PDA

View Full Version : What are the limits of True Polymorph?

slachance6
2015-02-27, 10:40 PM
Would a 17th level caster be able to...
Turn an ant into a diamond?
Turn a bacteria into a diamond?
Turn an ant into a mountain?
Turn an ant into a mountain of gold?
Turn an ant into a mountain of diamond?
Turn an ant into a gladiator?
Turn an ant into a castle?
Turn an ant into a vorpal greatsword?
Turn an ant into a spaceship?
Turn an ant into a star?
Turn an ant into a black hole?

pwykersotz
2015-02-27, 10:45 PM
Ask your DM. :smallwink:

heavyfuel
2015-02-28, 01:23 AM
Blue text aside, "ask your DM" is probably the best answer, especially considering 5e doesn't have a hard qualification of counts as a creature or of what counts as an object. Is a mountain an object? Or is it a stack os many many objects?

Magical objects can't be targeted by the spell, but nothing restricts you to turn something into them. So, again, it's up to the DM.

Dalebert
2015-02-28, 08:34 AM
Blue text aside, "ask your DM" is probably the best answer...

*sigh*

Yes, this is up to DM fiat like umpteen-bajillion other things in 5e. I'm pretty sure OP knows that. Given that, allow me to attempt to translate this question and the other umpteen-bajillion upcoming questions that will eventually be posted in the 5e section and to which folks will be tempted to respond with the thread-killer answer of "Ask your DM".

When someone asks a question about a subject which is clearly up to DM fiat, I believe what they mean to ask (and OP please feel free to correct me if I'm mis-presuming) is

"How would you decide this if you were the DM?"

He obviously wants some opinions. Maybe he's a DM and wants some guidance about how to decide. Maybe he's a player and he wants criteria to aid in a discussion with his DM.

We don't need you to tell us to ask the DM. We already know it's ultimately up to the DM. Please continue the regularly scheduled programming.

Shining Wrath
2015-02-28, 09:22 AM
Personal house rule: you can't create a magical item using TP, and you can't create a creature with class levels.
Magical item: if there's no limitations, you aren't just free to create +1 swords, or +3 adamantine armor: you can create things with artifact level power but lacking the negative side effects. There's no limitation, so why not have a wand that casts a special Power Word: Kill with a HP limit of 1,000 rather than 100?
Class levels: 20th level wizard uses TP to change an ant into a 20th level wizard who uses TP to change an ant into a 20th level wizard who ... you get the idea. If this works, some wizard had the idea a million years ago and now every planet in the multiverse has a surplus of 20th level wizards running around.

That, though, is a house rule. RAW you can change any creature into any magical item you can conceive. Look up the artifacts in the DMG, create an item that combines all the benefits with none of the drawback of all of them put together. RAW that is allowed. If you are very careful (and I've seen some very careful munchkins in my day :smallsmile:), you can word it in a way that is DM proof.

ZenBear
2015-02-28, 10:11 AM
*sigh*

Yes, this is up to DM fiat like umpteen-bajillion other things in 5e. I'm pretty sure OP knows that. Given that, allow me to attempt to translate this question and the other umpteen-bajillion upcoming questions that will eventually be posted in the 5e section and to which folks will be tempted to respond with the thread-killer answer of "Ask your DM".

When someone asks a question about a subject which is clearly up to DM fiat, I believe what they mean to ask (and OP please feel free to correct me if I'm mis-presuming) is

"How would you decide this if you were the DM?"

He obviously wants some opinions. Maybe he's a DM and wants some guidance about how to decide. Maybe he's a player and he wants criteria to aid in a discussion with his DM.

We don't need you to tell us to ask the DM. We already know it's ultimately up to the DM. Please continue the regularly scheduled programming.

This should be stickied to the top of the forum.

Dalebert
2015-02-28, 11:20 AM
This should be stickied to the top of the forum.

:smallsmile:

This feels like at least the third time I've posted it (in so many words). I should save it somewhere for copy and paste.

heavyfuel
2015-02-28, 11:26 AM
*sigh*

Not so obvious. If he wanted houserules, he should have asked for them.

@OP: My houserule is it works like 3.5's Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm), except you need to concentrate for the whole duration (maximum of 1 hour). After concentrating for up to 1 hour, the spell takes effect for the duration.

This means no magical items, nothing of intrinsic value, and if it's too absurd, the duration won't be permanent, regardless if you concentrate for the hour or not.

TrexPushups
2015-02-28, 11:29 AM
So what about taking a faithful warhorse, having someone awaken it and then Polymorphing it into a T-Rex. Is that a Good Idea or the Best Idea?

pwykersotz
2015-02-28, 12:29 PM
So what about taking a faithful warhorse, having someone awaken it and then Polymorphing it into a T-Rex. Is that a Good Idea or the Best Idea?

Yes and yes.

Zweisteine
2015-02-28, 12:33 PM
This feels like at least the third time I've posted it (in so many words). I should save it somewhere for copy and paste.
Just write up a short version and stick it in your signature. Or the long version in a spoiler in your signature.

Also, in case you wanted something for your signature,
Dalebert has divined the true nature of our reality. Everyone listen to him. He is always right.

:smallwink:

Which is totally true, by the way.

Dalebert
2015-02-28, 02:36 PM
Advice accepted and implemented!