PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Tattoo Potion - Any Good Options?

Woden
2015-03-01, 04:58 PM
I've been looking at Tattoo Potion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/tattoo-potion) recently for my alchemist. I turned up my nose at TP a while back because of its high cost and seemingly low utility, despite the inherent niftiness of a permanent emergency-backup potion. Now I'm considering it again for my high-level party (the majority of us are level 20) because it's relatively far cheaper, but I can't seem to put my finger on any potions that would actually be worth making a tattoo of.

I'm operating under the assumption that the interaction between Tattoo Potion and Alchemical Allocation (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/alchemical-allocation) will let me pay for TP once and tattoo that potion on multiple people. The party has a fighter, a couple of rogues, a couple of arcane casters, a paladin and a slayer, so ideally, I'm looking for potions that would be useful to more than one of them (but I'll gladly take anything I can get).

I feel like there's got to be something I'm missing, and hopefully somebody here knows what it is. : D

Kurald Galain
2015-03-01, 06:31 PM
I looked into this recently for a character, and I'm afraid the best I could come up with was Cure Light Wounds.

See, I'm not going to use this on an effect I intend to use frequently (e.g. enlarge person), and I can't use it on tactical standby spells like obscuring mist, and I'm unlikely to need it on rare fallbacks like antiplague. That doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room.

Woden
2015-03-02, 02:59 AM
Yeah, that's about where I wound up too. Cure Serious Wounds (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/cure-serious-wounds) was the best option I found (potions can go up to level 3, so CLW isn't the maximum, thankfully).

With Alchemical Allocation, a Tattoo Potion could be used on up to 10 people. 1125 GP for a 15th-level Cure Serious potion, plus 500 GP for Tattoo Potion equals 1625 GP for an emergency heal for an entire party, which I guess isn't terrible. Still seems underwhelming, though.

Psyren
2015-03-02, 05:19 AM
Gaseous Form gets you out of grapples, restraints, arrow slits, cracks in the wall/door etc. Something like that would be handy to have tattooed on you.

Woden
2015-03-02, 06:25 AM
Oh hey, good point. That could indeed be useful as an emergency spell.

Kurald Galain
2015-03-02, 06:29 AM
Gaseous Form gets you out of grapples, restraints, arrow slits, cracks in the wall/door etc. Something like that would be handy to have tattooed on you.

Good idea, but expensive enough that I would prefer using a potion (at half the price). You can still use potions in a grapple, yes?

sideswipe
2015-03-02, 06:41 AM
Good idea, but expensive enough that I would prefer using a potion (at half the price). You can still use potions in a grapple, yes?

as long as its in hand already i believe

Psyren
2015-03-02, 11:05 AM

You can do anything that takes one hand to perform. A tattoo potion is actually superior to a regular potion, because you don't have to retrieve it - just tap it, and away you go, slipping quite literally through your enemy's fingers. And even if they AoO you, they can't target the bottle (because there is none) to shatter it.

felinoel
2015-03-02, 12:23 PM
I currently have a cure moderate on my alchemist, but yeah I can see gaseous form as being better since I have had it for about 5 levels now and not used it once because it takes a standard action to cast still... /: