PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Is chain teleport raw legal?

With a box
2015-02-27, 01:46 PM
The question is, is the renge of teleport are greater than touch?

I think it is, there is why:

This spell instantly transports you to a designated destination, which may be as distant as 100 miles per caster level. Interplanar travel is not possible. You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load. You may also bring one additional willing Medium or smaller creature (carrying gear or objects up to its maximum load) or its equivalent (see below) per three caster levels. A Large creature counts as two Medium creatures, a Huge creature counts as two Large creatures, and so forth. All creatures to be transported must be in contact with one another, and at least one of those creatures must be in contact with you. As with all spells where the range is personal and the target is you, you need not make a saving throw, nor is spell resistance applicable to you. Only objects held or in use (attended) by another person receive saving throws and spell resistance.
it means, if I touch Mr.Mcfighter and Mr.Mccleric touch Ms.Banana, it means it will works on both you, Mr.Mcfighter and Ms.Mccleric, witch is not possible in case of spells with touch range.
So, I think it's legal, is there something I missing?

More talk about chain teleport:
it will allow you to teleport up to (caster level+1)*[1/3*caster level](round down)
yes, it will be 9th, but you can carry 90 creatures with you at 17th, 114 at 18th, 126 at 20th
at 10th with normal metamaigc rod of chain, you can carry up to 33 people.

Deophaun
2015-02-27, 01:56 PM
Touch isn't really the big problem (you can get around it). This, however, is:

Any spell that specifies a single target...
While teleport says

Target: You and touched objects or other touched willing creatures
So teleport is an invalid spell for Chaining.

Ashtagon
2015-02-27, 02:05 PM
You seem to have misinterpreted the number of creatures affected.

First up, yes, you don't need to be in direct contact with every creature to be teleported, but there must be an unbroken chain of touch between you and every creature to be teleported. Each unwilling creature is entitled to spell resistance and a Will save.

If you are touching Boris who is touching Charlie, and Boris decides at the last minute he doesn't want to go, he gets a save. If he saves, it is undefined whether or not Charlie can then be affected by the teleport. (Personally, I'd say no, because the chain has been broken.)

The maximum number of people teleported is you, plus one Medium creature equivalent per three caster levels. That's seven humans (including the caster) at 18th level.

If you are referring to feats, please cite a source.

With a box
2015-02-27, 02:06 PM
Touch isn't really the big problem (you can get around it). This, however, is:

While teleport says

So teleport is an invalid spell for Chaining.

then I'll bring pathfinder chain spell :smalltongue:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/super-genius-games/metamagic-feats/chain-spell-metamagic
Only spells with an area or defined number of targets (including one creature), a range greater than touch, and a saving throw (for half damage, or to negate the full effect of the spell) may be cast as chain spells.
no, it stucks at it should allows saving throw... and teleport is Saving Throw: none and Will negates (object)... but it only targets willing one at first! :smallfurious:
I wonder my DM allow to use pathfinder chain spell and add will save(harmless) at teleport..

Deophaun
2015-02-27, 02:20 PM
:smalltongue:

OK, we'll limit ourselves to the discussion of "touch."

Touch is not simply a matter of distance or even physical contact between you and the target. It's better thought of as a spell type. Why? Because there are multiple ways to deliver touch spells without you ever touching the target while keeping those spells classified as touch. Things such as familiars, or a spectral hand. But what keeps these things touch spells is, at some point, something has to make physical contact with the target to transfer the spell effect. Just because there is an intermediary between the caster and the target does not make the range greater than touch.

So, on that basis, teleport cannot be chained.

With a box
2015-02-27, 02:32 PM
:smalltongue:

OK, we'll limit ourselves to the discussion of "touch."

Touch is not simply a matter of distance or even physical contact between you and the target. It's better thought of as a spell type. Why? Because there are multiple ways to deliver touch spells without you ever touching the target while keeping those spells classified as touch. Things such as familiars, or a spectral hand. But what keeps these things touch spells is, at some point, something has to make physical contact with the target to transfer the spell effect. Just because there is an intermediary between the caster and the target does not make the range greater than touch.

So, on that basis, teleport cannot be chained.

It would be a 9th spell that teleport just a platoon ar two, it's not broken like shapechange or wish, isn't it?:smallconfused:
Will my DM to allow chain spell?
(I'm not talked to him yet because it's 4am in this contury)

Troacctid
2015-02-27, 02:51 PM
It seems pretty cut and dry. Chain Spell requires a range greater than touch. Teleport's range is "Personal and touch." That's not greater than touch. It's therefore not valid for chaining.

Deophaun
2015-02-27, 03:07 PM
It would be a 9th spell that teleport just a platoon ar two, it's not broken like shapechange or wish, isn't it?:smallconfused:
Will my DM to allow chain spell?
(I'm not talked to him yet because it's 4am in this contury)
There are lots of things not broken like shapechange or wish, although many people here consider teleport itself to be problematic in how easily it allows you to bypass obstacles. The fact that you are struggling with logistics may be a good thing, and a sign for you to look to alternative means of transportation.

As for whether your DM will allow it, I don't know him, so I can't say. :smallwink:

Psyren
2015-02-27, 03:34 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/super-genius-games/metamagic-feats/chain-spell-metamagic
Only spells with an area or defined number of targets (including one creature), a range greater than touch, and a saving throw (for half damage, or to negate the full effect of the spell) may be cast as chain spells.
no, it stucks at it should allows saving throw... and teleport is Saving Throw: none and Will negates (object)... but it only targets willing one at first! :smallfurious:
I wonder my DM allow to use pathfinder chain spell and add will save(harmless) at teleport..

That's not "Pathfinder Chain Spell." It's a 3rd-party feat that is compatible with Pathfinder. You would need to ask whoever came up with it how they intended it to work, and what with.