PDA

View Full Version : Any 2d6 games?

Yora
2015-02-28, 11:54 AM
I am quite fond of Barbarians of Lemuria and looking for possible ways to tweak and expand it. Does anyone know about other games in which the standard dice to roll for most actions are 2d6?
I would imagine there are quite a few, and people have made lots of variants of BoL, but are there other games that use these dice? (2d4 and 2d8 would work too).

Mr.Moron
2015-02-28, 12:07 PM
Iron Kingdoms is the first thing that comes to mind. Most rolls are 2d6, but with bonus dice available under specific circumstances. Usually either using magic or spending "Feat Points" the system's meta-resource.

Knaight
2015-02-28, 12:21 PM
PDQ is entirely 2d6 based, so that's an option.

Thrudd
2015-02-28, 01:06 PM
Feng Shui uses only 2 dice, but not for the 2-12 bell curve. One positive, one negative, the result to be added to a skill number and compared to a target or enemy's skill number.

J-H
2015-02-28, 01:16 PM
It's not an RPG, but Settlers of Catan is 2d6 based. They even give the probabilities for each number being rolled in the manual and on the board.

Knaight
2015-02-28, 01:19 PM
Feng Shui uses only 2 dice, but not for the 2-12 bell curve. One positive, one negative, the result to be added to a skill number and compared to a target or enemy's skill number.

The 1d6-1d6 bell curve is the exact same as the 2-12 bell curve, except offset by -7 (though if it's something like roll one positive one negative, take the lower die it behaves very differently).

Thrudd
2015-02-28, 01:46 PM
The 1d6-1d6 bell curve is the exact same as the 2-12 bell curve, except offset by -7 (though if it's something like roll one positive one negative, take the lower die it behaves very differently).

Right, it's a range of -5 to +5, with the most likely result being 0. Though with exploding 6's, it's really more like -4 to +4, with chances of getting +6 or higher and -6 or lower.

Afgncaap5
2015-02-28, 01:54 PM
Right, it's a range of -5 to +5, with the most likely result being 0. Though with exploding 6's, it's really more like -4 to +4, with chances of getting +6 or higher and -6 or lower.

-6 or lower? Would that suggest exploding ones as well in a situation where ones are a "negative value"? That has some interesting possibilities...

Thrudd
2015-02-28, 02:33 PM
-6 or lower? Would that suggest exploding ones as well in a situation where ones are a "negative value"? That has some interesting possibilities...

No, if you roll a 6 on either die, it explodes and you roll it again, adding it to the total. Ones remain.

One die is negative, so you want to get 1's on that one. If the negative die gets a 6, that is -6 added to whatever result was on the positive die. Then you roll it again, and continue to add negative numbers until you stop getting 6's. If the positive die gets a 1, and the negative die gets a 6, you start at -5 and then roll the negative die again, driving the result at least as low as -6.

With the exploding 6's, no matter what the result on the other die, there's a chance you could reach any height or depth. You get +5 and -6, that starts out as just a -1, but if you just keep rolling -6's, you could end up way down there. Or vice versa.

Haven
2015-02-28, 02:40 PM
I am quite fond of Barbarians of Lemuria and looking for possible ways to tweak and expand it. Does anyone know about other games in which the standard dice to roll for most actions are 2d6?
I would imagine there are quite a few, and people have made lots of variants of BoL, but are there other games that use these dice? (2d4 and 2d8 would work too).

Apocalypse World, Dungeon World and all other Powered by the Apocalypse games. The resolution mechanic is 2d6 plus stat (usually +3 at most), 10+ is a complete success, 7-9 is a partial or qualified success, and on a 6 or less you fail, get XP, and the DM gets to make a move. The whole point of the system is that something always happens, even failure moves the story forward. (That's just one of the things that makes it great.)

Ashtagon
2015-02-28, 06:15 PM
Dating back to the mid-80s, Fighting Fantasy (the gamebook series) had an official adaptation to tabletop RPGs. It's pretty much the original fantasy 2d6 game (Traveller won the crown for first 2d6 RPG).

Grinner
2015-02-28, 08:16 PM
An RPG by the name of A Wanderer's Romance uses a 2d6 mechanic. The combat mechanic is pretty nifty as well.

Maglubiyet
2015-03-01, 10:31 AM
The original Traveller by GDW from 1977 used a 2d6 character-creation and combat system.

BootStrapTommy
2015-03-01, 01:44 PM
I feel like 3d6 games have better probabilities.

aspekt
2015-03-01, 03:24 PM
GDW Traveler is a lot of fun just rolling up your character. Mainly because of all the story elements that form your skills and background. But also because you could die in character creation.

As an aside one of the forum standby's Mark made a nifty little One Deck Engine (ODE) using jus a standard deck of playing cards. It can found here I believe:

http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/2013/08/ode-one-deck-engine.html?m=1

golentan
2015-03-01, 04:20 PM
Mongoose Traveller has a 2d6 resolution system and is just a fantastic game.

All of the seconding. :smallbiggrin:

aspekt
2015-03-02, 02:10 AM
Doesn't the original silver cover, spiral bound Chainmail use 2d6 exclusively?

Dimers
2015-03-02, 04:12 AM
Can't recall now whether it was Mechwarrior or Battletech -- possibly both -- that used 2d6 for almost everything. (Last time I saw inside one of those books was in the mid-90s, so please pardon the memory lapse.) I remember it mostly because I stole a mechanic from it. Natural Aptitude let you roll 3d6 and take the more favorable two dice for one skill you're really, really good at. I ported that to GURPS, where it became rolling 4d6 and taking the best three, of course.

Segev
2015-03-02, 08:30 AM
BESM (Big Eyes, Small Mouth) uses 2d6 in all three of its editions. The first two editions are roll-under systems; the 3rd is a roll-over system.

Yora
2015-03-02, 08:52 AM
Oh, so many...

Though mostly names I've never ever heard of before. Which is weird, because I think it's a very neat and tidy standard roll for RPGs.

Karl Aegis
2015-03-06, 02:44 PM
I recently discovered Japan has something called the Standard RPG System that uses 2d6. I think it has 14 or so games that use SRS according to the wikipedia page of it. Haven't actually played it myself.