PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Divine Smite Question

Grand Warchief
2015-02-27, 03:11 PM
Why does the Paladin's divine smite ability cap at 5d8? That's only allowing the Paladin to sacrifice up to 4th level spell slots when he, by going straight Paladin, gets access to 5th. That's also assuming he doesn't multiclass. I just think it's silly to put such an arbitrary restriction. I mean, at least let them spend a 5th level slot to do 6d8. What is the playground's thoughts on this?

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-02-27, 03:14 PM
Sure, why not? Doesn't exactly scream "OP" or anything.

Oscredwin
2015-02-27, 03:26 PM
How hard would a Paladin6/Sorcerer14 with 9th level slots be able to nova?

Assuming a glave, polearm master, 20 STR, and GWM feat:

1d10 +15 +11d8 + 1d10 +15 +10d8 + 1d4 + 15 + 9d8 (this assumes no buff spells like Hunter's Mark or Haste or using hold person/monster to ensure all hits crit)

That's 126 damage, up to 200 if you've got a hold spell on the enemy the round before or up by (only) 180 if you have haste and blow another 7th level slot.

You can only do that once per day, but wow.

Grand Warchief
2015-02-27, 03:44 PM
How hard would a Paladin6/Sorcerer14 with 9th level slots be able to nova?

Assuming a glave, polearm master, 20 STR, and GWM feat:

1d10 +15 +11d8 + 1d10 +15 +10d8 + 1d4 + 15 + 9d8 (this assumes no buff spells like Hunter's Mark or Haste or using hold person/monster to ensure all hits crit)

That's 126 damage, up to 200 if you've got a hold spell on the enemy the round before or up by (only) 180 if you have haste and blow another 7th level slot.

You can only do that once per day, but wow.

True, that's quite a lot of damage. However, that's assuming you hit with both attacks, spend your two highest spell slots doing something other than casting a baller spell, and you can only do that once at LEVEL 20. Honestly, I think by that level you deserve to do that much damage. I mean, you're out of high spells now, so your damage will only go down from there.

Oscredwin
2015-02-27, 04:00 PM
True, that's quite a lot of damage. However, that's assuming you hit with both attacks, spend your two highest spell slots doing something other than casting a baller spell, and you can only do that once at LEVEL 20. Honestly, I think by that level you deserve to do that much damage. I mean, you're out of high spells now, so your damage will only go down from there.

Agree, it's a crazy powerful nova and takes out all your spells of 6th level or higher (I made a mistake on spell slots and the last 7th level spell should be a 6th level spell so the haste version does 4.5 damage less than I said). I haven't looked at how effective the character would be for the rest of the day but this power would build up linearly as they level, so they would have a comparable nova by the early teens (less effective in absolute terms, but you're also fighting weaker enemies). Also, can any other character nova like this?

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-02-27, 04:16 PM
Agree, it's a crazy powerful nova and takes out all your spells of 6th level or higher (I made a mistake on spell slots and the last 7th level spell should be a 6th level spell so the haste version does 4.5 damage less than I said). I haven't looked at how effective the character would be for the rest of the day but this power would build up linearly as they level, so they would have a comparable nova by the early teens (less effective in absolute terms, but you're also fighting weaker enemies). Also, can any other character nova like this?

A fighter using the great weapon feat to -5/+10 can dole out about 88 damage in a round, double if he action surges. Plus he might get a bonus action attack if he kills something, or has haste etc. A battlemaster could tack on extra damage with maneuvers as well.

MeeposFire
2015-02-27, 09:27 PM
I think it was designed that way to entice you to actually cast 5th level spells rather than just convert them.