PDA

View Full Version : Dreamscarred Press Announces - The Seventh Path

drafghast
2015-03-01, 06:29 PM
Heya folks! My name is Doug Haworth, and I've been designing a bunch of cool new stuff for the Seventh Path project - and I felt it was time to share with you.
Take a look, leave some notes, give it a try at your table, and I know you'll love it! :D

Archetypes (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YiDq336gHQVJ1oaCt71UmvrbF29TVpBABi4osxfDWwk/edit?usp=sharing)

Critters (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ijgs6m8pkRZzCKSFjjpus8dM96A2GVbvwkciCGr9yvg/edit?usp=sharing)

Feats (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dITj9VUV3UwUxhUhQ5COf3SkvYJVGfUdkVkODwQpUsY/edit?usp=sharing)

Powers (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_DKnAARY4I9Q16jCacwm2X-KVmnKObs6J_FBIgZrOc8/edit?usp=sharing)

and Prestige Classes (https://docs.google.com/document/d/17od1VarVSDhL409PNw15uC6-qgY-zSJTZiBuLzNfplY/edit?usp=sharing)!

-Doug Haworth

PsyBomb
2015-03-01, 11:05 PM
Looks like fun... I'll be giving these a look-over soon, starting with the feats (until I'm up to speed on Seventh Path, I can't review the rest as well. Working on that)

Doomeye56
2015-03-01, 11:07 PM
well time to spend the rest of night reading over all this

Edit: I feel like I need to wait to see the Medium to use as a control before I start giving any opinions.

drafghast
2015-03-11, 01:02 PM
Thanks for all the input, guys! Look forward to seeing the completed form of this in the (very) near future. :)

-Doug

Thealtruistorc
2015-06-10, 09:40 PM
Some queries I have:

1. How come the Husks are considered to be augmented humanoids rather than undead in their description? The egophile abilities list them as undead, and conceptually they meet most of the criteria for being undead (save for the lack of a constitution score, though I suppose that can be tinkered with). On that note, it would neat to see some way for psions to create them and control them, similar to how necromancers do with other undead.

2. Would it not make more sense to have the empty husk and shattered husk be templates? It has always bugged me that many creatures actually become significantly weaker and far less distinct when they become something else, and I would like to see at least a semblance of the original entity maintained after rebirth (for example, why does every creature that becomes a bodak emerge as a medium humanoid shape? What if somebody wanted a dog bodak?)

3. Will there be much support for psionic undead? It would be interesting to see what could be done with the premise.

Seerow
2015-06-11, 09:27 AM
It might help if you included in the OP a little bit about what this project is. "Seventh Path" tells us nothing at all. Is this just a book of new psionic options? Will there be new psionic classes? Will it be new options relating to all DSP material, including PoW and Akasha?

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-11, 10:51 AM
I'm seconding Seerow's question. It looks like it's going to be sort of like Occult Adventures but for psionics, but I really can't tell. Are we getting any new subsystems, or is it just an expansion on psionics?

Vhaidara
2015-06-11, 11:15 AM
I third the request for a tl;dr.

Will likely read it over more when I have time, but that might be a while.

meemaas
2015-06-11, 12:54 PM
While not the designers I can give you a cliff notes version of the basis. The Seventh Path is a psionic discipline focusing primarily on a variation of Necromancy with a psionic twist. Since it was never explored in 3.5

Unlike regular necromancy, the seventh path powers focus themselves primarily around spirits and ghosts more than anything else.

Psyren
2015-06-11, 12:54 PM
I'm seconding Seerow's question. It looks like it's going to be sort of like Occult Adventures but for psionics, but I really can't tell. Are we getting any new subsystems, or is it just an expansion on psionics?

Assuming it's the same Seventh Path they've been working on for awhile now, it's basically "Necromancy for Psionics, plus some other cool -mancies we thought of."

And it's about bloody time I say :smalltongue: they've been talking about this for years now.

meemaas
2015-06-11, 12:56 PM
Assuming it's the same Seventh Path they've been working on for awhile now, it's basically "Necromancy for Psionics, plus some other cool -mancies we thought of."

And it's about bloody time I say :smalltongue: they've been talking about this for years now.

It is the same. I remember perusing the powers playtest some time before the first DSP site went down.

Psyren
2015-06-11, 12:58 PM
^Indeed.

@OP: My advice is that you guys wait until after Occult Adventures drops. There's going to be not just cool spirit stuff in that book, but also Pathfinder rules around emotions and auras and other such things that you can leverage (and possibly refine) since it'll be OGL.

Thealtruistorc
2015-06-11, 09:57 PM
While not the designers I can give you a cliff notes version of the basis. The Seventh Path is a psionic discipline focusing primarily on a variation of Necromancy with a psionic twist. Since it was never explored in 3.5

Unlike regular necromancy, the seventh path powers focus themselves primarily around spirits and ghosts more than anything else.

Calling it "Psionic Necromancy" has irked the devs in the past, from what I remember. Essentially, Athanatism is power over souls, just as telepathy is power over the mind and metacreativity is power over ectoplasm. Imagine all of those movies and books you've seen or read who have those people who have connections to a "spirit world" or who commune with the deceased, who conjure the souls of the dead to aid them or bind souls to various thingamajigs. That is what athanatism is all about.

SwordPsion
2015-06-14, 01:49 PM
It seems vaguely Incarnum-esque to me. I do see the "necromancy", with ghosts and negative energy and such, but then there's all the stuff about souls (and ghosts are sometimes depicted as lost souls in purgatory). Incarnum even had "psycarnum" interactions with psionics, as well as necrocarnum interactions with necromancy. Psionic necrocarnum?

Psyren
2015-06-14, 02:02 PM
It seems vaguely Incarnum-esque to me. I do see the "necromancy", with ghosts and negative energy and such, but then there's all the stuff about souls (and ghosts are sometimes depicted as lost souls in purgatory). Incarnum even had "psycarnum" interactions with psionics, as well as necrocarnum interactions with necromancy. Psionic necrocarnum?

They have incarnum already (http://shop.d20pfsrd.com/products/akashic-mysteries-subscription) - this is slightly different; a new psionic discipline and some additional rules, rather than an entirely new magic system.

Againstusername
2015-10-24, 09:42 PM
Both feet in the grave and foot in the grave is unplayable weak power that essentially curses your character. Switching bodies with an undead but gaining no supernatural abilities is a horrible power! There are way easier ways of becoming undead if for some reason you want this. Plus, once you've used it once you can't use the power to go back to a living body.
I suppose if you are already undead with powerful supernatural abilities but want a body with higher strength or something then I'm that very unusual condition it could be useful