hiding in the stone floor, right beneath a character, occupying the 5' square/cube adjacent to the character directly below them, and just using its touch attack against the bottom of their feet. Is there anyway that a martial could deal with this? Hit the floor with your sword?

prufock
2015-02-27, 12:31 PM
Cover is only +4 AC, and any character with a magic weapon can ready an action for when the wraith attacks.

Forrestfire
2015-02-27, 12:34 PM
If an incorporeal creature is attacking from within a piece of floor, it's blind, and as such, has a 50% miss chance. It needs to leave the solid object to make a viable attack, at which point it's vulnerable to readied actions or provoking attacks of opportunities. It's especially nasty the first time it does it, but then people should be able to be ready for the next hit and run.

bjoern
2015-02-27, 12:57 PM
OK. Next question.

Can you tell by looking at someone if they have an action readied or not?

Flickerdart
2015-02-27, 01:03 PM
OK. Next question.

Can you tell by looking at someone if they have an action readied or not?
Sort of. A character readying a weapon against a charge has to have the weapon drawn, and so forth. But there's nothing specific about determining their intent, unless you have detect thoughts of course.