PDA

View Full Version : A Hypothetical Assassination

Chester
2015-02-28, 03:28 PM
Let's say, in 3.5, that a level 14 Dread Necromancer wanted to rid himself of a level 14 enemy, a Druid / Sorcerer / Arcane Heirophant. Toe to toe, Druid would likely win the fight, though DN has cohort and followers, plus access to the Shadowstaff.

Hypothetically, an assassination is a better alternative. How might one going about such an assassination? Send shadows? Use Planar Binding / Quest to send an extra planar being? What are some good ways to carry out such an endeavor?

Ephemeral_Being
2015-02-28, 05:02 PM
How much time have you got? And, how evil are you willing to go?

Best plan I've got is to use a combination of "Geas/Quest" and "Oath of Blood." Start building an army. You can create 2-3 soldiers a day, every day. Render helpless, cast Geas, cast Oath of Blood, kill. They get no saving throws to resist, and you now have an undead, unceasing seeker of your enemy. This is not limited by anything but time (limited spells/day) and an unwillingness to kill innocent people. I mean, you could mitigate the evil somewhat by using goblins/orcs. Capture a small tribe, and convert to an army. But it's still going to be "evil."

And as far as I can tell, the wording of Geas isn't limited to Humanoids. You could use magic to communicate with animals, and send those after the Druid to mess with him. Dragons, too, theoretically. Or really anything you can think of. Hell, go find his friends and family. See what he says to his reanimated, six year old son coming at him with a pike.

You'd never have to get near him. He'd be wandering around the countryside, and after a few days he'd get attacked. And then the next day. And the next day. He'd never have a moment's peace. Kind of brilliant, in a way. You could take your final revenge on him at your leisure. Once he's exhausted and out of spells, and hasn't slept for a week, then you capture him, torture him, and reanimate him as a member of your undead horde.

That should work, assuming he isn't actively hunting you. If he is, then you'll need something else.

Amphetryon
2015-02-28, 05:04 PM
Allips. Lots of Allips.

Chester
2015-02-28, 05:21 PM
Might help to know that via Arcane Disciple, I have Magic COP Good. Opens up more with Planar Binding.

atemu1234
2015-02-28, 08:23 PM
Allips. Lots of Allips.

And shadows.

Bad Wolf
2015-02-28, 08:45 PM
Let's say, in 3.5, that a level 14 Dread Necromancer wanted to rid himself of a level 14 enemy, a Druid / Sorcerer / Arcane Heirophant. Toe to toe, Druid would likely win the fight, though DN has cohort and followers, plus access to the Shadowstaff.

Hypothetically, an assassination is a better alternative. How might one going about such an assassination? Send shadows? Use Planar Binding / Quest to send an extra planar being? What are some good ways to carry out such an endeavor?

What level is the AH? Typical Sorcerer 4/Druid 3/Arcane Heirophant 7? In that case, you'd be two spell levels ahead of him, which makes things easier. I'd say bind a few elementals, as he might resort to blasting spells, and most druid blasting spells are fire-based. Get some stuff with DR in case he resorts to wildshape.

Or a twelve-headed pyrohydra. Head o another plane, bind it, and come back to the Prime. It's fast healing is ridiculous.

Chester
2015-03-01, 08:32 AM
What level is the AH? Typical Sorcerer 4/Druid 3/Arcane Heirophant 7? In that case, you'd be two spell levels ahead of him, which makes things easier. I'd say bind a few elementals, as he might resort to blasting spells, and most druid blasting spells are fire-based. Get some stuff with DR in case he resorts to wildshape.

Or a twelve-headed pyrohydra. Head o another plane, bind it, and come back to the Prime. It's fast healing is ridiculous.

Yes, that's exactly the build.

As per "heading to another plane," I thought you didn't need to do that for Planar Binding?

Bad Wolf
2015-03-01, 09:48 AM
Yes, that's exactly the build.

As per "heading to another plane," I thought you didn't need to do that for Planar Binding?

If you want to bind something from the Prime, it'll need to have the extraplanar subtype. So, go to another plane, have it follow you back.