PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Alternate Knowledge Domain

Strill
2015-03-01, 12:43 PM
The PHB's Knowledge domain has a secondary theme of mind-control, which I don't think is appropriate for all knowledge clerics. Therefore, I've come up with an alternate take on the Knowledge domain, which leans more strictly to spells that gather information.

I will only be listing class features I've changed.

Domain Spells:

1st: Detect Magic, Identify
3rd: Augury, Detect Thoughts
5th: Sending, Speak With Dead
7th: Arcane Eye, Divination
9th: Commune, Scrying

Channel Divinity: Remote Viewing
At 6th level, you can use your Channel Divinity to see or hear things in places you are not physically present.

As an action, you may use your Channel Divinity to cast the Clairvoyance spell without using a spell slot. The spell lasts a number of rounds equal to half your cleric level rounded down.

Gritmonger
2015-03-01, 01:32 PM
The PHB's Knowledge domain has a secondary theme of mind-control, which I don't think is appropriate for all knowledge clerics. Therefore, I've come up with an alternate take on the Knowledge domain, which leans more strictly to spells that gather information.

I will only be listing class features I've changed.

Domain Spells:

1st: Detect Magic, Identify
3rd: Augury, Detect Thoughts
5th: Sending, Speak With Dead
7th: Arcane Eye, Divination
9th: Legend Lore, Scrying

Channel Divinity: Remote Viewing
At 6th level, you can use your Channel Divinity to see or hear things in places you are not physically present.

As an action, you may use your Channel Divinity to cast the Clairvoyance spell without using a spell slot. The spell lasts a number of rounds equal to half your cleric level rounded down.

I agree this is more thematically correct, but I wonder if the PHB version was made with adventuring in mind i.e. would a player be more or less likely to pick Knowledge if it meant fewer "offensive" spells?

Strill
2015-03-01, 01:43 PM
You're probably right. I just personally wanted to play a knowledge cleric who was good at scrying, and not one who was good at Jedi mind tricks. So I came up with this alternative.

There was also the fact that the Confusion spell ran against the ethos of my cleric's god.

Strill
2015-03-07, 01:04 PM
Replaced Legend Lore with Commune. They both fit the theme, but it's pointless to have Legend Lore prepared all the time, whereas having Commune prepared lets you use it every day.