PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Question about Iron Heart Surge and Ending effects given by Gods

sage20500
2015-03-01, 01:45 AM
So in a campaign that my character is currently in, I managed to accidentally acquire a "blessing" of Tharazdun. Which while its giving me some interesting character abilities, is also causing me to constantly role will saves, especially after every day of adventuring when I need to make a will save to try and suppress letting something come out of me, and after the one time I tried using one of the abilities I received a warp point that I now need to keep track of. Since this blessing was granted through an item that my character consumed, and it seems to be a permanent effect that break enchantment can't end. I know that I'll probably have to at some point grab a lesser miracle to get rid of this, but in case I'm able to gain access to iron heart surge before then... can Iron Heart Surge break an effect like this?

Doctor Awkward
2015-03-01, 01:58 AM
So in a campaign that my character is currently in, I managed to accidentally acquire a "blessing" of Tharazdun. Which while its giving me some interesting character abilities, is also causing me to constantly role will saves, especially after every day of adventuring when I need to make a will save to try and suppress letting something come out of me, and after the one time I tried using one of the abilities I received a warp point that I now need to keep track of. Since this blessing was granted through an item that my character consumed, and it seems to be a permanent effect that break enchantment can't end. I know that I'll probably have to at some point grab a lesser miracle to get rid of this, but in case I'm able to gain access to iron heart surge before then... can Iron Heart Surge break an effect like this?

I've read a ton of back and forth about that ability. A strict RAW, it's capable of overcoming every single affect in the game, even things with a permanent duration. I've also seen people claim it can't overcome the nauseated condition because you are unable to take the standard action to initiate the maneuver, and therefore it can't overcome anything that prevents you from taking actions.

My personal opinion? The intent was clearly conceived while looking at this junk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm), and anything on that list is fair game. Anything beyond that is asking permission.

The bottom line is: Ask your DM. If you don't want to because you think he'll say no, then the only advice I have left is, "Tough noogies, he's the DM."

Karl Aegis
2015-03-01, 02:01 AM
Is the duration of the effect measured in rounds? If it isn't, then no.

JW86
2015-03-01, 02:02 AM
Others will chime in with the rule specifics.

To me, this sounds like something to discuss with your DM.

The agreement I have with my DM is if the effect is something a bit beyond what we believe the basic "conditions" to include (nauseated, fatigued etc.) then I roll a D30 "Luck Dice". If I score high, I get to do more heroic things with my Iron Heart Surge (e.g. explode a Force Cage on a natural 30), but with lower rolls it will be nothing beyond the basics.

An absolute houserule, I know, but a good compromise both me and my DM enjoy to resolve the "Would IHS work on..?" situation

Arbane
2015-03-01, 03:56 AM
Is the duration of the effect measured in rounds? If it isn't, then no.

Is an hour "one round or more"?

Chronos
2015-03-01, 04:28 PM
It will work if your DM wants it to, and won't if he doesn't want it to. Yes, this is sort of a cop-out answer, and applies to absolutely everything in D&D, but it seems especially relevant here, because it really looks like your DM won't want it to. If Break Enchantment won't work, that's probably a sign that nothing will.

Telonius
2015-03-02, 03:44 AM
Deities (and anybody else in high epic levels) are already playing a less-organized form of Calvinball with reality. Iron Heart Surge is one of the most notoriously vague (and poorly-edited) abilities in Tome of Battle. Put those two together, and it's up to the DM to sort it out.

atemu1234
2015-03-02, 07:16 AM
Deities (and anybody else in high epic levels) are already playing a less-organized form of Calvinball with reality. Iron Heart Surge is one of the most notoriously vague (and poorly-edited) abilities in Tome of Battle. Put those two together, and it's up to the DM to sort it out.

Basically. Ask your DM.