PDA

View Full Version : ability scores at different levels?

XionUnborn01
2015-02-28, 04:44 PM
I'm working on a homebrew class idea and I was wondering what the playground uses as a standard score at different levels. I think the mechanic will be a pool with the equation lvl+wis+con I'm thinking level 1 will be about 28 points (1+14+13) or so. But I'm having a hard time figuring out where to aim at higher levels. Any ideas guys?

OldTrees1
2015-02-28, 04:59 PM
I am not sure what exactly you are asking. Are you asking: What is the expected growth in ability scores as characters level both in terms of gains from HD and gains for equipment?

XionUnborn01
2015-02-28, 05:31 PM
Basically, yeah. I'm trying to find a benchmark for what the pool size would be to base ability costs on. So I'm trying to get an estimate of what would be average ability scores throughout levels.

You bring up a question though. Should class abilities based off of ability scores take magic items into account? They shouldn't right?

OldTrees1
2015-02-28, 06:24 PM
Basically, yeah. I'm trying to find a benchmark for what the pool size would be to base ability costs on. So I'm trying to get an estimate of what would be average ability scores throughout levels.

You bring up a question though. Should class abilities based off of ability scores take magic items into account? They shouldn't right?

Class abilities based off ability scores do take the modified ability score into account. They also tend to use ability modifiers rather than ability scores.

The growth of ability scores depends on what ability scores are valued and for what are they valued. Also how many are valued.

For example: A character that only cares about the growth in 1 ability score(say a Wizard's Int) would likely increase that score every 4HD and use 50% of their WBL on boosts to that ability score. On the other hand a warrior with a versatile set of skills would want to boost Str a lot but also boost Dex, Int and Cha. Also said warrior would not be able to afford devoting a full 50% to boosting Str since they will also be boosting their weapon.