PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Necromancer help?

Namedoesntfi
2015-03-01, 01:34 PM
So I'm going to preface this with a few things: 1 - Yes, I know arcane necromancers suck. A lot. I play one and get to watch the party cleric do everything I can do, but better. 2 - Clerics are better necromancers than necromancers, I know that too - see 1. 3 - Divination is not supposed to be on a wizard's banned schools list if they specialize. I did not know this before I created my character, and none of the other players or the DM caught my mistake and now we're too far in to retcon it.

I had no idea what I was doing when I first created my character (as you can see by taking div as a banned school...) but I'm stuck with my mistakes. I'm not going to cycle characters until I get an OP one I like, because where's the challenge in that? I play a necromancer-focus wizard 9/pale master 1 at the moment and I stupidly took divination and conjuration as my banned schools, and I'm beginning to realize and feel how much these choices are biting me in the rear. I was looking into finding a way to gain desecrate, because (suprise!) wizards don't have access to it. One thread suggested using planar binding to get around that by getting a hold of a creature that can cast it - but it's conjuration (D'oh...). On top of that, I was looking at places to hide a phylactery and the spell that summons a mansion only the wizard or those designated by that wizard can enter seemed too good to be true, and it's also conjuration. Others say there are ways around banned schools/inaccessible spells using feats, but they don't describe how. I could normally just ask the party cleric for help, but that would be out of character in this case - my wizard respects her, but is too proud to ask for help for something as simple as desecration. If anyone has any tips, I'd be greatly appreciative.

TL; DR Too stubborn to forcibly change classes by dying, need to find a way to desecrate and/or cast spells from the conjuration school despite it being on my banned schools list.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-03-01, 01:57 PM
A Ring of Desecration (https://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20021031x) (lesser or greater) solves that particular problem for you. Alternatively, take the feat Arcane Disciple from Complete Divine for the Evil domain, which enables you to learn and cast spells from that domain. You can only cast one domain spell per spell level per day, so if you want to use Desecrate more often than 1/day you'll need to use higher level spell slots.

Arcane Disciple can also help solve your conjuration problem to some extent. A Belt of the Wide Earth in MIC can enable you to cast Teleport, if needed.

There's more to necromancy than just creating undead. Command Undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/commandUndead.htm) is unbelievably powerful when used against mindless undead, especially if you use it with a Lesser Metamagic Rod of Chain Spell in Complete Arcane. It has one of the most potent offensive spells in Enervation, especially if you stack it with metamagic like Split Ray, Twin Spell, etc. and be sure to include Arcane Thesis in Player's Handbook II. Speaking of that book, PH2 Chapter 8 contains rules for rebuilding your character, from changing feats and skill points to swapping around class levels, school specializations/banned schools, domains, and even race. Changing feats and skills is as easy as hiring an NPC Psion to use Psychic Reformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicReformation.htm) on you, the standard rate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell) should be 280gp plus 125gp per level reformed plus 25xp per level reformed.

Tatsel_Ganav
2015-03-01, 02:14 PM
Regarding desecrate, another way is to use good old-fashioned research to find a shrine to Nerull that has a desecrated altar, and go freaking steal it. Put it in your bag of holding. The ring works too. If you can get a single casting of Desecrate on a scroll, use it to make a Spell-Stitched undead friend. Also - DO remember that your second level of Pale Master's spell-like animate dead, does not require any material component! No onyx needed!

Arcane Thesis: Enervation is absolutely amazing, too. Get a Slaymate (tis a monster), and Arcane Thesis, and EVERY metamagic feat applied is reduced by 2 spell levels. Empowered, Maximized Enervation, at level 5. Twin that to level 7, for 12 negative levels.

The clerics have better undead army management, yes they do, and better versatility with their necromancy, but you can be a master in your specialized field. Look up the Uttercold Assault Necromancer for one such example. My preference was more towards God play-style. You are just now coming into some of the real necromantic gems. I'll just quote treantmonk, because he said it best.

Spiritwall (SpC): (Triple threat Blast/BC/Debuff) :smallbiggrin: Cast a dome around your enemies and have them make a will save or flee for 1d4 rounds (through the wall) – then they will take 1d10 damage and Fort save or take a negative level. The wall cannot be seen through – provides cover, and blocks line of effect. You can also have the dome around yourself (and allies) and have the affect focused outwards – or you can just make a wall and have the affect focused out the side of your choice. Versatile, triple threat, oh yeah...

Magic Jar (PHB): (Umm...save or die?) :smallbiggrin: Cast this spell and put your soul into a gem, then as a full round action, possess one of your foes (Will save negates) and have him attack his buddies. Then when your host dies, do it again, and again – you get the picture. One possible scenario is you cast the spell early – have your familiar sneak the gem into the middle of a horde of baddies and slaughter them all without them understanding what is happening. Yes – this is a good spell.

Channelled Lifetheft (CM): (Double Threat Blast/Debuff) :smallbiggrin: I like the “Channelled” spells, and this one is particularly nice. The highlights are this: As a swift action you can fatigue a foe in Close range, as well as grant yourself 5 temporary HP with no save. As a Full Round action you can exhaust the foe, do 5d4 damage, and grant yourself temporary HP equal to 10 + damage dealt. Ranged debuffs with no save or to hit roll are wonderful, especially if you add versatility of casting time.

Wrack, from the Spell Compendium, is a level 4 spell.. very nice necromancy. I am assuming you have Spell Focus: necromancy and probably Greater Spell Focus: necromancy. As an arcane necromancer, you are much better at offensive necromancy and can do it all while commanding the battlefield with style.

ShurikVch
2015-03-01, 02:53 PM
For gaining Desecrate, I suggest to take Arcane Disciple feat (CDiv), and select Evil or Undeath domain - any of those have that spell at 2nd level, so you will need Wis 12 to cast it

I personally recommend Undeath, because in the Libris Mortis there is deity with this domain - Afflux. He also have exclusive domain Deathbound, which power expand your control of animated undead up to your caster level x3 (instead usual x2). You may gain this power instead one of your Wizard bonus feats (ACF from Complete Champion)

And to regain banned school, there is feat chain in Lost Empires of Faerűn. You take them at 1st, 5th, and 10th levels. First one give you only one spell "from a prohibited school", second one allow to use trigger/completion magic items "from a prohibited school", and third one give you school back altogether

Chester
2015-03-01, 04:25 PM
Have you read K's Necromancer Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5584) yet?

Namedoesntfi
2015-03-01, 07:29 PM
For gaining Desecrate, I suggest to take Arcane Disciple feat (CDiv), and select Evil or Undeath domain - any of those have that spell at 2nd level, so you will need Wis 12 to cast it

I personally recommend Undeath, because in the Libris Mortis there is deity with this domain - Afflux. He also have exclusive domain Deathbound, which power expand your control of animated undead up to your caster level x3 (instead usual x2). You may gain this power instead one of your Wizard bonus feats (ACF from Complete Champion)

And to regain banned school, there is feat chain in Lost Empires of Faerűn. You take them at 1st, 5th, and 10th levels. First one give you only one spell "from a prohibited school", second one allow to use trigger/completion magic items "from a prohibited school", and third one give you school back altogether

So I have one other question now, does the Arcane Disciple feat's alignment have to match verbatim (CE vs. CE for Afflux) or can any evil match any evil? I'm liking the look of the 3x control even though I already took greater control undead, more bodies I guess. As for the feat chain, that one is probably out of the question - my DM is fairly new (I believe), and he's already juggling a few of the necromancy books to help my character not suck. I wouldn't feel right asking him to have to manage even more, I'll probably only consider it if all else fails.

ShurikVch
2015-03-02, 04:03 AM
So I have one other question now, does the Arcane Disciple feat's alignment have to match verbatim (CE vs. CE for Afflux) or can any evil match any evil?Arcane Disciple required "alignment matches your deity’s alignment". Afflux is Neutral Evil