PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder making characters for a new game

Elfkin_King
2015-03-01, 12:51 AM
I want to make a Magus and a Druid to choose from, and I've never used traits before, or point buy. But it's a 25 point buy game.
Can someone help me with the level ones of these characters?

For the Magus, I was thinking of having him either be A) an Eldritch Scion, B) A Kensei, C) Greensting Slayer
Either way, I wanted to be Bladebound, but I think I'll leave that bit up to the DM whether or not I can do that.

As for the Druid... I have no idea how to make an effective druid. O.O

It's just level 1, so we don't need to get too far into it.

Secret Wizard
2015-03-01, 01:40 AM
1. Is this for beginners or is this for advanced players? Depending on level of complexity, I'd recommend other things for Magus/Druid.

2. Druids can be built effectively in many ways, they are one of the most versatile classes out there. Spellcaster, blaster, buffer, combat maneuver-focused, Vital Striker, flanker... all possible options!

3. I would stay away from Greensting and Eldritch Scion. I like Kensai because it feels like an Int-based martial and doesn't place that much focus to casting, but you need to use it well.

4. You didn't mention race either.

Anyway, here are ideas:

Kensai
18, 14, 12, 15, 8, 7 -- you want your STR at 18 as soon as possible, and you need 16 INT, but you can put the points for that later.
Traits: Reactionary, Magical Lineage (Shocking Grasp)
Feats you want: Improved Initiative, Toughness, Dodge, Power Attack, Weapon Focus, Elemental Spell, Intensified Spell, etc.
You can go the Weapon Finesse route using Aldori Dueling Sword and Slashing Grace, but you don't get the most out of Enlarge Person... anyway, if you want that, your stats should be: 10,18,14,15,8,8.

Blaster Druid (Storm Druid archetype)
10, 14, 15, 10, 18, 7
Traits: Focused Mind, Reactionary
Feats you want: Improved Initiative, Elemental Spell, Maximized Spell, Toughness, Elemental Focus, Greater Elemental Focus, Spell Focus, Greater Spell Focus
Take all the lightning spells, take the Cloud Domain (and then the Air Domain for more blasts), turn into an elemental to fly and dodge shots.

Elfkin_King
2015-03-01, 11:02 AM
1. Is this for beginners or is this for advanced players? Depending on level of complexity, I'd recommend other things for Magus/Druid.

2. Druids can be built effectively in many ways, they are one of the most versatile classes out there. Spellcaster, blaster, buffer, combat maneuver-focused, Vital Striker, flanker... all possible options!

3. I would stay away from Greensting and Eldritch Scion. I like Kensai because it feels like an Int-based martial and doesn't place that much focus to casting, but you need to use it well.

4. You didn't mention race either.

Anyway, here are ideas:

Kensai
18, 14, 12, 15, 8, 7 -- you want your STR at 18 as soon as possible, and you need 16 INT, but you can put the points for that later.
Traits: Reactionary, Magical Lineage (Shocking Grasp)
Feats you want: Improved Initiative, Toughness, Dodge, Power Attack, Weapon Focus, Elemental Spell, Intensified Spell, etc.
You can go the Weapon Finesse route using Aldori Dueling Sword and Slashing Grace, but you don't get the most out of Enlarge Person... anyway, if you want that, your stats should be: 10,18,14,15,8,8.

Blaster Druid (Storm Druid archetype)
10, 14, 15, 10, 18, 7
Traits: Focused Mind, Reactionary
Feats you want: Improved Initiative, Elemental Spell, Maximized Spell, Toughness, Elemental Focus, Greater Elemental Focus, Spell Focus, Greater Spell Focus
Take all the lightning spells, take the Cloud Domain (and then the Air Domain for more blasts), turn into an elemental to fly and dodge shots.

I was thinking for the Magus to go Kensai anyway. As an Elf, because they don't get their Medium and Heavy armor proficiencies anyway, might as well make him a Dex build. So Str would, more or less, be a Dump stat, as well as Cha. Wis and Con would be Secondary/Tertiary (depending on if my DM will allow him to be Bladebound, which wouldn't matter until level 4 anyway, so I'm gonna ask him today). So his main focus for stats should be Dex>Int>Con>Wis>Cha>Str

I'm not going for PURE Optimization, I just want him to be functional.
So far I have him set up for:
10 [18 14 15] 8 8 (as an Elf, so boxed becomes [20 12 17]) As a Kensai Elf.

The Druid will have to wait until I get there.

Secret Wizard
2015-03-01, 11:15 AM
I would seriously consider putting a 17 on DEX and a 7 on CHA to get 16 base CON... you are gonna hurt a lot otherwise.

(PS: Also, Dex builds are fine but I still think they are inferior to the Str build unless you are planning to start at a higher level with items)

Elfkin_King
2015-03-02, 02:23 PM
I'll see what I can do about my stats. But I may be gaining a Black Blade as well. It'll be up to the DM, and he said he'd let me know at level 4, when it becomes relevant.

I'm used to playing dex builds, so I know how to keep them alive. The I'm trying to stay away from being MAD with point-buy. If I were rolling dice for stats I'd be less likely to care, since I get really lucky with my rolls usually, rarely with anything lower than 14. But I've got this Magus all planned out.

I'd like to hear more about that Druid, though. Just in case my magus gets knixed before he becomes a force to be reckoned with.

That Storm Druid looks terrifying and fun. That's actually pretty close to what I would imagine a storm druid to be like, and it's brilliant. :)