PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Zelda

Fuum Bango
2007-04-08, 09:59 AM
Hey gang, you all know and love the Legend of Zelda series right?

Well, what would you personally like to see in the next one?

For me, I'd love to have;

1. The Happy Mask Salesmen. It'd be great if he was just wandering around the world, turning up in weird places, like in the middle of the desert behind a rock. He wouldn't have a huge part to play in the plot, but he'd tell the player short stories that add to the flavour of Hyrule as well a lending you tons of masks.

2. A lighter style, with friendly, zany characters and weird landscape, like a giant, giant hill in the middle of a field or a temple shaped like a shell.

3. A intelligent Zelda, what is wisdom eh? Why does the dumbest broad in the world have ownership of the Triforce of Wisdom. Maybe a backstory of her father being mad or that after the Queen died he fell into sorrow and no longer wishes to rule. I want a scene with her outwitting a diplomat or someone claiming she can't control the kingdom. She shouldn't get kidnapped.

4. A music contest in zora's domain. Yep, a rock off. I think its a great idea for a series that uses so much sound. The basics, half way though the game a party is held and lots of characters turn up in one place, lots of chatting, side-quests and maybe a singer goes missing!

5. A huge Lost Woods. Need I say more?

Edit: Also of course, I'd like a long game. :smile:

Mewtarthio
2007-04-08, 10:04 AM
1. The Happy Mask Salesmen. It'd be great if he was just wandering around the world, turning up in weird places, like in the middle of the desert behind a rock. He wouldn't have a huge part to play in the plot, but he'd tell the player short stories that add to the flavour of Hyrule as well a lending you tons of masks.

YEEAARGH! The Happy Mask Salesman... showing up in random places... He's not just safely inside his shop or the Clock Tower anymore, oh no... You're just walking around and BAM he's behind the bush and he's opening his eyes with that evil grin of his saying ohwouldyoukindlyspreadhappinesstotheworld NOOOOOOO! :smalleek:

Fuum Bango
2007-04-08, 10:12 AM
YEEeeeaasss! Muhahaha.
Imagine talking to a big goron and then the Mask Man pops over his shoulder and starts talking to Link.

For anyone wondering though, I'm not too bothered if this perfect zelda is 3D or 2D.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-08, 10:19 AM
none of these things IMO would make a zelda perfect, in fact i think it would make it darn near unplayable, save for the rock off, that would be cool. Zelda is smart, Sheik ring a bell? She just got a little carried away and got caught.

Fuum Bango
2007-04-08, 10:21 AM
It's not "perfect", I'm just asking what people want :smile: . Unplayable? Why? None of these things change the style of game or overall plot. Explain.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-08, 10:29 AM
lighter style and zany charaters? the roaming mask guy? need i say more, i would still play it like that, ive played every zelda game made to my knoweldge, includng the crappy CD-I games...i say make it darker, more gritty. When an evil overlord takes over your world and captures your love interest the last thing i want is a light hearted, crazy and wacky world. To me, if i was the hero, that would make me all kinds of bitter. The world is controled by evil why is everyone so happy...

Fuum Bango
2007-04-08, 10:33 AM
Ah. Alright, your on of those. For me, lifes harsh enough so I like funny games. But hey, thats what the threads for, say what you'd like. Besides I didn't say it wouldn't have dark things in it, but it wouldnt be Zelda without crazy people running around.

Fuum Bango
2007-04-08, 10:34 AM
Also the Maskman makes a Zelda game 56 percent better. A well known fact.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-08, 10:38 AM
i disagree, i hated Majora's mask, i thought it was sligthly better then the CD-I games and that is really not saying much. And yes i guess i am one of "Those". Life my be harsh, and it is, but whe i play a game i like to feel like im in the world, and its hard for me to connect to a game made for kids or thats just to zany. Didnt like Ketemari Damashi or how ever you spell it, and i had a hard time liking wind waker but i did by the end. Perhaps its a generation thing, i dont know. And its not to say i dont enjoy light hearted comedy, god knows my wife makes me sit through them every time she wants to see one, but as far as games go? Well i get enough of it thanks to marrige, why would i want to play a game like that

Fuum Bango
2007-04-08, 10:44 AM
Hmm, I get your point. But I suppose it's just preference, my idea could by a DS game and lets face it, if the next Wii Zelda isn’t realistic I’ll eat my hat.
But enough of this, what ideas do you have for the next Zelda? Do you want it to be in Hyrule? What landmarks do you want in it?

Jibar
2007-04-08, 11:12 AM
I'll just pop in and voice my opinions.

1. One big, living hyrule. Random animals running around. Towns with more than 6 people. Real people with real lives. Animals that actually hunt.

2. Politics. Please say I'm not the only one who likes a bit of political intrigue? A war of words with diplomats, betrayal and lies in the throne room.

3. War. I recken a war would be good. Have Link thrown into a Dynasty Warriors style fight with Ganon's forces.

4. More weapons. Things other than swords, so say an axe, or a spear. Not just a bow and sword.

5. More RPG elements. I'd just like to be able to play as a Zora magician or Goron warrior.

Lòkki Gallansbayne
2007-04-08, 11:30 AM
Rolling around as a huge Goron with spikes needs to come back. That kicked all kinds of ass in Majora.

Also, one thing I'd really like to see is even more character interaction and development. They've been making progress towards that, such as all the side-quests in Majora and Wind Waker and the way you meet various characters several times in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (and a bit in Ocarina and Majora), but they need to do push those aspects even more I reckon.

Lots of dungeons. Lots and lots of dungeons. Like A Link to the Past or Ocarina.

As for tone, I think the way they do it in Ocarina, Majora and TP is perfect. The games can be bright and crazy when they wants to (I mean just look at the Happy Mask guy and *shudder* Tingle), but they can be dark and gritty too.

2D vs. 3D? Definitely, definitely 3D. The 2D games were great back in the day, but I'm fed up with new 2D Zeldas (although Minish Cap was good). It just feels like such a waste when just about every console Zelda from OoT onwards has proved that Zelda works just as well in 3D as it did in 2D, if not better. Other series (Sonic springs to mind) have suffered from the jump from 2D to 3D, but there's nothing that 2D Zelda games do that 3D Zelda games don't do at least as well or better. Especially graphically. Huge rolling landscapes just feel so much more epic than scrolling fields.

The next Wii game should definitely make more use of the Wiimote (hopefully it'll be actually developed on the Wii this time, which should help). How much motion sensing stuff is in the nunchuck? If it's on par with the Wiimote, you could have like the Wiimote as your sword, nunchuck as shield and actually swing it like a sword and move your shield to block attacks, like Wii Sports but with sword and board fighting. That would be all kinds of awesome. Although I don't know how stuff like TP's hidden skills would work.

Seconding the rock-off. I mean Zelda games have had musical instruments in them since Ocarina (and in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess they're almost like a mini rhythm game), so why the hell not?

Speaking of Zelda and rock offs, Jackson made a guitar like that Zora bloke what you turn into in Majora's Mask had. I so want one of those, but I'd have to be fantastically wealthy.

Oh, and the ball and chain and bomb arrows are awesometastic and need to be in every Zelda game from now on.

EDIT: Severely seconding points #1 and #5 from Jibar, although all of them are good suggestions.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-08, 11:35 AM
1. One big, living hyrule. Random animals running around. Towns with more than 6 people. Real people with real lives. Animals that actually hunt.

Majora's Mask, anyone? At least for the "real people with real lives" part.

2. Politics. Please say I'm not the only one who likes a bit of political intrigue? A war of words with diplomats, betrayal and lies in the throne room.

But Link can't even talk! Everyone else just sort of infers what he's saying. That'd be an odd exchange:

"What's that, Link? The Chancellor shoved Prince Timothy down the well? Good job, Link, let's hurry!"

And let's not forget the dramatic court scenes:

"Link, stand up and tell everyone what you saw!"
*fade to black*
"GASP!"
"He's lying!"
"What evidence do you have, Link?"
*press C to show evidence*
"Sweet Naryu! It's impossible!"

3. War. I recken a war would be good. Have Link thrown into a Dynasty Warriors style fight with Ganon's forces.

What's the Dynasty Warriors system like?

4. More weapons. Things other than swords, so say an axe, or a spear. Not just a bow and sword.

Link has bows, bombs, arrow/bomb hybrids, giant hammers, magic bottles ("Thank you for rescuing my cat, Link! Here, I have one of only four bottles in the world lying around the house: Why don't you take it?"), boomerangs, slingshots, freakish spearheads with retractable chains that have no analogue in the real world, gigantic metal spheres bigger than him, magical rods that shoot fire and ice, cannons, butterly nets, and Din-knows-what-else I've forgotten.

5. More RPG elements. I'd just like to be able to play as a Zora magician or Goron warrior.

I don't think the new Zelda game will be that different. Plus, it brings up the question of why all these people are able to stand against Ganon when Link's the only one with the Triforce (unless they pull a KotoR and isolate the protagonist at the end).

Jibar
2007-04-08, 11:49 AM
Majora's Mask, anyone? At least for the "real people with real lives" part.

I know, I loved all that. Especially the Kafei and Anju side quest.

But Link can't even talk! Everyone else just sort of infers what he's saying. That'd be an odd exchange:

Well, it doesn't have to be Link doing it.

What's the Dynasty Warriors system like?

You're a field commander. You fight enemy soldiers by yourself, while all around you your soldiers fight too. They have morale, individual health. A hack and slash game, sure, but makes you feel like you're in the middle of a battle.

Link has bows, bombs, arrow/bomb hybrids, giant hammers, magic bottles ("Thank you for rescuing my cat, Link! Here, I have one of only four bottles in the world lying around the house: Why don't you take it?"), boomerangs, slingshots, freakish spearheads with retractable chains that have no analogue in the real world, gigantic metal spheres bigger than him, magical rods that shoot fire and ice, cannons, butterly nets, and Din-knows-what-else I've forgotten.

I mean more weapons he can use with the B Button or Wiimote for.
"Hmmm. This enemy has armour that remists my slashes. But look, a weak point. I could stab him with my sword...or I could get my spear out."
"My sword gets stuck in this wooden enemy. I'll pull out my axe and cut him down."
"Gasp. His defenses are too strong, I'll just pull out my lightsaber and destroy him."

I don't think the new Zelda game will be that different. Plus, it brings up the question of why all these people are able to stand against Ganon when Link's the only one with the Triforce (unless they pull a KotoR and isolate the protagonist at the end).

Didn't say it had to be Ganon. Maybe Vaati or some new villain?
I'd just like the oppurtunity. Zelda RPG... would be pretty cool.

Fuum Bango
2007-04-08, 11:55 AM

Yeah! I havn't played many RPG's but surely there could be more people.

I would, I've noticed Zelda is always a lone figure caring for Hyrule, surely lots of people would be after her job. What could be cool is Link doesn't have any proof that Ganon is the bad guy. I mean no one ever remembers him, so give him a new name and he can try to take the throne a political way.

Aaaaaah! Well, maybe in the multi-player a lot of Zelda games are adding:smallbiggrin:

Also I've just thought, I think the Shiekah should have more of a presence. Old diaries to read, common folk who are secretly Shiekah, maybe some creepy spirits that tell the tale of how they died out.

storybookknight
2007-04-08, 12:18 PM
On the character development note:

While it's true that people do develop and change in the Zelda games (the Anju/Kafei sidequest is a good example), the hero rarely does. It would be nice to have a Link who wasn't so... 2-dimensional? The game could seriously use romantic subplots that actually had resolutions (they should have just ended Twilight Princess with Link seeing her all tall and humanoid arrrgh) and character development of the main character.

Also, the titular character needs some more respect. I mean, having her shoot Ganon with arrows was pretty okay, but like, in Ocarina of Time it was almost like she was important, or dare I say, even competent

Getting the chance to play as Zelda - or especially as Sheik - would be pretty cool, I have to say.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-08, 12:30 PM
they have tried letting you play as Zelda...the game was such a disaster i dont even think its spoken about over at Nintendo....she used a whip and had to save link.....god it was so bad

but i agree with the more weapons...soud and shield is getting to tried and true...throw in an axe or a spear or even sword chuks....
Some romantic resolution would be nice, not needed but cant say it would be disliked.
More interaction between the three tri-force bearers other then fighting and kidnapping. Let Ganon talk to Zelda about other things then "YOU LINK IS GOING TO DIE MUHAHAHAHAHAHA"

Fuum Bango
2007-04-08, 12:32 PM
On the character development note:

While it's true that people do develop and change in the Zelda games (the Anju/Kafei sidequest is a good example), the hero rarely does. It would be nice to have a Link who wasn't so... 2-dimensional? The game could seriously use romantic subplots that actually had resolutions (they should have just ended Twilight Princess with Link seeing her all tall and humanoid arrrgh) and character development of the main character.

Also, the titular character needs some more respect. I mean, having her shoot Ganon with arrows was pretty okay, but like, in Ocarina of Time it was almost like she was important, or dare I say, even competent

Getting the chance to play as Zelda - or especially as Sheik - would be pretty cool, I have to say.

I agree with all that. Also I've just thought, maybe the princess would appear more competent if she knew some of the people in Hyrule. I think it would be neat if you first meet her no in the castle, but attending a meeting with the Zora.

(Man I need a new keyboard)

Jibar
2007-04-08, 12:49 PM
sword and shield is getting to tried and true...

Oh God no. I wouldn't give up the Sword and Shield for anything.
Too many heroes these days running around with barely any clothes on (Vaaaaaaan!) and, ya know, living. Link may only run around in a tunic, but at least he tries.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-08, 01:25 PM
More interaction between the three tri-force bearers other then fighting and kidnapping. Let Ganon talk to Zelda about other things then "YOU LINK IS GOING TO DIE MUHAHAHAHAHAHA"

You mean something like his role in Wind Waker?

Maryring
2007-04-08, 01:54 PM
I want the Zelda from OoT, the Ganon(dorf) from Wind Waker, the living world from MM, the interesting individuals (The five sages from OoT (Yes, I'm excluding the sage of light) for example, or Marin from Links Awakening) like those in previous games. A musical instrument, preferably an Ocariana, with MANY magical songs. A pet like those from the Oracle games. Magical spells like those from A link to the past, and finally, Epona.

Krytha
2007-04-08, 02:04 PM
they have tried letting you play as Zelda...the game was such a disaster i dont even think its spoken about over at Nintendo....she used a whip and had to save link.....god it was so bad

but i agree with the more weapons...soud and shield is getting to tried and true...throw in an axe or a spear or even sword chuks....
Some romantic resolution would be nice, not needed but cant say it would be disliked.
Yeah, but was that game a disaster because they had no idea what they were doing and not a whole tradition of making great zelda games at that point? I'm sure they could do it again, and do it RIGHT this time.

I want a good zelda link ending. for once. What the hell!?

EvilElitest
2007-04-08, 03:22 PM

Like Oblivion style? That would e nice

I like you style, that would be very interesting (Shadow link would make a great assasion)

Link fighting more than five enemies at once on a horse? Sounds good.

Duel swords

Wow, please PM, we could try a homebrew
from,
EE

Innis Cabal
2007-04-08, 03:43 PM
Krytha, the game was terrible for enough reasons to start a whoel new thread about it...and ya new heros may not be cut from the mold of Link and use other weapons but thats good, sorry but the long sword and shield is iconic enough, time to make some other combination be at the forefront. Guilty Gear, i know its a fighting game but please bear with me, is a perfect example of how weapons should be handled. Sure t kind of goes against my "ZANY IS EVIL" stance but i find strange weapons....like a fishing pole or anchor, to be interesting and frsh, heck another great example would be Suikoden...i think seeing Link with a strange weapon would be a good change

EvilElitest
2007-04-08, 05:28 PM
Krytha, the game was terrible for enough reasons to start a whoel new thread about it...and ya new heros may not be cut from the mold of Link and use other weapons but thats good, sorry but the long sword and shield is iconic enough, time to make some other combination be at the forefront. Guilty Gear, i know its a fighting game but please bear with me, is a perfect example of how weapons should be handled. Sure t kind of goes against my "ZANY IS EVIL" stance but i find strange weapons....like a fishing pole or anchor, to be interesting and frsh, heck another great example would be Suikoden...i think seeing Link with a strange weapon would be a good change

what game are you talking about. I thought i played all of the zelda games

Anyways, i think a more detailed history would be nice in the next zelda game, along with more races/weapons/monsters ect.
from,
EE
EDIT; More plot invovling Shadow link, and an epic 3-D fight

Innis Cabal
2007-04-09, 06:24 PM
it was one of the CD-I games, she used a whip as her main weapon and they werent really big here in the states, back in those days i had more money to spend on things, the three games and system werent done with Nintendo and were not really retialed outside of Europe, but like i said back in the day i could spend money on stuff like that

EvilElitest
2007-04-09, 06:46 PM
it was one of the CD-I games, she used a whip as her main weapon and they werent really big here in the states, back in those days i had more money to spend on things, the three games and system werent done with Nintendo and were not really retialed outside of Europe, but like i said back in the day i could spend money on stuff like that

Sounds strange, what was this game?
from,
EE

Innis Cabal
2007-04-09, 07:53 PM
there were two you played as zelda actually, go to the almighty wiki and look up the CD-i games, and read the horror, one of them was voted the 6th worst video game

Serenity
2007-04-09, 10:03 PM
At one point I was actually sketching out ideas for a Zelda RPG with a style of play similar to KOTOR, with romance options for all the OoT girls (except Impa).

Innis Cabal
2007-04-09, 10:04 PM
give impa some love!

Legendary
2007-04-09, 10:24 PM
I think I'd like some characters that I could grow attached to. I mean, Anju and Kafei were pure awesomeness, but after that, I just don't care as much about the characters except for Link, Zelda, and Midna.

Also: Maybe have the dungeons less elemental based and more varied. I mean, look at TP: Forest dungeon, fire dungeon, water dungeon, desert dungeon, ice dungeon, ancient dungeon, sky dungeon... I know that the temples have to be in exotic locales, but the temple in the desert needn't be covered in quicksand. Spice things up, ya know?

Zorg
2007-04-10, 04:28 AM
At the very end have Link try to kiss Zelda, be snubbed, shrug and say to the camera "well excuuuuse me Princess!".

:smallbiggrin:

Reinboom
2007-04-10, 05:37 AM
there were two you played as zelda actually, go to the almighty wiki and look up the CD-i games, and read the horror, one of them was voted the 6th worst video game

I.. played through them..
1 item kills ganon x_x, no real combat. I forget which was zelda's, I think the book.

The top down "you play zelda" game wasn't that bad, kind of entertaining really except for the live action cut scenes.

What I would like to see in a zelda game..
A very well mixed world of 'zany' and dark. Majora's Mask, although short and lacking, almost could've accomplished this. You have a whole populous that is going to die within a certain number of days, and everything is in hiatus. It even had darker underlying themes. Look at the musical brothers, one sold his soul and the other was living with the anguish of his lost brother.
Taking a look back even, you could look at the song of storms upon this situation and see it for a symbolism of rain's anguish.
However... as for game length/challange/etc., of course, MM was lacking. Though for concept I believe it to be one of the better Zelda games.

I also wish to see more character development, and a slightly more vast world. Developing characters (as mentioned before, Marin from Link's Awakening was great). There is minor character development mostly thus far, and the Zelda series could easily be made to expand upon it.

The dungeons should also be a bit more expansive and unique. Looking back on OoT, I can remember Volvagia's and Morpha's Dungeon the most. Volvagia's for being interesting, morpha's for being somewhat annoying. In contrast, I can recall turtle dungeon, the swamp dungeon, dungeon 2 [dark world] (in the plains), dungeon 1 [dark world], ganon's tower, and to some extent dungeon 5 (ice) well from LttP. Each for having it's own bit of annoyance, interestingness, and design. There's something missing for me from dungeons for the modern zelda's that I can't pin point.

I believe Link should stick to the Sword/Shield style, with only a couple extra options that are situational like before. Beyond this, I don't want to see one of more favored series being looked at like god of war.

Oh, and more music!

EvilElitest
2007-04-10, 01:58 PM
Things i don't wanted changed

1. Keep link a mute
2. No romance between Zelda and Link. Its better left hinted at
3. While i want link to have more character, i also want him to keep some of the things that keep him link
4. LInk keeps his hat
And what i want back
LINK IS LEFT HANDED
really, he should be left handed again
from,
EE