PDA

View Full Version : DM: Your favourite PC group

redzimmer
2015-02-27, 07:56 PM
When you DM for a long time,v you cannot help but wistfully recall your favourite group and your favourite campaigns.

Mine was an odd bunch of newbies, oldies, munchkins and loonies. The group ran from 2008-2011, and for all my efforts I just can't find such a group again.

They were:

Nevermore, catfolk warlock
Tenran, vow of poverty monk who later became an unwilling phylactery for a dracolich
Tarquinn Blackstaff, tattooed monk (two monks)
Grat Orog, half-orc fighter
Harloc, human ranger who was rubbish with attack rols but always somehow got a 20 on bluff checks
Prince Melikus, necropolitan whisper gnome rogue/scorpion heritor
and last but certainly never least,
Karg, halfling barbarian with monkey grip, with a INT score of 8, WIS of 7 and never failed a will save.

Some supporting characters and one-offs came and went, an elf necromancer, another different elf necromancer (one made Melikus dead, one came back as a vampire antagonist) and a half-elf fighter, but the core group ran almost the whole time.

The overarching story was the region had just recovered from a war between free cities and a green dracolich empire. The dracolich in question came to power by killing his rival black dracolich (a heavy-handed parable about giving up liberty for security), however the black dracolich's phylactery was never recovered, and various factions were trying to locate and weaponize it.

Much amusement and excitement was had by all.

What was your favourite playgroup?

Naez
2015-02-28, 11:25 AM
My favorite group was actually in a 4e Demon Queen's Enclave Campaign I ran.
The Hook:
A merchant specializing in Underdark commodities on the surface world has not received shipments in a long while and is unable to contact anyone. He has sent a group of mercenaries to see what is going on and they have failed to report. So fearing the worst he hires another, group of mercenaries (the group) to re-establish his trade and if his suppliers are dead to find and negotiate terms with new dealers.

The Group:
Brairthorn the Tiefling Warlock- Master of torture for hire and also the master of rolling 1 on every Arcana check he makes.
Archer the Drow Seeker/Ranger- The groups guide to the Underdark whose spellscar is also known to burst out into song.
Zero the Genasi Barbarian- A Mercenary for hire with a lust for rare weapons and special hatred of demons and undead.
Tymphe the Tiefling Battlemind- A follower of Hoar getting revenge for their companion and only surviving member of the last group sent on this job Eustace.
Eustace the Goblin- An NPC and ward of Tymphe. His mind has been completely and utterly broken and due to the odd forces at work he has become immortal. Mainly used for comic relief.
Quilenna the Eladrin Warlord- A young eladrin found randomly wondering the mushroom forests of the Underdark. She becomes Disguised as a Drow so Drow it makes Archer question his Drowness. Also the only Good member of the party.
Mon'ro'ro the Drow Cleric of Lolth- A priestess given to them by the matron to help them in their quest of mutual interest. Supposed to backstab party after their task is finshed but instead winds up working with them to topple the matron and supplant herself as matron.

This group was by far the most hilarious time I've ever had as a DM. There were incidents with this group that are still talked about years later. Let's just say the term Red Wedding has a much different meaning to this group.

sage20500
2015-03-06, 03:16 AM
My favorite group was actually in a 4e Demon Queen's Enclave Campaign I ran.
The Hook:
A merchant specializing in Underdark commodities on the surface world has not received shipments in a long while and is unable to contact anyone. He has sent a group of mercenaries to see what is going on and they have failed to report. So fearing the worst he hires another, group of mercenaries (the group) to re-establish his trade and if his suppliers are dead to find and negotiate terms with new dealers.

The Group:
Brairthorn the Tiefling Warlock- Master of torture for hire and also the master of rolling 1 on every Arcana check he makes.
Archer the Drow Seeker/Ranger- The groups guide to the Underdark whose spellscar is also known to burst out into song.
Zero the Genasi Barbarian- A Mercenary for hire with a lust for rare weapons and special hatred of demons and undead.
Tymphe the Tiefling Battlemind- A follower of Hoar getting revenge for their companion and only surviving member of the last group sent on this job Eustace.
Eustace the Goblin- An NPC and ward of Tymphe. His mind has been completely and utterly broken and due to the odd forces at work he has become immortal. Mainly used for comic relief.
Quilenna the Eladrin Warlord- A young eladrin found randomly wondering the mushroom forests of the Underdark. She becomes Disguised as a Drow so Drow it makes Archer question his Drowness. Also the only Good member of the party.
Mon'ro'ro the Drow Cleric of Lolth- A priestess given to them by the matron to help them in their quest of mutual interest. Supposed to backstab party after their task is finshed but instead winds up working with them to topple the matron and supplant herself as matron.

This group was by far the most hilarious time I've ever had as a DM. There were incidents with this group that are still talked about years later. Let's just say the term Red Wedding has a much different meaning to this group.

For anyone that wants to hear more about the Red Wedding, here you go!

I was Archer!

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18917814&postcount=11

Kid Jake
2015-03-06, 04:01 AM
It's hard to pin down my favorite group, but the guys from the M&M campaign journal in my signature probably takes the cake; if for no other reason than it's one of the few times I've gotten RL friends involved in a game.

Characters: (Most are played by the same guys, we switch between multiple POV)
Roger McCrow: A middle aged man with a (actually several) substance abuse problem(s) and a chip on his shoulder. Is the absolute master of water, but often forgets about his powers in the middle of combat in favor of whatever blunt instrument he can pick up. Determined to make his kids proud and his b***h ex-wife eat her words; not necessarily in that order.
Fanboy: A rich, teenaged daddy's boy who's obsessed with Star Wars, anime and comic books; gained powerful telekinesis and telepathy that enable him to live out all of his childhood fantasies. Dreams of his own action figure line.
Tiffany: A former petty shoplifter who gained the ability to shift into a diamond version of herself; pretty much immediately turned into a mass murdering psychopath that collects trophies from her numerous kills and tries to set witnesses on fire.
Agent Mann: Nonpowered DHS agent that nevertheless stares into the face of living gods and tells them to make his day. HATES superhumans with a passion. He just wants to see justice served for its own sake.
Michael Stockton: Mann's former partner/best friend/war buddy and the reason he hates superhumans. Gained the ability to recover from ANY injury in the time it takes you to say gesundheit, but the constant trauma of death and mutilation has left his mind fragile and open to hallucination. His severe PTSD makes him a walking time bomb, prone to fits of berserker rage despite the pains he takes to avoid becoming the monster he fears he is.
Dr Steinz: A renowned psychiatrist with the power of Reasoning. It barely takes him a sentence to help you find the reason you should swallow your own tongue while he searches your office. Wants nothing more than to watch the world burn.

Basic plot is that a heist went wrong and a canister of mysterious gas, that changes people dramatically, exploded on a city bus rather than getting sold on the black market. Half the people exposed died, the rest walked away as superhumans. There aren't any heroes or villains really, just different flavors of superhuman a-holes stepping on each others toes while they try to make the most of their new condition.