PDA

View Full Version : Good system for a thief game?

dysike
2015-02-28, 02:47 PM
I've been wanting to run a game for some time now where the players would be members of a thieves guild doing various jobs and heists. My original plan was to run it using D&D but it occurred to me that there would probably be a better system to use.

So does anyone know a good system for this style of game, preferably it would have relatively simple combat but an detailed skill system and also some mechanic for tracking honour/reputation?

dream
2015-02-28, 04:35 PM
I've been wanting to run a game for some time now where the players would be members of a thieves guild doing various jobs and heists. My original plan was to run it using D&D but it occurred to me that there would probably be a better system to use.

So does anyone know a good system for this style of game, preferably it would have relatively simple combat but an detailed skill system and also some mechanic for tracking honour/reputation?
I'd use Margaret Weiss Productions' Leverage as a good reference, since it focuses on thieves/con-men, but D&D/PF does a proper Thieves' Guild better than most games.

GURPS has perhaps the best (and most meticulously-listed) skill system in TTRPGs and, well, you can use GURPS for anything. I'm not sure what edition of D&D you're using, but 3.5 & 3.75/Pathfinder both have rules for Honor/Reputation:smallsmile:

JeenLeen
2015-02-28, 04:41 PM
How supernatural do you want your PCs to be? That could impact the decision on what system to use. If you want a team of supernaturally skilled (either by magic or just better skilled than a human naturally can be), that would be different than one where you want mundane guildmembers.

Unfortunately, no systems come to mind easily, in either form. I know a lot with such skill checks, but it would often devolve to 'a normal PC in that system, but putting points into 1-3 skills'.

aspekt
2015-02-28, 05:03 PM
I'd recommend the game based on the fantasy short story series Thieve's World. But I've never played it.

I would highly suggest the book series for reading prep for your game.

Also some of the AD&D modules based on Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser series have some great city maps. (Typically with the city name Lankhmar in the module title.) And you will probably find a lot of use from maps like that if you have thieves plotting thievey things.

BWR
2015-03-01, 03:06 PM
Seconding the Lankhmar products. Great for thiefy things.
The Freeport products also do pretty well, especially if you don't mind throwing some piratey action into the mix.

BootStrapTommy
2015-03-01, 11:06 PM
GURPS has perhaps the best (and most meticulously-listed) skill system in TTRPGs and, well, you can use GURPS for anything. I'm not sure what edition of D&D you're using, but 3.5 & 3.75/Pathfinder both have rules for Honor/Reputation:smallsmile:
Whenever possible, I shamelessly plug GURPS.

aspekt
2015-03-02, 02:04 AM
There is apparently a d20 system adaption of Thieve's World as well.