PDA

View Full Version : Another [game] from me

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-08, 01:12 PM
Yes, I made another game. This ones more of a 'party' game.

Deathmatch

Deathmatch is a simple game designed to capture the frantic and fast moving action of a First Person Shooter. It is played on a squared grid, preferably with miniatures, but it will work with counters.
It is designed for large numbers of players, with each player controlling a single figure, but other play modes are possible.

*Fire Chips
Fire Chips are a marker used to denote a player’s number of shooting actions left this turn. In general, players receive one at the end of each turn, but different weapons or abilities may affect this. You can use anything for these, such as poker chips, pieces of paper or just rocks.

*Initiative Cards
Most of the time, the easiest way to determine which order people move in is to have a card for each person, shuffle them, then draw them one at a time. Other methods are just as good, but this is the assumed one for these rules

*Movement Sequence
Turn over the top initiative card. This player now declares if he will change weapons, then moves up to 4 squares. Repeat until everyone has moved.

*Firing
A player can fire at ANY TIME. Even during other people’s turns. This means a player can interrupt movement, fire back at people firing at them etc. To fire, a player must have a Firing Chip to expend. When a player fires, he expends his Firing Chip for the turn, and puts it back where it came from. He then expends one ammo counter for the weapon he is using. If he has no ammo for the weapon, he can’t fire it. He then rolls the correct type of dice for his weapon, subtracts of adds any modifiers, and then deals the remainder in damage to his target. Firing is considered to take place simultaneously if it matters for some reason.

*Armour and Health
A player starts the game with 10 Armour and 10 Health. When he takes damage, he reduces his Armour by that amount. If he has no armour left, the remainder of the damage is dealt to his Health. If he has no health left, he dies. Armour pickups increase armour; Health pickups increase Health, surprisingly.

*Jumping and stuff
A player can jump gaps of up to 2 squares as part of his movement. Any more and he falls all the way to the bottom of whatever he was trying to jump (depending on the setup this could mean dying, or just taking damage. A good guideline is one damage per square of fall).
A player can decide he is going to crouch before he starts his movement. If he does, he can only move 2 squares this turn and cannot jump, but players trying to fire at him subtract 1 from their rolls.

*Weapons
The weapons presented below are generic and universal. If you are emulating a specific game, you should convert that games weapons and use them instead.

*Pistol
Range: 10 squares
Dice: 1d4-2
Ammo: 3 shots per clip
Pickup: Pistol and 2 clips
Special: If you have two pistols, you may fire them both at the same time, rolling 1d8-4 instead of 1d4-2

*Assault Rifle
Range: 15 squares
Dice: 1d6-2
Ammo: 5 shots per clip
Pickup: Weapon and 3 clips

*Heavy Machine Gun
Range: 20 Squares
Dice: 1d10-4
Ammo: 6 shots per clip
Pickup: Weapon and 1 clip
Special: A player using this weapon receives two fire chips at the end of each turn, rather than one. However, if he switches to a different weapon, the extra chip is lost.

*Flamethrower
Range: 6 squares
Dice: 1d8
Ammo: 4 shots per clip
Pickup: Weapon and 1 clip
Special: When you fire a flamethrower, rather than simply firing at one target, the flamethrower shoots a line of flame 6 squares in any direction, dealing d8 damage to ALL players touched by the line.

*Grenades
Dice: 1d6
Ammo: 1 per grenade. Duh
Pickup: 1 grenade
Special: You do not need line of sight to throw a grenade at someone, but there must be a path for the grenade.
A grenade deals damage to everyone within 2 squares of the target.

*Rocket Launcher
Range: LOS
Dice: 1d10
Ammo: 1 shot per rocket
Pickup: 1 weapon, 2 rockets
Special: The rocket launcher deals damage to everyone within 2 squares of the target

*Sniper Rifle
Range: LOS
Dice: 2d12
Ammo: 3 shots per clip
Pickup: Weapon, 1 clip
Special: You cannot fire the sniper rifle if you have not had your move yet, if you have moved this turn, or if you are not crouching.

*Shotgun
Ammo: 4 shots per clip
Pickup: Weapon, 2 clips
Special: Within 4 squares, the shotgun deals an extra d6 damage

*Claymore
Range: 2 squares
Ammo: 1 per claymore
Pickup: 1 claymore
Special: Is placed by player as weapon, but does not detonate until activated (as firing weapon, but claymores need not be current weapon). Alternatively, may be set to proximity detonate, in which case it goes off as soon as someone moves within blast radius, and is within LOS of claymore.
When a claymore detonates, it deals damage to everyone within 2 square.

*Rifle Butt/Fist/Pistol Whip etc
Range: 1 square
Ammo: Unlimited
Pickup: N/A
Special: You can use this weapon even if you do not have it selected.

It has yet to be playtested, but I hope its got quick, furious play, similar to the FPSes it emulates. I think I came up with a good way of modelling the 'real time' aspect whislt keeping the turn based aspects of a board game.

I intend to do add-ons for allthe FPSes I own, plus some new rules for vehicles and such. Solo play is probably possible.

So, thoughts?

martyboy74
2007-04-08, 08:01 PM
What's the board's size, shape, and terrain? Is it decided by the players at the time of play? Are initiative cards drawn every turn, or just the first one? Shouldn't double pistols be 2d4-8, or is that attempting to account for decreased accuracy? Is there a "to hit" roll? Who goes first?

Inyssius Tor
2007-04-08, 10:23 PM
Shouldn't double pistols be 2d4-8?

I think a weapon that can only deal negative damage might be a bad idea...

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-09, 04:20 AM
What's the board's size, shape, and terrain? Is it decided by the players at the time of play? Are initiative cards drawn every turn, or just the first one? Shouldn't double pistols be 2d4-8, or is that attempting to account for decreased accuracy? Is there a "to hit" roll? Who goes first?

The to 'hit roll' is accounted for in the firing roll. If you rolled 0 damage, you missed.

And yes, all that stuff is determined at time of play. I'll have a sample game up later today.

You draw initiative cards each turn.

What ^ said.

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-09, 07:55 AM
Red vs Blue

Teams
Red team, Blue team, each with 4 members.

Map
Any, as long as it has two clearly defined 'bases'. Each base should have a flag of the appropriate colour in it.

Pickups
Place 10 pickup markers around the map. Whenever a player walks over one of these markers, they pick up the weapon contained therein. Determine what weapons are contained in pickups at the beginning of the game by rolling on this chart:

<insert chart>
Once a pickup has been collected, it cannot be picked up again for 2 turns.

Win condition
For a team to win, one of its members must capture the enemy flag (by walking over the square containing it), then return it to their flag (once again, by walking over it), which must be in its starting position for the team to score. If a player carrying a flag is killed, he drops it where he died, where it can be picked up by anyone else, either to return it to their base or to continue taking it to their base. This is the only way to pass the flag on.

Respawning
At the beginning of the game, place 3 respawn points within each base. When a player dies, they respawn 2 turns later at a random respawn point, before initiative cards are drawn.

Thats what a game might look like.

martyboy74
2007-04-09, 03:40 PM

I think a weapon that can only deal negative damage might be a bad idea...

Whoops, I meant 2d4-4. My bad. :smallredface: