PDA

View Full Version : Tome of Battle

bjoern
2015-02-28, 09:37 PM
Last session I made a list of all the books we had collectively ad a group and I noticed that we didn't have ToB. We have been relying on the PDF.
So I went to amazon to pick it up and its like $60+ for one that's been ran over by a truck.

My heart sank a little, maybe we'll just keep using the PDF.

True believer
2015-02-28, 10:04 PM
I am obsessed for using only books on my table. It may be a expensive "hobbie" , collecting dnd books, but i think that it is worth it. I had the same problem once , i was one short. First i let it past but every time that i was playing it bugged me. I am sure that eventually you will go buy it ;)

Shining Wrath
2015-02-28, 10:21 PM
Used book stores. In Denver, Black and Read.

rrwoods
2015-02-28, 10:26 PM
Keep an eye on ebay. I recently got one at $41.

Seerow
2015-02-28, 10:28 PM
My physical copy of the book got lost years ago, I bought it brand new when it was first released, and had it for less than a year before it got misplaced. It really sucks that now to replace it the price is 2-3x what it was.

jjcrpntr
2015-02-28, 11:31 PM
Damn that's nuts. I'm with True Believer I have a thing about having the books at the table.

I swear the hobby shop had a TOB on the shelf last week here in Memphis.

Kid Jake
2015-03-01, 12:24 AM
I've become of the opposite mind. After, out of nowhere, noticing the sheer amount of cash I've got invested in my books; I've started bringing them to the table less and less to reduce general wear. I like books for personal use and to prop up all pretty-like on a shelf; but prefer PDFs to run games with anymore.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-01, 12:34 AM
Wait, 60 bucks for one in bad condition? I bought mine like 2 months ago for 60 and its "like new" like it still has the Dragon mag subscription form in back and it looks like it was never used. If you actually want the book (totally fine if you dont) go to Amazon and check the other options. Oddly enough you can get Frostburn and the other Regional books for pretty much what they cost when they came out. Just something i found weird

Troacctid
2015-03-01, 12:38 AM
I just looked at Amazon just now and my region has several copies used and in good condition. The cheapest is $60. Yuck. Wouldnt' blame anyone for skipping that purchase.

JW86
2015-03-01, 01:07 AM
Keep an eye on ebay. I recently got one at $41.

This worked for me, won a copy for about £22...

I was lucky.

Keld Denar
2015-03-01, 11:18 AM
I won a copy of City of Stormreach at DDXP, a Living Greyhawk convention a few years ago. I took it to Barnes and Nobles and exchanged it for store credit, which I then used to pick up a shiney new copy of ToB. That was years ago, though.

sideswipe
2015-03-01, 05:50 PM
i would not pdf a copy of a book in print as long as i am playing the game.

though as soon as the company is no longer willing to print the book new i feel fine with pdf's if they still sold them for £20 ish i would buy them. but not from someone else, the creators get none of that money.

Threadnaught
2015-03-01, 09:35 PM
So I went to amazon to pick it up and its like $60+ for one that's been ran over by a truck.

Ha yeah, price cap is there to keep each new book from being too expensive. My own ToB in amazing condition, was £5 over the limit. Amusingly I found MoI in the same condition and a slightly water damaged ToB in a nearby gaming shop, both £10 each. I got ToB for that ******* Druid, so he'd be able to get by without me constantly looking through the book and repeating myself. He was rather vocal about that damage, but all the pages are there.
On Amazon and Ebay, I've constantly seen it at £60 buy it now, that's close to $100.
I was rather annoyed at that ******* Druid, for getting a cheaper copy, but the damage took some of the sting out of it. Also, I effectively bought both, so his had better be cheap.

@Blackhawk748: Is that the page near the back with the other D&D books available for order, or some insert I didn't get?

Blackhawk748
2015-03-01, 09:43 PM
@Blackhawk748: Is that the page near the back with the other D&D books available for order, or some insert I didn't get?

Its an insert, i was remembering wrong what it was but my location books have these nice little terrain maps in back, kinda surprised they were both there.