PDA

View Full Version : A Prc for Lycanthropes

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-08, 08:01 AM
Beastform Master

Beastform Masters are afflicted Lycanthropes who attempt to master their affliction.
Hit Dice: d8

Requirements

Race: Afflicted Lycanthrope
Skills: Control Shape 9 ranks, Survival 9 ranks
Feats: Improved Natural Attack (Claw or Bite), Multi-attack

Class Skills

The Beastform Master’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Control Shape (Wis), Climb (Str), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Nature), Move Silently (Dex), Survival (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int Modifier

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the Beastform Master prestige class.

Weapon and Armour Proficiency: A Beastform Master is proficient with no additional weapons or armour.
Vicious Talons: At first level the Beastform Master gains the ability to imbue his claws with vicious power. His natural weapons gain a +1 enhancement bonus and count as magic and silver weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. At 3rd level and every four levels thereafter this enchancement bonus increases by 1.
At 5th level the Beastform Master’s natural weapons gain the ability to count as silver or adamantine weapons for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. At 9th level the Beastform Master’s natural weapons count as chaotic aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Lycanthropic Healing: As a full round action, a Beastform master of at least 2nd level may attempt to heal himself with a successful control shape check. Roll on the following table to determin the number of hp and ability damage he heals. A Beasform Adept may use this ability once per day.
{table=head]Control Shape roll[/table]{table=head]|Healing

10-15|1d8+class level

16-20|2d8+class level +1d4 ability damage

21-25|3d8+class level +1d4 ability damage

26-30|4d8+class level +2d4 ability damage

31+|5d8+class level +2d4 ability damage[/table]

Improved Natural Armour: At 2nd level, increase the Beasform Adept’s natural armour in all forms by 2. Every four levels increase it by an additional 2.
Improved Damage Reduction: At 3rd level the Beastform Master’s Damage Reduction in animal or hybrid form increases by 5. At 8th level it increases by an addition 5.
Flexible Shapechange: At 4th level the Beastform Master gains greater control over his shapechange ability. Whenever he succeeds on a control shape check to shapechange by 5 or more he may instead change into a related animal. For example a Werewolf could turn into a dog, or direwolf but not a boar. Being human does not give him the ability to turn into any sort of ape.
Baleful Roar: When in animal or hybrid form, a Beastform Master of at least 5th level may make a fearsome roar as a standard action. Anyone within 60 ft. able to hear the Beastform Master must make a will save (DC 10 + class level + constitution modifer) or become shaken for a number of rounds equal to the Beastform Master’s Charisma modifier (minimum 1).
Quicken Change: For a Beastform Master of at least 6th level, changing form is a move action rather than a standard action. At 9th level this improves to a swift action.
Rend: A Beasform Master of at least 7th level gains the Rend ability. If he manages to hit an opponent with both claw attacks he may deal additional damage equal to 1d4 (1d3 for small lycanthropes, 1d6 for large lycanthropes) + 1.5 times his strength modifier + his natural weapons enhancement bonus. If the creature already had the Rend ability increase the die damage by one step.
Pounce: At 10th level, the Beastform Master gains the ability to make a full attack with his natural weapons as part of a charge. If the Beastform Master already had the Pounce ability he gains an additional +2 bonus on attack rolls for charging.

Beastform Master
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0
|
+0
|
+2
|
+2
|Vicious Talons +1

2nd|
+1
|
+0
|
+3
|
+3
|Lycanthropic Healing, Improved Natural Armour +2

3rd|
+2
|
+1
|
+3
|
+3
|Improved Damage Reduction (10/Silver), Vicious Talons +2

4th|
+3
|
+1
|
+4
|
+4
|Flexible Shapechange

5th|
+3
|
+1
|
+4
|
+4
|Vicious Talons +2 (Adamantine), Baleful Roar

6th|
+4
|
+2
|
+5
|
+5
|Quicken Change (move action), Improved Natural Armour +4

7th|
+5
|
+2
|
+5
|
+5
|Rend, Vicious Talons +3

8th|
+6
|
+2
|
+6
|
+6
|Improved Damage Reduction (15/Silver)

9th|
+6
|
+3
|
+6
|
+6
|Quicken Change (swift action), Vicious Talons +3 (Chaotic)

10th|
+7
|
+3
|
+7
|
+7
|Pounce, Improved Natural Armour +6[/table]

Epic Beastform Master
{table=head]Level|Special

11th|Vicious Talons +4

12th|Bonus Feat

13th|Vicious Talons +5

14th|Improved Natural Armour +8

15th|Vicious Talons +6

16th|Bonus Feat

17th|Vicious Talons +7

18th|Improved Natural Armour +10

19th|Vicious Talons +8

20th|Bonus Feat[/table]

Bonus Feat
An Epic Beastform Master gains a bonus feat at 12th level and every four levels thereafter.
Epic Beastform Master Bonus feat list: Armour Skin, Blinding Speed, Damage Reduction, Devastating Critical, Epic Endurance, Epic Prowess, Epic Lycanthropic Healing, Epic Skill Focus, Epic Toughness, Epic Weapon Focus, Fast Healing, Improved Low-light vision, Overwhelming Critical, Penetrate Damage Reduction.

Epic Lycanthropic Healing [Epic]
Prerequisites: Control Shape 25 ranks, Lycanthropic Healing class feature.
Benefit: For every 5 on your control shape check you roll over 35 you heal an additional 1d8 damage. For every 10 on your control shape check you roll over 35 you heal and additional 1d4 points of ability damage.
Normal: Your Lycanthropic healing ability caps at 5d8+class level hp and 2d4 ability damage.

Epic Vicious Talons [Epic]
Prerequisites: Control Shape 27 rank, Vicious Talons +5 class feature
Benefit: The enhancement bonus of your natural weapons increases by 1.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times. It’s effect stacks.

Rift_Wolf
2007-04-08, 08:14 AM
I presume the table's gonna be filled in soon?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-08, 08:22 AM
I presume the table's gonna be filled in soon?

Yes. I had to have lunch halfway through posting.

JellyPooga
2007-04-08, 09:20 AM
I quite like this, I have to say...however...

I would rather see 'Flexible Shapechange' removed and replaced with something more akin to the WarShapers ability to increase Str and Con while shapchanging. Perhaps something along the lines of:

Powerful Hybrid (Su): While in Hybrid form, the Beastform Master gains a +4 bonus to Str and Con

I say this because although the Lycanthrope can gain better control over their shapechanging, they are still afflicted with a specific disease which turns them into a specific animal. Also, there is potential for abuse, particularly in the Legendary Animal and Dinosaur areas (I'm a Werewolf and I'm going to become a Legendary Wolf" or "I'm a WereVelociraptor so I'm going to become a Tyrannosaurus Rex").

I would also advise that 'Lycanthropic Healing' be altered slightly. My suggestion would be to make it Once per day per 2 levels and to split it so that you may choose to heal Ability damage OR HP damage. Also, rather than healing xd8+class level HP, I would suggest that you make it (class level)dx, where x increases with the skill check (e.g. Control Shape roll 10-15 = d3, 16-20 = d4, 21-25 = d6, 26-30 = d8, 31+ = d10). Ability damage healed as per your table is fine.

I would also like to see the skill points increase, but that's because I like the class and I like skill points :smallbiggrin: . I think that would unbalance the class slightly; seeing as it is a combat class, it's fitting that skill points are low. I would be tempted to say, on that note, to increase B.A.B to full progression (as Fighter), but Vicious Talons may unbalance that...just a thought.

Anyway, I like it myself and hope my suggestions are of use.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-08, 09:50 AM
I would also like to see the skill points increase, but that's because I like the class and I like skill points :smallbiggrin: . I think that would unbalance the class slightly; seeing as it is a combat class, it's fitting that skill points are low. I would be tempted to say, on that note, to increase B.A.B to full progression (as Fighter), but Vicious Talons may unbalance that...just a thought.

The skill points and Base attack are supposed to be close to what he'd gain from additional animal HD. I'd love to give the class full ranger skills but that wouldn't be balanced. Vicious Talons would be balanced with Full Base attack if you made them pay money to enchant them. However that doesn't fit in with the class.

The Flexible Shapechange ability is supposed to be for changing into smaller animals for scouting. Transforming into a Legendary Wolf isn't so bad since they couldn't use it for Hybrid form. It's also supposed to be limited to animals with a HD of your class level. Possible alternatives:

Limit it so that you can't change your size or only take weaker forms.

My original idea was to limit it to animals Lycanthrope Empathy works with which would cut out Legendary creatures but not Dire ones.

Alternatively although them to choose a single additional animal form. Maybe give them an additional animal form later.

A Tyranosaurus isn't even vaguely related to a Velociraptor...

Lycanthropic Healing is supposed to be similar to the cure family of spells (although it's actually based on the Body Adjustment family of powers and a scene from the film Underworld). Making it heal hp OR ability damage would only really work if it was multiple uses per day. Constitution mod per day is an alternative but that would get screwed around by shapeshifting. Wisdom might work since it's tied to Control Shape and Lycanthropes get a +2 bonus. Class level is probably the best limiter and half or even third sounds about right.

JellyPooga
2007-04-08, 10:08 AM
The skill points and Base attack are supposed to be close to what he'd gain from additional animal HD. I'd love to give the class full ranger skills but that wouldn't be balanced. Vicious Talons would be balanced with Full Base attack if you made them pay money to enchant them. However that doesn't fit in with the class.

I see. Perhaps make Visious Talons XP based (Like Kensai)?? I'd keep skills as is.

Limit it so that you can't change your size or only take weaker forms.

Alternatively although them to choose a single additional animal form. Maybe give them an additional animal form later.

Either or both of these would be good. My preference would be to make it that you can upgrade your were-form to a dire version, but you can already be a were-dire animal.

A Tyranosaurus isn't even vaguely related to a Velociraptor...

Well, they're both dinosaurs, they're both bipedal carnivores. They're about as related as a Dire Wolf and a Dog (well, maybe a bit more distant, but you know what I mean)

Lycanthropic Healing is supposed to be similar to the cure family of spells (although it's actually based on the Body Adjustment family of powers and a scene from the film Underworld). Making it heal hp OR ability damage would only really work if it was multiple uses per day. Constitution mod per day is an alternative but that would get screwed around by shapeshifting. Wisdom might work since it's tied to Control Shape and Lycanthropes get a +2 bonus. Class level is probably the best limiter and half or even third sounds about right.

Like I say, I think Once per day per 2 levels would be fair (gives you 5 uses at lvl. 10). I did consider 3+(stat mod), possiby Wis, like Turn Attempts, but thought based on class level would be better. Considering its tie to Control Shape, varying the die type is, I think, valid. If you wanted it more like the Cure series, make the amount of damage healed based on class level (e.g. 1d8 per 2 levels, or something), rather than CS.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-08, 10:16 AM
neat idea, paried with spme FR stuff this could be very fun to play

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-08, 10:47 AM
neat idea, paried with spme FR stuff this could be very fun to play

If you want to use this for Forgotten Realms then People of the Black Blood would be most obvious. Church of Selune as well as Lythari for the good side of things. I think there's already a Selunite class for Lycanthropes but I don't know where it is. It was either a Web Enhancement or an article on the website.