PDA

View Full Version : Player Help BM Ranger AFB

GutterFace
2015-03-01, 01:14 PM
So my books are out on loan and i had some weird ideas in my head and need some checks to make sure im not doing anything crazy.
These were mostly for a friend but im interested in clearing things up as well...

1) the dodge action, does it require using an action (or bonus action)?

2) can two creatures not grappling occupy the same space without incident? are their size restrictions to this? can a BM Ranger and his Giant Centipede friend occupy the same space and move together?

3) if the above is true, does this count as advantage on attacks since both are adjacent to 1 enemy?

4) if you are hiding and use a verbal option to direct an attack of our pet, are you now no longer count as being hidden?

thank you.

Shining Wrath
2015-03-01, 02:18 PM
Dodge is an action.

Two creatures not grappling do not occupy the same space if they are Small or larger. Tiny, it can work.

This sounds like a DM question but if two tiny creatures were in the same square I'd grant them the ability to Help and so on.

Rules for Hide state that if you "shout a warning" or "knock over a vase" you are no longer hidden. I'd say speaking loudly enough that your friend can hear is also loud enough that your enemy can hear. BUT ... to reward clever play, if your animal companion is something known for acute hearing, you might be able to whisper to them and not be heard by a normal enemy. Don't try this if the enemy is a dragon ...

GutterFace
2015-03-01, 02:26 PM
thank you for the assist!

but if i was a gnome or something i could ride a Giant Wolf Spider right?

Shining Wrath
2015-03-01, 10:16 PM
Rules for mounts are one size larger and suitable anatomy. I think I'd allow it.

Maxilian
2015-03-02, 09:47 AM
So my books are out on loan and i had some weird ideas in my head and need some checks to make sure im not doing anything crazy.
These were mostly for a friend but im interested in clearing things up as well...

1) the dodge action, does it require using an action (or bonus action)?

2) can two creatures not grappling occupy the same space without incident? are their size restrictions to this? can a BM Ranger and his Giant Centipede friend occupy the same space and move together?

3) if the above is true, does this count as advantage on attacks since both are adjacent to 1 enemy?

4) if you are hiding and use a verbal option to direct an attack of our pet, are you now no longer count as being hidden?

thank you.

1) an action (unless you're a monk, you could use 1 ki point to use it as a bonus action)

2) No, unless there's a size difference

3) Yes

4) depends, it depends a lot on the enemy and the distance of your companion, if your companion is near your hiding spot, then you could still make a command without having the enemy hear you (or just teach your pet some sing language or special codes -maybe X sounds means attack, while Y sound means run- )

thank you for the assist!

but if i was a gnome or something i could ride a Giant Wolf Spider right?

Yes, as Shinning Wrath said, sadly these means that the only one that can take advantage of mounting their own companion are small races (you could still have your pet pull a carriage and you can be a roman warrior)

GutterFace
2015-03-02, 10:38 AM
do i need a special saddle to ride the spider upside down?

Sullivan
2015-03-02, 11:32 AM
I like where this is going

Shining Wrath
2015-03-02, 08:25 PM
do i need a special saddle to ride the spider upside down?

Yes ... one made of spider silk sounds like it ought to work. I wonder where you might get some?

GutterFace
2015-03-02, 10:16 PM
Ha Ha my DM is a bit more practical than that. if i pay 5g extra for a modified saddle he will let it slide.
also knowing him if im webbed to my mount and things go bad im stuck lol

unwise
2015-03-03, 12:21 AM
I'd be happy to have a gnome ride a giant spider, but it would largely get rid of the spiders climb speed. I don't see anything short of a large-sized spider being able to walk on a ceiling with anything on its back.

Shining Wrath
2015-03-04, 10:48 AM
I'd be happy to have a gnome ride a giant spider, but it would largely get rid of the spiders climb speed. I don't see anything short of a large-sized spider being able to walk on a ceiling with anything on its back.

Sounds like a Wolf Spider carrying a gnome ought to be making Athletics checks to climb. Not too difficult as gnomes are not the biggest folk.

DireSickFish
2015-03-04, 10:54 AM

You don't get advantage on attacks just for being adjacent to the same enemy. Otherwise the barbarian wolf totem would do nothing. One of you could use the help action to give the other advantage on ONE attack however.