PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent someone from looting/destroying your secret chest?

RoboEmperor
2015-03-01, 08:34 AM
If your secret chest is lost "forever", you can find it by mounting an expedition on the ethereal plane, but that means someone in the ethereal plane can find your chest and loot it!

This is especially problematic if your enemy knows you have a secret chest and uses discern location to find it and casts disintegrate on it. So... how do you protect it?

edit:changed locate object to discern location.

BowStreetRunner
2015-03-01, 08:51 AM
A Sequester spell would certainly do the trick, but at 7th level may or may not be available to you (as all I know is your character can cast 5th level Secret Chest). Also, with a day/level duration this would require you to refresh both spells more frequently.

RoboEmperor
2015-03-01, 09:16 AM
A Sequester spell would certainly do the trick, but at 7th level may or may not be available to you (as all I know is your character can cast 5th level Secret Chest). Also, with a day/level duration this would require you to refresh both spells more frequently.

Sequester is great! It still leaves the problem of discern location though. Maybe I'm overreacting. The opponent has to touch it at least once, and it seems like he/she gets the exact location's name rather than knowing where it is.

My DM said "Prepare to defend your secret chest!" at the end of my last session so I'm getting panicky XD.

Jack_Simth
2015-03-01, 09:38 AM
Sequester is great! It still leaves the problem of discern location though. Maybe I'm overreacting. The opponent has to touch it at least once, and it seems like he/she gets the exact location's name rather than knowing where it is.

My DM said "Prepare to defend your secret chest!" at the end of my last session so I'm getting panicky XD.

You actually took Secret Chest as a spell known? I'm confused. The focus and the replica, between the two, cost you 5,050 gp. At 20th, you get 20 cubic feet. A type I bag of holding (the cheapest) has a market price of 2,500 gp and holds 30 cubic feet. Half the cost, half again the volume. OK, yes, there's no weight limit and you don't have the pesky puncture problem, you just have several others (theft of focus, other people finding it on the ethereal, the time limit for getting it back, and the spell slot each time you want to put it away).

RoboEmperor
2015-03-01, 10:43 AM

You actually took Secret Chest as a spell known? I'm confused. The focus and the replica, between the two, cost you 5,050 gp. At 20th, you get 20 cubic feet. A type I bag of holding (the cheapest) has a market price of 2,500 gp and holds 30 cubic feet. Half the cost, half again the volume. OK, yes, there's no weight limit and you don't have the pesky puncture problem, you just have several others (theft of focus, other people finding it on the ethereal, the time limit for getting it back, and the spell slot each time you want to put it away).

I actually made it my spell-like ability with a level of archmage. This campaign is heavy spell-book-screw so it was my genius idea to make a secret chest that didn't need a focus. I carry all of my loot in it, spellbook included. Can't be stolen, ever, til now that is.

I countered the "lose forever" part by having an undead monkey live inside the chest, and me having spell mastery greater scrying and teleport. This is what I do if I do lose it.
1: Make a new chest
2: Go inside it
3: Cast secret chest until it succeeds.
4: Once in the ethereal plane, open the chest so I can breathe
5: Scry my zombie monkey, make a note of the location
6: Teleport to that location

It's actually pretty awesome. I escaped captivity with this trick. I will my chest to me when I'm alone, get my monkey to open the chest, go inside it, then secret chest to freedom! Only 1 try per day though, only 25% chance of success with me inside it, and I only got 2 castings, so 1 try, 1 to hide the chest if fail.

Jack_Simth
2015-03-01, 02:06 PM
Ah.

Well, the spell calls out several things you can do: Locks and wards. Coating the chest in lead is a simple and straightforward way to block everything short of Discern Location (of course, it also blocks your scrying on the monkey - get Discern Location post-haste, or maybe just arrange for a permanent Telepathic Bond so it can look out the keyhole and describe stuff to you sufficient for Greater Teleport). Oh, wait: Skeletons can't talk. Hmm. Undead familiar?

Invisibility can be made Permanent with respect to objects - try that (including on the critter prior to animating it).

There's lots of spells for warding something - the entire Symbol of line, Fire Trap, Sepia Snake Sigil (write a riddle on the outside), and others. With a bit of work and help from a friend or two, you could even set it so that the chest goes to a specific location when someone not on a short list opens it up (get your Cleric buddy to get a Greater Spell Glyph of Warding on it, charged with Word of Recall).