PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How can I increase my reach in Pathfinder?

DurionArcanis
2015-02-28, 03:37 AM
I know 3.5 had a slew of ways to increase reach, however in PF I've only found a couple. I'll be playing a tank build and would like as many ways to do this as possible. I know of the Lunge and Monkey Lunge feats, the Enlarge Person spell, reach weapons of course, and being a larger size category, but I can't seem to find anything else.

Approved material is any Paizo and most Dreamscarred Press (though DSP material still has to be run by the GM). 3.5 and other 3pp material is unlikely to be approved but it's not autobanned so if something increases reach but seems reasonably balanced it might be approved.

I will be playing an Oggr (Dreamscarred Press, Bloodforge) and my class is Inquisitor gestalted with a version of Sephyrus (https://armrstudios.wordpress.com/2014/12/12/new-base-class-sephyrus/) that has been approved with tweaks (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q9qGbGZ2HO4v7bu9Biz4ZAnvWeY_2LypkDVNvMXqz3U/edit#gid=0).

NOTE: Increasing threat range is not increasing reach, though I do plan to take Combat Patrol and related feats as well.

NOTE2: Any interesting polearms anyone can recommend that aren't on the PFSRD? If there's a really nice 3rd party or 3.0/3.5 polearm that might be worth asking about as well I'll try at least. I'm already asking about the Spinning Sword for a backup weapon lol

NOTE3: Feel free to suggest useful tank abilities, I'm not well versed in Pathfinder or Tanking so I'm likely to miss some good stuff.

inb4 someone references this joke (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0136.html) :P

grarrrg
2015-02-28, 04:15 AM
I know of the Lunge and Monkey Lunge

Good, then you know to STAY AWAY FROM MONKEY LUNGE.
Lunge is fine, do keep in mind that it only functions on your turn.
Monkey Lunge on the other hand is a worthless pile of fail. You spend a Standard to increase your Reach until the end of your turn. No Standard>No attacks. End of turn means no "reach AoO's".

Living Monolith (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/i-m/living-monolith) PrC is sweet for 1 or 2 levels.
1st level gives you 3/day Swift Action Enlarge Person. Granted as an Inquisitor you need Swifts to activate Judgement and Bane, but Swift is still a better option than Standard most of the time.

DurionArcanis
2015-02-28, 04:27 AM
Good, then you know to STAY AWAY FROM MONKEY LUNGE.
Yeah, I noticed that too lol. As written it's absolutely worthless.

Living Monolith (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/i-m/living-monolith) PrC is sweet for 1 or 2 levels.
1st level gives you 3/day Swift Action Enlarge Person. Granted as an Inquisitor you need Swifts to activate Judgement and Bane, but Swift is still a better option than Standard most of the time.
Hmm definitely interesting, I can stick it on my Inquisitor's track, keep the good BAB and such from the Sephyrus, and still increase spellcasting if I proceed in that class further.

Added info.
>Feats: Antagonize, almost certainly grabbing that ASAP. Also grabbing Stand Still at some point.
>Inquisitor Options: Likely taking the Witch Hunter archetype and the Spellkiller Inquisition.
>Traits: Considering the Steel Skin background trait as well as either Adopted (Fiery Glare) or Signature Weapon, and Clever Wordplay to ping Intimidate off Int since my Cha will suck. (Int won't be much better, but I can't ping Intimidate off Wis without getting the right Inquisition.

Kurald Galain
2015-02-28, 05:07 AM
Longarm spell. Plant (growth) domain for clerics. Lunging spell touch feat for magi. Aberrant bloodline for bloodragers.

avr
2015-02-28, 06:11 AM
There's an item or two you could use. Pliant gloves or longarm bracers or swordmaster's flair: blue scarf.

DurionArcanis
2015-02-28, 06:14 AM
Longarm spell. Plant (growth) domain for clerics. Lunging spell touch feat for magi. Aberrant bloodline for bloodragers.

Umm... thanks for the suggestions but the Lunging Spell Touch feat only works for melee touch attacks, the Bloodrager bloodline only works for Bloodragers of course, and I'm not a Cleric so I can't cast the Long Arm spell (though I can potentially get it as a magic item later on so I will keep it in mind). Heck I don't even think we have a Cleric in the party, the only person we can have get that spell is we have a Witch in the party so I'll talk to them about maybe getting it.

There's an item or two you could use. Pliant gloves or longarm bracers or swordmaster's flair: blue scarf.

First the Swordmaster's Flair. Nice, but my problem becomes that I'll be using 2h weapons, mostly polearms. Pliant Gloves aren't half bad for later but they do still fall to using swift actions unfortunately. And the Long Arm Bracers also suffer that and impose a penalty to weapon attacks.

Good suggestions all though, just don't fit the circumstance.

Andreaz
2015-02-28, 08:36 AM
I know 3.5 had a slew of ways to increase reach, however in PF I've only found a couple. I'll be playing a tank build and would like as many ways to do this as possible. I know of the Lunge and Monkey Lunge feats, the Enlarge Person spell, reach weapons of course, and being a larger size category, but I can't seem to find anything else.

Approved material is any Paizo and most Dreamscarred Press (though DSP material still has to be run by the GM). 3.5 and other 3pp material is unlikely to be approved but it's not autobanned so if something increases reach but seems reasonably balanced it might be approved.Seen the Warder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/classes/warder)? It's tank, it's really good at it, it starts with its own version of combat reflexes and combat patrol from level 1, and the 2h archetype lets you use 2h weapons as if they had reach, and reach weapons as if they could threaten adjacent enemies.

GhorrinRedblade
2015-02-28, 11:15 AM
Since Dreamscarred material is allowed and no one else mentioned it, if you want to go with a psionic option there is the prestige class telekinetic weapon master.

Ghorrin

DurionArcanis
2015-02-28, 03:22 PM
Hrm... This might turn into a beast of a tank...

Build so far (to lvl7 or 8 at least)
Half-Giant (for Wild Talent and Powerful Build)
Sephyrus6//Warder6 (Zweihander)
PrCs: Living Monolith1//Telekinetic Weapon Master1
Feats Needed: Endurance, Iron Will, Psionic Meditation, Psionic Weapon
Skills Needed: Knowledge (engineering) 4 ranks, Knowledge (history) 4 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 2 ranks.
Other needed: 0th level power - Far Hand (hoping to be able to get this via a psionic equivalent to the Magical Talent trait by GM approval)

From then I'm undecided on whether to progress with either/both PrC or not. I'll probably wind up taking just one level in each though.

If I can't gain Far Hand from a trait, I'll need to spend my 7th level feat to qualify and thus I would likely be Sephyrus7//Warder7 and Living Monolith1//Telekinetic Weapon Master1

deuxhero
2015-02-28, 10:24 PM
I did up a build on a Martial Training bloodrager that took Eternal Guardian. Seemed like a decent melee fighter that made good use of its absurd reach (enlarge person+arbarant bloodline+longarm+reach weapon combined with Eternal Guardian's stuff that attacks EVERYONE in reach) and had tricks beyond "hit it harder" (with a cheepish magic item you could demoralize as a move action, then use a boost to paralyze the newly shaken enemy).

edit: Weirdly enough, if Monkey Lunge stacks with lunge, it actually DOES something with DSP material if you can find a boost that gives you an extra attack (Eternal Hourglass has one, but I think there are others). It's still a bad feat, but not completely worthless