PDA

View Full Version : Racial Template Help

Roll Me A D20
2015-02-28, 06:49 PM
I was just wondering how many racial templates a player character is allowed to have. Thank you in advance for you help

Xerlith
2015-02-28, 06:59 PM
Umm... As many as they qualify for?

Necroticplague
2015-02-28, 06:59 PM
By default, there is no limit, but you have to pay for any template by increasing your ECL. To if you have too many templates, you could end up getting no experience for quite a while.

Roll Me A D20
2015-02-28, 07:04 PM
By default, there is no limit, but you have to pay for any template by increasing your ECL. To if you have too many templates, you could end up getting no experience for quite a while.

So if I have 3 templates at 1st Level my ECL is 4?

Ephemeral_Being
2015-02-28, 07:06 PM
So if I have 3 templates at 1st Level my ECL is 4?

It's not quite that simple. Different templates have a different Level Adjustment.

Which ones are you looking at?

Roll Me A D20
2015-02-28, 07:13 PM
It's not quite that simple. Different templates have a different Level Adjustment.

Which ones are you looking at?

I wasnt looking at any in particular. Mostly just wondering if there was a numerical limit. I really appreciate your help though!

Troacctid
2015-02-28, 07:26 PM
If your 3 templates are Dark, Draconic, and Amphibious, then at 1st level you'll have an ECL of 3. If your 3 templates are Axiomatic, Half-Dragon, and Dracolich, then at 1st level you'll have an ECL of 12. So it depends.

You can normally have as many templates as your ECL permits, but some templates are incompatible--for example, you cannot have both the Half-Fiend and Vampire templates, because only humanoids and monstrous humanoids can become vampires and Half-Fiend makes you an outsider. Also, stacking up LA from multiple templates tends to be a very bad idea.

atemu1234
2015-02-28, 08:22 PM
As limited by DM.

Ruethgar
2015-03-01, 10:23 AM
I would suggest that, if you are going for multiple inherited templates, find out if they have class equivalents instead. For example the Draconic and Half Dragon templates are rolled into the Draconic class from races of the dragon which advances your class level for level adjustment buy-off as an added bonus. The Half Dragon template also has its own web enhancement Half Dragon class as do the listed Lycantropes, Half Fiends, Half Fey and various transition classes like Teifling to Half Fiend and Aasimar to Half Celestial. It should be noted that there are no limits or prerequisites to these classes so you could be a Teifling Half Fiend(class) Half Fiend(transition) Half Fiend(template) Half Dragon(draconic) Half Dragon(class) Werewolf Lord(class) without conflict. Of course a reasonable DM would deny that access.

Edit: Dragonwrought Kobold is a Half Dragon(template) Half Dragon(draconic) Half Dragon(class), now 300% more true dragon.