PDA

View Full Version : Resistance and Spell Saves

Grand Warchief
2015-02-27, 04:46 PM
So a level 5 wizard attacks a level 7 Ancients Paladin with a fireball.

Scenario 1: the Paladin fails his save and takes full fireball damage. However, his ancients aura says he takes half damage from spells and spell like effects. So he takes half damage, as if he passed his save correct?
Scenario 2: the Paladin succeeds his save to take half damage from the spell. Does his ancients aura also apply making him take half of half, ie, 1/4 damage?

Easy_Lee
2015-02-27, 04:53 PM
1/4 I believe, depending on exact wording. It would be rounded down.

Grand Warchief
2015-02-27, 04:56 PM
I thought so, I just wasn't sure because I know resistance doesn't stack. I wanted to make sure that saving against the spell didn't result in gaining some kind of resistance to it, making it not stack. Thanks for the quick reply :)

calebrus
2015-02-27, 05:00 PM
I thought so, I just wasn't sure because I know resistance doesn't stack. I wanted to make sure that saving against the spell didn't result in gaining some kind of resistance to it, making it not stack. Thanks for the quick reply :)

Resistances don't stack, but making a save isn't the same as resistance.
So half damage due to successful save, and then half of that for resistance.

edit:
Theoretically, a Pally 7 / Rogue 5 could make his save (0.5 damage), use Uncanny Dodge for half of that (0.25 damage) and get his Pally feature for half of that (0.125 damage).
One-eighth damage.

Easy_Lee
2015-02-27, 05:10 PM

Resistance was why I said it depended on the wording. Resistance in general doesn't stack, but resistance granted by the Dragon masks in HotDQ turns into immunity if you have another source of resistance. There are exceptions to any general rule, so always best to check the wording.

Cactuar
2015-02-28, 01:00 PM
Resistances don't stack, but making a save isn't the same as resistance.
So half damage due to successful save, and then half of that for resistance.

edit:
Theoretically, a Pally 7 / Rogue 5 could make his save (0.5 damage), use Uncanny Dodge for half of that (0.25 damage) and get his Pally feature for half of that (0.125 damage).
One-eighth damage.

I don't think that you can use Uncanny Dodge to dodge fireballs - it specifically says "hits you with an attack" which implies there is an attack roll.

calebrus
2015-02-28, 01:52 PM
I don't think that you can use Uncanny Dodge to dodge fireballs - it specifically says "hits you with an attack" which implies there is an attack roll.

You know, I never made that distinction until you just pointed it out. I always just read it as an attack in the general sense, not as requiring an attack roll. Good catch.

MeeposFire
2015-03-02, 02:09 AM
You know, I never made that distinction until you just pointed it out. I always just read it as an attack in the general sense, not as requiring an attack roll. Good catch.

Indeed and I have to admit attack is one of the things the went out of their way to define in the book in detail. There is a very good chance that they actually were using attack as the in book definition and not as a more general term. Something to keep in mind for sure when reading in the future.

calebrus
2015-03-02, 02:18 AM
Indeed and I have to admit attack is one of the things the went out of their way to define in the book in detail. There is a very good chance that they actually were using attack as the in book definition and not as a more general term. Something to keep in mind for sure when reading in the future.

I'm not quite as certain of it as a couple of you seem to be, but it is a very distinct possibility.