PDA

View Full Version : Jump and speed

Hiro Quester
2015-02-27, 02:58 PM
The jump skill has a synergy with your speed.

Your Jump check is modified by your speed. If your speed is 30 feet then no modifier based on speed applies to the check. If your speed is less than 30 feet, you take a -6 penalty for every 10 feet of speed less than 30 feet. If your speed is greater than 30 feet, you gain a +4 bonus for every 10 feet beyond 30 feet.

So if I'm a druid in Cheetah wildshape, I can sprint and use pounce to make a full attack. The Sprint ability gives 10 times your base speed. So a speed of 500 feet for a charge attack.

At a speed of 500 feet that’s a ridiculously high bonus to jump (+4 x 47= +188) to jump!!

That can't be right. Right?

KillianHawkeye
2015-02-27, 03:26 PM
No, sprinting does not actually increase the cheetah's base speed. It is more like a super-charged version of the Run action. It won't have any effect on the cheetah's Jump checks unless mentioned in the ability's description.

ksbsnowowl
2015-02-27, 06:05 PM
No, sprinting does not actually increase the cheetah's base speed. It is more like a super-charged version of the Run action. It won't have any effect on the cheetah's Jump checks unless mentioned in the ability's description.

Correct, with one caveat, if the druid has the Run feat, he gets an additional +4 on Jump because he is running.

KillianHawkeye
2015-02-27, 07:34 PM
Correct, with one caveat, if the druid has the Run feat, he gets an additional +4 on Jump because he is running.

Right. I didn't think it was important to mention that, since if the character in question has that feat the OP should already know what it does.

Necroticplague
2015-02-27, 08:53 PM
The jump skill has a synergy with your speed.

So if I'm a druid in Cheetah wildshape, I can sprint and use pounce to make a full attack. The Sprint ability gives 10 times your base speed. So a speed of 500 feet for a charge attack.

At a speed of 500 feet that’s a ridiculously high bonus to jump (+4 x 47= +188) to jump!!

That can't be right. Right?

Speed isn't 'how fast you can currently move', its a certain, relatively fixed statistic, unaffected by whether you move, double move, withdraw, run , or charge. So for being a cheetah, you'd use its speed (50 feet), for the calculation, for +8. Boots of Stringing and Springing, or a Longstrider spell, would increase your speed, but Charging would not.

Hiro Quester
2015-02-27, 09:40 PM
That's what I figured. Though it would be cool to be able to long jump using a speed of 500. Thanks, everyone.

Karl Aegis
2015-02-27, 10:37 PM
Cheetahs don't have the Pounce ability.

Hiro Quester
2015-02-27, 10:44 PM
Right. I was confusing with Leopards. I meant just charge. Thanks for the reminder.